From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2699
Date: Friday, June 24, 2005 5:51 PM

1. Re: Engine Temperature Gauge Sender
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Alternators
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. RE: Clutch Fluid - Dot 4
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

4. Sill Plates
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>

5. New product? The otterstat replacement
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

6. Re: Engine Temperature Gauge Sender
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Oops!!!!
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

8. Re: Engine Temperature Gauge Sender
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Re: hot outside, no start discussion
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Re: Re: Association
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

11. Mystery DMC's in Ontario
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

12. Re: A/C gas types
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

13. Grand Bend DMC Meet
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

14. Re: The DOA and DML (long)
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

15. Replacing door handle.
From: "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Cost to get car into shape.
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Cruise control problems
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

18. Re: disseminating information.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. Re: R12 to R134 Expansion Tube
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: Orifice Tube
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

21. Re: disseminating information.
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:31:11 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Engine Temperature Gauge Sender

Fiddly but not impossible if you have a set of stumpy spanners
(wrenches). Note the locknut for the crimp can get stuck on the shaft
and just spin. Our senders have a spade terminal which solves this as
you can just cut the wire off.

So yes, fiddly, but possible

Martin

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 23:36:34 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Alternators

Group,
Heat brings out the worst in an alternator so I thought I would run a
special if you are thinking that it's about time to move up from the
old tired Motorola or Ducellier to any of my bolt on New Made in
America replacement. D110,,$179.95, D140,,$239.95 or D150,,$259.95.
As most of you know we manufacture these ( brand new ) alternators
ourselves so we can control the quality and I am offering a 2 year
warranty on them unless you have abused it. Heck, I offer just about a
2 year or 5 year on everything. Why not, there good products.
The Special will be an additional 10% off the price on the site. Just
order it and put Internet special in the comment box. I don't need
your old core back, so you can keep it just in case.
Also, keep in mind I ship world wide and you still get the belt and
the DMM free. That's just part of the package.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/alternators.html

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:06:36 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch Fluid - Dot 4

I had an issue w/ Valvoline Synth DOT 3+4 - ruined a MC in about 3 months.
DMCGG put in a replacement and flushed both the brake and clutch system and
I haven't had trouble since.

Darkstar

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:45:33 -0000
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Sill Plates

I wish to purchase stainless Steel sill plates but all I have seen are
the ones that are for the logo area of the sill only.  I'm looking for
one that is the full length of the sill.  Thanks,

Roy  #0893

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:40:45 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: New product? The otterstat replacement

Hello all

I wanted to ask if there would be any interest for a quality replacement for
the otterstat. This is the part that controls when the cooling fans switch
on and then off. It is part number 100816 SWITCH,COOLING FAN.
I am sick of replacing that thing every few years and worrying about it
going bad. From my experience I can say that they fail very often.
I want to make a very high quality replacement solid state switch that will
be adjustable. It would come set to the OEM spec temperature, but would be
adjustable. Anyone would able to change the temperature at which the fans
come on.
The current price for this part from DMC Houston is $19.95. My replacement
would be more expensive than that, but would be solid state (no moving
parts, nothing to break) and would be backed up by lifetime free replacement
warranty. By this I mean that if it ever fails for any reason I will send
you a replacement, no questions asked.... if you decide to run your
electrical system from the house current and this switch fails I will give
you a new one :).
I think that the price should be below $50. This is just an initial
estimate, so don't hold me on this.
If there is enough interest I will start working on it.
Please let me know via private email as not to clutter the DML.

Thank you

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 03:07:55 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The sending unit for the temp gauge is on the front edge of the right
side cylinder head. You can remove the engine cover for easier access.
Why are you trying to remove it? They do not seem to fail often but
the wiring is often the problem. Remove the wire, clean the connection
and try again. It may work. If the trouble is not with the wiring it
is more likely the gauge unit itself is the problem. Try grounding the
sensor wire momentaraly. It should peg the gauge. If it doesn't check
the wiring and then the gauge unit.

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:51:28 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Oops!!!!

Thanks everybody for the words (some not so positive) of encouragement.  I
talked with a nice guy from DMC Houston today and don't think the problem is
as bad as I first thought.  I think my headgasket was partially blown when I
started the test run lastnight.  I then blew it all the way and that's when
the rapid 'overheat' happened.  I've got the engine partially torn down,
working at getting the heads off so that I can take them in for a 'head job'
(hehe) and a valve job (again, hehe).

I'm taking plenty of pics of the whole process.  Will let everyone know how
it turns out.  Also, someone asked how many miles where on the engin.  It
has about 113000K on it.

Thanks again yall,

Lingo, #2034

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 23:24:47 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/23/2005 4:00:41 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jhirkojr_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

Does  anyone have advice on how to get at the sending
unit for the engine  temperature gauge?

Hello,

I have replaced this thing before and IIRC, i was able to get a combination
wrench on it w/o removing any parts except perhaps the air filter box.
Careful though, coolant will come out!

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 23:24:04 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: hot outside, no start discussion

Inertia switch and RPM relay replaced, but same hot-outside-start problem.
I noticed today, when doing the hot-start cable swap and it didn't start,
that the insides of the grey and blue wire connectors were blackened and the
metal prongs on the devices were blue-green with copper corrosion.
Grrr. Moisture has been in there and now I probably have high resistance. I
checked the black connector up top and the white one on the other side, same
thing.
I used a bit of sandpaper on the male side of the connectors, but I have no
idea how to try and clean the plug insides. I suppose lop and re-end? Ideas?

