From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2685
Date: Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:57 PM

1. Re: getting ready to buy a Delorean need help
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: DeLorean Car Show Chicago (no golf?)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

3. Re: What kind of lubricant should be used on door latches?
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

4. Re: Manifold Vacuum Question
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>

5. Re: What kind of lubricant should be used on door latches?
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Manifold Vacuum Question
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>

7. DMCH Open House
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>

8. Re: getting ready to buy a Delorean need help
From: Terry Frewen <terryfrewen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Chevy V-8 Swap
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: DMCH 2005 open house pics uploaded
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. DeLorean #3714 _at_dml_ Southern Auto Auction
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

12. Re: getting ready to buy a Delorean need help
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Chevy V-8 Swap
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

14. Re: DeLorean Car Show Chicago (no golf?)
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

15. Re: getting ready to buy a Delorean need help
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

16. RE: Manifold Vacuum Question
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

17. RE: What kind of lubricant should be used on door latches?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Re: DMCH 2005 open house pics uploaded
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Need DMCH photos
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

20. Richard's Journey to Santa Barbara, CA
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: DMCH OH 05 PHOTOS - Who's Georgia car?
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: smoke? (Exhaust Manifold Gasket Fix)
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

23. Re: getting ready to buy a Delorean need help
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Re: Car value .... need your opinions
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: Digest Number 2677
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:22:50 -0500
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: getting ready to buy a Delorean need help

Actually, I haven't replaced all that much yet. I haven't even touched
the engine or the fuel system, both of which are major points on the
car and spendy to repair if there are problems. Yeah, the list is long
and the amount of money spent seems high, but all in all I've only
scratched the surface of the problems a 24 year old DeLorean can have.
Like I said, I bought a nice one owner car that had been driven more
than once a month, and taken relatively good care of. If you get
yourself into a real basket case you could easily replace four times
this many parts at four times the cost.

And real basket cases can be hard to identify if you don't know where
to look. As I said, they all have a beautiful exterior, decent
interior, and low miles. This is what most people look at before
making a purchase of a car, but it's not really indicative of anything
on a 24 year old DeLorean that's been stored.

Anyway, best of luck. We're all here for you so when you run into
problems - and you will - the people here will help you out. If you're
willing and capable of doing your own work you'll be way ahead of the
curve. Also, so long as you aren't living paycheck to paycheck and
financing the car, you'll be just fine. If you can afford random $200
- $800 hits every few months for a couple of years to replace the old
components as they fail, it will be smooth sailing. But if you're
going to finance most or all of the car, and if you don't have some
reasonable amount of monthly disposable income, I'd suggest you wait
so your dream doesn't turn into a nightmare.

And make sure you have alternate transportation if you're planning on
driving it daily. From time to time you'll need to park it while you
wait for parts to arrive, etc. My DeLorean is in my garage with the
transmission on the floor right now. Took it out last weekend; I'll
have it back together next week and be on the road again, but if it's
your only way to get to work that would be a problem.

-Ryan

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:21:11 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Car Show Chicago (no golf?)

Gus and others,

After attending one of the early planning meetings with the Corvette
folks at Pheasant Run (when Ken K. got snowed in), my understanding
is that the Corvette folks will have the golf course(s) for the whole
week before and during the show, to setup and display the Corvettes.

Ken K. or Dave Swingle can chime in hear if they know specifically
about public access to the courses, but I thought the Corvette folks
bought it for the whole week, plus their setup and take-down time.
However, there is other great golf in the area, including Cantigny.

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:31:09 -0400
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: What kind of lubricant should be used on door latches?

I think it's been said before, WD40 is not a lubricant. Use chassis grease
or white lithium grease on the door latches. Make sure you wipe off any
extra that may end up on the pins so you don't end up wiping it off with
your butt.

Dave Sontos
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:33:48 -0000
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>
Subject: Re: Manifold Vacuum Question

Bill, Thanks for the reply.  What I have is a 1980 B28 that has been
put into a 1978 262C.  It currently has the 004 CPR and the vacuum
delay/retard with two ports on the distributor vacuum diaphragm.
I've got a 038 and a 018 CPR ($10.00 new in the box,thank you UK
EBay).  Since I have the 004 and no other full throttle enrichment,
I'm considering putting on the 018 and wanted to hook it up to the
correct vacuum source.  With the 2 barb distributor vacuum diaphragm,
which barb should I hook up to manifold vacuum if I want to bypass
the vacuum delay solenoid?  What is the purpose of the delay solenoid
(emmisions?)and what will bypassing it affect?  I'm also looking into
adding the full throttle enrichment switch onto the throttle pulley
bracket and run the grounding circuit to terminal 11 of the ECU.  Do
you think the 018 CPR and the throttle enrichment switch are over-
kill when combined?  What is the definition of ported vacuum?  Can I
hook up the CPR to one of the vacuum ports on the intake runner?
Thanks again for your help, Rick

so> Series 018, 029, and 038 all have much simpler full throttle
> enrichment. Full vacuum simply runs from the manifold straight to a
> barb on the top.
>
> K Jetronic PRV's do have ported vacuum barbs under the throttle
> plates. You wouldn't want to use them for the CPR, but could run a
> line straight to the ignition distributor if you wanted to get rid
of
> the cutoff solenoid (that's how Volvo did it, albeit with some
unusual
> Rube Goldbergness prior to 1980 -- emissions. After 1980 it's just a
> single line straight to the distributor). If you've got both a
Series

