From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2655
Date: Friday, June 03, 2005 12:55 PM

1. Re: New owner needs help
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: Long term storage
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. RE: "725mi" Ebay car in OH
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

4. Jacking Points
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Does anybody know this guy?
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Book: How to Build Horsepower
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Frame-up restorations/refurbished cars (was: Value of a "restored" DeLorean)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

8. Re: "725mi" Ebay car in OH
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Long term storage
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. RE: Insurance mis-statement?
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

11. Re: Radiator air flow and license plate
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Insurance?
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. Re: Radiator air flow and license plate
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. RE: Source of NADA values (was: Value of a "restored" DeLorean)
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

15. RE: Insurance mis-statement?
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

16. Re: "725mi" Ebay car in OH
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re.. New owner needs help..
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

18. Value of VIN 16118, ebay 928 mile? car NEED ADVICE
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: New owner needs help
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

20. New side mirrors w/wide angle
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

21. NADA guide.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Value of VIN 16118, ebay 928 mile? car NEED ADVICE
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

23. Re: NADA guide.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: Re: Value of VIN 16118, ebay 928 mile? car NEED ADVICE
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

25. Jacking Points
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:04:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: New owner needs help

The fuseblock is behind the passenger seat under the carpet. Find the
local club of Delorean owners. Get the manuals from a Delorean vender.
Change ALL of the fluids and filters. If the owner misrepresented the
mileage it is possible to reverse the sale in most states. Go over to
dmcnews.com and go to technical for a lot of info and register on the DoD.

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:12:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Long term storage

You do not want to store it outside long term. It should be stored
inside. It does not have to be heated, just out of the elements away
from moisture, not on dirt, and small animals kept out. The battery
should be removed and the weight taken off the tires and suspension.
The leather should be treated and the car covered and protected from
anything that could fall on it. Replace the brake fluid, clutch fluid,
and anti-freeze. You should also make sure it is properly insured
during storage. Remove the gasoline.
An alternative would be to let someone else use the car if you can
trust them. Maybe make a deal to sell it to them with the condition
that they MUST sell it back to you at a fixed price if you decide you
want it back. Cars do not store well. They like to be used.

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:54:45 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: "725mi" Ebay car in OH

Thanks, Shannon, for taking the trouble.  I'd say there are a few more
than 725 miles on that car.  Did the owner say anything about having the
rusted framework fixed before the sale?   He implied that in an email to
me.
KP

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:45:11 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Jacking Points

Gang,

I've looked through the manual for places to place the jack stands
under the D but did not find an answer.  Is it in the repair manual?
Is it different for every D?

I am asking because I placed the jack stand a few inches off on my
Toyota Camry and damaged it.  So I'm being more careful this time.

Thank.

Steve
VIN#04421

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:50:14 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Does anybody know this guy?

I've been trying to get a hold of "Jason V" who has a delorean posted on
dmcnews.  He posted the delorean on 5/2/05.  If you know him could you have
him email me.
Mahalo,
Alex Morgan
"mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com"

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 05:23:50 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Book: How to Build Horsepower

Hi.
Back with another question.

Has anyone read the book "How to Build Horsepower" by David Vizard?
Since I am not exactly an automotive engineer, I don't know how much
of the theory will apply to the D.

What's your take on the book?  Is it applicable to the D since most of
what the book talks about is Chevy small block?

Steve
VIN#04421

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:39:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Frame-up restorations/refurbished cars (was: Value of a "restored" DeLorean)

James,
Those photos you posted were interesting.Was that
Prototype 1 I saw in the background of one of the
photos, minus it's front bumper?

Andrew
2883
Sydney

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:27:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I am absolutely amazed the price has risen to what it
is at now considering the (IMHO) "extremely
questionable" status I believe the car is in.  This
looks like a 5k car tops....TOPS!

Also, looks like the intake snorkel has melted in the
engine bay, there are no rear brake pads even though
in the auction he states that the calipers have been
addressed.

Has anybody run a car-fax on it?

