From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2650
Date: Thursday, June 02, 2005 8:59 AM

1. Fuel Pump Problem
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Air Conditioner Cycles
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>

3. No Crossover Pipe?
From: "Ralf Philipp" <enteklemmer_at_dml_web.de>

4. Re: Insurance?
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

5. RE: Insurance?
From: "Jim Rowlette" <emooman_at_dml_msn.com>

6. Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

7. Re: Insurance?
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Re: Insurance?
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

9. Re: Fuel Pump Problem
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

10. Re: Air Conditioner Cycles
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Fuel Pump Problem
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Re: Insurance?
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. Re: Fuel Pump Problem
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Article on Hagerty Insurance's website
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Fuel Pump Problem
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Value of a "restored" DeLorean
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Insurance?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

18. Re: Value of a "restored" DeLorean
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

19. Re: Insurance?
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

20. USAA Insurance
From: <bill.schafer_at_dml_us.army.mil>

21. Re: Value of a "restored" DeLorean
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: ebay delorean ( Fire In The Dash)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

23. Re: Insurance?
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

24. Re: Value of a "restored" DeLorean
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: No Crossover Pipe?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 20:55:35 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Fuel Pump Problem

For reasons unknown, I am getting no power to my fuel pump.  Does
anyone know any common problems that can occur that I just am not
seeing?  Or does anyone know specifics on what causes this?

Corey

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:05:25 -0700
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Air Conditioner Cycles

First off cycling every 2 or 3 seconds means you are low on gas in the AC
and needs to be recharged, should cycle every 8 to 10 seconds, upgrading the
alternator to a higher output will soften the cycle kick in, not stop it, I
put a 100 amp Delco on mine and it is really hard to tell when it kicks in
and the lights don't dim any more. Plus all grounds to the frame must be
clean.

Lloyd--#3502

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 23:13:54 +0200
From: "Ralf Philipp" <enteklemmer_at_dml_web.de>
Subject: No Crossover Pipe?

Hi Bill!

Are there any pictures of your exhaust setup available? Sounds interesting
to me...

bye,
Ralf.
10284

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:26:22 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Insurance?

Darkstar... I'm sure that all insurance companies have quirks about, but  the
one company I would never have is State Farm.  It goes all the way back  to
1968.  I had just returned from Viet Nam and had saved all sorts of cash  and
bought a brand new 1969 GTO (notice the Delorean line here) and State Farm
would not insure it.  I had a clean licence but their excuse was I had not  been
driving much in the last two years, kinda wonder why. Here I was, a  combat
veteran, decorated and wounded, and they would not insure me.   That did it with
them for me.  I have had no desire to go back to  those people.  By the way,
clean licence for the past 36 years with no  accidents and all kinds of toys
and they lost a solid customer.
Just my two cents.
Roy  #0893

In a message dated 6/1/2005 3:49:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net writes:

Interesting... I have state farm and they do full coverage on my D...  They
have always been very good to  me.

Darkstar

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:10:57 -0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
From: "Jim Rowlette" <emooman_at_dml_msn.com>

I recently bought a 1983 DeLorean and had no problem adding it to my
Allstate Insurance policy with full coverage....liability/collision.....for
roughly $400/yr in Northern Virginia.
According to the DeLorean history Allstate Insurance was one of the original
sponsors of the car because of its safety feathers ?

 Jim Rowlette

From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com [mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:19:34 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )

This car has been run through Ebay at least once before. While there
are reasons for a private auction, I'm always a little suspicious of
them when it comes to something innocuous like cars.

The description is rather misleading, too:

"The current Nada Retail Value comes in at $27,500 and allows for a 30
percent increase for a professionally refurbished vehicle - - - and
this one has been refurbished by the ABSOLUTE BEST - - -that means
this one has a value of $35,750 - - - -"

What's the NADA book really says is "Models professionally restored or
refurbished by DeLorean Motor Company MAY BRING UP A CONSIDERABLE
PREMIUM (UP TO 30%) OVER VALUES LISTED. (caps mine, not NADA's).

The first time it was listed, I called the dealer selling the car for
the owner and asked that it be re-worded to not be misleading and he
actually told me over the phone "you ever hear of buyer beware?" - yikes.

FWIW, DMC has bought a DeLorean or two over Ebay and are 1 for 2 in
getting what we thought we were getting. I personally have bought
three cars (non-DeLoreans) through Ebay and am 1 for 3. In both cases,
the car we did "good" on was the car we physically went to look at, or
had someone knowledgeable look at for us.

For Ebay cars, my rule is if you don't know the seller, AT LEAST get
someone knowledgeable to look at the car in person for you if you
can't look at it yourself. Descriptions can be worded with multiple
interpretations and photos taken to accentuate the positive and
downplay (or ouright hide) the negative.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

(SNIP)

> I asked them to remove our names because I do not consider the car
> a "restoration" in the true sense of the word. Don't get me wrong, it
> is a very nice driver-level car, but if you are expecting a
> museum/concours quality restoration this isn't it. The frame and
> suspension is very solid but needs some cleaning and painting.
> There's a chance that some of this was done since the car left here
> (about a year ago) but you'll note that the ebay ad has has no
> undercarriage pictures. It's in about 98% mechanical shape, when it
> left here everything worked and worked well.

