From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2667
Date: Thursday, June 09, 2005 10:08 AM

1. Delorean Mid-Atlantic Summer Fun Run II!!!
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

2. LEDs in Dome Lights--Do I need that white relay?
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

3. Hello All
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

4. Re: Performance Suspension
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Another A/C post...
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

6. Engine Electrical Connections
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Performance Suspension
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

8. RE: Upper door seals
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. Re: LEDs in Dome Lights--Do I need that white relay?
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Re: Hello All
From: "dmcmike2002" <billsfanmd_at_dml_verizon.net>

11. RE: Newbe to this site.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. Re: Performance Suspension
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

13. RE: Water Pump Controversy
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. RE: Shade Tree Mechanic
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. Re: Performance Suspension
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

16. Re: Hello All
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

17. RE: Engine Electrical Connections
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Re: Performance Suspension
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

19. Re: LEDs in Dome Lights--Do I need that white relay?
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

20. Re: Hello All
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

21. Re: Performance Suspension
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

22. Re: LEDs in Dome Lights--Do I need that white relay?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

23. DeLorean in Family Guy
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

24. Special rules for me (Marc Levy).
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Front License Plate Holes Question
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:12:27 -0400
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Summer Fun Run II!!!

Hey everyone...get ready for the next Delorean Mid-Atlantic club event: The
Summer Fun Run II.

Hot on the heels of our fantastic Spring Social, the Summer Fun Run II will
be a great time for all who attend while being stress-free and a lot of fun.
The Summer Fun Run II includes an awesome caravan that takes you through
some beautiful areas of New York and then a traditional BBQ which allows
everyone to relax, get some sun and enjoy our cars.

Save the date!!

When: Saturday, July 16, 2005

Where: Meet at the Palisades Mall, W. Nyack, NY.

Details:  <outbind://19/www.deloreanmidatlantic.com>
www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

More details are to follow, but we hope you can all attend. Hope to see you
there!

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:57:29 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: LEDs in Dome Lights--Do I need that white relay?

I found out today that I can in fact make the interior dome lights shut off
when the door is shut if I remove the white relay back in the electrical
compartment.   I am almost positive that all this relay does is make the lights
delay 15 seconds after the door is shut, correct?   It works fine with my regular
bulbs in the dome lights, but with the LEDs installed the lights didn't shut
off when the relay was in place.

Just thought I would double check to see if this is dangerous, or is this a
perfectly fine thing to do?

-Patrick C.

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 00:23:14 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Hello All

Just an introduction.  I just bought VIN# 6704, as I see most of you
use the VINs to identify your cars,  which by the way I like very
much.  Leaves a paper/electronic trail of the history of the car.

I am picking up the car next week in Iowa, Dave Swingle did the
restoration on the car.  I do belive he is the moderator of this
forum.

I am bringing the car from Iowa to Maryland next week.  And Dave has
graciousley offered a mid tour inspection of the car.  Guess I
better
bring the checkbook!  But from what I understand these cars are
actually reliable!  Which to me is amazing for a car this old.

I see that there are others here that support us all.  And I think
that is great.

Now down to brass tacks, what should I get immediatley to take care
of this outstanding piece of machinnery?  I know I need to get the
manuals, but what else?

Can't wait to meet some of you, and at least email with all of you.

Best to all,

Bernie

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:31:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Performance Suspension

You have to buy the instructions to install DMCH
parts?

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 00:45:02 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Another A/C post...

I've been following the A/C topic for a while now (I'd try to
help
others troubleshoot but obviously I don't know a whole lot about
A/C),
and it prompted me to check out the operation of my system. I had the
A/C on for a while today and when I parked the car, I checked out the
compressor- and the fittings to the compressor were sweating badly,
enough that there were drops dripping off and onto the headers. It
also appeared that there was sweat on the first 6" of the low side
hose from the connection, not sure if it was just the drops rolling
down from the connector or not (doubt it just by the pattern).
What's this all about…normal? The A/C air was noticeably
colder today
then the few times I ran the system. I'm running R134, good
pressure.
Drier, hoses, orifice all new, but I also have this whirring sound
coming from my evaporator/drier area only when the A/C is on and
fades
to silent after the A/C is turned off, anyone know what this is?
Thanks for any help guys. Dani B. #5003

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:19:36 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Engine Electrical Connections

Todd,

The connector in your picture does connect to the WOT  wide open throttle
switch.  The other connection is to the automatic  transmission kick down switch.

