From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2683
Date: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 8:59 PM

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

11. DMCH 2005 open house pics uploaded
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Rear Wheel Squeak
From: mrvideosawyer_at_dml_netscape.net

13. Re: Rear Wheel Squeak
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

14. RE: Re: DeLorean Car Show Chicago
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. getting ready to buy a Delorean need help
From: "Terence M. Frewen" <terryfrewen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. wiper motor problem...help pls
From: "mrvic20" <faycraig.newton_at_dml_virgin.net>

17. DOA
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: smoke? (Exhaust Manifold Gasket Fix)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

19. Re: DeLorean Car Show Chicago
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

20. Re: ANPAC collector insurance customer
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. Re: DeLorean Car Show Chicago
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

22. RE: Rear Wheel Squeak
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. Car value .... need your opinions
From: "Ontario DeLorean Owners Club" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>

24. DeLorean Cartoon
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: The DOA
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:26:16 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Rotor question

Use a grinder with 80# sandpaper and put a random, circular pattern on
the rotors. If that does not smooth out the surface have a very light
cut done and then sand. You may also need to very lightly sand the
surface of the pads so everything can wear in again.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> While doing the restore I sent an entire set of rotors (front and
back) to the sand blaster with all my other parts needing to be sand
blasted.  The rotors were good, just really dirty and had a glaze on
them.  I didn't get them resurfaced before I put them on thinking that
eventually the pads will smooth the rotors out.  While driving you can
definately hear the rotors giving off a harsh sound.  The sound goes
away when I brake.  How long do you think it will be before the rotors
smooth out?

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:27:23 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Car Show Chicago

Yep - now that the Chicago (oops Pheasant Run) show is the next "up",
it's a good time to start talking about some of the events to get you
thinking. I've been working locally to set up the driving tour (since
I live here and Ken doesn't).

As Ken mentioned the driving tour will feature the chance to take
tour of Fermi Lab (National Accelerator Laboratory) - the world's
largest highest energy physics laboratory. Kind of the Large Scale
version of Mr Fusion (not exactly but it sounded good). The tour will
drive right through the property, but there will be a more limited
opportunity for a guided tour. http://www.fnal.gov/ . Details later.

But wait there's more!

Another stop on the tour will be the McCormick Estate, which includes
the best military museum I've ever seen, the Army First Division (AKA
the Big Red 1) Museum on the property.

You'll have to decide which of the above you want to see - there
probably isn't time to do both (unless you come back Sunday!).

More info on the tour as it continues to shape up. But we'll save a
surprise or two for the event.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Well with the conclusion of the Houston Open house (which was
great) we  will
> begin to promote the Chicago Pheasant Run Show.
>
> The one favor I can ask is that if  you are planning to go to
please  reserve
> a room in the next week or so.

[snip]

> We are anticipating 600 attendees at this show and at least 125
DeLoreans.

(http://www.deloreancarshow.com)

> This show will feature the following
>
> A driving tour of The Chicago West side including Fermi Lab (hope I
spelled that right)

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:23:22 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: High Idle

Check the throttle cable. It may have been pulled out of the ferrule
on the support by the throttle spool. Make sure the throttle arm is
going all the way back and tripping the idle micro.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've put about 50 miles on my car since my restoration.  Once thing
that is bugging me is it idles around 1500 now.  Before the restore it
didn't do that.  I replaced the WUR while doing the restore because I
thought that was the cause of my lack of power when cold.  It seems to
have fixed that issue.  so the car idles now at 1500RPM.  and
sometimes even higher, but then goes back down to 1500.  Any ideas?

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:31:44 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I've had great luck on rotors that are not too badly scored or warped
with a tool called the "Flex Hone". I've not seen it in stores but
seard on line for "Flex Brake Rotor Hone" and you'll find it at any
number of tool sources for about $40. Just the thing for rusty but
straight rotors, and it doesn't thin them like turning them does.

This leaves a nicely honed finish without grooves or pits.

Dave Swingle

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:30:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Upgrades?

Start with flushing and bleeding the brakes with fresh brake fluid. If
that that doesn't satisfy you then replace the brake hoses with the
steel braided ones. That will give you a stiffer pedal. If that isn't
enough you can get cross-drilled rotors for less fade. A warning, they
are NOISY. You can go with semi-metallic pads for more grip but you
will get fade and wear out the rotors fast. Beyond these things
anything else is going to be expensive.

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:48:50 -0000
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>
Subject: Re: Crossing the USA / Canada border

Hi Guys. I am going to GrandBend and I am also a former Customs
Inspector (12 years) for Canada Customs (I am involved in installing
their computer systems now).

