From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2649
Date: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 3:51 PM

1. Re: FV buzzing
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

2. Re: ticking
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

3. Re: Re: FV buzzing
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

4. Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

5. Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: FV buzzing
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: BAE Turbo Availability
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

8. Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: BAE Turbo Availability
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Cost of a Turbo.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Air Conditioner Cycles
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: BAE Turbo Availability
From: "lotusdmc_8a" <lotusdmc_8a_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Re: FV buzzing
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

15. RE: Insurance?
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

16. Re: PRV Parts Availability
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. Re: ebay delorean
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

18. Re: ebay delorean ( Fire In The Dash)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

19. Re: BAE Turbo Availability
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

20. Re: Insurance?
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. RE: Insurance?
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

22. Re: ebay delorean ( Fire In The Dash)
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

23. RE: Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

24. Re: ebay delorean
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

25. Re: Insurance?
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:30:08 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: FV buzzing

It is probably just the fuel mixture change required for the fan
load plus the voltage spike from the fan shutdown. I wouldn't worry
about it.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:51:39 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: ticking

If the spark plug boots are not on tightly you may have water in the
spark plug wells. This can lead to all sorts of issues. It is
probably worth a check. If you find water, blow it out and spray a
little wd-40 into the well and on the plug. This will displace any
moisture. Bad plug wires will cause a spark jump to ground that will
give a nice tick. When it is good and dark, watch for illumination
around the spark wires - if you see some, it is time for new wires
and plugs, etc.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:19:44 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Re: FV buzzing

Phil

Nothing to worry about. This could be a normal behavior. Especially if your
battery was a little low or your fans are a bit old and draw a lot of
current. When you remove the load of the fans from the electrical system it
causes a spike that apparently in your case is enough to trigger the RPM
relay. Check the voltage in the system when the fans are running. If it gets
really low you might want to check the fans to make sure they are not
drawing too much current. If they are ok then check the battery and of
course all the ground connections (at the fans, at the frame, near the
battery at the frame).

Hope this helps you out a bit

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

From: "Toby Peterson"

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:27:15 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )

I like how they say it has the "Rare 5 speed" transmission.

Where does it say it has a busted frame?

Mark V

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:22:53 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

My favorite line from the auction:

"This DMC has the very desirable and RARE 5-Speed Manual Transmission,
which really adds to its collector status!!!"

What's sad is that I think I remember seeing the same type of pimping
for the automatic I bought.  Of all the unique and cool things about
these vehicles...

--Greg

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:29:59 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

My guess is that when the fans come on the system voltage drops enough
to shut the Lamda ECU down. This can be because of loose/dirty
electrical connections, a low or old battery, or an alternator that
isn't putting out enough. First have the battery load tested and have
the alternator tested for output. Many places will do this for free to
sell you new stuff. If they are bad replace. If they check out start
cleaning all electrical connections and make sure the belt to the
alternator is not slipping. The FV should buzz all the time the engine
is running.

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:36:56 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: BAE Turbo Availability

I forgot to add into this, he NEVER did any burn outs, nor spun the
wheels. He just gently took off, and acellerated the car quickly.
Never once did he abuse the rear end.

Of course all the TLC in the world is no match for a chop shop if the
car gets stolen.

http://lvracingscene.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5230&st=15

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_c...>

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:36:33 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Does it feature the equally rare and hard to find coveted stainless steel body panels and rare optional gullwing doors?
- VB

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:53:16 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

A person who I would consider an authority on the power handling
capabilites of the Delorean, Fred Dellis, said it very simply. He said
they could get all the power they wanted out of the PRV, the weak link
was the transmission. Long range plans were to dump the Renault trans.
It was too weak and the French were too hard to deal with. Any serious
upgrade must consist of using a different transmission. Over 200 HP
and you will be repairing trans too often. Of course if you drive
crazy and dump the clutch all the time you can abuse the car without
adding horsepower and will be damaging the drivetrain with the stock
set-up. Increasing the HP just makes everything happen faster. The
Island Turbo seems to be a reasonable compromise with a modest
increase in HP while still keeping most of the car stock. I guess the
same goes for the BAE as long as you keep the boost below 6#. BTW
dumping the clutch on a turbo car is EXACTLY the same effect as
dumping on a stock PRV. The turbos don't kick in till you have the
revs up over 2,500 or so. I don't recomend popping the clutch in 1st
gear. One of the first signs is a broken trans mount on the front left
side. If you want to do burn-outs get a lock valve for the front
wheels. It is a whole lot easier on the car, just not the tires.

