From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2654
Date: Friday, June 03, 2005 6:16 AM

1. Re: Insurance?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

2. RE: Insurance?
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

3. Source of NADA values (was: Value of a "restored" DeLorean)
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. Re: Insurance?
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. NADA guide.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: portable garage
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: USAA insurance
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. New owner needs help
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

9. Re: Value of a "restored" DeLorean
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

10. Re: Value of a "restored" DeLorean
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Radiator air flow and license plate
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Long term storage
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. "725mi" Ebay car in OH
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Frame-up restorations/refurbished cars (was: Value of a "restored" DeLorean)
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

15. Re: "725mi" Ebay car in OH
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: "725mi" Ebay car in OH
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

17. Re: Long term storage
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

18. RE: New owner needs help
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

19. Re: Insurance mis-statement?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

20. DSC Pigeon Forge Car Show Awards DVD
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: Insurance mis-statement?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Re: Insurance?
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

23. Re: New owner needs help
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: NADA guide.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. Re: New owner needs help
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 22:23:51 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Insurance?

They check.  You get a form in the mail periodically asking for
the odometer reading.  It better match in case of a claim.

-------------- Original message from Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>: --------------

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:41:39 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

they will ask for an odometer reading every year.  but it's just a form.
some times they will ask to see the car in person but they never have with
me.

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 22:43:36 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Source of NADA values (was: Value of a "restored" DeLorean)

NADA gets their values for all their cars from their advisory board,
more than 200 different appraisers, dealers, restorers, insurance
agents, auction companies, clubs, finance companies, etc. It's quite a
diverse group.

Each quarter each advisory board member is surveyed for their sales
data across all makes/models. We're NOT the only one reporting values
for DeLoreans, though it would surprise me if anyone else was
reporting as many as we are. I just completed the current report last
week and reported 6 cars sold ranging from $19000 up to $46300.

NADA accounts for the difference in price between a "regular" high
condition car and a completely restored or refurbished car with that
line of text at the bottom. This distinction between a "professionally
restored vehicle" and a "survivor"-type car that are both considered
"high condition", but for two different reasons, is explained in each
edition.

Martin G. commented awhile back (perhaps on the DMCForum) that we
should remove the cars already sold from our web page:

http://www.delorean.com/sales.asp

But I think it's good to list them as it shows what DeLoreans are
selling for these days...the bad part is that they sell faster than we
can get descriptions written and a full range of photos taken. VIN
1510 was listed as "coming soon", and sold earlier this week.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:49:06 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

>> They are just slightly higher because I did an agreed value policy of
>> about $20K

My agent says State Farm does not do agreed value policies. I think
this varies from state to state, but I have asked about it on a couple
of occasions and they say "no".

> I have to ask though, these insurance policies with mileage limits,
> whats the situation with this? is it purely a case of honesty or do
> they actually check? (and even if they do check, how can they tell
> that somebody else hasnt run up any other miles on the car?

My guess is, if you have a major claim, they're going to check the
mileage before paying.

-Ryan

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:36:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: NADA guide.

The December 2004 NADA guide lists "James Espey" as a
member of the Advisory Board.

Furthermore, I spot checked other popular and not so
popular collector cars and found no others that listed
additional values for cars restored by specific
vendors.

__________________________________
Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:22:18 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: portable garage

 Are you reffering to Carcoon maybe?....Great invention

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:48:00 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: USAA insurance

Allstate let me insure mine for a fixed value up to the appraised
value of the vehicle. The appraisal cost me $99.  Presumably, this
will have to be repeated periodically as market values change, but it
probably means I can replace my car with one in similar condition if
the worst happens.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_d...>
wrote:
> I just recieved a wake up call from USAA as well.  We have had two
deloreans on their policy and have just received word that for normal
comprehensive they will only pay low blue book value (9500 I believe)
this is a problem for me since my daily driver is worth significantly
more than that (at least 15-18k).  They did say > [Non-text portions
of this message have been removed]

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:56:53 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: New owner needs help

Hi all.  I just purchased an eightyone DMC and the seller didn't provide me
with any manuals.  In a nutshell, I was screwed on a few other things with
the purchase as well.  Anyway,  where's the fuse box?  I'm trying to figure
out what works and what doesn 't. So locating the fuse box would help alot.
This car has over 113000 miles on it, seller told me it had only 13000.
Stupid me.  I didn't take my time researching the car because I was in shock
that I found a DMC in the first place.  So I have it but can't drive it.  It
needs alot of work but I would like to get it running first.  Any help would
be appreciated.

Lingo

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:11:31 -0400
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Value of a "restored" DeLorean

The book is very subjective as I am sure many have found... The book wont
buy your car..

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:15:40 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/2/2005 9:00:23 A.M. Central Standard Time,
malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

You know  this as fact?

