From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2679
Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 7:12 AM

1. Re: Need advice on frame problem
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

2. Auto to Manual conversion
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

3. RE: DMC (Texas) Open House Thank you to all
From: "Nelson, Allan" <abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com>

4. Re: DMCH function finished
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Re: Clutch woes
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: Digest Number 2677
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

7. Re: DMCH 2005 Open House
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

8. Re: DeLorean Sighting at Johnson Space center
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Re: Re: Shade Tree Mechanic (MT Bleeder)
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

10. Re: Removing fuel tank
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

11. FUEL DISTRIBUTOR
From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

12. Thanks to Stephen and James
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

13. Concours
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. Canadian DeLorean Event (was: DMCH function finished)
From: "Mike Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

15. Re: Eurofest Teaser DVD
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Concours
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>

17. Re: Frequency Valve operation
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

18. Re: DMCH 2005 Open House
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. RE: FUEL DISTRIBUTOR
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. Re: Thanks to Stephen and James
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. RE: Removing fuel tank
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

22. RE: Re: Shade Tree Mechanic (MT Bleeder)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. Re: Clutch woes
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

24. Re: Shade Tree Mechanic Otterstadt Switch
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. Re: Auto to Manual conversion
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:18:48 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Need advice on frame problem

I should learn to try a little harder before I go posting.  A crowbar
did the trick :)

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:26:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Auto to Manual conversion

I can't agree more with what David wrote (see below), I did all of these things and it included a plane ticket to Houston because DMCH installed my new computer. Total cost was less than $1,000.00.

Plus I really enjoyed driving the back roads from Houston to Denver after it was done!

"David Teitelbaum" wrote:
"All you may need to fix up the auto trans is a
fluid and filter change, external adjustments, and a shift computer.
Make sure the vacuum modulater is working and check the line pressure."

Dan Haney
vin 3254  automatic

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:38:03 -0500
From: "Nelson, Allan" <abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com>
Subject: RE: DMC (Texas) Open House Thank you to all

Is there a website with up-to-date photos of Proto 1?  I would love to see
it in its current state.

Al

[snip]

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:38:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH function finished

Even though this is not DeLorean related (my
response),I thought I'd warn you all.  If you do not
have a passport, take something that proves you were
born in the US like your birth certificate and not a
copy - THE original.  I'm dead serious.  I went to
Wisconsin to visit my dad, while I was that close I
figured I'd go to Canada to meet some friends.  Well
thank God one of my dad's friends told me to get my
birth certificate sent up via FedEx Next Day Delivery,
or I would have been SOL.  Just thought I'd help save
any irritation because they will NOT let you in no
matter how big a fit you throw or how many DeLoreans
want in.  They'll laugh at you and tell you to go home
(which was Florida for me).

Jeremiah

[Moderator Note:  If your name is different from that shown on your Birth Certificate (i.e. you chaged your name after marriage) it's a good idea to bring documentation of that, too.  I know a married woman who believes her marriage license saved her hours at the U.S. / Canadian border.]

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:04:06 -0500
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Clutch woes

Bill,

On 6/13/05, content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net> wrote:
> Rather unusual clutch fork retainer repair. I fixed mine by simply
> rotating it 180 degrees and cutting a new slot (upper & lower
> perimeters are mirror images of one another). There's a pic in #5939's
> photo album. You probably snapped the original by trapping it BETWEEN
> the pivot ball and the clutch fork. From the bent shape of what's left
> this time, you did so again.

I'm confused. The bent shape? It doesn't look bent to me.

When I first pulled things apart last fall, the metal clip broke off
in the center. That center part was rusty, as was the rest of the
fork. Amazingly nothing else on the car is rusty that I've ever seen,
but anyway. I sandblasted & primered the fork, then linked the two
ends of the little metal clip with some spring-metal and rivets.

This time, the two little teeth at the end are broken off. They
weren't perfect when I put it back together so this is no real
surprise.

Where, exactly, does the clip go? I thought it went behind that pivot
ball to hold the clutch fork there.

Can I simply remove what's left of this clip and install without it?
Does it perform any necessary function other than making installation
easier?

> I'm not a big fan of turning flywheels. They are massive pieces of
> metal, not usually subject to warpage (as brake rotors are). Also do

Unfortunately, the warranty for my clutch system required this be done.

> If your pressure plate was indeed bolted all the way down (it takes a
> little torque to force it onto those studs), I'd suggest your flywheel
> is now too thin (by virtue of turning). I believe the clutch disc
> surface is supposed to be raised higher than the pressure plate
> surface (where the studs are). Is it possible your machinist removed
> that raised area? Can't tell from the pics whether it's still raised
> or not.

It's raised, but barely. I'm going to pickup a tool tonight and
measure both surfaces, should tell me whether my flywheel is OK or
not.

It's entirely possible my pressure plate was not bolted all the way
down. I need to go back through my records to see if I had any torque
specs (if I did, I would have used them). I do know that I didn't
specifically look to ensure the plate was bolted all the way down to
the studs.