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:00:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cost of a Turbo.

How much are you willing to spend on a Legend-like
modification?

If you take the cost of the Island* setup ($8000), and
then add in the additional cost of rebuilding the
engine using the custom engine internals, you are
easily over $10K for the project.

*I use the Island as an example, because externally it
is similar to the Legend setup.  The Legend would
additionally require the fabrication of the well
recognized "V" intake manifold, and inter-coolers.
That alone would be another $1500 added to the $8000.

I have doubts that there are too many, if anyone out
there willing to spend that kind of money on this
project.  Even if there were 5 (nice round number), it
would not be practical.

Given 10K to spend on engine performance, the money
could go further with other options.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, and
want an Island twin turbo *OR* Legend twin turbo drop
me a note.

<SNIP>

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:05:50 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Air Conditioner Cycles

Thank you, I will look at the contacts and the battery. My alternator
is the original ducey, and seems to work ok. I was hoping that an
alternator upgrade would eliminate some of the hard up/down idling.

> John, Small voltage drop when compressor kicks in will be helped by
the
> alternator. But other thing that will help is, does your existing
alternator
> keep the battery charge and most don't. Is the battery taking a
charge and
> holding it. It's one thing to be charging with the alternator, but
it's
> another if it doesn't hold the charge. Finally, What about the
grounds. This
> is where you will see a difference all over the car with clean
positive
> grounds.
> John Hervey
> www.specialtauto.com
> Home of the Alternators and AC Systems.

Behalf

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:25:54 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Thanks for the info.  I knew you had posted in the past but I didnt know you
were a moderator. (sorry).  I just had a couple more questions for you about
this delorean.  To your knowledge have all the updates been done to the car
(t.a.b. new hoses, updated fanfail etc.)  Also, Im not looking for a museum
piece but a solid daily driver.  This car sounds like that.  Could you tell
me what you think the car is worth if it is exactly as you left it?  Is
there any drawbacks to buying a salvage vehicle like this. (i.e. resale,
later problems etc.)
Thanks again,
Alex

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:19:45 -0000
From: "lotusdmc_8a" <lotusdmc_8a_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I have turbocharged engine and tranny for sale.  Turbo is a BAE kit
in excellent condition.  See DML message #52538 for details.  If
interested email me.

lotusdmc_8a(AT)yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:36:23 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

Thanks to everyone for the replies. When I performed the test I did
not have the engine running, just had the key on so it could very
well be some sort of electrical feedback.

Phil Priestley

Vin 2105
IN FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:36:17 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Insurance?

Interesting... I have state farm and they do full coverage on my D... They
have always been very good to me.

Darkstar

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:43:23 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: PRV Parts Availability

Douvrin cranked out nearly 1 million PRV's over a quarter century
production run. Parts availability for the engine itself is not an
issue, even on this side of the Atlantic where its use was much less
common than in Europe.

Far bigger concern would ordinarily be DMC specific parts, such as
interior trim and body panels. But as we all know, Houston is well
stocked with just about everything left over from the factory (rumor
is they even have 4 left fenders).

Perhaps Martin Gutkowski could quote production numbers/parts
availability for the transmissions.