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:37:12 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I was told some of that white lithium grease or you could use some Poly
Lube 250 found at www.specialtauto.com.  I was told it is pretty good.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:37:04 -0000
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>

John, As always, thanks for your help!  The CPR I'm contemplating
putting on is a 018 and only has one vacuum fitting on it.

> Rick, How to hook it up is on my web site under engine, #2 page.
> John Hervey
> http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/engine-2.html

Behalf

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:26:46 -0000
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>
Subject: DMCH Open House

Did anyone happen to get the specs for the camshafts that DMCH are
using in their upgrade?  Any info on the header specs?

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:34:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Terry Frewen <terryfrewen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

It is actually at the shop right now.  I plan on talking to the mechanic to see what he did when they towed it out of storage.  Yeah, I thought about the boss deal as well.

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:55:07 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Chevy V-8 Swap

Hi all!  I noticed pictures of an engine swap for a 350 Chevy V-8 on Tamir's
site.  http://entermyworld.com/custom/index.html.  Does anyone know who's
car that is, and where I could contact him at?  Is he a member of the list?  I just
want to know some of the details regarding this particular type of swap.
Cheers,
Corey

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:58:30 -0400
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH 2005 open house pics uploaded

To cast a vote, I'd rather get more material, lower res. It's not the money,
I would gladly pay $20.00 for the two DVD, high quality full set. It's that
I'd rather you crammed to get the best, relevent conference info into one
DVD as opposed to putting anything you could find in your footage to fill up
the two. If that's what you have (2 DVDs worth of material from the
presenters of the Open House, the prototype, everyone's cars, and of DMC
Houston itself) then I would change my vote to the two DVD set. So I guess
my question to you is do you have enough good material for two full length
DVDs (please, no kilt footage>>:)

Dom

[incredibly long quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:57:34 -0400
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: DeLorean #3714 _at_dml_ Southern Auto Auction

Hello Everyone:

My brother went to an auto auction with a friend of his in Flordia and saw a DeLorean there.  It ran well and was in good condition.  It is an automatic.  He could not find out anything about it.  Does anyone know the history of this car?

Thanks,

Jay

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:08:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Best thing to do is have someone familiar with
DeLoreans to look at it for you.

If you tell us where you are, There will likely be
someone close by to help you.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:44:47 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Chevy V-8 Swap

That would be Kyle Franklins creation.  He has a nice writeup in the
current issue of Gullwing Magazine (plug, plug) and I believe Ken K
has something planned for this car at the Chicago '06 show.

Ron
#1529... Yellow
#6322... Stainless

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:56:42 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Thanks, Rich.  I'm guessing that they will not let me play through, even
though golf balls should bounce off of the Corvettes' fiberglass quite
nicely.  Besides, it looks like Ken (and everyone else in the greater
Chicago area) have more DeLorean-based events planned than I could
possibly attend.

I'm just getting a sinking feeling that I will return from Chicago
absolutely *HATING* Corvettes, if for no other reason than their sheer
numbers.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Sent by: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
06/16/2005 02:21 PM
Please respond to
dmcnews

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
cc

Subject
[DML] Re: DeLorean Car Show Chicago (no golf?)

Gus and others,

> After attending one of the early planning meetings with the Corvette
> folks at Pheasant Run (when Ken K. got snowed in), my understanding
> is that the Corvette folks will have the golf course(s) for the whole
> week before and during the show, to setup and display the Corvettes.
>
> Ken K. or Dave Swingle can chime in hear if they know specifically
> about public access to the courses, but I thought the Corvette folks
> bought it for the whole week, plus their setup and take-down time.
> However, there is other great golf in the area, including Cantigny.
>
> Later,
> Rich W.

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:19:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Terry,

Also check to see if any damage was caused by the tow.  These cars to NOT tow well.  Check especially for bent control arms and ripped off / bent tow hooks, air dam damage, etc.  See what we mean about knowledge of the car?  In my opinion, any time spent with anyone not familiar with the DeLorean is dangerous and expensive.  You'll learn a lot in a hurry once you've got a car under your wing (whether it's this one or another).

Ryan Wright is "wright" as usual.  (Sorry, I couldn't resist the irony)

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 ---> still looking for suggestions on that A/C problem

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:39:25 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Are you hooking it up to a Delorean.