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:45:00 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 2677

Thanks, Joe O'Brien for bringing up that touchy gas tank story again.

So I made a mistake and drove the car with the bottom gas tank plate off &
the bloody thing fell out. It was never mentioned not to drive with it off,
on this list anyway, and this list is the bible of correctness, when it
comes to DeLoreans. Glad the gas tank was made of poly. Gas mileage sure was
lousy on my ride home When it hit the road, it wore a hole on a corner, and
leaked gas for miles. It was easy to find my place!

Has no one else done something dumb with their car? Am I the only
sacrificial lamb?

This could be the start of a new thread!

Marv.

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:36:10 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH 2005 Open House

I enjoyed the open house too.

I got a kick out of the DOA saying we are all together in the Delorean
world, does this mean they are going to recognize the DML and other
Delorean clubs that are not part of the DOA?

Mark V

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:27:32 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Sighting at Johnson Space center

Wasn't me, I was at the beach Sunday getting burned.
It's Casey, or KC... I'm not sure.
He works very hard, long hours, etc, and hasn't ever responded to my notes
on the windshield and avoided me before.
-Kevin C (sometimes KC, but not this time)
#4687 (his number is a little higher, and miles are higher too)

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:51:48 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Shade Tree Mechanic (MT Bleeder)

Just a quick question.  I can't seem to locate it on the parts lists...
Where is the otterstat?  My fans will not come at all.  I know it's not bad
fans, I tested both of them.  I guess the problem lies with the otterstate.
If I could just find it........

Lingo  #02034
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:53:58 -0400
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Removing fuel tank

Matt,
The foam pads on the sides of the tank are holding the tank in place. If the
normal pushing and pulling don't budge the tank then you need to cut through
the foam pads. I used a thin piano wire and just looped it over each pad and
sawed through each one. The tank promptly dropped out after that. Do NOT pry
on the tank, as tempting as this may be, it is only plastic.

Dave Sontos

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 01:36:02 -0000
From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: FUEL DISTRIBUTOR

http://www.projectdelorean.com/tech.html
from this website came this tech tip
Fuel Distributor:  DON'T TAKE THEM APART!  This bit of wisdom comes
from experience.  I figured I'd take it apart to clean it.  Well I
cleaned it, reassembled it and tried it.  IT LEAKED!  I cleaned it
again.  (with alcohol while wearing surgical gloves)  IT LEAKED
AGAIN!  I tried using a permatex-type sealant on the metal gasket.  IT
STILL LEAKED.  I dissassembled it again, removed all the sealant and
tried a spray-on sealant.  IT STILL F**KING LEAKED!  So, my advice to
anyone considering disassembling the fuel distributor; DON'T.  They
truly are "non-servicable"  (and GOD I hate to admit that!)

I think im having that problem between the fuel distributor and cold
start valve, i ordered new hose and bolts from DMCH and i dont know
how to fix it. The hose hasnt come in yet so i havent gotten to try
it, but i have a feeling its still going to leak. DMCH sent me a hose
on the 3 by snail mail and i still havent gotten it. I might call them
tomorrow. Thanks for the help

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:15:58 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Thanks to Stephen and James

I wanted to post a message to thank Stephen Wynne and James Espey
for the great hospitality at the DMCH Open House, as well as some
outstanding technical support I received afterward.

I drove 3002 1,400 miles from Detroit to Houston with no major
mechanical issues (just a little wet carpet from a blocked A/C
condenser drain, which Justin at DMCH fixed upon my arrival).  My
brother, nephews and I had a great time at the event, and left for
home on Sunday.

While driving back I stopped for gas and my car wouldn't start, just
a strong crank.  I called DMCH and spoke to James, then Stephen.
Within minutes they talked me through a few technical checks and
determined that it was an issue with the fuel pump relay.  A couple
minutes later I was back on the road without further incident.  The
level of technical knowledge that Stephen and James have about
DeLoreans is amazing.

After driving 2800 miles this weekend I know that I can travel
anywhere in my DeLorean with confidence.  And if I do run into any
problems DMCH and their expertise is ready and willing to lend a
hand.  Anyone considering buying a D from them or having service
done on their car can do so with the utmost confidence that the work
will be done right and that the staff has the highest concern for
their customers and their cars.

Thanks again!

Sandor
# 3002

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:15:48 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Concours

Hi
I posted to the Millennium group earlier and thought I would do so here as
well.

The DMCH open house was a very enjoyable and despite having  to compete in
90+ degree weather with about the same humidity I managed to  survive.

Knut posted the winners before and as been the case before I seem to  be the
Avis here
(We try harder LOL)

Anyway this was a good concours
The four cars there were all clean and in great shape. And everyone  had had
fun joking around and having fun cleaning the road dust off at  least 10 times
between 8 am and 10 am.

We had two newcomers to the concours
Robert with a car he brought from Atlanta and  Shandor  Piszar  from Michigan.

I have talked to Shandor on the e-mails before and it was a pleasure seeing
him there and welcome to the Concours group.

