From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2681
Date: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:08 PM

1. Re: Canadian DeLorean Event (was: DMCH function finished)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

2. Re: Re: Clutch woes
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

3. smoke?
From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

4. Re: Cold start need help
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

5. DMCH Thank You
From: Bryan Pearce <bryanp_at_dml_pearce-design.com>

6. Re: Eurofest Teaser DVD
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

7. Re: Re: DMCH 2005 Open House
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

8. windscreen wiper motor
From: "mrvic20" <faycraig.newton_at_dml_virgin.net>

9. Re: Cold start need help
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: Cold start need help
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. Car for Sale in PA - NOT MINE
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

12. RE: windscreen wiper motor
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: Eurofest Teaser DVD
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

14. DOA and Re: DMCH 2005 Open House
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: smoke?
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

16. The DOA
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

17. High Idle
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: windscreen wiper motor
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

19. DOA and Re: DMCH 2005 Open House
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Brake Upgrades?
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

21. DeLorean Car Show Chicago
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

22. Brake Rotor question
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: DOA and Re: DMCH 2005 Open House
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

24. Re: Eurofest Teaser DVD
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: DOA and Re: DMCH 2005 Open House
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:57:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Canadian DeLorean Event (was: DMCH function finished)

Is this the one in grand ben? Im going on the saturday, but what time is everyone meeting and where? Thnks

Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu> wrote:Marv is an excellent host and throws a wonderful event. I know a lot of our
Ohio owners are going to be in attendance, and I strongly recommend that any
DeLorean owner go out of your way to attend his event. You won't regret it.
You might even get into the history books!

It's this coming weekend in the southern part of Ontario. Come on you east
coast and Chicago people, give Canada a try! It's an easy drive and you'll
love Marv's event!

BTW he's not lying about the girls in bikinis. This is the southernmost
part of Canada, with real beaches and summer fun. What have you got to
lose?

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280
11 blissful years

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:40:34 -0500
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Clutch woes

Thanks Dani, that's a good idea; some variation on it that I will use
when I put it back together: I know about how much pressure/how many
"turns" it required to unbolt the thing. So if it requires
significantly more to bolt it up, then that was my problem.

In the meantime, I am picking up a proper digital caliper tonight and
will measure the difference between the high & low sides of the
flywheel. That will tell me if the thing is shot or not.

-Ryan

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:16:38 -0000
From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: smoke?

My delorean runs just not perfect. I noticed some light smoke coming
from the drviers side manifold. I didnt change them yet but i have
replacement manifolds, ready for a mechanic to intstall. Now is this
smoke from something overheatng or is it from exhaust escaping from
the old manifold. YOur help is appreciated. THanks

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:14:14 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Cold start need help

Perhaps the female contacts inside the plug are spread or pushed up some
into the boot.  The TTS grounds to the body of the waterpump, which
grounds to the engine.  That circuit is hard to troubleshoot because
ground is everywhere.  The only other thing is if you used teflon tape
on the threads, that might insulate the TTS from ground.  Very strange.
Warren at DMC

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:23:56 -0500
From: Bryan Pearce <bryanp_at_dml_pearce-design.com>
Subject: DMCH Thank You

Many thanks to the staff of DMCH for not only putting on a great
event but for also finding time on Friday to take care of some minor
issues that developed on the 1,100 mile trip to Houston from Chicago.

DMCH's dedication to the DeLorean and the people that drive them is
very reassuring.

Bryan Pearce
Pearce Design Components

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:41:11 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Eurofest Teaser DVD

Mine would not play in my 5 year old  home  DVD player and gave an error
message "unrecognized format" however it works fine in my laptop. My laptop
is a month old so it must recognize the newer format.

It is a really great DVD and having been at Eurofest it made me apprrciate
it even more. Wish my car had been there and wish we had something of this
"professional quality" for our events of the cars, the history, and the
people. Bob does a good job however I do not think he has the first hand
resources you do of the historical information.
Thanks Rob for the excellent archive! Keep them coming!!

Cecil Longwisch
#10663

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:29:43 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DMCH 2005 Open House

Yes they were there.

