From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2692
Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 5:27 PM

1. Clutch Fluid - Dot 4
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

2. Re: DeLorean Owners Association
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>

3. DOA
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Steering Column Bushing - tricks?
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Daily driver insurance - What company do you have?
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: Moo-ing Noise
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

7. Grand Bend DeLorean meet
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

8. Re: Oil residue pooling behind foot pedals
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

9. Delorean World Magazine Back Issues
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

10. Re: Moo-ing Noise
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Need some info!
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: Passenger Mirror
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

13. RE: Re: Steering Column Bushing - tricks?
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Clutch Fluid - Dot 4
From: George DeLorean <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Moo-ing Noise
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. Re: Oil residue pooling behind foot pedals
From: "JSJB100" <jsjb100_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Vacuum Routing Diagram for Climate Control System?
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>

18. Easily Installed Fixed Door Glass
From: "thomasttait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

19. Re: DOA
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Clutch Fluid - Dot 4
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Re: Oil residue pooling behind foot pedals
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:01:51 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Clutch Fluid - Dot 4

I just ordered a clutch master cylinder and stainless clutch line. I
was an an auto parts store (CAP) recently and didn't specifically see
DOT 4 fluid.  One had a label that said "exceeds Dot 3 and 4 specs",
but not sure if this is suitable.

Also, any surprises or other parts I might need for this job?  I have
the shop manual, but wasn't sure about any other nuances I need to be
aware of.

How do I drain the clutch fluid and where is the bleed procedure?

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 05:40:30 -0000
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Owners Association

Questions addressed for Ron and Cecil,

In the past there has been several Association events in the Midwest and the South
including St. Louis and Nashville.  Las Vegas has been frequented simply by demand of
owners across the States and Europe.  You can see a listing of all past event locations by
going to this link;  http://www.delorean-owners.org/events/index.html

Board members have primarily been based in California but since the advent of
telecommunications, internet and ease of communication, that is not the case anymore.
For example, our editor for dw magazine who is an active association member is based on
the east coast while our art director is based in California.

Like many car shows, the Koncelik event is attended by Association members as well as
board members in the past.  We rely on stories submitted by Association members across
the globe to our dw publication. If someone does attend an event or would like to submit a
story, we can now receive stories online along with photos directly to our magazine
website.  http://www.deloreanmagazine.com

You can personally email myself or the editor of dw magazine on our website for any
immediate questions you may have in the future.

Kind regards,

Tony Hilger
DeLorean Owners Association-vice president
dw magazine-director

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 04:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DOA

Sounds like the DOA is sending out an olive branch
folks.  It's great to see a V.P. of the DOA post here.
 I think this is a great step towards mending some
fences.  Let's all take a step back and let this
relationship blend.

Tom Watkins

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:32:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Column Bushing - tricks?

DMCHouston's bushing comes with instructions and a great tip. They have you
purchase washers, nut & bolt from a local hardware store & using a large socket
(to fit over the bushing) and then you simply tighten the bolt and it squeezes
the bushing in place. This is much easier than the hammer & socket method (ask me
how I know). You also don't have to take out the knee pads or steering column,
just push the lower column into the upper to make room.

Do make sure you rat-tail file or power drill grind the inside of the bushing so
the lower column moves freely inside. Other wise it won't be smooth steering, on
the highway it will grab & jerk ever so slightly and annoy the snot out of you
(again, ask me how I know this ;-)

Shannon Y
16506

---------
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:58:17 -0000
   From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

>>snip<<

Either pull the new one in (with a home made puller) or drive it in
with a big hammer and a socket
--take a rat-tail file and enlarge the hole in the bushing slightly in
the downward direction from the inside of the car
>>snip<<

Yahoo! Mail

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:04:28 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Daily driver insurance - What company do you have?

Actually, Marty, I'd appreciate hearing about this issue again. Every
time it comes up new people come out of the woodwork with a comment or
two, and since my DeLorean is a daily driver & I'm looking for new
insurance, I'd like to see the responses.

Derek: I am with State Farm. They're OK, prices aren't terrible, but I
have serious concerns about their willingness to completely screw me
if I have a major claim.

-Ryan

On 6/20/05, dgrozio <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net> wrote:
> (Moderators note: We've done the car insurance thing over and over before. If anyone has any info they can help Derek with, please send it directly to him and not the list. Marty, this weeks moderator)
>

> Hello all,
> I have been searching for a car for the past month, and as I have found a few cars as of late that I have been interested in, I have started checking with insurance companies on price quotes. I have searched the list for insurance questions, and have heard a bunch of positive as well as negative comments regarding state farm.
 Could any daily drivers out there please let me know what insurance companies you have?

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:09:23 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Moo-ing Noise

> Any opinions?  Fuel or fan?