Also, my fans started running with key, regardless of actual coolant/engine
temp or AC setting (off for example). I know when fan's don't come on that
the otterstadt get replaced. But what about when they suddenly don't shut
off? More dirty connections, relays, switches, or breakers? But which?
The original module is bypassed with fuse link wires (still good) and the
relay holder is empty.

-Kevin
#4687 (has been so good to me until lately)

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:40:43 -0400
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Association

If the truth damages an organization..... It was already broken..

The main reason I have never bothered to join the DOA is from everything I
have seen it is pretty useless unless you are in the California area.
Perhaps they should look at turning it into a regional group. Perhaps at one
time the camaraderie and advise they were able to provide was needed. With
the advent of the internet, DML and several other boards (Tamir, etc.) in my
opinion, they no longer serve the original purpose. I wish them the best of
luck but as a Florida owner I think membership dues to the DOA can be much
better spent.

Steven Alves

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:18:01 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Mystery DMC's in Ontario

Is the owner of a DeLorean near Alliston, Ontario on this list?  I saw
it parked in front of a light brown coloured house on Hwy 89 just west
of Alliston. A couple of people have told me there's one in North Bay
as well, and I'm going there in a few weeks. If the owners of these
cars are on the DML, please email me.  Thanks.

Richard Rowe (in Arthur)

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:30:16 +0100
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: A/C gas types

Thank you all for your feedback on the various gas types to use.

I think that I will go for R12 as it will be less of a strain on the
seals...

Thanks for everyones input!

Regards

Chris Hawes
vin 5255 still with some aircon work to go.

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:39:18 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Grand Bend DMC Meet

Just posted 3 pics from last weekend's DeLorean meet in Grand Bend,
Ontario.  Look for "Grand Bend 2005" in the photos section.  More pics
will be added soon.  Thanks to Marvin & Lynn Stein for organizing this
event, and all of you who participated.

Richard Rowe

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:21:03 EDT
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: The DOA and DML (long)

I have to agree with James when he questions the value of the DOA today. I
am not sure exactly what a person could gain by joining that they could not
already obtain through the several vendors, magazines, and local clubs. I  have
been around since the fun and excitement of those years on the DML and it
certainly seems that things are better now for DeLorean owners than they were
when the DOA ruled. Reading the archives, and that letter to James, has reminded
 me of how viscious everything got. I can remember countless other
experiences  related to me about various people being "black balled" by the DOA and (a)
certain vendor(s) associated with it. Like John Hervey and others, I am
concerned about the presence of one of the board members, especially in  reference
to the first sentence of the mission statement. Is it for real, or  does the
DOA protest too much? Honestly, this could be an entirely new DOA that  has no
relation to the DOA of the past other than name and purpose, but
unfortunately only time will tell. I wish you guys that are now organizing it  the best
of luck, you will need it. I hope the olive branch is in earnest and  that the
DeLorean Owners Aristocracy doesn't resurface.

John Weaver
MidSouth DeLorean Motor Club-MSDMC
RED DMC #10527

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:23:14 -0000
From: "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Replacing door handle.

Hey there, I'm the newest member to the club and probably the newest
DeLorean owner since I just got mine the other day (Vin: 4463). In
any
case on my to-do list involves 2 task's on the passenger side door.
1)
to replace the door handle which is partially broken off. 2) get the
window back on its track. I can hear the motor spin when I hit the
button but alas the window doesnt move.

So anyone who has some knowledge on how to do both or either of these
task's sure would be of great help to me.

Thanks a bunch
~ Josh Tidwell
Vin: 4463

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:57:38 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Cost to get car into shape.

Hi guys,
Just a quick question.  I have found a couple of deloreans that are in great
shape inside and out but still have most original stuff on em.  Even the
original tires.  Assuming the fuel system was ok and engine was strong, what
would you say the average cost to get the car in good running order.  My
guess was about $4000 if you took it to say delorean motor center.
Car would need,
Tires, shocks and springs,
Alternator,
Electrical updates,
etc.
Mahalo,
Alex

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:00:16 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Cruise control problems

Your Magnets are probably not evenly spaced.

Mark V

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:05:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: disseminating information.

You are not comparing "apples with apples". In one case you are
talking about sharing club information among it's members and in
another case you are talking about private, intellectual property with
the general public. It would only be through the generosity of the
owner of the private materiel (Steve Wynn) that any outsiders could
have access. Even if James wanted to share information it can only be
done with Steve Wynn's approval. From what I have seen much has
already been shared. It is difficult to say it all has been released
without knowing exactly what there is and what has not yet been
released. Besides, no one is asking for this for free. DMCH and other
venders still sell for profit the Workshop, Parts, and other Manuals.
Sharing is nice but some things are worth money to some people and
DMCH should not be expected to give everything away for free.

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:06:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: R12 to R134 Expansion Tube

Look in the Workshop Manual. One of the special tools looks like an
extractor which is used to remove a broken Orifice Tube.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:
> We are in the process of changing over Mike Lucky's car to R134,
however we
> are unable to get the old R12 expansion tube out of the evaporator.
The end

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:11:13 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Orifice Tube

Hi Mike

Go to your favorite auto parts store and ask for a "broken orifice tube
extractor". Someone had that problem before you and they actually designed a
tool for removing an orifice tube that is stuck or broken.

Then you just screw the extractor into the orifice and pull the pieces of
the tube out. Pretty easy once you have the right tool.

Good luck

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:20:06 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

I remember a year or two ago, James mentioned they found a sheet with all of
the specs for the 1984 model DeLorean and all of the changes such as a radio
mounted up top on the headliner and a light in the ash tray, and numerous other
changes.   James, you said you were going to scan this and put it online, but
I haven't been able to find it yet.   Is this going to happen soon?   Was I
dreaming this up?   :)

-Patrick C.