Re read my post because i said nothing about DMCH. I said "does this
mean they are going to recognize the DML and Delorean other clubs that
are not part of the DOA?"

Mark V

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:16:19 -0000
From: "mrvic20" <faycraig.newton_at_dml_virgin.net>
Subject: windscreen wiper motor

Hi All

Can anyone give me the easiest way of changing the windscreen wiper
motor...any help appreciated

many thanks

Craig VIN 6723

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:13:46 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Somehow you do not have the starter wired up correctly. The W/R wire
should make the starter run all by itself without the need to ground
any other wires. You may not have the correct solenoid or somehow the
wiring to the starter has been modified. You need to get the wiring
diaghram and go over the starter wiring circuit, the cold start valve
wiring, the neutral start relay, and the primary ignition starter
bypass wiring. Start by checking for power on the W/R wire when you
move the key to the start position. If you do have power at the
starter then the solenoid is not being grounded properly. It should
not have to be grounded through the cold start system.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> Ok, So I have a had a bad cold start problem for a while that hs
gotten worse.  THe battery is great, and the starter cranks like a
champ (just replaced both starter and solenoid) but it will not turn
over unless I ground one of the wires to the thermal time switch.  (If
Ie been removed]

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 02:47:42 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Try jumping the cold start valve with the CPR wiring -- grey plug
(just like a hot start problem). If the engine starts, you've either
got a problem in the wiring to the thermal time switch, or your new
thermal time switch is bad, or the water pump isn't grounded somehow.
All you're doing in this test is supplying a known good ground via the
CPR circuit.

You do have 12v from the starter solenoid going to the cold start
valve, don't you? (It's the single wire with a bullet quick connect.
Blue/Yellow I think?)

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:37:29 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: Car for Sale in PA - NOT MINE

Located In Souderton, PA
I did a quick inspection of the exterior after hours:
Vin 03162, 1981, 5-speed, grey interior, Center console clock,
grooves - no gas flap in hood, front fender antenna (plugged)
relocated to rear. Does not appear in Knut's chronology OR DOD (yet).
Sign in window says "one owner from Texas, 11,000 miles"
Body panels are straight, frame has some rust.
Located at Moyer Auto Sales 215-721-1060 Asking price $18,000
http://tinyurl.com/bw5d7

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:58:03 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: windscreen wiper motor

I haven't done it but I hear it is pretty hard.
The joke is that they started with the wipers and built the car around it!

You might want to remove the seats first so you can lay on your back
upside down and work on them under the dash.

I don't envy the job.
-VB

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:27:59 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Looks like it is in PAL format to me because it keeps rolling on my
screen. I can play it on my Macintosh computer.

Mark V

On Jun 14, 2005, at 2:41 PM, Cecil Longwisch wrote:

> Mine would not play in my 5 year old  home  DVD player and gave an
> error
> message "unrecognized format" however it works fine in my laptop. My
> laptop
> is a month old so it must recognize the newer format.
>
> It is a really great DVD and having been at Eurofest it made me
> apprrciate
> it even more. Wish my car had been there and wish we had something of
> this
> "professional quality" for our events of the cars, the history, and the
> people. Bob does a good job however I do not think he has the first
> hand
> resources you do of the historical information.
> Thanks Rob for the excellent archive! Keep them coming!!
>

> Cecil Longwisch
> #10663

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 04:50:42 -0000
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DOA and Re: DMCH 2005 Open House

Okay have it your way.  I read your post fine and don't understand
the jab.  I'm a member of the DOA and happen to like it.  I've also
joined local club in my area.  I recognize the DML and other clubs.
As a member, I am the DOA.  So forgive me for missing your point
completely.  I also think it's great that the DOA views us all as
part of the same world.  I don't see the other clubs bending over
backwards to recognize or make mention of the Association in their
publications or briefs unless it's to draw more blood.  Were you
trying to say that the DOA should not have said we are part of the
DeLorean World?  I've only been a member for a few years and like
the changes I've been seeing.  The DOA is hosting Eurofest which
looks like it'll be a heck of an event.  Your comment was classless
and unnecessary.  Taking swings at the Association has become
boring.  You don't like them.  I get it.