Anyway - to enter Canada (and get back to the US) you need proof of
citizenship (or legal residence). There are only a few documents that
can prove citizenship - passport, immigration documents like a
certificate of naturalization, green card (Alien registration card),
FAA pilots license, etc. A drivers license is only proof that you
passed a driving test. Other documents like a SS card or Voters
registration card are not considered proof as they are not
manufactured with security in mind.

Speaking from experience, Canada is slightly more lenient on
documentation then the US is. If you have any concerns contact your
local Immigration office about what is required to return and you
will have a better idea of what is required to enter Canada too.

Having said that - I live in Niagara Falls and there are literally
millions of visitors that cross the borders here each year. Most of
the concern Canadian officials have is if you have the documentation
to re-enter the US at the end of your visit. Unless you show up with
a moving truck with all your worldly belongings in it, your in as far
as the immigration part goes. Feel free to bring a bottle or a case
of beer (I think ours is better anyway!), but be prepared to declare
anything that you intend on leaving here. Weapons (particularly
firearms) are strictly regulated so leave those at home if you are so
inclined.

I will be leaving early on Saturday morning. If anyone has questions
about crossing the border feel free to give me a call at (905) 374
7789.

Mike Walsh
#17084

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:56:19 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

This probably isn't much help, but I've seen a couple "in the works",
in particular one by Ed Uding (sp?) (second place finisher in the
Houston kart race on Sunday BTW). The hard parts seem to be to find a
vented rotor that fits the DMC hub AND is the right diameter, and then
spacing out the calipers to accomodate a wider (thicker) vented rotor.
The DeLorean rotor seems to be a pretty unique size.

There are quite a few aftermarket pads that will fit in there (check
with all the usual suspects), but they don't make much difference other
than how dirty the wheels get in normal street driving.

Dave Swingle

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:52:12 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Eurofest Teaser DVD

After i watched this video i understood what it was all about...... it
is about getting to Ireland for the Eurofest2006 show and made me so
excited watching it and now i want to go more than ever.

AWESOME DVD, I loved it.

Boy they did an excellent job at making you want to be there and absorb
all things "Delorean".

Cant wait to go.

Mark V

On Jun 15, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Videobob Moseley wrote:

> I have analyzed the video, and it is playing at about 25 FPS, and that
> is
> PAL, the native
> television format of the UK.
> The format for the USA is NTSC at 29.97 FPS "frames per second".
>
> So for those lucky few of you out there who have a modern DVD
> player that supports multi-format discs.
>
> I am going to recapture the actual video so that I can convert it
> to NTSC so I can watch it on a regular disc instead of from my XBOX.
> The thing is, my monitor is a Sony broadcast program monitor and it
> also supports every sort of format there is in the world so sometimes
> I am watching something that is another format and I don't even know
> it because my equipment automaticly converts it.
> ...but when I try to play it in my regular tv system on the big screen
> I am surprised when it doesn't work!
>
> I will see what I can for it, and if Robert Lamrock doesn't mind
> I will convert it to WMV and upload it to that place that Marc Levy
> told me about on Google.

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:01:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Re: smoke?

IF its the exhasut gasket blown is that an expensive fix or will the exhaust manifld gaskets fit it? Is the car still driveable?

stainlessilusion <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net> wrote:if the smoke smells "Sweet", then its antifreeze leaking onto the hot
exhaust and burning away. If not, then it's likely that you're exhaust
gasket is blown and it's just exhaust gasses escaping. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:31:31 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Wheel Squeak

Warren,  I jacked the front end up. The passenger wheel is very hard
to turn while the driver side spins with relative ease.  I took the
wheel off and the brake pads seem held against the rotor.  How do
I "unstick" this or adjust it to make the wheel spin easier when the
brake is off?  Is there something I should lubrucate that is not
easing off when the brakes are released?

I haven't looked at a brake system in years, so please don't talk
too much over my head until I learn the Delorean brake system.

Vin 10944 - 2 month owner

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_u...>

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:35:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMCH 2005 open house pics uploaded

Hello,

My DMCH 2005 Open House Pics have been uploaded and
can now be viewed at

http://fuh-q.org/~dmchoh/?album=christopher_mack

If anyone has any questions regarding the pictures
please
feel free to email me

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:49:48 -0400
From: mrvideosawyer_at_dml_netscape.net

I have posted this before so here goes again.  I had a squeak with my car and everyone said "bearings are out" so I pull the whole thing apart only to find nothing wrong, I even rebuilt the CV joints (since I had it apart). I put the whole thing back together and it still squeaked.  AHHHHHHH..... Then I thought I am going to put the wheels back on and TOURQUE the lug nuts to PROPER foot pounds and "whala" no noise.  All the rear wheel parts are interelated and needs this lug nut compression to be good to go.

