From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2647
Date: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:33 PM

1. Re: Broken Head Bolt advice
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

2. To any owners in Chicago area
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: .....Refilling the final drive separately on an automatic
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Re: .....Refilling the final drive separately on an automatic
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

5. Re: Re: .....Refilling the final drive separately on an automatic
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: .....Refilling the final drive separately on an automatic
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:16:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Broken Head Bolt advice

Jeff,

Recently I saw a head bolt removed with a tool that looks like a nut
with left handed, tapered threads. As the tool threads onto the bolt,
it ultimately (in theory, anyway) is tight enought to unthread the
bolt.  I'm sure someone in the group knows the name if the tool.

Of course heat (torch w/ mape gas works well if you don't have an
oxy/ace setup) plus plenty of penetrating oil is necessary, as well.
Giving the penetrating oil a few days to work will probably save you a
lot of time in the long run.

Woody

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:54:09 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: To any owners in Chicago area

July 17th at 9:30pm, Marcus Theater in Orland Park, IL. will be
showing Back to the Future as part of their cult status movie
Sundays.  I will be bringing my car that night.  If anyone else that
lives in the Chicagoland area would like to make a spectical of sorts
out of this, I will call the theater and see if they want to do
anything special on account of our cars.  You can e-mail me at:
coreysmoo(AT)hotmail.com.

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:43:38 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: .....Refilling the final drive separately on an automatic

Hi Mike.  You're right on track with this one.  Unscrew the top filler
plug and then remove the bottom one to drain faster.  Plug the bottom
back up when it's done.  You will need a large grease gun (like a big
syringe) with a flexible hose.  Inject the gear oil into the top
filler hole until it starts to drain out and quickly plug it up.  It
helps to have a lift and a friend who's ready to get messy.  Don't
forget your crush washers.

Johnny
5518

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:00:19 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

It's all under the car. The drain plug is on the bottom of the cast part
(not the black painted pan - that's the ATF) and the fill plug is on
the driver side just in front of the axle. Use 80W90 Gear Oil. Getting
the oil in requires some sort of pump. Make sure you can get the fill
plug out before you drain it. Level is right when the oil just runs out
of the filler (or you can get your finger wet in the oil).

The plugs both use that square 8MM socket that the OEM oil and trans
drains use.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_b...>

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:25:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

It can also be done with a long hose and funnel from
above, instead of a pump..

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 20:22:36 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Just in case there is some confusion - the automatic has TWO fluids
in it. The Automatic Trans Fluid (ATF) is put in via the dipstick and
drained via the plug in the metal pan underneath. The Final Drive (90-
weight) oil is put in via the filler plug on the side and drained via
the plug on the bottom in the aluminum casting. The fluids do not mix
inside the trans, and you cannot check the Final Drive from above.

Always remove the filler plug first.

Dave Swingle (getting way too familiar with automatics for my taste!)