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 05:46:52 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: smoke?

if the smoke smells "Sweet", then its antifreeze leaking onto the hot
exhaust and burning away. If not, then it's likely that you're exhaust
gasket is blown and it's just exhaust gasses escaping. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:19:13 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: The DOA

[Moderator note - Some seem not to realize that James Espey has not managed the DML since 1999. This is a VERY old and hopefully stale issue.]

First of all I am against flaming the DOA on the list as I too am hoping the
DOA does a turnaround with the changes in "management". It had become a west
coast "social club" with little technical emphasis and no recent midwest or
east coast representation or events. The number of cars at their events
illustrates their loss in stature.
I recently joined again (after a 5 year lapse) with their recent offer in
hopes that I can help support the change from the inside.
If you or anyone is a relatively new member you may not realize the basis
for the "bad blood" between the DOA and the DML. Without making this a long
email the DOA threatened to sue James Espey and the DML for any statements
posted on the list they did not like. They felt that the list was devaluing
the cars and taking away from their membership.

That is all behind us. The "KING" has left the throne and hopefully the new
one will return the DOA back to the premier DeLorean organization it once
was.
The reason Ken has been so successful with his shows is that he has involved
the whole DeLorean community which is the only way that the DOA will make
the needed change and survive.

Cecil Longwisch
#10663

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:49:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: High Idle

Hi,
I've put about 50 miles on my car since my restoration.  Once thing that is bugging me is it idles around 1500 now.  Before the restore it didn't do that.  I replaced the WUR while doing the restore because I thought that was the cause of my lack of power when cold.  It seems to have fixed that issue.  so the car idles now at 1500RPM.  and sometimes even higher, but then goes back down to 1500.  Any ideas?

Erik

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:04:01 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I assume you know for sure the motor is bad?? I believe it is very
rare for one to fail. What usually fails are one or more the
connections from the wiper relay control box, or the relay, etc. The
ground wire (9 in picture) is especially critical and can become
loose. The shop manual sort of lays it out for you (M:09).

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:59:55 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The DOA has attended many events that they do not sponsor or
participate in. They send officers of the club at the club's expense.
Often in the past they (the DOA) ignored the events or gave them minor
notice. They call us the "Web People" and generally think we are
devalueing Deloreans by making information so easily available. I
personally have no problem with DOA members, it is the leadership (and
it seems only particular persons in the leadership) that most of us
have "issues" with. There have been some changes at DOA so one can
only hope relations can improve between the DOA and the other groups
of Delorean owners.

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:42:40 -0000
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: Brake Upgrades?

Has anyone looked into the possibilty of upgrading the brakes?  I have
tried to find a brembo or performance friction kit that would work,
but haven't found anything.  Has anyone else had any luck?

Thanks
Willie

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:46:59 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Chicago

Well with the conclusion of the Houston Open house (which was great) we  will
begin to promote the Chicago Pheasant Run Show.

The one favor I can ask is that if  you are planning to go to please  reserve
a room in the next week or so.

This sounds like a strange request but we have a block of 200 rooms.   The
corvette show gets the rest.  Due to the arrangements if I book half  the rooms
in my block by the time of this  years corvette show we can get  an additional
20 rooms and I would like to have that.  We are close to the  100 mark but I
am not there yet.   As you all know you will not get  stuck with a room if you
cancel even the day of the show.

We are anticipating 600 attendees at this show and at least 125  DeLoreans.

Check it out at _www.deloreancarshow.com_ (http://www.deloreancarshow.com)

This show will feature the following

A Museum Tribute to John and the Car
A Raffle of another DeLorean
A driving tour of The Chicago West side including Fermi Lab (hope I spelled
that right)
Tech sessions
The worlds largest Delorean DeLorean Vendors gathering and sales
Members of the BTTF cast
Former DeLorean Personnel (TBD)
A line up of cars by VIN
Car show where cars are set up by class
More custom DeLoreans than any other show.
Engine rebuild contest (TBD)
Suspension replacement (TBD)
and more.

