From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2669
Date: Thursday, June 09, 2005 3:56 PM

1. Re: Re: LEDs in Dome Lights--Do I need that white relay?
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

2. RE: Headlights, Cooling fans and blower motor
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. Re: Engine Electrical Connections
From: <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

4. Re: Hello All
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Engine Electrical Connections
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>

6. Re: Where do I find demineralized water for cooling system?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Headlights, Cooling fans and blower motor
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: DeLorean in Family Guy
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Performance Suspension
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. DeLorean jack review
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

11. Re: Where do I find demineralized water for cooling system?
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Re: Where do I find demineralized water for cooling system?
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. Re: Engine Electrical Connections
From: "stan davis" <sldav_at_dml_msn.com>

14. Vin #5720 from Ohio on eBay
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

15. Re: Where do I find demineralized water for cooling system?
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Re: LEDs in Dome Lights--Do I need that white relay?
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Seat Options
From: doki_pen <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. DMC factory groundbreaking story
From: "Greg Linstad" <glinstad_at_dml_aseptico.com>

19. Re: Re: Hello All
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. RE: Upper door seals
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

21. Re: Another A/C post...
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

22. My car is up for sale - VIN 961
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Hello All (nice car)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

24. Re: Where do I find demineralized water for cooling system?
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

25. Re: Re: DeLorean in Family Guy
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:13:46 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: LEDs in Dome Lights--Do I need that white relay?

What he means is when the relay is in place, if you open the door and shut it
really quickly, the lights stay on for 15 (give or take) seconds before they
shut off.   If you leave the door open for 15 seconds, then shut it, the
lights go out immediately.   Kind of a cool feature, many aren't aware its there,
and the rest don't use it.

-Patrick C.

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:31:35 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Headlights, Cooling fans and blower motor

Mike, I you out and put a volt meter across the battery terminals to measure
the battery voltage. What does it read??

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:33:09 -0400
From: <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Electrical Connections

Dave's explanation is correct.   On the manual the other connector is not used and just sits there.  That was one of the first questions I asked after checking into my engine compartment the first time!
KP
4547

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:38:54 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Hello All

And I am in Rockville. A noob to the group, but one with manuals and
willing to help if I can.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Packodenton_at_dml_a... wrote:

> Hello Bernie:
>
> I live in Odenton Maryland and if you need any fee help or
assistance  you
> are more than welcome to come on over to my garage for DMC talk &
coffee.

> Sincerely,
> Michael Pack

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:57:50 -0000
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>

John, Do you have the components to add the full throttle function to
a B28 (1980 Volvo)that didn't come with it?  I have a manual
transmission and have the hot start impulse relay.  Does the full
throttle function send a ground to terminal 11 of the ECU?  Thanks

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:59:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Where do I find demineralized water for cooling system?

If the water in your area is very hard there are a couple of things
you can do. You can buy bottled water. It would probably be cheapest
to get a 5 gallon bottle that they use on water coolers. You can buy a
thing in the supermarket that is used to demineralize the water that
is put into steam irons. Do not use distilled water. Some stores do
sell premixed but you wind up paying a lot for water that way.

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:13:09 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If you have cleaned all the connections it is time to go
troubleshooting. You could have a bad connection to a plug or a
terminal connector. You use your voltmeter to look at voltage drops
across connections and wires. For instance if you read a voltage of
say 2 volts between a wire and the point it is grounded to you know
there is a resistance there interfering with the flow of current. Dirt
and corrosion can be sneaky. Even clean, shiny connections could have
an invisible coating of oxidation or maybe you have to remove the
epoxy paint off the frame to get a good connection. Sometimes the
connector where it is crimped onto the wire is corroded inside and
even though the wire is on tightly it is not elecrically connected. I
have seen (not on Deloreans) where a connector was put onto a wire but
the wire was not stripped so the connector and the wire were insulated
from each other. Sometimes you have to look for the less obvious. Heat
is also a clue. Any connection that gets warm or hot is causing
resistance.

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:14:26 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean in Family Guy

Is that the episode with the "Black to the Future" joke/spoof?

"You outatime baby!"

-Derek L
VIN 5302

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_g...> wrote:
> I just recently noticed a DeLorean parked outside of The Drunken
Clam
> in the first minute of the Family Guy Episode "One if by Clam, Two
if
> by Sea" from Season Three.
>
> I uploaded a screen capture to the photos section under a folder "TV
> Show Sightings."

gs&.src=gr&.dnm=Family+Guy+-+One+if+By+Clam.gif&.view=t&.done=http%
3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/lst%3f%26.dir=/TV%2bShow%
2bSightings%26.src=gr%26.view=t

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:15:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Performance Suspension

1st...James.  Thank you for letting me know that at PDF will be on it's way to me.  I didn't mean for my post to start a lengthy debate over the instructions for your items that may also appear in the magazine.   Again, I would subscribe to deloreans even if I wasn't doing some of my own work.  I don't wish to start another thread about the mag being a marketing tool that, as some feel, should be given away for free etc....I don't agree with that sentiment and it's really a topic that has been beaten to death. To each his own opinions.

