From: "Swingle David-CCOM32" <David.Swingle_at_dml_motorola.com>
To: <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2648
Date: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:26 AM

From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com [mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:30 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: .....Refilling the final drive separately on an automatic
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

3. Re: Broken Head Bolt advice
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. RE: BAE Turbo Availability
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Insurance?
From: "Steve Auyer" <sauyer_at_dml_twcny.rr.com>

6. ticking
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Insurance?
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Insurance?
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. FV buzzing
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

10. RE: BAE Turbo Availability
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. RE: Insurance?
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

12. RE: Air Conditioner Cycles
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. Re: .....Refilling the final drive separately on an automatic
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: Insurance?
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

15. Re: ticking
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: BAE Turbo Availability
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

17. ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: BAE Turbo Availability
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: FV buzzing
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

20. Re: ticking
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: ticking
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: ticking
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

23. To BAC 4U from OWTASYT
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: BAE Turbo Availability
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:27:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: .....Refilling the final drive separately on an automatic

Remove the top filler plug FIRST...  You dont want to
be stuck if you drain the oil out, and cant open the
filler!

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:17:52 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Need guidance regarding gasoline leak

As the one who asked the original question, the problem is solved.
As Marv experienced, I had fuel around the fuel pump.  Tightening
the clamp around the lower boot solved it.  Pump stays nice and dry
as I fill the tank to the top!  Thanks for your help,

Paul

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:19:08 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Broken Head Bolt advice

I don't know the name of the tool, but I think I know what you're
talking
about. They are like small sockets with internal splines that are angled
grip the remains of a bolt. The shaft of the tool is hex-shaped to chuck

very securely into a reversible drill. I bought a set at Sears, and they

worked for me in the past.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:22:34 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: BAE Turbo Availability

BAE has been out of business for a long time. It is unlikely that you
will
find any BAE kits that are unused. You can occasionally find people
selling
cars or just motors with BAE kits on them. And once in a while someone
will
sell a used kit.

Other people have copied BAE kits by fabricating their own components.
It is
not a terribly complictaed setup, so if you have the skills, tools, and
time, you could mimic their setup.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:22:58 -0400
From: "Steve Auyer" <sauyer_at_dml_twcny.rr.com>
Subject: Insurance?

Anyone have trouble insuring their Delorean?

Electric Insurance was glad to provide liability coverage ($500K bodily
injury, $50K property Damage and $50K uninsured
motorist) for an annual premium of $282 but declined to provide coverage
for damage to the Delorean itself.

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 22:31:47 -0000
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: ticking

Got another problem,
Since we have had som heavy rain here in PA, I noticed I have a
ticking sound coming from the back of the car. Everything is running
fine, and haven't had any problems. I looked to see if anything is
lose but everything inside and out seems firm and in place. It seems
to start when the car first starts, then it comes and goes. Not really
with acceleration, it may start then stop at anytime it wishes. I have
an appoitment on Monday for an oil change. I still have another 700
miles before its due but want to have it checked out. Just curious as
to what it maybe. The last tune up it had was in 2002. And since then
I have only put about 4k on it. Mostly beacuse it had a new tranny put
it etc... lots of work.

Thanks darryl

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:39:52 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Insurance?

Steve.. I've had good luck with Hagerty Insurance for all my
collectibles.
Contact me privately for their number if you do not  have.

Roy #0893

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:42:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Yes and No!

It depends greatly upon where you live (for some
unknown reason) and then of course the usual risk
factors; age, driving record, etc.

You'll get dozens of answers.   The Hartford insures
AARP members and their rates are quite reasonable.
It's about the only advantage to getting older.

In L.A. the auto club provies coverage.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:56:36 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: FV buzzing

Yesterday I jumped the otterstad to confirm that it was dead and sure
enough the fans roared to life. I noticed that every time  I
"unjumped" the otterstad leads the frequency valve started buzzing
for a second or two. Is this normal behavior? I don't remember that
happening before but then again it  could be that it did and I didn't
pay attention.

Phil Priestley

Vin 2105
IN FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:00:29 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I have a guy who makes custom turbos here in Fort Worth,
if I could get a hold of one of these kits and show it to him
he could easily replicate it.
The real question is....
How much would someone be willing to pay for these, and how
many people would be interested?

His twin turbos for tuners can be expensive, mainly
because he fits them into places where you could
not normally fit a turbo.
He also makes custom urathane motor mounts
and all that neon colored crap you see on ricer cars.
But he makes good stuff and extracts a lot of
power out of those little suckers!