Yes, it says that in the sales brochure I got when I visited the  warehouse
after it opened.  Also James and others have posted online about  it whenever
the discussion comes up of DMC Houston's vs D1's refurbished  cars.

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:37:47 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Radiator air flow and license plate

Hervey's looks the same as the one I got from DMCH, I haven't looked
at Rob's. The way the dam is shaped I think the fans will be able to
suck just like normal-- the plate isn't that close to the grill, and
at highway speeds there is more than enough air flowing that the fans
don't do anything.

However... I still mounted mine to one side instead of the middle! ;-)
I even thought about trimming one of the three mounting slots out but
decided it really wasn't necessary, it moves enough air with the stock
fans. I'd worry about replacement fans with lower SCFMs though, being
in hot Houston....
-Kevin

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 01:36:41 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Long term storage

I am planning on puting my car in storage for around two years while I
go off to college. Since we are moving out of our house and the house
that my mom will probably move into will not have a carport or garage,
what is the best way to go into storing my car until I move to
Missouri where I can store it in the garage at my sister's house? I am
wanting to still work on it but do not want it to sit out in the
parking lot at the university where the partiers can get their crummy
hands on it. I've thought of a museum but they make it difficult to
work on the car, I've thought of mini storage but when a local one had
a meth lab that blew the whole thing up in flames, I realized that
would not work. The other thing I can think of is to either send it
off to my sister's where she offered to store for me in MO or see if
DMCH will keep it for me however I would not be able to see it for
some time. I'm the kind of guy that drinks his coffee looking out the
door at my car. I would read it books but that just wouldn't make
sense :)

Josh

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:49:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: "725mi" Ebay car in OH

Took some pics this eve when I went to see it if any others are interested or
considering bidding on this car.
http://www.wcnet.org/~delorean/images/725mi-EbayCar/

Shannon Y

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:07:42 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Frame-up restorations/refurbished cars (was: Value of a "restored" DeLorean)

So, In order to get a high value on our cars we Have to have a dealer do the
Restoration? I Have all the pictures for my frame off restoration & have posted on dml
my progress by pictures also vin 00915 in the photo section, Am I just wasting my
time & should just let my car rot away? I rebuild cars for a living & maybe I'll start to
Do restoration Deloreans here in my garage in Michigan so Now I've been told that if I
refurbish someones car that it will be worth - Less for the cost of what I spent to
rebuild? this isn't posted against James just the subject!!!!
Lawrence - Michigan
Vin's 00538m/00915a/04783a

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:09:13 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: "725mi" Ebay car in OH

I say no way in hell that car has 725 miles.   Maybe 200,725.   :)

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:26:16 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Did you tell the seller this is no way possible this car has 725 miles
on it?

Mark V

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:30:30 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Long term storage

Josh

The most important things are to store the car where it will stay
warm and dry and to prepare it for long-term storage.  Change
the oil and filter, put in fresh coolant, brake fluid (clutch and
brakes), remove the battery, drain the fuel system.  Remove the
spark plugs and squirt in a good amount of motor oil into the cylinders
and replace the plugs.  Put some dessicant in the interior to keep it
dry and prevent mold and mildew.  Clean everything you can.  Wax
the fascias, treat the leather with a good treatment (Leatherique, Zymol,
Lexol) and weatherstripping with a good silicone cleaner.  When you
park the car, try to keep it away from things that could fall on it, and if
possible, away from places where people will want to set things on it.
You'd be surprised how many little scratches, dings, etc. will accumulate
from stuff just sitting on the car.  A car cover helps with scratches
from walking along side the car and keeps the dust off, but it is not
good protection for piles of stuff.

When you recommission the car, change out all the fluids again.  You
should plan on replacing the tires, lift cylinders, and battery.  You will
also need to spend some quality time with the electrical system.  Go
slow, one system at a time.  Make sure your safety systems work,
like lights, turn signals, and brakes before you try moving the car.
Squirt some oil in the cylinders and let it sit a bit before cranking it over
without the spark plugs installed.  This will give the lightest load on
the starter and get some oil pressure built up before actually
starting the car.

-------------- Original message from "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:30:20 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: New owner needs help

Ling, If you will go to my web site and look under Reference you will see a
lot about the car and the fuse box. I have a section on it also.

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:44:18 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Insurance mis-statement?

It's a good idea to sit down with your insurance agent every two years or
so and go over your policies.  Check coverage levels, remind your agent
of any change in value of your car (improvements, not general maintenance),
and just spend time with them.  It helps that they know who you are if
you need help with a claim.

