From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2659
Date: Sunday, June 05, 2005 3:28 PM

1. Performance Exhaust
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Free Delorean Parts!
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Re: Performance Exhaust
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

4. Re: Performance Exhaust
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

5. RE: Re: undercoating
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

6. 81 Delorean For Sale, 31k miles, Automatic, Just Smogged
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Soon to be a Delorean owner
From: "ccjarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Air Conditioner Cycles
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Re: undercoating
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. New Front Fascia - (Joe OBrien)
From: Daniel Plakosh <dplakosh2_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. 83 eBay DeLorean
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

12. Painted Red
From: "lingolor" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

13. Re: RE: "725mi" Ebay car in OH
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

14. Re: Air Conditioner Cycles
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: Performance Exhaust
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Painted Red
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. RE: Soon to be a Delorean owner
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Cruise Control
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

19. Re: undercoating
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

20. #5381 history
From: James Pilcher <jamespilcher1_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

21. Re: Cruise control Audiovox CCS-100
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

22. Cruise Control
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

23. John Z. DeLorean's home in Bloomfield Hills, MI
From: "car816" <detroit.michigan_at_dml_gmail.com>

24. Re: New Front Fascia - (Joe OBrien)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:16:34 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Performance Exhaust

Gang,

In the archive, someone mentioned PJ Grady had setup a "green machine"
with performance suspension and exhaust.  I saw the performance
suspension on PJ's website, but is the performance exhaust available?
 Is it a special item that you have to call and order in advance?

Off the topic.
>From my readings, a real performance exhaust would be no exhaust
headers or pipes at all.  Just discharge the exhaust gas straight out
of the engine.  But... that wouldn't be street legal at some places,
not to mention loud as hell.  Therefore the catalyst converter,
muffler setup.

Avoid back pressure like plague, because back pressure essentially
keeps some exhaust gas mixture in the cylinders, preventing  fresh
fuel-air mixture from filling up the cylinders.  Unless, you can do
some fancy valve timing work and piping the exhaust gas around like
Honda cars.

Steve
VIN#04421

Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:50:31 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Free Delorean Parts!

Well, not exactly free but You Pay Shipping + $10 for my trouble to box
it up and cart it over to fedex:

1 - set 4 complete OEM suspension - springs and shocks
1 - set 4 OEM shocks. (hard as rocks)
4 - OEM pressure plates (very used)
1 - OEM radiator (doesn't leak yet)
4 - Brake Master Cylinders (some work, some don't, all used)
2 - Motorola Alternators (guaranteed bad)
All parts are used in non-guaranteed condition. I'm tired of storing
it.

Act fast - this stuff hits the trash next week.

Dave   mail to swingle(AT)dmcnews.com

Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 18:04:54 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Performance Exhaust

Because of valve overlap, there is a brief period of time in which the
exhaust side is either at static pressure or even in a vacuum
(converse is true on the intake side BTW). Of course RPM's affect
this. The big theory of "scavaging" is that the momentum of outgoing
gasses will compensate for this. Libraries could be filled with the
debates that have raged over backpessure and scavaging.

In the DeLorean world, no matter your position on the above, it must
be admitted that the stock exhaust set-up is very restrictive and
counter-productive to efficient flow.

I modified mine not for performance, but for access. The stock set-up
is an impediment to maintenance. Easy to install on the factory floor,
but an obstruction in the driveway.

Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:58:20 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

If you have a question for Grady - just call his 800 number (although
he's out of town at the moment). I don't believe he's currently
marketing an exhaust system though.

As for running an engine with no exhaust at all, I'm not sure where
to start. This is just incorrect. Well-designed headers actually
provide a scavenging effect increasing airflow thru the engine, and
running an engine with no exhaust plumbing will destroy the exhaust
valves in short order.

You are probably ready the wrong sources (internet mailing lists?)
get some engineering textbooks on engine design if you'd really like
to understand it.

There are a couple of aftermarket exhausts available, I'm sure others
will pipe up on these (sorry).

Dave Swingle

Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 14:05:43 -0400
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Re: undercoating

You have seen at least one, if not both, of my cars.  The one you called
ugly was the one you listed for sale on DMC News.  I wasn't offended, just
very surprised you would say that since you have restored a few yourself.
That car was in far better condition than the one I am still restoring.

Greg

Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 11:24:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: JDub <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: 81 Delorean For Sale, 31k miles, Automatic, Just Smogged

It's #3215, an 81 automatic with 31k miles. The body
is in excellent condition and the engine runs perfect.
I've had the car for two years now and she's always
treated me well.  The car is located in Millbrae, CA.
I'm asking $17,999 or best offer.
Here are pics of the car:

http://tinyurl.com/c3rp5

Lemme know if that link doesn't work sometimes I have
trouble with it.

As you can see from the pictures the car is in
excellent condition. There are a couple of flaws on
the interior:

1) Small tear on top of center console
2) Side window rear pillar could use recovering

I have displayed these items in the photos.

