From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2657
Date: Friday, June 03, 2005 2:44 PM

1. Re: cracked windshield
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

2. Re: cracked windshield
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

3. RE: "725mi" Ebay car in OH
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Jacking Points
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: Re: cracked windshield
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:30:57 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: cracked windshield

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcfixer2003" <randybell_at_dml_w...> wrote:
> I need to replace the windshield for the 3rd time. The last time it was
> changed, in 1984, the glass company told me that the front windshield
> in my Delorean was the rear window of a Ford Pinto. They changed it out
> the same day. Has anyone heard this before?

No, I've never heard that one, but the Lotus Esprit does use the same
windshield as ours.

Richard Rowe

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:39:53 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Front glass on all US cars has to be laminated.  The standard used to be
called AS-1.  That's whats on the stock Delorean windshields.  All other
auto glass is tempered.  The standard used to be AS-2.  I doubt that
your glass people put in one for another, it would violate federal law.
  I can't imagine why they would say what they did.
Warren at DMC

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:29:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: "725mi" Ebay car in OH

Responding to two posts in one (KP & Jon).

KP:
>>Thanks, Shannon, for taking the trouble.  I'd say there are a few more
>>than 725 miles on that car.  Did the owner say anything about having the
>>rusted framework fixed before the sale?   He implied that in an email to me.
>>KP

KP,
No problem.
In one conversation the owner said it would be taken care of prior to the sale.
In a later conversation he briefly said it was taken car of ( I took this as it
had all ready been fixed ). Actually looking at the the car it didn't seem like
much was done other than removing loose/cracked epoxy. The mechanic never told me
he fixed the rust but we did talk about different ways on how to fix the rust.

---
John:
>>I am absolutely amazed the price has risen to what it
>>is at now considering the (IMHO) "extremely
>>questionable" status I believe the car is in.  This
>>looks like a 5k car tops....TOPS!

>>Also, looks like the intake snorkel has melted in the
>>engine bay, there are no rear brake pads even though
>>in the auction he states that the calipers have been
>>addressed.
>>Has anybody run a car-fax on it?
>>Jon

Jon,
See a prior post of mine regarding the brakes. The owner has told me that his
mechanic is getting it ready so the buyer can drive it home.

Yes the Heat Stove has melted together in the middle.

Shannon Y

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:45:08 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Jacking Points

I, personally do not like ramps. Some of them are made very cheaply.
They don't lift the car enough and they don't take the weight off the
wheels so you can't remove them. The car is also unstable
side-to-side. They MUST be used on a concrete floor and it HAS to be
perfectly level. It is possible to drive right up and over them too. A
good floor jack is not that expensive along with 4 jackstands. I use a
floor jack with a short piece of 2X4 on the pad and I lift in the
center of the front crossmember or the rear crossmember. I place the
jackstands with a rag on them to protect the epoxy under the front tow
hooks and in the rear under the rear carriers. In the rear you have to
be careful when you let the weight down the rear wheels will spread so
you have to reposition the jackstands to keep them flat on the floor.
I get the car way up in the air so I can move easily under it with a
creeper. I call it "Hover Mode". I have seen what can happen when you
cheap out on thse kinds of things. No one wants to hear about someone
who got hurt at his hobby. Also NEVER use cinder blocks or wire
baskets to hold things up. I personally have seen them give way
without warning. If you can't afford jackstands, large pieces of 4X4
can be subsituted but it becomes unstable if you go too high. Four
jackstands can be bought for $50 at most places and a decent floor
jack can be bought for $150. If you are going to work on your own car
for the enjoyment (and to save money) some of the money you save has
to go for some basic tools. A creeper can be bought for $25 and a
trouble light for $12. We are not talking a huge investment here, just
buy quality stuff, it can be used on ANY car. Cheap stuff will not
last and will let you down when you really need it.

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 20:33:29 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: cracked windshield

It's about 1" shorter, but otherwise identical to the Lotus Esprit

Martin