-------------- Original message from "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>: --------------

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:28:15 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DSC Pigeon Forge Car Show Awards DVD

Hi everyone, after getting many requests from a lot of people to
provide copies of some of the extra footage of the car raffle, the car
show awards, the vendor give away's, and the final charity auction with
Claudia Wells and Jeffrey Weissman.
The end of the video features Bob Gale and others signing
autographs and cracking jokes.
I also spent some time walking around talking to folks,
getting extra shots of stuff and what not....all stuff that
I didn't have room for in the first video.
So far I have stuffed over 3 and a half hours onto one DVD!
If i had left everything I wanted to put in the first
video it would have been at least 6 hours long!
ooof.

I have been procrastinating making this for people, so
I figured I would finally get it out.
This video doesn't have all the production value
the first series had, it is the raw, uncut, un-edited
video direct from the Mini-DV tapes to DVD.
You get to see everything!

The video is only $10.00 measly bucks by Paypal.
All you have to do is go to my website:
http://www.dfwdmc.com and go to "STORE" and then "DVD"
and scroll to the bottom and you will find a shopping cart
button there for this video.
Shipping is free for everyone in the mainland 48.
Everyone else will need to make special arrangements with me.

Thanks for the shameless plug!

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:44:46 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Hagerty is pretty flexible in enforcing the terms of their policy.
Although they do limit the mileage to 2,500 miles per year if you do
4,000 in one year, and 500 the next, as long as you average out and it
doesn't appear that you are using it more than 2,500 per year in the
year you might have to make a claim you will be OK. They also don't
require you to stand by the car during a car show and it is alright to
park it outside on occasion, like when attending club events overnight
at a hotel. If you do rent it out for commercial work they can sell
you a one time endorsment for it too like a photo shoot. They have
raised the amount they will insure it for "Agreed Value" without an
appraisel to $25,000. Previously it was $20,000. Some insurance
companies have stricter rules, you have to shop around. For instance
Hagerty insists that to drive the car you have to be at least 26 years
old. Not a problem for me, in fact it keeps my kids from driving it!
Hagerty seems to be customer oriented and has a good customer service
dept. I have no experience with their claims dept yet! They do not ask
the mileage every year.

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:45:15 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

Another word about State Farm. Included with my premium
statement was one of those small-print pieces of paper  that no one
ever reads that states:

"LOSS does not include any reducton in the value of any vehicle
<snip> after it has been repaired, as compared to its value before it
was damaged."

That sounds like just another thing to be wary of when insuring an
exotic or collectible as compared to a more commonplace vehicle.

.............................LP
10440

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:32:37 EDT
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

Haha, welcome aboard.  I just became a DeLorean owner about... two and  a
half months ago?

But I digress.

The fuse box is located behind the passenger's seat.  Lift the lever  on the
side of the passenger's seat, and push it forward.  Remove the cargo  net (if
you have one), and lift up the carpet that's on the parcel shelf  there.
You'll see a wooden access panel.  Reach towards the back of  the car, and grab
the small opening of that wooden panel.  Pull it up &  towards you, and it
should lift right out (though mine needed to be muscled out,  haha).  Remove it,
and set it aside.  The fuse box will be about 2  1/2" wide by about 6" long, and
it will also be black; located towards the front  a bit.  Pop open the black
cover, and voila!  Fuses.

As for the miles, I wouldn't worry about it much.  PRV6's (the  DeLorean's
motor) will last forever--almost literally--if you take good care of  it from
here on out.

Regards,
William F.

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:59:16 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: NADA guide.

The NADA guide is what it says it is, a GUIDE. It is used by
appraisers to get an idea of the value of a car. It is one source. Any
good appraiser will use several sources. One of the better "guides" or
sources is the books published by the auctioneers of their recent
sales. NADA is not as useful for older, collector cars as the auction
lists. If you insure your car with "Agreed Value" then you don't have
to worry about the NADA guide. If and when you decide to sell your car
the marketplace will set the value for you. Besides, it is in DMCH's
best interests to make the value as high as it can and that can only
help all of us. Remember, at this point in time it is all about
condition. If a perfect car is worth $30,000 than anything less than
perfect is worth some amount less. A perfect unrestored (or refurbshed
take your pick) car is always going to be worth more than a restored
car. The shop (or person restoring the car) does affect the value. I
would hope a car restored by one of the major vendors will be worth
more than one done in someone's garage. They can also afford to offer
some kind of warranty, support, and service. They also have more of a
legal responsability as far as representations, title, mileage, etc.

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:52:01 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

The fuse box is located under a wooden panel under the carpeting in
floor of the storage area behind the passenger seat.  You will find a
number of relays there as well. (A lower panel conceals the battery
on that side.)

You can probably get a shop manual from a variety of sources.  The
cover on the one that came with my car says it came from Delorean One.

Drop me an email if you need the location of other things and I'll
try to help.

For most trouble-shooting, this list is still probably your best bet
because I've only had my car a month.  Not that I haven't had to pull
out the manual and use it a bunch already... :)

Marv
#10820