2nd  My wish for "instructions" is more for the guy who will help me.  Many times experienced mechanics look at our cars and "think" they know how to do something.
I had one Volvo place want to drill holes through the frame to get at the exhaust manifold studs when I needed gaskets replaced.

The delorean's mag article on instructions will be a neat archival thing to have and I"m sure it will come in handy with the usual photo shots and detailed step-by-step,  but my friend who will be working with me on this just replaced all my tires for me and while he had it up on the lift he took a peek at the set-up and says it's no problem......yet I still like to have instructions from our vendors if there is an issue or question.

Tom Watkins

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:17:06 -0400
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: DeLorean jack review

With some extra time on my hands and while I was in the "trunk" of the DeLorean I decided to pull out my jack from the storage compartment. Unwrapping the pack I found the following:
One jack
One rachet handle
Two spark plug wrenches
One lug wrench

I guess the rest of the tools made their way into someones tool box.

Since I had the jack out I decided to try it out while I was in a nice clean garage and I had never tried to use it since I bought the car. Come to find out that the little lip on the jack engagement point was bent inward thus not allowing the engagement pin on the jack to engage the hole in the body mount. Applying a wrench to the lip piece and bending it to its proper shape now gives me full engagement of the pin into the body mount hole.

The moral of the story is if you have never tried out your jack, do it now because you don't want to find out these problems some dark rainy night in the mud.

Dave Sontos

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:35:48 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

Distilled is the word indeed; you'll see it on gallon bottles at the
grocery store of your choice.  That should do it.  Also, there are
premixed coolants, although I would think the price would be higher
than regular coolant + water per unit volume.

--Greg

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:38:26 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

Yes, yes, yes and yes.  Prestone makes a good green 50/50 pre-mix that
is manufactured with distilled water.  A good rule to follow, is to
just make sure the anti-freeze you do use is safe for aluminum.

Johnny
5518

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 12:31:52 -0400
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:02:38 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Vin #5720 from Ohio on eBay

I've seen that some of you are willing to do a big favor and check out
local DeLoreans for prospective buyers.  Is anyone out there in the
Perrysburg, Ohio area willing to check on the one in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi
ewItem&rd=1&item=4555465642&category=31830

This one fits right in to my criteria aside from the front plate and
the fender ding.  I'd have to send the fender somewhere to get fixed
but since I can't see the ding in the pics hopefully it isn't too bad.
I'll buy ya lunch for your trouble :)  PM me if you are willing to do
this.
Thx,

-Steelskin

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:38:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

At your local AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, Pep Boys, etc.

Or are there coolants already premixed 50/50?

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:40:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Not syaing anyone's wrong, but I recently found this luxury while reading my glovebox manual.  Yes, I am a nerd and totally lifeless sometimes.

Open the door for 20+ secs, shut the door, lights go off.  Open the door, bring it back down and shut it immediately - light delays for 10 seconds.  Unless you're talking about nit-picky about whaen the delay is, I have nothing else to offer there.

Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk> wrote:
Are you sure about that, Bill? I think you'll find that the wiring makes
what you suggest impossible.

Martin

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:45:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: doki_pen <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Seat Options

Hi guys, the seats in my car are badly worn and i'm
wondering what my options are in "redoing" them?
Recovering? Complete replacements?  What do you think
gives the best results as far as looks and comfort go?
 Thanks!

Jon

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:40:09 -0700
From: "Greg Linstad" <glinstad_at_dml_aseptico.com>
Subject: DMC factory groundbreaking story

I received an interesting story from a man in Ireland who has a spade
(square blade, short handled shovel) that was used during the
Groundbreaking Ceremony for the original Dunmurray factory. His name is
Gary Scott and with his permission I am posting these details.

In his words:

   "This spade was used at the groundbreaking ceremony when the DeLorean
site was opened in 1978. My father was the Government official
responsible for leasing the factory to John Z and ended up with the
spade which we have used in our garden for the last 27 years. The
inscription is a bit worn (as you would imagine) but reads:

   Presented to

   Department of Commerce

   October 2 1978

   Groundbreaking

   DeLorean Motor Cars LTD

   Assembly Plant

   Dunmurry Industrial Estate

   Belfast Northern Ireland

  It is of course made of stainless steel and is probably as close to a
DeLorean I will ever get! I remember as a teenage boy John and his
hugely glamorous wife visiting our house in Belfast. I even got a ride
in one of the first cars off the production line when my brother and I
were taken on a tour of the Dunmurray site."

I also have a picture and it is as he said "a bit worn". I'm sure to him
it represents his own "piece of History".

I think this is a new item of the DeLorean Saga not mentioned before.