Parts I've replaced:

Otter-stat
Plugs, wires, cap
Rebuilt front calipers
New master cylinder
Steering column bushing
New alternator
New Fuel distributor O-ring seal
Engine cover stay assy
Complete strut lift kit for entire car

You also get a box of spare parts, workshop manual,
dash mat, seat covers, and cleaning kit for the
exterior of the car.

Jon
(650)773-4935

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 00:02:03 -0000
From: "ccjarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Soon to be a Delorean owner

Hello Everyone!
Long-time lurker, first-time posting.   I'm 34 years old and have
wanted to "live the dream" for nearly 20 years.   Now, I'm finally
getting the chance to do so and I get butterflies in my stomach
everytime I think about having my own Delorean.   I feel like I'm 15
again a just a month or so before getting my license!
Well, I just wanted say "Hello" to everyone on the list and look
forward those who will attend the DMCH open house next week.  I'll be
the one hugging 1510 when I see it for the first time.

Regards,
Christian Jarzab
Phoenix, AZ

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 00:14:55 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Air Conditioner Cycles

I found the receipts given to me by the previous owner, and in July
2004 he had the Delorean Motor Center: 1. Recharge and test for leaks
2. add 2lb of r-12, 3. oil 4. two bearings. What else could cause the
excessive cycling if it is not low on freon? Thanks

Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 22:02:27 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

This is a great topic
Ugly undercoating

YES even I agree with Dave that the cars that have no undercoating are more
shall we say awe inspiring and it was for that reason I brought a non
undercoated car to the last concours.

BUT
and this is a big BUT

IT takes a lot more to keep an undercoated car looking nice than it does a
non undercoated one.

I spent much much more time cleaning Gigawat vs any other non undercoated
car.

In my case however the undercoating is preserving the zinc plating much
better than a non undercoated car.  So for that reason it has its  advantages.

As far as daily drivers I see very little difference in rust of undercoated
vs non undercoated cars.

I think they tried something that did not work
The 83 that I am driving now (not Gigawat and maybe the raffle car) had
undercoating and it had rust.

Its repaired now and the whole frame redone with POR 15 tinted to match the
epoxy and it looks awesome so I am happy with that and the car will not be
re-undercoated.

I undercoated the last raffle car and now wish I had not although  it came
out real clean the shocks and springs looked a lot nicer shiny than  the dull
undercoat color.

But that can be removed.

Anyway this "attitude" towards undercoated cars I have been championing the
cause for quite a few years now and I am glad to see I am now not alone.

All said

The DeLorean is unique and these weird versions make the car  interesting
despite the fact that to the average viewer they are all  the same

I had 11 at one time and I could tell them all apart just by looking at  them
All the same but all different.

See you in Houston
Maybe  Undercoating will truimph this time LOL

Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 19:40:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Daniel Plakosh <dplakosh2_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: New Front Fascia - (Joe OBrien)

Joe,

Chris Bowman was over today and we had some extra time so we thought we'd get a head start on your car.  However, I think they sent you the wrong fascia, we got it on but a lot of the bolts didn't quite match and Judy thinks the color is a bit off.  Take a look and let me know what you think.

Dan

http://tinyurl.com/dm8xd

http://www.geocities.com/dplakosh2/index.html

Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 22:54:11 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: 83 eBay DeLorean

Anyone interested in the 83 DeLorean that a dealer has on eBay with 1852 miles I live in Jacksonville and did look at the car today. Please feel free to contact me off list if you would like any information or would like me to look at something specific for them on the car.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4554158751&category=31830<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4554158751&category=31830>

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 02:57:23 -0000
From: "lingolor" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Painted Red

I searched for any posts related to this but came up empty.  So, does
anyone have advice for stripping a red paint job off of a DeLorean? I
bought the car last week and it came with an acrylic (SP?) red paint. I
want my VIN# 02034 back to its original self.

Lingo # 2034

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 03:30:50 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: RE: "725mi" Ebay car in OH

 Hey if you have any questions on milage check the counter for % of life used, for 725
miles it would be 1%.
Lawrence vin/0538m,00915m,04783a

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 05:35:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If (and it's a big IF) you actually have the correct amount of Freon
then you may need to adjust the low pressure switch. It is much more
likely that you have a leak and now you do not have enough Freon. In
this case you will not be able to properly adjust the switch correctly.

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 05:23:24 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

 I had once asked Rob about this,I know he has a custom exhaust on his
green car. Ultimately he praised the UK exhaust and from what I
understand happened to like it very much. Im still  waiting for DMCH
to rerelease theirs before I make a descision. I'd like to put an
exhaust on my car but Im a little torn, I think the stock exhaust
although restrictive sounds great.
Harry Vin #2696

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 05:44:31 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Painted Red

There are 4 ways to remove paint. You can sand it off, you can blast
it off with different kinds of media and you can chemicaly dissolve
it. It can also be burnt off but it is not very practical. The method
most often used is paint remover. Just be warned that you may find
plastic filler under the paint to repair a damaged panel and you must
be very careful not to get the paint remover on the facias or plastic
or trim. The "best" way is to remove each panel one at a time and use
the paint remover. Don't remove the doors, use plastic to protect
everything. It can be done with sandpaper but it will be a long, slow,
tedious process. After you remove the paint you will probably have to
regrain the whole car.