(SNIP)

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:24:40 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

So then, for those of us who drive our DeLoreans daily, where do you
go for insurance?

I have full coverage through State Farm. The prices are OK, but I've
been thinking of leaving them due to their claims people - they fight
claims tooth and nail. I just want a fair deal, you know? And I could
see them coming back with, "well, we found some DeLoreans for $8k, so
that's all we're giving you for your car."

When my Fiero was wrecked (fresh 3.1l engine upgrade; pristine car car
valued at $3,000 - $4,000) they pulled ads for some beat up 4 bangers
and offered me $1000. "That's all your car is worth." I in turn pulled
ads for similar custom, pristine Fieros, showed them dozens and dozens
of asking prices from $4,000 - $8,000, and was shot right down: "Those
don't count. What the car actually sells for is all that counts." And
conveniently that information is completely unavailable since most
nice Fieros move through private parties. Now, I pressured them and
ended up getting more than their initial offer, but I still got
screwed, and I know they'd play the same game if something ever
happened to my DeLorean.

What I'd really like is a nice agreed value policy... but all of those
seem to have restrictions against daily drivers.

-Ryan

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:23:55 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

Sure am glad I was in the military.  I just bought a DeLorean and USAA
insurance covered it, no questions asked.  For those of you that don't know.
USAA is insurance for veterans and active duty persons.

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:26:09 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Problem

Corey - There have been quite a few posts over the years on this
topic, but in a nut shell - Look at fuses #1 (fuel pump relay, among
others) and #7 (RPM relay among others), the RPM relay itself, the
inertia switch, and the wiring to and at the pump.  The RPM relay is
currently the most popular cause for this problem.  You can test it
by removing it and bypassing it in its connector.  If the pump works
with the bypass jumper in place, this indicates that the RPM relay is
bad.  The shop manual shows you a diagram as to where this part is.
The bypass is inserted between terminals 87b and 30 in the
connector.  Check all of these items out, and then we can work from
there.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 00:54:39 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

That is good news. Will find somewhere they can recharge my ac, then
work on a new alt and save the ducey for a rainy day...

John

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:59:33 -0000
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I'm not a tech stud or anything, but make sure the fuse to the fuel
pump is not fried and then check and make sure the inertia switch is
down.

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:27:09 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Insurance?

I deleted part of this thread before I thought about responding with
my recent change in insurers, so I apologize if this was already
mentioned.
I just switched all my cars to Esurance.com for insurance, including
the D; I'm in TX.
-

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:53:31 -0700
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

There are several components to the fuel pump circuit that can cause this.
Let's start at beginning of the circuit:

Number 7 fuse - Is the fuse good? Contacts clean? Fuse box melted? If the
contacts are dirty, it can cause excessive heat which will melt the fuse
box and break the circuit.

RPM Relay - Do you have 12 volts on pin 30 of the wire harness? Does the
fuel pump run when you install a jumper between pins 30 and 87? If so,
replace the relay.

Fuel pump harness - Is there 12 volts on the white/purple wire (with the
RPM relay bypassed and the meter grounded at a known good ground). If so,
change the meter's ground to the black/purple wire. If you still have 12
volts, then the pump is bad. If you don't have a full 12 volts, then it's
your ground wiring.

Inertia switch - This switch cuts the fuel pump ground in an accident. Is
there a white dot indicating it was replaced in a recall? If not, it's
original and needs to be replaced.

Hope this helps,

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 00:18:37 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Article on Hagerty Insurance's website

Back in April, Johnny (vin 5518) posted a link here to a poll about
DeLoreans on Hagerty's website.  Well, I was just at the site
reading about their insurance, and it just so happened that a news
story title scrolled by containing our favorite "D" word.
Seems to be the results of the poll.

Hopefully this isn't a repost, but here's the link:

http://tinyurl.com/acfa9

-Derek L

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:44:22 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

There can be many causes for the power not to be at the fuel pump.
Here are some of the common ones:
Bad RPM relay
Blown or burnt #7 fuse (burnt meaning contacts, fuseblock, etc.)
Bad connections at plug by Washer bottle
Corroded wiring at fuel pump
Bad inertia switch or other problem in grounding circuit.
I would start by bypassing the RPM relay and making sure the inertia
switch is not tripped. It may be possible there IS power at the pump,
it is just bad and won't run anymore. Get a voltmeter and go looking.
Don't trust ANY grounds, verify before looking for voltage.

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 19:09:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Value of a "restored" DeLorean

I am not sure why a DeLorean restored by DMCH is any
better (or worse) than Dave Swingle, Rich Weissensel,
Rob Grady, or even DeLorean One...