I think someone is playing a joke on you. Check for a cow under the
hood, near the spare tire. Once you remove him, the mooing will stop.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;-)

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:20:33 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Grand Bend DeLorean meet

I discovered too late that there would be 100's of car shows all over the USA and Canada on the Father's Day weekend.

Regardless, many thanks to the 20 "D" lovers who showed up. There were 8 cars, but should have been at least 11. Mechanical, insurance and a fender bender prevented 3 cars from coming. The fender bender couple prefer to remain anonymous. They were not hurt. However, the other 4 people did show up, in other vehicles.

Weather, accommodations, food, bikinis, the cruise, etc., as promised, was good. Some people just won't believe I have connections!

Crowds loved looking at the cars, getting their french fries fingers on the stainless steel finish, trying out the seats, and having their picture taken, with the DeLoreans. A guy even thought the "Bricklin" was cool in the movie - Back to the Future! He was blonde!

Those owners, lurkers, and wannabes who never attend these meets, need their heads read! Great times are had, meeting super people, and talking DeLorean.

Marv. Stein
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:38:54 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Oil residue pooling behind foot pedals

Thanks Dave,

Next question.  I keep hearing how bad it is to bleed the clutch
system.  Is the procedure in the repair manual?  Also, is it worth
getting a bleeder type screw/kit as I have seen from a vendor?  How
hard is it to reach the fitting to bleed?

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:43:33 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Delorean World Magazine Back Issues

I was thinking about joining the Delorean Owners Association, and
mainly to get access to the magazine back issues.  If the offer and
magazines are still available, are the articles in the back issues
worth the cost to join for three years up front?

I only have about ten issues from the previous owner, but have relied
on several articles already (ASI radio operation, front brake
maintenance, fuel boot replacement, etc.)  Are most of the "need to
know" maintenance and service issues included in the back issues?

Alsol, how does Gull Wing and Delorean magazine compare.  I am mostly
interested in technical articles to maintain my car.

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:54:19 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Johnny,

As you know from the az-d list, I lost a fuel pump (and almost a
second one) here in Vegas when the temps got over 100 and I ran
below 1/2 tank.  The first pump gave no warning but the second one
mooed like a whole herd until it finally stopped pumping
completely.  Once it cooled down, it ran fine again.  So I'm pretty
sure your mooing noise is the pump itself.

The stories about the radiator fans blowing super-hot air over the
fuel tank are true and John Hervey's fuel tank heat shield really
works.  Prior to installing the shield, temperatures at the tank
reflected the temps I saw on the coolant gauge. I have not seen fuel
tank temps over 122 degrees since installing the shield (I have a
temp probe on top of the tank now) and the cows have all gone home.

Most important, my car runs like a real car again!

Marv
#10820

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "thebrave65" <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_g...>
wrote:
> Not too long ago, my fuel pump got rather hot on a road trip here
in AZ and began it's noisy complaining.

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:56:04 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Need some info!

Hi all.  I am doing some homework for my automotive class, and desided
do do it on my DeLorean.  I need some information about the car that I
either don't know, or can't find.  If anyone out there can answer any
of this, please let me know.
What is the PRV-6's firing order?
The base timing?
Temperature thermostat opens?
Radiator cap pressure?
How do you evaluate the condition of the engine using a compression
test?
How to disable the ignition system?
How to disable the fuel delivery system?
If anyone can answer any of this, thanks.
Cheers,
Corey

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:18:25 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Passenger Mirror

First look at the bottom of the mirror switch for disconnected or
shorted wires.  We sell lots more mirror switches than mirrors.
If you need one, give me a call.
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=1292&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren at DMC
800 872 3621

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:21:01 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Steering Column Bushing - tricks?

Does this mean that the bushing is actually not quite the right size? If so,
can a production change be made so that future bushings don't need to be
modified to work correctly?

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:14:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: George DeLorean <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Fluid - Dot 4

Paul,
     as for DOT 4 fluid, Wal Mart typically sells it.
Sometimes it is synthetic, sometimes it is regular.

                        George D.

Where will you end up?  In Shangri-La, or Hell's Pit???

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:24:57 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

Okay Ryan.  I'll check for the cow.  Free milk for all who attend the
cow removal seminar!

Johnny
5518

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:36:34 -0000
From: "JSJB100" <jsjb100_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Paul

Since Dave and Marty M. just gave me lots of email advice on how to
bleed the clutch, I can tell you a couple of things. 1) take off the
engine cover to get at the bleeder valve (not the louvers, the
engine cover), 2) stand or kneel up on the engine to reach the
valve; 3) the valve is almost center at the back of the engine 4)
not hard to get a small wrench on it and 5) put a clear hose on the
bleeder (I believe 1/4 inch internal diameter) to drain the fluid.
Its a 2 man (or woman) operation, one to pump the clutch, one to
watch the fluid.  I used a syringe and plastic tubing to suck out as
much of the old fluid from the reservoir under the front hood as
possible before bleeding and refilling the reservoir.  Also, I used
castrol GMA brake fluid.