He drove his car to the concours reminding me of the first concours I
attended where I drove my car there as well.

Its great to see these new owners and that there are that many cars that  can
still represent the marquis that way.

Shandor will be back I am sure with the rest of us so it looks like this
event will just grow now over time and not die out like people had  predicted.
He will truly be one we will watch out for in the next  event.

My thanks to all of the competitors in making this an interesting and fun
event.

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:18:10 -0400
From: "Mike Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Canadian DeLorean Event (was: DMCH function finished)

Marv is an excellent host and throws a wonderful event.  I know a lot of our
Ohio owners are going to be in attendance, and I strongly recommend that any
DeLorean owner go out of your way to attend his event.  You won't regret it.
You might even get into the history books!

It's this coming weekend in the southern part of Ontario.  Come on you east
coast and Chicago people, give Canada a try!  It's an easy drive and you'll
love Marv's event!

BTW he's not lying about the girls in bikinis.  This is the southernmost
part of Canada, with real beaches and summer fun.  What have you got to
lose?

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280
11 blissful years

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:34:53 -0400
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Eurofest Teaser DVD

VideoBob,
I do know the difference between US and UK/European technical video standards!  The DVDs are playable in the USA. (Maybe you got a bootleg copy?)
BTW the guy in England selling the pirate copies on Ebay has been legally cautioned and has withdrawn all copyrighted material from the internet.  So no more illegal copies of Ulster tv programmes will be tolerated on Ebay.  Capiche?
Robert

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:42:06 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Concours

Thanks for the kind words Ken, I appreciate it.  I learned a lot
from the other participants in this event, your cars were
incredible.  Also, thanks to your son for the great A/V work at the
dinner on Saturday night!

I am an enthusiastic newbie and look forward to future events.

Sandor
# 3002

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:03:42 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Frequency Valve operation

Right you are, once the relay gets hot it stops working. In fact, now
that you mention the relay-the car is long overdue for relay upgrades…
Thank you-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:07:29 -0000
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I don't understand.  Was the DOA at the open house?  Wouldn't their
representation there indicate recognition of DMCH, it's magazine and
organization?  DOA members have been at every DeLorean event I can
remember.

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:21:18 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: FUEL DISTRIBUTOR

Your experience is what I have told people for years about fuel distributors
and WUR. If you do take them apart and was fortunate to put it back together
and it didn't leak, then you would still have problems if you don't put all
the parts in the same holes they came out of. Pressure test and flow are
crucial in a proper operating distributor. We have rebuilt in stock.

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:21:33 -0000
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Thanks to Stephen and James

Hi Sandor!
Good to hear that you made it home to MI safe and sound.  The reason
you list below about Stephen and James is exactly why I am
purchasing a car from them and feel confident about doing so.   Your
story just adds reassurance to the decision I've already made!

Christian Jarzab
Phoenix, AZ
VIN (soon)

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:22:37 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Dave and Matt, I have new foam pads if you need them.

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:24:30 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Robert, If you will take a look at my cooling page, you will see what you
need.
John Hervey

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/cooling-system.html

> Just a quick question.  I can't seem to locate it on the parts
> lists...
> Where is the otterstat?  My fans will not come at all.  I know it's
> not bad fans, I tested both of them.  I guess the problem lies with
> the otterstate.
> If I could just find it........

Lingo  #02034

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:31:56 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch woes

In the pic it looks like the remaining piece is bent into the fork's
ball recess. Apologies.

You need the retainer to hold the cluch fork in place until the
transmission is seated against the engine. Once bolted up, it does
indeed become redundant.

Volvo factory literature doesn't list a torque spec for the allen head
pressure plate bolts. As long as they pull it all the way to the
flywheel, and are tight enough not to come loose thereafter (remember:
the pressure plate spins at engine RPM's -- even 6,000), anything
should be OK.

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:59:55 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Shade Tree Mechanic Otterstadt Switch

The otterstadt switch is in the pipe just to the left of the dipstick.
It is in the bottom of the pipe and you can see it easier from
underneath. Just use a paper clip, straighten it out, and stick it
into both the wires on the switch. If that doesn't make the fans run
check the relay, the bypass, or the circuit breaker. Make sure the
header bottle is 1/2 full and the system is bled. If the pump is full
of air it cannot pump the hot coolant past the switch.

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:36:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Auto to Manual conversion

I did an auto to manual to conversion of my first D about 20 years ago.
 Doing it was not a big deal for this occasional half-a___ mechanic.

I dropped the auto tranny, swapped the pedals & linkage, installed the
clutch master and hydraulic line, installed the manual tranny w/a new
Centerforce clutch, enlarged the hole in the center console tube for
the linkage, installed the shifter and linkage and drove it for 20
years.

The most difficult part was cutting the hole for the shifter and
linkage to fit (which I did by hand w/a hacksaw blade) and aligning the
shaft into the flywheel (which I stupidly did w/o a $5 alignment tool).

I definitely prefer the performance of the manual tranny.

Woody