Greg Linstad

VIN# 1216

VIN# 6214

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:55:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Hello All

> DeLoreans *CAN* be reliable. Not every example out
> there is.

Correct.  Mine was a mini-restoration.  Car was 10k,
anywhere between another 12k-20k in parts/misc
items/tools.  I stopped counting after 12k; the
project car spiral was ominously close.  Casey's car
(the DeLorean owner who helped me restore mine) needed
a paint job on the rims, fascias, and a new headliner
- then his car was off and running.  Prefect
mechanical condition.  Dave is with you so you should
be fine especially if he's already "started" to say
so.

> cooling fan
> wiring (he may well have updated them).

I would personally make sure the entire relay system
is updated,cleaned, and all connections tightened.
Without a doubt though, cooling fan wiring = major
attention until it's safe.  Door locks should have
attention as well in terms of "being safe and
reliable".  Last thing you want is to go to TGIFridays
or Applebee's or wherever with everyone looking at you
while you struggle with a door handle that will NOT
open with force.

> If you can spare a week next June-ish (2006),
> there's going to be a
> big national DeLorean get together in the Chicago
> area:
> http://www.deloreancarshow.com
> Owners often travel to these events in little silver
> caravans.

If you miss DCS 2006, you just don't know how much
you'll miss out on.  Everything from BTTF cast stories
and DeLorean original worker stories and Twin turbo
engineers to DeLoreans being crashed into hotel rooms!
 Stuff you just don't want to miss ;).

> I'm sure Dave advised you to buy a Workshop Manual.
> To that, I'd add
> DMCH's reprint of Stainless Steel Illusion, the
> ubiquitous Gold
> Portfolio anthology, and as many Volvo B28/CI/CIS
> manuals as you can
> get your hands on (not generic Haynes/Chilton, but
> the official green
> factory manuals).

Not that this needs "in addition to" posted with it,
but I personally download/print/document/book ANYTHING
I see on the internet that is useful.  I practically
carry SpecialTAuto's reference pages with me, along
with some excellent tips and documentation from any
DeLorean website I can get my hands on.  Sometimes
those private/personal collections of information will
tell you things the "official" DeLorean manuals do not
tell you in plain site.  Other times, you may find
tricks and tips that aren't documented in any official
manual.  Good to attack a problem from all avenues if
you ask me.

My thoughts - now gimme my penny.  I'm saving for a
new binnacle =P.

Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:02:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: RE: Upper door seals

Do you have to order rivits from a parts dealer or can u pick them up anywhere?

John Hervey <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com> wrote:
Dennis, Drill out and use screws or Pop Rivets. You can do it with the door
on.

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:44:12 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Another A/C post...

That is a good sign - it is the pressure equalizing at the orifice
tube. Nothing to worry about. The low pressure hose, especially at
the fitting, will typically sweat, like you observed, on humid days.

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:19:05 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: My car is up for sale - VIN 961

Could you provide a more detailed list of what you have had done to the car.
  I checked the ebay page but was hoping for more detail.  What does the car
need done next in your opinion?  A/C blows cold etc.?
-Alex

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:45:29 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Hello All (nice car)

Bernie,

My name is Rich Weissensel and I assisted Dave Swingle with the
refurbishing of VIN...6704 two winters ago.  Make sure to get all
the receipts and paperwork that Dave gave the previous owner, so
you do not have to double check things that already are done.

I also compiled a CD full of digital photos (mine and Dave's) of
the refurbishing job, so try to get that copy with car as well.
If you do not get the CD, I will make another one to give to Dave
that you can pick up next week, on your long drive east to MD.

You will also want to contact Ron Wester (GullWing Magazine) and
get the two back issues that contain the two part story of this
car's refurbishing, written by Dave and myself.  While you are at
it, sign up for a whole year subscription to GullWing as well.

As Dave mentioned earlier about this car, I do have a good memory
for repairs, so between Dave and I, I'm sure we can tell what the
status was of every part of that car (as of two winters ago), just
before the car was delivered back to the owner.

I have seen a few other replies to your post that would apply to
most DeLoreans, but not this one.  Virtually everything has been
checked out on this car (except the A/C - requested by the owner),
so there are very few mechanical issues that were not addressed.
You do not need to worry about any cosmetics unless something
happens on the way home.  This car's exterior is in great shape.
The only area needing cosmetic attention is the suspension parts
(the previous owner did not want to go that route at the time).

Here are a few other non-ebay photos of the car earlier this year.

http://www.dmcnews.com/BuyNSell/images/morepoell.html

Have a safe trip from Iowa to Maryland and if I have some time, I
will stop by Dave's to say Hi when you stop for your trip check.

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:47:03 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

David,
     What do you say NOT to use distilled water?

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 21:47:28 +0100
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean in Family Guy

The episode with the BTTF spoof is "If im dying im lying", which I believe
is the first episode...  The Delorean appears in an episode where peter
becomes a Knight at some old time fair.

Alistair.