Jon

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 02:06:59 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

You can send it to me
www.Cincinnaticarstorage.com

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 01:58:01 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: Insurance mis-statement?

Whether you disagree or not, as I said:  "I specifically discussed this
issue with their agent, making clear that from time to time I just
wanted to
be able to drive the car and not be limited as to the destination."
This is exactly what the agent from Hagerty told me, as confirmed by at
least one other person on this list who called them.  Also, Hagerty's
website clearly states that you can use the car for leisure drives and
not just to parades or car events. I have another vehicle for work, as
they require, and I do not drive over 7,000 miles annually, but if I
want to take a nice drive into the Ozarks next week I am indeed covered.
It may not be my daily driver, but at least I can use it as a car and
not a museum piece.

My point was that they do not limit you to car shows only, as some other
collector insurance does.  There also is no deductible, an agreed upon
value, and they accept drivers as young as 18 (nowhere near a problem
for me.)  Anyone considering purchasing insurance ought to certainly ask
all questions before buying a policy. My comment was primarily a
statement of information should others find themselves in a similar
situation where their conventional insurer will no longer accept our
supposedly troublesome cars.  My conventional insurer (State Farm) would
only offer liability (despite a 20 year exemplary history with them),
Allstate wanted $2,400 a year (no joke!), and the other collector
policies I found were far too restrictive.

KP

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 03:40:36 EDT
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Radiator air flow and license plate

Paul:

I have the license plate mounted lower and in an angle then the suggested
manufacture's position.   It has been on my DeLorean for the last nine years of
my ownership in this manner.   It does not over heat prematurely nor does it
taxes the fans at all.   I have driven my DeLorean even in the hottest and humid
days of NYC summer and in creepy traffic with no problems at all.

Even with the license plate mounted in this unconventional way, there is
plenty of space between the license plate and the opening for the condenser and
the radiator to breath normally while standing still.   When in motion, there is
no problem at all for airflow.

The reason I had the license plate mounted it in this lower position as not
having the license plate sitting or rubbing against the bumper or the license
plate to pushed into the bumper during parking.

If you try this method and find that you are experiencing problems in
overheating prematurely, then mount it to the manufacturer's suggested directions.

BTW.... What I have encounter to be a problem is snow and slush accumulating
in the front of the opening of the screen while traveling in the snow.   The
snow and slush will block up the opening and creating an overheating condition,
so I then have to get out to remove the accumulated snow and slush!

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D   NY

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:59:31 +0100
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Insurance?

How does this cover cases where other people have driven the car under
their own insurance? even with a declaration form, it still doesnt
seem that there can ever be any solid "proof" that you havent gone
over the limit.

Best regards

Mike

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 00:47:44 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

This is a funny discussion.

I have a front license plate holder -- when I first bought my car last
year I got pulled over for not having a front plate, so someone on the
DMCForum Yahoo group (I'm sorry, I forgot who you were!) was kind
enough to send me one for free that wasn't being used anymore.

I really had no idea how to mount it - it went into the existing bolt
holes so no drilling, but other than that who knows which direction
it's supposed to go? - so I put it in how it looked best: Hanging down
right over the front of my radiator. When I went to my first club tech
session a couple of months ago I received a bit of teasing over it,
too, since it's apparently completely upside down. But I think it
looks good and it's staying. It's not too low, I mounted the bottom of
the plate to the bracket lip so the top of the plate just touches the
bottom of my bumper.

I've driven my car daily for almost a year now with this plate
supposedly "blocking" the radiator. I've never overheated. I've sat in
traffic in 105 degree weather with the A/C on full blast regularly and
have never had a single problem. I would suggest that if such a thing
really causes your car to overheat, you have a very fragile cooling
system that probably needs some work.

Oh, and I'm now running John Hervey's pancake fans. I've been in stop
& go traffic up to 90 degrees with these fans, the A/C on max and the
license plate bracket where it sits. No problems whatsoever. And yes,
my temperature gauge works fine.