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 00:43:49 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Soon to be a Delorean owner

Future "welcome" to the group, you have some of the best DeLorean owners I
have
ever met out there to support you in AZ, some of the coolest guys in the
community
are out there in the AZ club, all great guys with lots of knowledge and they
will be
there to support you.
I guess I will see you when you visit the DMCH-OH show, I will be there too!
- Videobob

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 12:30:32 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Cruise Control

I installed the Audiovox Cruise Control in 6530 yesterday using the
pedal pull mehtod.  The cable is mounted through the metal assembly
that the steering column goes through. The actuator is in the bonnet
and is held in place by one of the bolts for the bonnet latch
mechanism.  (I originally had the actuator inside the passenger
compartment near the drivers side speaker but read more in the manual
that they say it makes a lot of noise and they "highly suggest not
even attaching it to the firewall".  I did use the vacuum from the
power brake booster, which they advise against but there was already
a T in that line , for I beleive, a previous turbo boost gauge, which
is no longer in the car.

I am trying to post photos but am getting Yahoo errors at this time.
If anyone wants more info please don't hesitate to ask.

If anyone sees anything inherently dangerous in my installation
please don't hesitate to tell!

Dē & 6530
(Now with cruise control, door launchers, and a 1Ghz PC driving
computer)

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 13:29:21 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: undercoating

CLEANING the undercoating? You obviously have more spare time than I.

I own 5 Lincoln Mark V's. 4 of them came from the Northeast. 2 of them
were undercoated with that black mess people use up there. Both of the
undercoated cars suffered more road salt damage than the cars that
were left without it:
- Rusted through brake lines
- Fender and quarter panel damage
- Totally unremovable bolts

My feeling is undercoating causes more problems than it solves. It's a
nice theory, but in reality it actually traps the road salt that
innevitably finds its way underneath, leaving it no way out except
through the metal.

Ordinarily, rust on major suspension components such as frames,
control & support arms, springs, etc isn't a concern. They are usually
made of very high carbon steel (or at least they used to be) and rust
doesn't penetrate any further than the surface. DMC of course decided
to make these components of low carbon steel (even the springs aren't
hitting on much -- I cut mine down with a Dremel tool) so rust IS a
concern. Impervious body sitting on a very susceptible frame &
suspension -- go figure.

BTW: If you think road salt is damaging, you should see the effects of
beach salt. I absolutely refuse to buy a car from the coast or Florida.

-->

Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 14:29:46 +0100 (BST)
From: James Pilcher <jamespilcher1_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: #5381 history

hi,

i just became the proud owner of vin #5381 (nov '81,
creased hood, no gas flap, manual, grey interior,
LHD). it has 30k on the clock, and was imported into
this country (the UK) in 1998 and has had one owner
since then (now two).

her frame is in very good condition, the windows are
original and intact. the interior is a bit tatty, the
electrics need the usual improvements, and there is a
mystery cooling problem, but i have a "crew" that look
forward to sorting it out.

i was just wondering if anyone knows the history of
this car before that? it had a california(i think)
plate BXF 88Y before it was re-registered in england.

thanks,
james

isle of wight
UK

Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 09:57:55 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Cruise control Audiovox CCS-100

Marc V. said...I also turned the spool by hand up to 4000RPM  with no
problems.

But I say, again,  that was with no load on the engine. (I  presume you were
not in the engine compartment while driving the car...)

It also depends on the bias or twisted state of the throttle cable as to
whether or not it has a tendency to swing up or down off the spool  when it  is
not being held tightly in the grooves of the throttle spool.

Dē & 6530

Message: 15
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 21:49:12 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

I also turned the spool by hand up to 4000RPM with no  problems.

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 14:00:37 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

Some pictures of my installation are now posted.

Comments and suggestions are ecouraged...

Dē & 6530

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 14:41:23 -0000
From: "car816" <detroit.michigan_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: John Z. DeLorean's home in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I live in Detroit and have always wondered where JZD lived while he
was here in Michigan. In fact, if anyone has the address(es) of his
original birthplace and residences, I'd be happy to do a photo tour
and post the results in a webpage so we can all see. Possibly photos
of all his homes--from California, NYC and Utah--can be photographed
and we can pull this together. I'd be happy to share the server space
and domain registration.

Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 07:11:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: New Front Fascia - (Joe OBrien)

Wow - that's a real collectors item.. You know what
that is, don't you?  It is the prototype for the
fascia to go with the new DeLorean interior.  Should
bring big bucks on ebay.

I'll bet Warren is really upset that slipped out.

Dcik Ryan