I could not find your name in the DOD so I don't know whether you have  an
automatic or not.

If you do you should see 2 switches near the throttle spool stacked on top
of the other.

If you have a manual I guess one side is not used but since I have an auto  I
can't confirm that.

(Gee you engine looks so nice and clean, I'm jealous!)

D˛ & 6530

Dave Delman

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:57:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Marc Levy wrote:

> You have to buy the instructions to install DMCH parts?

How many aftermarket suspensions come with install instructions?

I think the general assumption with springs and shocks is that if you
don't know how to do it, you probably shouldn't be.  There are no real
tricks to getting the DMCH suspension installed.  I did it (sans
instructions) in a couple of hours, and it was pretty much like every
other suspension install I've done on other cars.

A howto is nice, but hardly modus operandi of the aftermarket parts
industry, and given the dangers involved in spring installation, perhaps
even unwise.

-andrew

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:21:40 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Upper door seals

Dennis, Drill out and use screws or Pop Rivets. You can do it with the door
on.

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:25:12 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: LEDs in Dome Lights--Do I need that white relay?

That is the recommended thing to do... that is what I did last year
based on advice from this list when I changed over.
-Kevin

On 6/8/05, PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:
> I found out today that I can in fact make the interior dome lights shut off
> when the door is shut if I remove the white relay back in the electrical
> compartment.   I am almost positive that all this relay does is make the lights
> delay 15 seconds after the door is shut, correct?   It works fine with my regular
> bulbs in the dome lights, but with the LEDs installed the lights didn't shut
> off when the relay was in place.
>
> Just thought I would double check to see if this is dangerous, or is this a
> perfectly fine thing to do?
>
> -Patrick C.

-Kevin

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 02:04:51 -0000
From: "dmcmike2002" <billsfanmd_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Hello All

When you make it back to MD I can help you go over the car too. About
3-4 owners get together here and do work at my house. Just get ready
to buy lots of things you never imagined. First you need to ge tthe
mechanical things taken care of then you can work on the cosmetics and
ss upgrades. If your tool collection is lacking I can tell you what
tools you need to do the basics....Welcome to DMC ownership.

Mike C
2109
MD

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:20:26 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Newbe to this site.

Welcome to the site and to the De Lorean world. It would help if someone
knew your name and Vin #.

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 02:27:14 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

On the other hand, it would be nice to have something in the box that
tells you where to start on the rear height setting - that was the only
real head-scratcher for me. It would save Bill Morgan a phone call for
every set they sell.

Dave

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:36:44 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Water Pump Controversy

Martin,
I'm very much aware of the different water pumps for the Volvo and all the
little tricks and differences, But for the DeLorean the pumps I sell and
work with are the exact same thing.

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:33:08 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Shade Tree Mechanic

ok, He will most likely make one as I did in the beginning. Most people
don't keep the original tool around unless they have a Delorean.

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:31:41 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Every aftermarket suspension part i bought came with instructions.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:39:54 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

Hello Bernie:

I live in Odenton Maryland and if you need any fee help or assistance  you
are more than welcome to come on over to my garage for DMC talk &  coffee.

Sincerely,
Michael Pack

In a message dated 06/08/2005 9:42:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net writes:

[...]

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:10:50 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Engine Electrical Connections

Todd,
2 light green and 2 black by the tech manual on page 72 both got to the same
place. I have seen on other cars only one set of connections. It shouldn't
matter. Kinda like the hot start relay socket, just laying up there with
nothing in it. It was cheaper to make one harness instead of 2.

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 03:17:52 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

That's very nearly the first parapgraph of the "how to" that was
written for these...if you need instructions, it's probably not
something you should be trying to do.

Nevertheless, an overview of how we do it here in the shop has been
created, and is now included with spring sets that we sell. If you
bought yours prior to this date, it's also available in PDF format and
I've asked that a copy be forwarded to Mark and Tom.

If you buy the part from us, instructions are free. If you're just
building your "how-to" library and want a copy of instructions, that's
why they're published in "deloreans". If you're Marc Levy, you have to
come get them from us here in person. :-)

James Espey
Tongue firmly planted in cheek in regards to that last sentence.
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/872-3621

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:28:44 -0700
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

Don't worry, you won't damage anything by removing the white module. When
the doors are closed, the ground is cut to the lights. The white module
would normally provide a temporary ground that allows the lights to stay on
briefly. Unfortunately for you, the 1970's technology in the white module
wasn't designed for LEDs. As you noticed, once removed the lights will turn
off immediately when the doors are closed as they don't have that temporary
ground.

