From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2666
Date: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 8:38 PM

1. Upper door seals
From: "my88mph" <my88mph_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

2. Re: A/C Problems
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

3. Re: A/C Problems (necessarily long)
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. Newbe to this site.
From: "lotusing" <lotusing_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Re: Performance Suspension
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

6. Re: Air Conditioning
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Shade Tree Mechanic
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: Tom's Mirrors
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

9. Headliner How too??.......
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

10. Re: DeLorean Owners Association offer
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

11. Delorean mentioned on MadTV
From: "Tiffany" <bck2thefuture88_at_dml_netscape.net>

12. Re: DMC (Texas) Open House/Hotel Info/Internet Access
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

13. Delorean mentioned on MadTV
From: "Tiffany" <bck2thefuture88_at_dml_netscape.net>

14. Cruise control and LEDs (was NO JOY!)
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

15. Re: Water Pump Controversy
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

16. Re: A/C Problems (necessarily long)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. Re: A/C Problems
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

18. Extended convex mirrors update
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

19. Re: A/C Problems
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Upper door seals
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

21. Re: Found VIN 1402 in Annapolis Maryland
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

22. New parts up on ebay store...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

23. Re: A/C Problems (necessarily long)
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

24. Re: Cruise control and LEDs (was NO JOY!)
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

25. Re: Headliner How too??.......
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

26. RE: Re: DMC (Texas) Open House/Hotel Info/Internet Access
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:43:22 -0000
From: "my88mph" <my88mph_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Upper door seals

If anyone has changed the upper door seals, is there an easier way
than drilling the rivets out with a 1/8 drill bit?  Also what is the
easiest way to get the new seals into position on the door to install
the rivets or does the door need to come off.
                                                    Dennis

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:01:12 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: A/C Problems

Just my 2 cents but are you sure the fitting the pressure switch sits in is
clear and not plugged up?? Atmospheric pressure will allow the compressor to
run full time.

Dave Sontos
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:59:32 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: A/C Problems (necessarily long)

Jake-Check to see that no WARM air is getting into the evap box, either
thru' the recirc door over the fan or thru' the mixing box.  The temp
knob is in the blue, right?  Make sure the knob and actual switch
setting are the same and that the coolant flow to the heater core is cut
off by the valve.  I once tried to diagnose bad a/c performance with the
temp control set on warm.
Warren at DMC

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:35:47 -0000
From: "lotusing" <lotusing_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Newbe to this site.

Hello everyone. I am new dmc owner. I have aquired my 81 by way of
inheritance.My aunt is the only owner of this car and it has always
been in a climate controled garage.She kept all manuals and even has
the original delorean car cleaning kit. It has 7k miles on it and I
recently tried to look it over.I have found that the interior is in
great shape.No signs of wear on the black leather, just dusty. The
body looks good(dusty).I have tried to start it but did not. Fuel pump
was bad. I replaced and started right up and sounded good and the A/C
works.It needs rubber seals, door, front and rear shocks.
My question is that is there a parts cross-reference for deloreans and
what are there any issues that I should know?
The most amazing part of the car is that the under carriage still has
all the original paint,tires(no wear) and zero rust!

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:43:06 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Performance Suspension

Tom-There will be a lengthy article written by a Mysterious Expert in
the coming 'Deloreans' magazine on that installation. Help is on the way.
Warren at DMC

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:58:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Air Conditioning

I did not mention R-134 because I do not recomend converting. As long
as you can still get R-12 it is the best to use since the system was
DESIGNED for it's pressures. Any other refrigerent will not work as
well. If you can't (or won't) use R-12 there are drop-in replacements
that can proform almost as well as R-12 (and better than R-134).
 As for pulling vacuum, you cannot read low vacuum in inches. You have
to go to other, more sensitive scales. I use microns. You can actually
measure the amount of moisture with it. I say pull a hard vacuum for
an hour. If you have a micron gauge you run the vacuum till you see it
drop down and stay down for a while. That means all of the moisture
has vaporized. You should also turn the compressor by hand during the
evacuation process to lubricate the seal and expose all the chambers
inside to the vacuum. I have seen the consquences of running a system
with too much moisture. It will last a lot longer if you get the
moisture out. In fact with a hard vacuum you can pull the residual
moisture out of the dryer so it doesn't have to be changed if the
system is not contaminated. I do not expect to change your mind on
this but can only point out the "correct" way to work on A/C systems.
A good vacuum pump IS expensive, that is why I recomend owners go to a
good A/C shop with a reputation for quality work. It may be expensive
but if it is done right you won't be going back every year. On
Deloreans we are kind of "lucky" that it is a rather generic system
that just about any well equiped A/C shop can service. The only
special tools are to rebuild the compressor and most shops will just
change it if there is a problem anyway. Using the engine to "vacuum"
the system won't even get all the air out let alone remove much moisture.