Thanks for your support

Ken
DeLorean Car Show
Delorean Car Show Magazine
Deloreancarshow.com

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:52:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Brake Rotor question

While doing the restore I sent an entire set of rotors (front and back) to the sand blaster with all my other parts needing to be sand blasted.  The rotors were good, just really dirty and had a glaze on them.  I didn't get them resurfaced before I put them on thinking that eventually the pads will smooth the rotors out.  While driving you can definately hear the rotors giving off a harsh sound.  The sound goes away when I brake.  How long do you think it will be before the rotors smooth out?

Erik

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:09:48 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: DOA and Re: DMCH 2005 Open House

I was told the DOA got rid of all of the local clubs and dont recognize
them any more, this happened with our club.

I dont have anything against the DOA.

Mark V

On Jun 14, 2005, at 11:50 PM, delowalk wrote:

> Okay have it your way.  I read your post fine and don't understand
> the jab.  I'm a member of the DOA and happen to like it.  I've also
> joined local club in my area.  I recognize the DML and other clubs.
> As a member, I am the DOA.  So forgive me for missing your point
> completely.  I also think it's great that the DOA views us all as
> part of the same world.  I don't see the other clubs bending over
> backwards to recognize or make mention of the Association in their
> publications or briefs unless it's to draw more blood.  Were you
> trying to say that the DOA should not have said we are part of the
> DeLorean World?  I've only been a member for a few years and like
> the changes I've been seeing.  The DOA is hosting Eurofest which
> looks like it'll be a heck of an event.  Your comment was classless
> and unnecessary.  Taking swings at the Association has become
> boring.  You don't like them.  I get it.

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:28:06 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I have analyzed the video, and it is playing at about 25 FPS, and that is
PAL, the native
television format of the UK.
The format for the USA is NTSC at 29.97 FPS "frames per second".

So for those lucky few of you out there who have a modern DVD
player that supports multi-format discs.

I am going to recapture the actual video so that I can convert it
to NTSC so I can watch it on a regular disc instead of from my XBOX.
The thing is, my monitor is a Sony broadcast program monitor and it
also supports every sort of format there is in the world so sometimes
I am watching something that is another format and I don't even know
it because my equipment automaticly converts it.
...but when I try to play it in my regular tv system on the big screen
I am surprised when it doesn't work!

I will see what I can for it, and if Robert Lamrock doesn't mind
I will convert it to WMV and upload it to that place that Marc Levy
told me about on Google.

- VB

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:56:11 -0500
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

When I bought my car a year ago, I received a stack of DeLorean World
back issues with it. They were great, so the first thing I did was
send $70 some odd bucks to the DOA. Yeah, that's spendy for 4
magazines, but, whatever. I'm supporting something good, right?

The magazines I received were, well, how do I put this... They were
different. Not quite what I expected. Now, don't get me wrong. The
naked woman on the cover of the last issue was beautiful, but that's
not quite what I was looking for in a DeLorean magazine. The DOA seems
to think being a DeLorean owner means being a wealthy, "high class"
type. Maybe that's Ed's life, but I don't think the vast majority of
us share it. I don't know about you folks, but I don't own a
Gulfstream, I don't take sexy models skinny dipping in public rivers
in my car (or otherwise), and I don't spend all of my time traveling
because I have a job like the rest of us.

I mean, the whole idea is ridiculous. This isn't a lamborghini club
with a $200k entry fee. For about the price of a cheap sedan, anyone
can officially enter our world. Even a "brand new" DeLorean from DMCH
is less than most people pay for their SUVs and about the price of a
nice minivan or pickup. Yeah, everyone thinks you're filthy rich when
you're driving this car, but that doesn't make it so. DW magazine
simply furthers the delusion, catering to people with a lifestyle very
few (if any) of us live. The magazine's style and manner in which the
club is run is silly given it's audience. Coming out and saying so
isn't "classless"; unless, of course, you fancy yourself one of the
wealthy, "high class" types.

With Ed stepping down, perhaps the DOA will be turned around. If so,
I'll think about joining again. But for now, my membership has expired
effective this month and I'm not renewing until I actually see some
changes. $70 isn't a lot of money, but neither is it pocket change and
I'm not going to throw it away so I can pretend to be someone I'm not
the four times a year my magazine arrives. (Besides that, if I wanted
soft porn I'd subscribe to Playboy or one of those import racing
magazines)

-Ryan