The main issue with the turbos all goes back the
same old arguments that have ben made before....
from the mouth of Fred Dellis, formally "Legend Industries"
putting a turbo on our engine with the proper changes to
the engine will just burn it up (if you try to get more than
6lbs of boost).
He mentioned how they were changing pistons,
porting heads and all sorts of mods to get the system
to work correctly. (it's all in my Pigeon Forge video).

By the time you get the sort of HP that really makes a
difference you might have to much money in the thing.
You would be better off slapping another engine in there.
There are a lot of options for doing this, and I am sure
most of it can be done for under $10K if you learn from
everyone elses mistakes.
One of those mistakes is that the D's tranny just can't
handle any real horsepower.
It is what it is.

I have decided to keep the Delorean engine pretty much
stock on my "time machine".
Then, I went out and bought a new HEMI V8 Magnum.
I get my speed thrills from it.

- Videobob

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 19:14:54 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

State Farm used to insure my first DeLorean, but their underwriters seem
to be rather iffy, offering liability only.   So on my "new" car,  I
opted for Haggerty - full coverage for a bit over $300, which in
Louisiana is a bargain.  Only catch is a maximum annual mileage of
7,000, but I figure that is reasonable.

KP

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 20:42:17 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Air Conditioner Cycles

John, Small voltage drop when compressor kicks in will be helped by the
alternator. But other thing that will help is, does your existing
alternator
keep the battery charge and most don't. Is the battery taking a charge
and
holding it. It's one thing to be charging with the alternator, but it's
another if it doesn't hold the charge. Finally, What about the grounds.
This
is where you will see a difference all over the car with clean positive
grounds.
Home of the Alternators and AC Systems.

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 01:52:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The El Cheapo way to fill the final drive (and the 5-speed too) is to
just stick a short piece of tubing onto the 1 quart plastic bottle of
gear oil, hold it up close to the trans and squeeze. It is a pain in
the neck but it is effective. Harder to do in the wintertime when it
is cold. Just don't let the hose come out of the trans or fall off the
bottle! Don't ask me how I know. If you can't get the level plug loose
on the side with the adapter you can try putting a big pipe wrench on
it. Or a short piece of square stock bent into an el with a piece of
pipe over it and give it a sharp, fast tug. Do not overfill, let any
excess drain out before you put the level plug back. Check the
automatic transmission level as per the Workshop Manual. Do it on
level ground. If you don't have the magnetic drain plugs they are a
good investment.

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:01:59 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

www.hagerty.com is the best insurance for classic cars. If your
DeLorean is not your daily driver, I suggest giving them a call. No
hassle, no deductable, simple pricing guide, set your replacement
value. Mechanic of your choice. No restrictions for who is driving,
where you are driving it etc. They will be happy to explain in full
detail.

Byron

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 19:07:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: ticking

If it is moisture related, it may be bad wires..  the
spark is jumping from the wire to the block.

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:37:48 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

> One of those mistakes is that the D's tranny just can't
> handle any real horsepower.
> It is what it is.
<SNIP>

The DeLorean transmission can handle quite a bit of power. Up to about
300hp or so. You just can't go out and dump the clutch all the time
trying to do burn outs. That is the stress that the two-piece input
shaft can't handle. It's just like the new Ford Mustangs. They don't
use live axles, but rather half-shafts and CV joints on their rear ends.

A coworker had a '04 Cobra, with a super charger, and dyno'd at about
a little over 400hp at the rear wheels. I'd seen him drag it, and he
NEVER broke the rear wheels loose. Not once did he ever have a problem
with the rear half shafts. One night, we saw 2 seperate Mustangs snap
their half-shafts just doing burn outs.

So it's the same thing. It's not that the DeLorean 5-Speed tranny
can't handle the power output, it's just that you can't abuse it.

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 04:00:33 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )

Hi guys,
I wanted your opinion on this delorean.  The ad says that it was
restored by
Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel.  I know these guys worked on other
deloreans with monster garage and such.  Does anybody know the history
of
this car.  Also what do you think about the salvage title thing.  I
figure
it must have been an electrical type thing cause you wouldnt spend that
kind
of money fixing a car with a busted frame.  Do these guys frequent the
board?  Any info and opinions appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex Morgan
item number 4553653356

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=45536
53356&category=31830

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 03:43:10 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