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 04:09:17 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

DeLoreans *CAN* be reliable. Not every example out there is. But if
Dave gave yours his blessing, I'm sure it will be as reliable as mine
(100 miles every day to two different schools).

DeLoreans look much more exotic than they in fact are. Thus, they
actually age quite nicely. There are a few design flaws that must be
attended to -- ask Dave about the trailing arm bolts and cooling fan
wiring (he may well have updated them). DeLorean frames are very
susceptible to road salt -- be careful driving yours in MD winters.
And I count myself among the owners who have concerns about age of the
fiberglass bodies, especially regarding the factory jacking points
(others owners do not worry about body age).

If you can spare a week next June-ish (2006), there's going to be a
big national DeLorean get together in the Chicago area:
http://www.deloreancarshow.com
The Mid Atlantic club gets together at least twice per year:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com
Owners often travel to these events in little silver caravans. One of
these days a fellow MD owner may even stage a Cannonball type run down
I-95 to surprise his unsuspecting relatives in Florida....

I'm sure Dave advised you to buy a Workshop Manual. To that, I'd add
DMCH's reprint of Stainless Steel Illusion, the ubiquitous Gold
Portfolio anthology, and as many Volvo B28/CI/CIS manuals as you can
get your hands on (not generic Haynes/Chilton, but the official green
factory manuals).

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 00:15:11 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

I agree with Dave , the lack of the rear height adjustment took several
"adjustments" before I got it right but some of it is also personal
preference. I would consider 2 hours a world record time. Mine was 2 weeks
by the time I powder coated everything I could fit in an oven.

If vendors are reading this, I would also include with any instructions a
recommended tool list. In this case, the most important would be acquiring
the correct spring compressor. As many, including myself, have previously
said this is potentially a VERY DANGEROUS PROCEDURE! Always take a step back
and think what your next step is and the potential dangers and how you
protect yourself from them.

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 04:14:50 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Actually it delays them after the door is OPENED. Keep it open long
enough and the courtesy lights will go out as soon as you close it,
rather than delaying as you'd expect. Yet another curious piece of DMC
engineering.

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 04:26:58 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: DeLorean in Family Guy

I just recently noticed a DeLorean parked outside of The Drunken Clam
in the first minute of the Family Guy Episode "One if by Clam, Two if
by Sea" from Season Three.

I uploaded a screen capture to the photos section under a folder "TV
Show Sightings."

--Greg

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:51:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Special rules for me (Marc Levy).

LOL!

You made a similar statement a few weeks back,
something about me going to the DMCH-OH event..  To
which I responded asking if there were any spots left
for me...  However, the message was *"lost".  I would
have considered going, you look to have a good weekend
lined up.  Truth is, I felt it may have been in bad
taste for me to show up at YOUR event.  Although I
have no personal vendetta or agenda (I know it does
not seem that way!!), I would not want to create a
situation where you should be concerned about me
causing any problems at your event...  See you in
2006, in the dunking booth!

* I say lost, because I did not receive an official
rejection notice.  But it seems to be common for my
posts to be rejected with no notification, or reason.

<SNIP>

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 05:50:59 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Front License Plate Holes Question

This may be a stupid/obvious question to some buuuut..

I'm still looking for a car to dedicate my life to.  I live in Arizona
where a front license plate is thankfully not required.  I hate the
way they look and I don't want my DeLorean to have it (My daily driver
originally came from Colorado and has two stupid-looking screws
sticking out the front of it right now.)

Unfortunately this somewhat limits my options of where to obtain a car
(unless I want to cough up for a new fascia).  Are the holes from the
license plate bracket repairable without looking funny?  I'm not sure
if I could really be satisified if they were just
filled/sanded/painted.  Is it reasonable to think that a service shop
or new owner located in a city that requires the front plates be
willing to swap one out with an original fascia with no holes?  It may
seem like a pretty petty thing to some of you (in perspective of say,
rust or bad wiring fixes) but it's as important to me as the interior
color and hood design.  Waiting this long for a car has made me very
picky.

-Steelskin
VIN# 0000