Give it a try it is free and quick

Jim Sawyer
vin 4149
"sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com> wrote:

>Warren,  I jacked the front end up. The passenger wheel is very hard
>to turn while the driver side spins with relative ease.  I took the
>wheel off and the brake pads seem held against the rotor.  How do
>I "unstick" this or adjust it to make the wheel spin easier when the
>brake is off?  Is there something I should lubrucate that is not
>easing off when the brakes are released?
>
>I haven't looked at a brake system in years, so please don't talk
>too much over my head until I learn the Delorean brake system.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Paul
>
>Vin 10944 - 2 month owner
>
>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_u...>

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:49:06 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

First, brakes on the Delorean are quite straightforward, even typical of
European brake systems-they're Girling.  'Sticky' calipers can usually
be fixed by rebuilding them.  We have rebuild kits for this.  It's a
relatively simple job.  The only other thing could be the flexible hose
that connects the caliper with the rigid brake lines on the car.  These
are barrier style hoses and can deteriorate in such a manner as to make
them act like a check valve. We have them, too. You'll need to do
something about this pretty soon.  The car probably pulls to the right
as you go down the road.  The RH pads will wear quickly and the heat
from the friction will ruin the rotor.

Don't try this at home, but I used to get the front brake on my 1982 Le
Car to let loose by rapping it with a ball peen hammer.  They weren't
Girling.

Here are the kits and hoses:

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2093&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=136&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren at DMC

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:17:39 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLorean Car Show Chicago

I also live in the Chicago area and have visited both of the sites Dave
mentions. They are both outstanding. The McCormick estate is more popularly
known as "Cantigny Park", and in addition to the 1st Division Museum (which
is as Dave describes - the best I've ever seen) it also features extensive
flower gardens and guided tours of the mansion.

Fermi lab is especially great if you're a science/engineering type. This is
a chance to see your tax dollars at work.

These are two great choices for a driving tour in this area.

Dave's advice is good - you should consider choosing one site to spend most
of your time at. We visited both of these sites on the same day as part of
an attitude adjustment day (day out of the office) with the group of
engineers I work with. We managed to fit both of them in along with a lunch
stop, but we had to kind of rush through Cantigny and saw the 1st Division
Museum, but not the house or gardens.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:43:04 -0000
From: "Terence M. Frewen" <terryfrewen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: getting ready to buy a Delorean need help

I am getting ready to make an offer on a Delorean. It has been stored
for several years and has less than 9,900 miles.  Body is great
interior is Good.  Seller is asking $14,000  Is that a good buy?  My
wife says it's too much.  What does everyone else think?  Thank you
for the input and I hope to post many more messages as my new Delorean
ownership begins.

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:02:29 -0000
From: "mrvic20" <faycraig.newton_at_dml_virgin.net>
Subject: wiper motor problem...help pls

HI

Thanks for the resposes to my wiper problem...i did not mention in my
earlier
post that the wipers were working on both speeds but v slow.  too slow
for the
wipers to move when on the screen when they were pulled away from the
glass
they worked but slow.  I assumed the motor was burnt out/damaged so
bought a dmch
one.  I now get the feeling that this MIGHT not be needed.  Please
help...does this sound familiar...what should i do?

Any help appreciated

Craig Vin 6723

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:19:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DOA

AT THE CLUB'S EXPENSE?!

Now we know why the membership fees are high.

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:45:47 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: smoke? (Exhaust Manifold Gasket Fix)

The word you're looking for is "AGGRAVATING" fix. PRV manifolds are
held with hardware almost 50% smaller than traditional exhaust
manifolds. Are very easy to snap off. In fact, every fastener
throughout the whole exhaust system tends to rust solid (so much for
our "rust proof" little cars...). It's a colossal pain, but I
recommend methodically replacing them all with stainless. You only
have to do that once -- future removals will be easy.

I personally recommend splitting the nuts off and leaving the factory
studs in place. Risk of snapping them is too great. 7mm stainless nuts
are still available from Fastenal (I think John Hervey sells them
too). Use a die to clean the threads up.

Don't know about DeLo PRV's, but my replacement engine came with a
bolt holding the dipstick tube/exhaust manifold. I did replace it with
a long carbon stud/stainless nut & washer like all the others (simply
cut the head off an extra long 7mm).

There is one bright spot -- because the muffler is stainless, it won't
be rusted to the catalytic converter (guillotine clamp will probably
snap, but they're only $2 at any parts house. $6-10 for stainless.

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:28:21 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Am I the only one that wants to test out Pheasant Run's golf course?!??
I've got a whole year to practice!

