From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2680
Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 2:36 PM

1. Re: Special rules for me (Marc Levy)
From: "dmcgreece" <dmcgreece_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Otterstat (WAS Shade Tree Mechanic )
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

3. Re: DMC (Texas) Open House Thank you to all
From: "Vanilla Thunder" <vanilla_thunder2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: DMC (Texas) Open House Thank you to all
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Re: Shade Tree Mechanic (MT Bleeder)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

6. Re: Need advice on frame problem
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

7. What Scotch-Brite Blending Pad to use?
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

8. Re: DMC factory groundbreaking story
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Re: Otterstat (WAS Shade Tree Mechanic )
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

10. DeLorean Museum DCS Chicago
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. Cold start need help
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>

12. Re: Digest Number 2677
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. Re: Eurofest Teaser DVD
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Re: Clutch woes
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. Re:DMCH function finished
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

16. Re: Clutch woes
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

17. Installing window glass?
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:24:42 -0000
From: "dmcgreece" <dmcgreece_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Special rules for me (Marc Levy)

I have had several posts rejected which did not allow me to follow up
or respond to issues that are important to me in regards to the the
Delorean community.  I haven't posted in awhile as I was discouraged
and disheartened from this show of complacency towards my postings.
Jim

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:37:00 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Otterstat (WAS Shade Tree Mechanic )

Robert - The otterstat is located in a coolant pipe on the drivers
side of the engine, just forward of the catalytic converter.  It has
two wires connected to it, and is either pointed up or down,
depending on the VIN.  It is held in place with a little spring
clip.  While these are known to fail, have you checked the other
components in the circuit, such as the fan circuit breaker, the fan
relay, and the fan fail module (if still installed)?  Have you
purchased a shop manual yet?  You might as well get that over with,
because you will need it over the long run.

You can test the system to see if the otterstat is indeed the
problem by putting in a jumper wire between the two wires that are
connected to the otterstat.  If you install a jumper, and the fans
turn on and stay on full time with the key turned on, then all other
parts of the system are probably okay (for now).  This indicates a
bad otterstat.  If the fans don't come on, then you need to start
looking at the other pieces of the puzzle, starting with the fan
fail module.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> Just a quick question.  I can't seem to locate it on the parts
lists... Where is the otterstat?  My fans will not come at all.  I
know it's not bad fans, I tested both of them.  I guess the problem
lies with the otterstate. If I could just find it........

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:38:39 -0000
From: "Vanilla Thunder" <vanilla_thunder2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DMC (Texas) Open House Thank you to all

This was my first major Delorean meet and I had a great time.  I met
some great people and constantly learning more and more information
about the Delorean.  I'm looking forward to alot more meets in the
future and hopefully the Ireland trip.
See ya,
Harvey       http://www.vanillathunder.com

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:13:15 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

...coming soon :>
My computer is tied up digitizing all this tape I shot.
I must have about 8 hours of it.

If anyone has any tape they would like to donate to the video let me know.
- VB

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 01:45:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Shade Tree Mechanic (MT Bleeder)

Lingo,
It sticks out of the metal coolant pipe on the
driver's side.It's near where the rubber hose from the
engine meets the metal pipe.You should see it sticking
out the bottom of the metal pipe with a couple of
wires sticking out of it.
Congratulations on your recent purchase!

Cheers,
Andrew
2883
Australia

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:05:06 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Need advice on frame problem

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_p...> wrote:
> So what's the trick to getting the tank out?  It seems like there's no
> place to get a grip on the bottom.  I tried using a wooden stick to
> pry it away from the fiberglass body from the top, but then I thought
> I heard something creaking and I didn't want to break anything.

Ask Marvin Stein about his unique way of removing a DeLo fuel tank.
Sorry Marv, couldn't resist!

Richard Rowe

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:21:09 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: What Scotch-Brite Blending Pad to use?

I bought a Heavy Duty and I think a Medium Duty 3M Scotch-Brite pads
recently, but can't match any part number on the package with the part
# in the technical notes ("Blending Hand Pad" Scotch-Brite #7446).  Is
the Heavy Duty pad the correct one?

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:41:56 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DMC factory groundbreaking story

With any luck I plan to try and have the shovel at the show in  Chicago

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:38:51 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: Otterstat (WAS Shade Tree Mechanic )

If your otterstat is facing upwards, you should loosen the hose clamps
and rotate the pipe so the otterstat faces down.  This will keep
the switch covered with coolant, and help keep your fan turn-on
accurate.

-------------- Original message from "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:02:36 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Museum DCS Chicago

One thing we are planning on doing in chicago is to put up a once in a
lifetime museum of John DeLorean and the history of the car and man.  The  DeLorean
family has agreed to help in this as has a few DeLorean Memorabelia
collectors.

If you have items that you think belong in this museum please contact me
offline as I don't want to give away all the stuff we are going to have.