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:37:54 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Shade Tree Mechanic

Many tools are "Case Hardened". This means they were put through a
hardening process that makes the surface of the tool very hard and
underneath is softer. By grinding the surface off to change it's size
you remove the case hardening. Better to buy the right tool in the
first place. Snap-On makes an adapter that fits, I don't have the P#
right now. You CAN use a piece of square stock bent into an "L" and
put a piece of pipe on the end to make it longer  if you have to. Some
plugs can be VERY stubborn but a long wrench and a hard, fast rap on
the wrench gets them loose. It is also bed practice to use a torque
wrench as a breaker bar. Good tools are an investment, budget for some
on every job if you need to but it is always better (and safer) to use
the correct tools.

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:41:11 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Tom's Mirrors

Jason

The pictures are on the Yahoo site in the photos section. Additionally if
you'd like larger version of those pics I can email them to you directly.
Let me know.
The folder they are in is called: Extended Convex mirrors

Take care

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:55:29 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Headliner How too??.......

Does any one know of a good web site with a 'How to' on recovering the
headliners, ive seen one in the past including fibreglassing /
straigtening the boards, with pictures etc, i can't for the life of me
find it now i actually need it :)

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:04:49 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean Owners Association offer

I think on their website it said 69 issues included with membership.   I'm
pretty sure I saw that the other night surfing the DOA website.   Is this all of
them, or are there more than that which were published?

-Patrick C.

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:10:18 -0000
From: "Tiffany" <bck2thefuture88_at_dml_netscape.net>
Subject: Delorean mentioned on MadTV

On an episode of MadTV, they did an 80s spoof of Love Connection and
one of the guys was a Delorean dealership owner in Hackettstown NJ.
Pretty funny since the Mid Atlantic Spring Social was in Hackettstown
this year.

-Tiffany Olejnik
Vin#3691

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:24:54 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: DMC (Texas) Open House/Hotel Info/Internet Access

Robert (and others),

The best place to pick up your registration packet is at the Sofitel
on Friday afternoon. That's where a good portion of the attendees are
staying. You're sure to run into some people you know there.

If it's not too late to change your hotel reservations, all DMC Open
House attendees staying at the Sofitel get free in-room high speed
internet access, plus wireless access in all the common areas of the
hotel.

I've just checked with the hotel and they'll honor the $79 per night
room rate for through Thursday for the DeLorean Group. Call
800/231-4612 and mention the DeLorean event to get this reduced rate.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
800/872-3621
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:25:25 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>
Subject: Cruise control and LEDs (was NO JOY!)

Well, I have cruise control at long last in my D. After going
through 2 Audiovox CCS-100s, I gave up and ordered an electric unit
from Dakota Digital. ($250 OUCH!)

Basically, the two systems are very much alike, the Dakota system is
USA made and seems a little better quality. And has a speedo encoder
instead of the magnets and pickup unit. But it did come with one
important item that the Audiovox didn't have - an ADDENDUM which
warns that it WILL NOT WORK WITH LED BRAKELIGHTS!!! Of course "I"
have led brakelights!!! Eureka!

The purple cruise control system wire that ties to the switched
brakelight signal must see GROUND in the off position to work
properly, LEDS don't allow enough current to flow to properly ground
the wire, since they are DIODES. Duh!  Using LED brakelights
requires inserting a relay to switch between +12V and GROUND for the
purple wire. This is really simple to do...(if you know you need to
do it in the first place). Simply wire the relay coil to ground and
the brakelight signal, hook the purple wire to the common,
unswitched +12V to the Normally open post, Ground also to the
normally closed post. Now when you press the brake, the relay will
go from ground to +12V on the purple wire of the cruise control.