Are you saying a DMCH car is better?  Why would this
be the case?  Do you keep the better quality NOS parts
for yourself or something?  :)

--- James <james_at_dml_usadmc.com> wrote:

<SNIP>
> The description is rather misleading, too:
>
> "The current Nada Retail Value comes in at $27,500
> and allows for a 30
> percent increase for a professionally refurbished
> vehicle - - - and
> this one has been refurbished by the ABSOLUTE BEST -
> - -that means
> this one has a value of $35,750 - - - -"
>
> What's the NADA book really says is "Models
> professionally restored or
> refurbished by DeLorean Motor Company MAY BRING UP A
> CONSIDERABLE
> PREMIUM (UP TO 30%) OVER VALUES LISTED. (caps mine,
> not NADA's).

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 01:38:32 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

No matter who you have insure your car, make sure you
have a recent appraisal.  Makes those negotiations much
easier.

-------------- Original message from Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>: --------------

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 02:32:07 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Value of a "restored" DeLorean

For one thing, I don't give much of a warranty - basically the end of
the driveway on labor (not really that bad, but close), the vendor's
warranty on parts. But I work cheap.

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:46:33 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

SF has always been good to me as well and they were happy to add
my D for full coverage.  But - BIG but here -- SF charges me
$880/year and Hagerty just quoted me $283 for basically the same
coverage.

.............................LP
10440

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 21:45:18 -0500
From: <bill.schafer_at_dml_us.army.mil>
Subject: USAA Insurance

Robert,

  You better check your USAA coverage carefully. I have been with them since 1970 and this year was the first time I got into a lengthy conversation with them about actual coverage amounts on my 1982 DeLorean. From the best I can tell they will not pay replacement value but the value their adjusters think the car to be worth. I asked them to give me a dollar figure and they couldn't do it. It sounds like no matter what the condition your car is in they will only pay the average condition selling price.

I am glad you brought this up as at the time I was trying to get specific answers I was in a hurry to get the car insured and on the road and I didn't follow up with there claims department to get a dollar value but I will tomorrow.

Bill

"Plan for the worst, hope for the best,
 anything better than worst is to your advantage".

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:51:05 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/1/2005 9:30:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,
malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

  I am not  sure why a DeLorean restored by DMCH is any
  better (or worse) than Dave  Swingle, Rich Weissensel,
  Rob Grady, or even DeLorean One...

  Are you  saying a DMCH car is better?  Why would this
  be the case?  Do you  keep the better quality NOS parts
  for yourself or something?   :)

--------------------
Well, they do strip them down to the frame which is more than a lot of
supposed 'restorations' see done.

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 03:05:10 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: ebay delorean ( Fire In The Dash)

Surely you are not arguing that an unfused load bearing device
(internal illumination bulb) is a terrible design oversight...

Had the ground wire not been in there, I doubt mine would have caught
fire.

Compare the headlight circuit to the hazard circuit.

BTW: exactly "about where" did this fire start?

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> Don't go starting rumors - I still have the original burned harness and
> dash  here and I can tell about where it started. It was not the light
> switch. At this point it doesn't really matter anyway. The fire was
over 20 years ago and there are no involved parts still in the car.

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:50:38 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

This is an old, but continues to be an important thread. The coverage is superior by collector car carriers but the limitations are exacting and restricting.
Those that choose to go the collector car insurance provider, please remember that all of these that I am aware of do not allow you to drive it to anywhere except to car events or to exercise the car.

You can't go to the store, mall, and  never can you drive it to work or school!
Ask the carrier before you sign up, otherwise be prepared to lie and or take the consequences if you have an accident. I called Grundy and Hagerty at my last renewal and confirmed again their limitations/restrictions of coverage.

If yours is truly a show car then this will work for you. If you ever want to just drive it, then it probably is not. Don't risk it for a few dollars in savings!

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:13:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

You know this as fact?

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 03:22:06 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: No Crossover Pipe?

See #5939's photo album.

Even if you keep the stock setup, I highly recommend replacing the
crossover to manifold and converter nuts with stainless for easy
removal. Everything in the Valley of Death that is extremely difficult
to access from above is unbelievably easy to access from under the car
(can I get someone with DMCH or DMCUK exhaust to give me an "Amen"?).
But the crossover pipe has to come off first.

The first time I removed mine, and was greeted with the ignition
distributor literally at the end of my nose, I dedicated the remainder
of my life to spreading the good news of PRV access from under the
car. Not only can you replace cap & rotor and spark plug wires easily
(fuel/air mixture unit does need to raise up enough to clear the cap
terminals), but heater core takeoff barb and shutoff valve are right
there, as is the clutch slave cylinder (which is still easier to bleed
from above due to the angle of the bleeder screw), and of course the
ported vacuum switch and its lines. You can even reach in to the back
of the water pump (whose mounting bolts I recommend replacing with
stainless studs & nuts for easier future replacement).