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:28:15 -0600
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: ANPAC collector insurance customer

Cecil:
Thanks for the ANPAC lead.   I had been covered with American
Collectors but didn't really like their restrictions.

I Have gotten a quote from ANPAC for my Delorean $266.00 for 6 months,
my mercedes E320 was higher!... it is $484.00 for 6 months!...

and mileage allowable is 10000 miles a year..

Agents also seem very very helpful.

Rodney
vin3300

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:50:02 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

DCS 2006 PLUS

This looked like as good as an opportunity as possible to chime in
and elaborate on the "But wait there's more!" quote from Dave.

As Dave and Ken mentioned, the Pheasant Run (Chicago area) event is
the next big event (in the US) and since it also happens to be the
25th Anniversary of the DeLorean, many of us in the DeLorean Midwest
Connection club would like to include as many activities as possible
during the days leading up to the DCS 2006 event, so it is important
to start thinking about getting here several days early.

Keep in mind that the "other activities" some DMC club members are
planning are more DeLorean specific and less "family friendly" than
some of Ken's activities, so if you decide to attend our activities,
you may need to make other plans to keep your family busy/happy.

Since the Corvette show will be setting up earlier in the week at
Pheasant Run, we may or may not have our activities at the resort,
but we will have a better idea once we check out how things are
going this year, before and during the Corvette event this year.

In no way does our "other activities" intend to compete with Ken's
show, rather it is meant to enhance the over-all 25th Anniversary
experience, especially for those who are already traveling a very
long distance.  We have Ken's blessing, so we are running with it.

Possible activities include:

- half day or full day seminars and Q&A sessions with a few technical
engineers who worked for the DMC company in the early days and drove
around the country (in the engineering cars) training the dealers on
the proper ways to perform the recalls and other maintenance.

- a half day visit to the Volo Auto Museum to view the anticipated
new full-time display honoring John Z. DeLorean and his automotive
accomplishments.  The local DMC club is assisting the museum with
the items to be displayed regarding the DeLorean car and company.

- visit the Midwest Monster Garage.  (if its OK with Dave Swingle)
- visit Pearce Design Components  (if its OK with Bryan and Reg)

- track day(s) at one or more local venues, most likely to include
a road course setup and an autocross style "handling" race circuit.

- (after DCS 2006) early Sunday morning driving caravan to downtown
Chicago to cruise up and down Lake Shore Drive and make a stop at
the new Millenium Park (featuring many stainless steel structures),
with a more casual and slow pace drive returning to Pheasant Run.

The challenge is how to coordinate all of these other activities
and still be able to attend EuroFest 2006.  Who needs sleep anyway?

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:17:43 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Jim, Squeak can be caused by the rotors being out of alignment so as the
rotor is turning the pads are going in and out a small amount and the metal
plate the pads are mounted on are rubbing the pins. Sometimes a small amount
of CV pads anti squeak will stop it. If that doesn't then email back. I have
all the parts you need if you can't get it locally. Unless the caliper
pistons are not moving or the seals are bad then they don't need rebuilding.
The internal piston doesn't squeak.

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:29:55 -0400
From: "Ontario DeLorean Owners Club" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>
Subject: Car value .... need your opinions

I am looking at purchasing a damaged DeLorean., it could be a BIG project
car, or a GOOD parts car.

Personally I would like to keep it over the years and a big long project
car.. Here is the low down:

THE BAD

The car has been sitting for approximately 5 years.

It is missing the hood and driver front fender.

The rear louvers are missing

The rear window is smashed

There is a softball sized hole in the driver floor where the car crashed
over a curb

As a result of this crash, the clutch pedal is bent into the brake pedal

And the frame where the front tow hook has slight damage from the crash

THE GOOD

The rest of the body panels appear to be in fair condition (some dents here
and there)

The car is 90% complete (missing small odds and ends in the interior, the
intake from the engine, etc.)

I will try to post some pictures if I can.

Overall I am just trying to get an idea of a price ceiling and floor to
offer when and if purchasing this car.

As always, your help and opinions are much appreciated!

email - ken_at_dml_odoc.ca

web - www.odoc.ca

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:45:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean Cartoon

Hello,

I found a creative DeLorean cartoon on the net a few
days ago worth looking at.

Here is the link

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/jack_ohman/index.ssf?ohman

you will need to select "this weeks cartoons" under
March 24, 2005

the DeLorean cartoon is the second one

If anyone hhas trouble viewing the cartoon, email me
and let me know

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:27:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: The DOA

>> That is all behind us. The "KING" has left the
>> throne and hopefully the
>> new
>> one will return the DOA back to the premier
>> DeLorean organization it
>> once
>> was

Long live King Ken K!