-Ryan

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 07:36:12 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Source of NADA values (was: Value of a "restored" DeLorean)

We have recently been invited to, and have, joined the NADA advisory board
and look forward to offering our input on DeLorean values.  I don't expect
our contribution to change the current values to a significant degree.
However I am gearing up my workforce to be able to provide more restored
cars for sale as I have seen a definite renewed interest in the car. It is
unfortunate that so often someone has to die before their life's work earns
them some respect. As to the quality of one venders work verse another IMHO
our shop can turn out a restored DeLorean that will "knock your socks off".
Ask around... we may be a little backlogged but I always stand by our work.
James since we both are on the NADA board now does that mean you'll have to
memorize my first name(AKA Ron):). "I tell you I don't get any respect"!
BTW sorry Debby and I can't make it to the show in Houston as I'm sure it'll
be a good event. Have fun everyone.

Rob
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:19:33 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

We actually agree. You are limited to diving your car for pleasure drives
and can NEVER drive it to work , school, or for errands; you must have
another car for those purposes. No matter how you choose to couch the words.
It is great insurance and better coverage than you can get from almost any
"regular" insurance company at much more reasonable rates. But everyone
should know that the reason for the lower rates is that there are
limitations. They are great supposters of the collector car marketplace, but
they are also a buisness and we must all realize and support the reason that
they offer these lower rates is because they are reducing the risk they
take.

I want to make sure that my car and any liability I may have in an accident
is covered and I do not get caught in a grey area and potentially no
coverage. It is not worth it to me!

Cecil Longwisch
#10663

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 05:26:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Wow - that car is the classic example of why one
should always remember "LET THE BUYER BEWARE".

Fascinating pictures - showing just what a prospective
D buyer should know, but many probably do not.

Not that I was considering that car, but you've done a
service to the group.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 07:02:37 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

Hi all,

Big thanks to all who helped me find the fuse box.  I am very impressed with the number of people who didn't hesitate with helping the new guy.  What a relief.
I will check out the link you provided David T..  I got the interior lights, horn, hazard lights, radio and door chime working already, coooool.....  Now it's back to running new wires for the fuel pump (still don't know if it works)....

Lingo,   VIN# 2034

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:45:18 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Value of VIN 16118, ebay 928 mile? car NEED ADVICE

Hello Gentleman:

Here in Pittsburgh to purchase VIN 16118.

Had to deal with three sales people so far, and I am pretty close to a
purchase price.

The car is a low mile 1983, with 928 miles on the odometer. There are a few
questions I have;

1) The undercarriage is undercoated with tar. Some DeLoreans were prepared
at the docks in Belfast and the QAC's to hide the rust from the sea air. Is
this  a problem especially with the sensitivity of the DMC chassis?

2) the center arm rest area/window switch area has been modified to include
a toggle switch & warning light, I suspect for the cooling fans. This part  is
no longer available?

3) frame tow hooks are badly bent  from towing the car.

4) the cooling system hoses have a plastic tie wraps holding the hoses
together.

5) there is a small chuck missing from the lower passenger seat cover. It  is
noticeable

6) center steering pad has a DMC pin glued onto it.

7) the shifter plate for automatic has a thermostat hot glued to it where
the 1981 clocks are located.

8) The original coil cover for 1983's has been replaced with a 1981  version.

My offer of $26,000 was considered as the dealer counter offered to  $28,000.
He wants more than $32,000 for the car. It does have a  cover, extra oil, air
& fuel filters, workshop manual, window stickers  etc.

What is your advice?

Sincerely Yours,
Michael Pack

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:50:04 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Well, the fuse box is in the relay compartment behind the passenger's
seat.  Throw the carpet on the package ledge back, remove the triangular
plywood panel, and the fuse block is right there.  If there's a cover on
it, it will list the fuse number over the position.

It looks like you have a new, potentially ruinous, hobby.  If you have
to do most of the work yourself, a manual set is a must.  We have them
for $124.95.

You can call on the toll-free line, 800 872 3621, between 8AM and 5PM on
weekdays.  You're going to need a lot of help.  Call.