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:45:41 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Like Dave said:
WD40 is a good cleaner and starts lawn mowers real good. If you want to
lubricate hinges, torsion bars and other things you can't get grease into ,
then use the Poly 250 is on the web site. It comes out like WD40 but sets up
quickly to a high / low temp grease. It also doesn't wash off at the carwash
for a long time and coats against against rust.

.

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:30:35 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Thanks, noted.
I am working on it right now and I hope to have it ready to go in a few
days.
Once I get everything finished and string it together I will figure out how
long the whole thing is.
I really want to try to fit it onto one discs, but it is looking like it
will be on two discs.
I have the warehouse tour, the tech tour, Bill Collins and all the
coverage of the Proto-1 and verious interviews.
..I will let everyone know soon!
- Videobob

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 01:27:29 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Need DMCH photos

Hi all - since I got a bit wrapped up in everything, I did not get to
take any good photos of the Concours setup at Houston. I'm looking for
a couple of good photos to put up on the milleniumconcours.com website.
Specifically - a shot of all 4 cars together, and a shot of the winner
being handed a trophy. Photo credit willingly given.

Dave Swingle
swingle(AT)dmcnews.com

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 01:45:11 -0000
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Richard's Journey to Santa Barbara, CA

I did'nt get Richard's last name, but he was the owner of the
remanufactured Delroean that was unveiled at the DMCH open house last
week.  It was the grey/auto that they had on the lift occasionally
where one could practically eat off the frame.
I met him and his co-pilot Randy, and was wondering if they were on
this list.   I was curious to know how their 1,600+ mile trip went
back to CA and if they had any interesting stories along the way.

Christian Jarzab
Phx, AZ

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:55:35 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH OH 05 PHOTOS - Who's Georgia car?

In the 7th photo down at the page listed below, there is a Georgia
car with license plate "something 91 RYH" (can't see the first
character). I can't make out what county it's from, so does anyone
here know who's car it is?

Thanks,

-Derek L
VIN 5302

--- In DMCForum_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...>

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:25:28 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: smoke? (Exhaust Manifold Gasket Fix)

I apologize for not keeping up with this post, I'm currently in
California for a week finding an apartment. Obviously you've already
gotten the answer-the gasket can be fixed but removing the manifold is
quite a pain if it has been a long time. Upon reassembly, use new
studs and lots of anti-seize compound so incase you have a problem
again, disassembly will be easy to an extent (still is a pain to do
the work). If your manifolds are no good for some reason, I believe I
have a used pair sitting on the shelf...----Dani B. #5003

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:32:52 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Questions?
If the car runs, the body is in good shape, the brakes work, the
interior is fair.. That is an OK buy.
If the car does not start it is a bad buy because the years do funny
things to cars regardless of how a car is stored. Running a car
regularly lubricates many things.  If it didn't have problems before
it was stored, it is liable to have them now.
If the car is non-running but startable by putting gas in the fuel
distributor, it might be worth $8000.00 if everything else looks
nearly perfect.  Just one more opinion for ya.  I've been down that
whole road.
DEFUNK
4984

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Terence M. Frewen" <terryfrewen_at_dml_y...>
wrote:
> I am getting ready to make an offer on a Delorean. It has been
stored
> for several years and has less than 9,900 miles.  Body is great
> interior is Good.  Seller is asking $14,000  Is that a good buy?  My
> wife says it's too much.  What does everyone else think?  Thank you
> for the input and I hope to post many more messages as my new
Delorean

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:36:56 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Car value .... need your opinions

Another opinion.
I'd add up the cost of the good body parts, Assume the engine is
junk.  Subtract the labor cost of removing the good parts and
transporting the vehicle.
That would be my offer.
DEFUNK
4984
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ontario DeLorean Owners Club"

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:42:29 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 2677

This story I will not forget.. When I restored my Delorean and had
the underplate powder coated I drove the car for several weeks
without the cover in place...  I remember the belly bulging down
when the tank was full but I can count my blessings. It never fell
out.  Thank you for that story and to all who didn't know, a lesson
well learned. I might have done it again sometime.
Dale Funk
4984

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_p...> wrote:
> Thanks, Joe O'Brien for bringing up that touchy gas tank story
again.

> So I made a mistake and drove the car with the bottom gas tank
plate off &
> the bloody thing fell out. It was never mentioned not to drive
with it off,
> on this list anyway, and this list is the bible of correctness,
when it
> comes to DeLoreans. Glad the gas tank was made of poly. Gas
mileage sure was
> lousy on my ride home When it hit the road, it wore a hole on a
corner, and
> leaked gas for miles. It was easy to find my place!
>
> Has no one else done something dumb with their car? Am I the only
> sacrificial lamb?
>
> This could be the start of a new thread!
>
> Marv.
> # 17077
> marv_at_dml_p...

[moderator snip]