I just got a kit from hervey to make it easier to bleed next time.
Yes, you have to be like "Mr Fantastic" to reach it, or use someone
with small hands!

Dave sent me a pic with the location...I will upload it to Photos if
I can (Dave, is that OK with you?)

Joe B
VIN 2957

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...>

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:45:00 -0000
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Vacuum Routing Diagram for Climate Control System?

Does anyone have a diagram of the Vacuum Line system near the climate
controls?

I was installing my new dash and noticed a line or two that seemed to
just end and had nowhere to connect to...

-Gary Weaver II

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:44:23 -0000
From: "thomasttait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: Easily Installed Fixed Door Glass

Thanks to Knut I was able to get new fixed glass installed in my
drivers door this weekend.

I was having trouble before installation getting the channel, the
seal and the glass to go together prior to installation as a dry
fit.  Knut's suggestion fo the proper tools helped greatly.  I
wanted to share a few more tips and pass on the experience.

In order to get the channel, glass and seal all assembled together
Knut suggested a small jewelers screwdrive.  What I came up with was
a lovely set of tools for sculpting/modeling clay from the local art
supply store.  Flat blades, thin, triangular and curved - a lovely
assortment for a few bucks.  The one that worked out the best was a
crescent shaped blade with a concave bend inward - kinda like a baby
spoon that had most of it filed away on the sides leafing only a
sliver at the center.

I opted to install the channel onto the glass before putting the
glass into the car.  I first put silicon adhesive inside the rubber
seal and laid that onto the glass.  More silicon into the channel.
Then starting at the rear of the glass I pushed down on the sides of
the rubber seal forcing it slightly off the glass, but down into the
channel.  With all the silicon acting like a lubricant before it set
it slid easily and with just slight compression the glass would
fully reseat into the seal, with the seal now bottomed out in the
channel.  Working toward the front of the glass it was all together
in less than two minutes, on the third try.  Its not tough at all it
just took a littel persistance and practice - things were more
slippery with silicon in the equation.  I taped it all up and let
that cure overnight.

The glass going into the door couldn't have been easier.  I Rotated
several of the metal clips 90 degrees so the glass could slip in
easily.  I installed the black adhesive to the inside of the door
and then put the glass in place.  The car was parked with heavy duty
shelving about 3' away from the door, so I then used 3 bungee cords
to hold the glass in rough position.  Inside the car I engaged all
the clips.  I then out a pre cut spacer in between the bottom of the
glass and the top of the door sill where the moving glass usually
sits.  at 6 7/16" it ensured that the glass was at exactly the same
height within the door opening as the glass on the drivers side.  I
then was able to rivet the tabs on the bottom of the channel to the
door, which told me the channel and the glass were now located
exactly as the previous glass had been.

>From outside the car I was still able to push the glass inward
slightly to lay in a new bead to hold the rubber trim strip in
place.  I laid in the trim strip - taped it up so it couldn't shift -
 allowed the bungees to keep the whole assembly in tension and let
it sit for 24 hours.  The whole process of putting the glass in the
car took about 20 minutes.

5 minutes of cleanup with a razorblade and it looks great.

Thanks again to Knut for pointing me in the right direction.  While
I did also use a razorblade to take a hair off the outside lower
edges of the rubber seal so it could dry fit into the channel, its
clear that once the silicon was in place and helping things lube and
slide that was not neccesary.

Some may be able to point out som no-nos in this proceedure where I
dodged fate doing something stupid, but my results are very good and
the use of the modeling tools and the bungees may be new to the
list, so I thought I'd share.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:13:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DOA

Considering I'm relatively new to the community (only
2 years now), I've heard relatively little in terms of
the "separation of DOA and DML".  Can a moderator or
someone who knows what went down privately email me; I
feel kind of in the dark here as to what all went down
what seems so many years ago.

Jeremiah

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:04:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

For the 1500'th time in the history of the DML..

USE Castrol GT LMA

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:55:42 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Oil residue pooling behind foot pedals

Paul, bleeding the clutch is not as bad as it sounds. Get yourself a
one man bleeder kit from any auto parts store for $10-$20. You have to
reach around behind the engine, above the transmission, and locate the
slave cylinder. It's almost impossible to see, so you'll be working
blind.

Easiest way to do this is to lay on top of the engine. Reach around
with both hands until you find the bleeder screw. Put a small wrench
on the screw, stick the tubing from your bleeder kit onto it, and
loosen the screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Bleed the clutch just like you'd
bleed your brakes. I leave the wrench on the screw the whole time.
Then reach around, tighten it up, and you're done.

It's only a 15 minute job once you know where that slave cylinder actually sits.

Replacing the master cylinder is also very easy. You'll need a helper
for the mounting bolts, but all he has to do is hold a screwdriver
while you remove/replace the nuts.

-Ryan