The items will be displayed in either locked Jewlery cases or behind a
plexiglass wall at the convention center.

It will be displayed Saturday although I will need the items there Thursday
as we will be constructing the museum over the few days of the show.

All items need to be tagged and will be logged in.

This is your chance to share the history of the car the man and the  legend.

Remember this is your show and the more you can contribute the better the
show will be.

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:03:26 -0400
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>
Subject: Cold start need help

Ok, So I have a had a bad cold start problem for a while that hs gotten worse.  THe battery is great, and the starter cranks like a champ (just replaced both starter and solenoid) but it will not turn over unless I ground one of the wires to the thermal time switch.  (If I ground one of the wires the starter seems deactivated, and if I ground the other one it starts right up, no problem, but I must unplug the thermal time switch and ground that lead to start the car every day.  I just replaced the thermal time switch thinking obviously this would fix the problem, but it didn't, I still have to ground one lead to start cold, or else I am cranking forever.  Any suggestions?
Joe P.
VIN 17167 6808

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:43:39 -0500
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 2677

> Has no one else done something dumb with their car? Am I the only
> sacrificial lamb?

Didn't someone drive his D through a hotel room at DCS 04? ;-)

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:12:49 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Eurofest Teaser DVD

I hope you are only joking and being sarcastic.

Sorry, I was not sure that the DVD was done in region 1, but some of the
burns
were bad I guess because mine as well as many others are having trouble
playing
in our DVD players.
Mind you, I was playing it IN a DVD RECORDER so it should not have any
trouble
reading it!
The only thing I could get to play it was my XBOX.
-VB

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:08:49 -0500
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Clutch woes

On 6/13/05, content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net> wrote:
> In the pic it looks like the remaining piece is bent into the fork's
> ball recess. Apologies.

Ah, I see now how it looks that way. I think it just looks funny due
to the angle of the picture and the place where the clip broke off.

> You need the retainer to hold the cluch fork in place until the
> transmission is seated against the engine. Once bolted up, it does
> indeed become redundant.
>
> Volvo factory literature doesn't list a torque spec for the allen head
> pressure plate bolts. As long as they pull it all the way to the
> flywheel, and are tight enough not to come loose thereafter (remember:
> the pressure plate spins at engine RPM's -- even 6,000), anything
> should be OK.

Thanks Bill.

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:35:06 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Re:DMCH function finished

Crossing the USA / Canada border is not a life threatening experience!

If you have proper photo I.D., not smuggling in drugs, have no warrant out
for your arrest, carrying no weapons, and answering in very few words, only
the questions asked by the guard, there is no problem entering or leaving
Canada.

If you act like an idiot, say dumb things like: "No, I have none of John
DeLorean's  cocaine in this car" - good luck on your return trip home.

Canada is a friendly neighbour.

I look forward to welcoming DeLorean owners and lovers this weekend!

Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:02:09 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch woes

Try this: Put the clutch and pressure plate back onto the flywheel,
and while you're bolting it down see how much the pressure plate moves
back under the pressure of having the clutch in between. Then compare
it with someone else who has a good flywheel and all components. I
don't have my transmission out of the car, but perhaps someone else
does, or maybe a vendor has the information? If the distances are the
same then you can assume you just bolted the pressure plate down wrong
the first time and all is well, if they're really different then you
know its the flywheel that's been cut too much. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:11:59 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: Installing window glass?

I'm new to the forum here, and relatively new to ownership. I
purchased vin 10902 this spring - it was in bad shape - sat for 12
years without running. I've been working through the mechanical issues,
have the fuel system reworked, the car is running well (and driving but
don't tell the local sheriff) and may be officially on the road soon.

Before I can park it anywhere but the garage I'm going to have to
put all new glass in the Drivers Door. I have all the parts ready to
go, but one dilemma.

I've considered mounting the lower glass channel guide to the upper
glass before installing said upper glass, to make sure the glass
ends up in exactly the right spot within the door opening. It looks
me like the glass can move about 3/8" of an inch fore/aft and
up/down inside the tabs on the door, so I wanted to nail it. When
dry fitting the parts together though I've hit some snags.

The rubber seal for the top of the channel fits nicely along the
bottom of the fixed glass, but once its on the glass I can't insert
the seal properly into the aluminum channel, even with more than
moderate
coaxing. Similarly, the rubber seal will also fit nicely into the
channel
itself, but I can't get the glass inserted into it once its already
inside the channel. I can get any two pieces together, but not all 3.

I've been told to install the fixed glass and just center it up
between the tabs, and then coerce the frame onto the bottom, but
that's just a little scary. What am I missing here?

I presume that I want to get the top glass and channel in first
before installing the dropping glass.  A newbie search of the posts
didn't really address this for me. Any
help (with url links if applicable) would surely be appreciated.
I'm hoping not to have to buy a second fixed door glass.

Tom
Vin #10902
(Former Technical Director for the BTTF Rides in Hollywood and FL)