 Ultimately VB the draw back to custom mods is documentation. Im sure
everyone on the list can find someone to fabricate anything for their
cars but how do you have it serviced or repaired? Can replacement
parts or service be performed by other than the original fabricator or
installer?
  Ive got a ton of info pertaining to some wild mods to the PRV, Ive
also got direct contact with the guys in England who do the work for
DMCH's engine, I've been informed that they can get really wicked
power out of the PRV, but unfortunately its real pricey, maybe if 50
owners would chaulk up the $$$ then maybe it would be feasible.
  Its my opinion that the only place to get any documented, guaranteed
performance mods is from one of the vendors. If DMCH could boost the
power of the stage II engine even further than its present incarnation
I'm sure more owners would go that route. Perhaps PJ Grady would
consider replicating 502's set up...Rob's got the castings from what I
hear, or maybe Marc would like to venture to replicate his TT set up
through one of the vendors. and make a decent buck.
  As unique the Delorean is, its also equally as obscure in terms of
aftermarket. Just my worthless 2 cents.
 Harry

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 06:08:26 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: FV buzzing

Phil - In looking at the wiring diagram, the only thing that comes
to mind is that the fan motors have capacitors to ground for noise
suppression (probably), and perhaps the capacitors are bleeding off
a charge into ground that is back-feeding into the FV when power is
removed from the main fan power feed.  I don't see any obvious
connections other than that.  I have never noticed this behavior
before in Winged1.  Hmmm.  An experiment might be in order!

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:55:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

my friends dad saw the car tonight, just to look but while i was running
it he said it sounded like it was "missing". It seems to have a hard
time starting today, usually it only acts up if i have been using it all
day, but today almost every other time i would start it it would idle
really low and have to build up to a nice idle, or i would have to pump
the gas pedal.

Thanks again,

Darryl VIN 5898

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:53:00 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Look for arcing from a wet and/or broken plug wire.  It would also be a
good idea to disconnect the wires from the plugs, one at a time, and
blow any water out of the wells.  If you find arcing, new wires are
called for.  We have the original Bougicord.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=102702&Qty=1&ShowCart=tr

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 03:14:54 EDT
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: To BAC 4U from OWTASYT

Hi,

This is the guy in the Saturn who said Hi to you while you were having
your
Delorean fueled in Whittier.  It's always annoying to me that when I
drive  my
D, I don't see any others (except when I take it to Garden Grove for
servicing) and when I drive my Saturn, I do see the occasional D.
Regardless, it's
good to see such a well-kept D on the road.  Hope to see  you on the
road
again soon, and this time, I'll be in mine.

Dean Thomas

Delorean #016259

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 09:14:11 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I am betting it is easier to find parts for, and make repairs to a crate
350
Checy V8
than it is for a PRV.
Just about any modern engine you cram in there is going to be easy to
find
parts for and service.
The only specialty parts would be custom transmission parts, mounting
brackets, etc.
Everything else would be the same.
You would have the same DeLorean wireing (which is crap).

If I had some real foolish money, I would put in that Northstar kit,
and the DMCH interior - nice.
- VB

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:22:00 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

This is pretty amusing. I (Dave) am one of the list moderators and
run the dmcnews.com web page, and Rich is the D-Rex Monster
truck/Monster Garage Hovercraft guy. We both sign posts so I'm a bit
surprised at the question. I guess we don't self-promote enough.

Anyway  - there are TONS of details on this car in the previous
couple of issues of Gullwing Magazine, including lots of pictures.
Also - since the seller (obviously a dealer that's handling the sale
for the owner that I did the work for) ignored my request (and never
responded) to remove our names from the ebay ad, I'll repeat my
concerns here.

I asked them to remove our names because I do not consider the car
a "restoration" in the true sense of the word. Don't get me wrong, it
is a very nice driver-level car, but if you are expecting a
museum/concours quality restoration this isn't it. The frame and
suspension is very solid but needs some cleaning and painting.
There's a chance that some of this was done since the car left here
(about a year ago) but you'll note that the ebay ad has has no
undercarriage pictures. It's in about 98% mechanical shape, when it
left here everything worked and worked well.

The original damage was an electrical fire in the dash. That's what
caused the salvage title. The current owner bought the car at a
salvage auction in 1985 or so. The car has not been out in the
weather since then. The entire interior has been replaced, there is
absolutely no trace that this ever happened either visually or odor
(the fire was in approximatly 1984). There was over $1000 in new
parts (clutch, radiator etc.) added by me, as well as a significant
number of parts including most of the interior/fuel/brake systems
from a pristine donor car that had been rolled in a high-speed
accident (photos on the www.dmcnews.com web page on the tech section
regarding trailing arms, but that's another story).

It's a good car and the price is reasonable. It's also listed on the
dmcnews.com ad page if you'd rather go around ebay.

My only objection to the description is that I thought the condition
was a bit overstated, at least from when it left here. Plus  - they
never asked permission for the reference.

Dave Swingle