Warren at DMC

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:14:18 -0000
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: New side mirrors w/wide angle

Just a quick note to say that I have received the new side mirrors from
Tom N. in Poland. They are excellent! And at nice price too!

They have the wide angle option on the side, effectively eliminating
the "blind spot" if you know what I mean.

Get a set! These are quality products. There's even a wiring +
connectors included if you fancy heated side mirrors.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 06:21:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: NADA guide.

You missed the point...  Only "DeLorean Motor Company"
was listed.  Had it said "... A car refurbished by one
of the major well know DeLorean vendors...", we would
not even be discussing this!

--- David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:
<SNIP>
> car. The shop (or person restoring the car) does
> affect the value. I
> would hope a car restored by one of the major
> vendors will be worth
> more than one done in someone's garage. They can
> also afford to offer
> some kind of warranty, support, and service. They
> also have more of a
> legal responsability as far as representations,
> title, mileage, etc.

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:41:29 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Value of VIN 16118, ebay 928 mile? car NEED ADVICE

My opinions FWIW

There's a lot of discussion on the concours list about the
undercoating - but that's another story. IMO I don't like it because
it can actually mask frame degradation, makes working under the car
very unpleasant, and looks ugly. But that's just my opinion. I have
not seen that it impacts the value of the car in general, but it
certainly would to me. Use it as a bargaining point if nothing else.

The console part, if actually NLA NOS, is certainly available from
one of the used-parts traders. The center steering wheel pad is
probably fine as long as they didn't punch a hole in it for the
emblem. Same for the console panel.

It's hard to set a price not having seen the car and not knowing your
intended use/personal value. Do you value function over originality?
I know you are a much better-than-average DIY mechanic so the
mechanical stuff shouldn't scare you, in your case I'd be most
worried about non-reversible modifications. The 26/28 figure seems
like a reasonable price for a pristine, properly stored, un-restored
car IF it is completly functional. If this is one of those "original"
cars that still has the original coolant, brake fluid, mouse nests,
and gasoline from 1984 in it, then it's not a fair price.

Recovering the seats seems to run in the $800 range now,
unfortunately you'd probably need to recover them both to get a good
match.

The zip-ties on the cooling hoses may be original, you didn't say
where they are but some of those are genuine DMC parts.

Dave Swingle

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:47:08 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: NADA guide.

I can't blame James for trying to push DMCH. If NADA was fool enough
to advertise for them then it is just James's good fortune. It does
highlight the shortcomings of trusting NADA or any one source. I would
not have believed there was as much bias as there appears to be in
NADA. Not that it really matters much as far as Deloreans are
concerned. Who this does matter to is the person that has ordinary
insurance and has a serious enough accident to have an insurance
adjuster look up the value in NADA. It can be overcome by showing the
adjuster what Deloreans are being sold for at auctions and on EBay. As
to whether DMCH is better at restoring a Delorean than one of the
other venders, now you are getting into opinion, not fact. When a
vendor does the restoration you are also buying into their reputation,
service, and support. The after sale warranty is also part of the
sale. This IS something that can be measured and compared.

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:58:42 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

The stainless looks showroom, as does the fascias & trim. The interior  is
very clean with the exception of the steering wheel pad, console, togle  switch
and cassette holder under the binnacle.

I would keep the car as a concours competitor along with my current  driver.

I have the extra parts, and after checking NOS seat covers and the  console
cover.

I don't care for the tar undercoating either.

The car has the original fluids with the exception of the oil &  filter.

Sincerely,
Mike

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:27:51 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

I'm in the process of doing some under-the-car work (Clutch line, accumulator, fuel filter, etc) and am getting a little tired of decompressing my lungs to fit under the car while on the ground.  I am also a little weary of jacking it up using a standard hydraulic floor jack and stands because of all the talk about cracked windshields due to improper jacking.  What is the best way to lift the car with basic tools (2.25 ton hydraulic jack).  Should I try to lift the entire end of the car as opposed to just on wheel to keep the body straight?

Thanks,
Todd Nelson