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:52:44 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: ebay delorean

I can't say that all the updates were done, but everything was in
good shape when it left here. There was a list several pages long of
replaced parts. The seller has it and all the receipts, but somehow I
lost my copy of the list. I know I put a new clutch, hydraulics, and
a used stainless clutch line on it, as well as a couple of wheel
bearings. I has the 3-wire fan fail, a factory door lock module, I
believe it still had the original relays, etc. Honestly I can't
recall if put Toby TABs or regular ones in it - maybe photographic-
memory Rich will recall that one. I used the hoses off the "donor"
car which, while not new, are not the original 24-year-old ones
either. It has a stainless header bottle off the donor as well. The
suspension is original. The stainless is flawless, the interior is
very close to flawless. The only "common-failure" part that was not
replaced was the water pump.

The only thing that left here not working was the Air Conditioner. I
have no way to recharge it, and the owner did as part of his
business. My assumption is that he took care of that, but I'd ask if
it's been converted to R134 or is still running R12.

On a 25-year old car I can't see any disadvantage to a Salvage title.
At this age condition is the most important factor, much more than
mileage or title status, especially on a "driver" car.

The ad is listed on www.dmcnews.com, (Duane Poell) I think that price
is very fair.

If I were a buyer I'd probably upgrade the suspension and just drive
it.

Dave

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:56:05 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: ebay delorean ( Fire In The Dash)

A fire in the dash, eh? Could it have been caused by the headlight
master switch....

My DeLo almost burned up from a melting (as in flaming plastic) switch.

Wiring mod (added side/tail light relay) now passes a mere 30
milliamps through the new switch (with 1A fuse protection) AND I've
removed the internal illumination ground wire (I know where the button
is -- don't need it to light up). Do not expect any future difficulties.

There's a pic of my melted switch/harness connector (they exist as one
piece now) in #5939's photo album. Note the wires with melted
insulation are Red/Orange and Black -- internal illumination shorted out.

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:59:41 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

This seems to be a myth.  Lotus has used the same gearbox since
1988 in all 4-cyl Esprits since the SE.  It was also the gearbox used
in all V8 Esprits.  Horsepower for these cars rose from around
220hp up through 350hp.

-------------- Original message from "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>: --------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:14:03 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

When I was talking to my agent (I'm fully insured with SF too), his
take on it was that I've been a customer with other cars for a long
time with them, and that adding an exotic wasn't a problem in that
case.  If I had come up as a new customer wanting DeLorean coverage
alone, they may not have taken the policy.

--Greg

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:58:45 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

As explained to me, State Farm underwriters claim that DeLoreans are
difficult to repair and they have had problems with claims on these
cars.  They continue to grandfather those cars that were already
covered, but as my D was a recent add-on they would only cover
liability, and supposedly they only agreed to do the liability because I
have been a customer for over 20 years.  The fact that I had previously
insured a Delorean with them did not matter.  Hence the change to
Hagerty.

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 20:17:13 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Don't go starting rumors - I still have the original burned harness and
dash  here and I can tell about where it started. It was not the light
switch. At this point it doesn't really matter anyway. The fire was over 20 years ago and there are no involved parts still in the car.

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:59:39 -0400
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

I hope Dave & Rich and are getting a commission off this sale!!

Jason

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 20:29:34 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Nope - but we got paid for the work and got to keep all the leftover
parts, essentially an entire junk DeLorean. Still selling and using
parts off that one.

Dave S

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:34:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

My situation was similar.  I left L.A. for the
mountains of Colorado and had to change insurance
because I was covered by the So Cal Auto Club.  Though
State Farm was happy to take my house insurance and
insurance on my new Jeep Cherokee, they would not
touch my DeLorean and I had a squeaky clean driving
record.  Go Figure!

Oh, and I drive too much for every "collector
insurance" I've tried.  Even those who say "unlimited
mileage" turned me down because they say my other
daily driver cars do not appear reliable enough ( in
their hymble opinion) to preclude my using the
DeLorean as a daily driver.  That's because, I guess,
my other three cars have 191,000/344,000/and 182,000
miles on them.

Geez, I hope Bill Robertson doesn't try them.  They's
really be shocked.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867