This adventure has cost me a lot of cash, but I hope my lesson will
help all you folks who have LEDS and try to install cruise.

Cruising to Houston tomorrow...

Marty Galbreath

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:40:24 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Water Pump Controversy

Speaking as the owner of 3 different eBay water pumps of goodness only
knows whose manufacture:

The impellers are all identical. An impeller is nothing more than a
little metal water wheel anyway -- what's the big difference that has
people tied in knots? Are you sure you're not referring to the
impeller groove, which is a function of which side on the back the big
barb takes off, not the impeller itself?

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:45:17 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Take the low pressure switch off and press on the schrader valve with
your fingernail to ensure it opens OK (otherwise low pressure switch
indeed can't "see" the pressure).

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:49:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Yep, because it's brand new!  (I've replaced the bottle and switch with no change in operation)

I do appreciate the suggestion, though.  Someone will think of something I haven't....

Jake

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:44:03 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Extended convex mirrors update

Hello all

After a rather lengthy battle with my digital camera I finally have the
installation instructions ready for download. It is a PDF format file. The
size is 1.81MB.
If you have received a set of my mirrors or are thinking about getting a set
and would like to know what's involved in the installation please go to my
website and download the file.
The address is: www.deloreana.com
On the left side menu click on "NEW! Convex mirrors". You can then click on
the "Download" link to view the file or right-click and choose "Save Target
As..." to save the file to your computer.
If you have any questions regarding the mirrors or the installation process
you can email me directly. I'd be glad to help.

Greetings from Poland!

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:33:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I had a similar though, that the schrader valve in the
fitting for the switch may be broken.

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:33:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Upper door seals

I need to do this too, on my drivers door, let me know how it turns out

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:51:11 -0400
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Found VIN 1402 in Annapolis Maryland

If someone could provide me with the whole VIN, I'd be more than happy to attempt to trace the ownership and/or history of the vehicle. I have access to some databases far beyond anything CarFax could dream of.

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:03:13 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: New parts up on ebay store...

Hey Guys,

Just uploaded a bunch of new used parts to my ebay store.  Highlights are:

- Rear closing plate
- Door strut mounting hardware
- Springs
- Miscellaneous dashboard trim pieces, and recovered dashboards themselves.
- An idle speed regulator
- Jack compartment cover
- Black cargo shelf carpet
- Windshield trim

Theres more too, so check it out when you have the chance.
(http://tinyurl.com/6dhcw)

I'd rather put these parts in the hands of people who need them, than
insulate my basement...so make me an offer if you see something you like
or need! (off list please!  My e-mail is jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net)

Also...just got word from above.  The boss has ordered me to raise the
price of the LH front fenders I have on the store from $1750 to $2250.
I will be doing this next week...so if you want to get one while they're
still cheap...now is the time!

Sales presentation now concluded.  Thanks for your attention.

All my best,
Josh

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:35:30 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Jake
Your comment -
"But here's the peculiar thing: when I unplug the low pressure
switch, the compressor and fans shut off as they should. This tells
me that power to the compressor must be coming from the mode switch
(as it should), through the low pressure switch (as it should)
through circuit 10."

If this is a correct statement then I would say the low pressure
switch is bad.

Harold McElraft -3354

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:49:42 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cruise control and LEDs (was NO JOY!)

Wow, good info Marty. I will have to add this to my documentation so
others don't run into the same problem in the future.

Thank you!

-Ryan

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:07:51 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Headliner How too??.......

I believe the one you're referring to is owned by Ken Montgomery.  You
can trying google'ing for it or just ask him directly.  He's on the
list fairly often.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_b...>

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:18:14 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

I am actually at the hotel now and james is right.
I am "on the road" 3-4 days a week and this is a very nice place. Very good
value.
We get free high speed internet (a $9.95 value) and very nice rooms.

Did I mention a LOT of stewardesses staying here......I digress.

See some of you later this week.

Cecil Longwisch
#10663