From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2665
Date: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 2:08 PM

1. Re: Cruise control - no joy! (Ported Vacuum)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

2. Re: Water Pump Controversy
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

3. Re: DeLorean Owners Association offer
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

4. RE: DeLorean Owners Association offer
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: Shade Tree Mechanic
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 04:06:40 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Cruise control - no joy! (Ported Vacuum)

That line is ported by the throttle plates. It's active whenever
they're open (which of course means you could use it to operate the
spark advance diaphragm in lieu of the cutoff solenoid).

If your cruise control doesn't have its own vacuum canister you indeed
want to tap into the HVAC canister, *AFTER* the check valve.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_g...> wrote:
> >> Ryan, you mentioned in earlier posts when you were trying to get
> >> your unit working that you had insufficient vacuum. What were you
> >> readings and how did you fix it? I am tied in at the location you
> >> suggested on your site.
>
> My vacuum problem was due to initially tying into the wrong vacuum
> line. I tapped into a line going to the charcoal canister by mistake,
> the cruise worked at first but then later did not. Turns out that line
> isn't under vacuum all of the time -- oops. So I found the "real"
> vacuum line, which is the big line going into the left pontoon (by
> itself). After changing that the cruise worked flawlessly.
>
> You can test for a vacuum problem with a hand held pump. I paid about
> $20 or so for mine at Schuck's. I hooked it up to the cruise, ran the
> line through the firewall into the passenger compartment, pumped the
> sucker up and went for a drive. The cruise worked fine like this, so I
> knew vacuum was my problem. If you suspect a vacuum problem this is a
> great test.
>
> Also double check your dip switches...
>
> -Ryan

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:42:06 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Water Pump Controversy

content22207 wrote:

>I've never understood the big water pump controversy. There really
>isn't much of anything to go wrong inside a water pump.

The impellers are different, Bill.

>For anyone contemplating a non-vendor purchase: be aware that PRV
>water pumps are made for two different backs, which I call "right
>handed" and "left handed"

This is true for the older PRV's but there are several other types, one
of which I have on a Safrane engine where the inlet actually goes
through the side of the intake manifold!

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 05:03:18 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Owners Association offer

I purchased a complete set of DeLorean World Mags when I got my car, over 8
years ago and they have been invaluable.  The pictorials, text and
photographs of ways of doing things are the best I have seen.   I have them
all "ear marked" as to different subjects...my subscription has been
continuous so I have them ALL.

However from the wording in the ads, I take it there is a pretty good chance
you would NOT get the complete set and who knows how many.  Depends on what
they have on hand.   It is like gas mileage quotes...."UP to 100 MPG" but it
could be 2MPG.  Ha.   I wonder if they could tell you ahead of time how many
and which issues you would get?

Murray
Vin:05962
Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 06:44:43 -0400
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

eBay!

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 00:51:51 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Shade Tree Mechanic

Jonh,
That's a generous offer, thank you.  My neighbor noticed the DMC in my
garage tonight and came over to investigate.  Turns out he runs a Volvo shop
in town and knows alot about the DMC.  He is bringing me some tools from his
shop to help me out.  Talk about luck.......

TY again.
Lingo #02034