From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2700
Date: Saturday, June 25, 2005 12:05 PM

1. Re: Sill Plates
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

2. Re: Orifice Tube
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

3. Artwork from Universal's new BTTF 4-Disc DVD Collector's Set (international)
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

4. Temp Gauge Activity
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Replacing door handle.
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

6. Re: Cost to get car into shape.
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

7. RE: Re: Orifice Tube
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

8. RE: R12 to R134 Expansion Tube
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

9. Re: Clutch Fluid - Dot 4
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. RE: Sill Plates
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

11. Re: The DOA and DML
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Cost to get car into shape.
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. RE: Re: Orifice Tube
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

14. DMC Long Range Product Plan and more (long)
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

15. Re: New product? The otterstat replacement
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

16. RE: New product? The otterstat replacement
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

17. Re: hot outside, no start discussion
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

18. Re: Sill Plates
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Re: disseminating information.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Orifice Tube
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

21. Re: Re: Clutch woes
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

22. pistons/liners
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

23. Re: Sill Plates
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

24. DOA
From: "Bernie Manderville" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

25. Re: Cost to get car into shape.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:43:53 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Sill Plates

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> I wish to purchase stainless Steel sill plates but all I have seen are
> the ones that are for the logo area of the sill only.  I'm looking for
> one that is the full length of the sill.  Thanks,
>
> Roy  #0893

Look here:
http://www.pjgrady.com/stainlesspics.asp?pn=9&pt=7

Rich

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:43:39 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Orifice Tube

Worst. Job. Ever.  Orfice tubes never come out in one piece.  Never.
Just stay at it.  Use lots of WD-40 and the thinnest pliars you can
find.  If you want you can use a sharp pick to get some of the orfice
tube guts off the side of the pipe, but be careful not to poke a hole in
the that tube-it's aluminum.  Leaky evaporators are very inconvenient.

I don't think sobriety is necessarily a requirement for this job, but
patience is.

Warren at DMC

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:00:13 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: Artwork from Universal's new BTTF 4-Disc DVD Collector's Set (international)

For those on the list outside of North America who may have not picked
up the BTTF DVD set back in 2002, Universal is issuing a brand new set
this October in all international markets with all the extras included
in the U.S. release.

BTTF.com's exclusive look at the DeLorean-heavy artwork can be found at
http://www.bttf.com/index.php?/weblog/more/exclusive_first_look_at_upcom
ing_bttf_4_disc_collectors_set/

Thanks,

Stephen Clark,
BTTF.com

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:08:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Temp Gauge Activity

Here's one for everyone.

If I drive my car a good bit, and come home, I notice
that sometimes my temp gauge points straight up or
down when shutting the engine off.  If I restart the
car, the gauge needle stays stuck.  I used to be able
to lightly hit the left side of the binnacle, and the
needle would unstick, but now I have to wait for the
car to sit a while, and then it'll just magically
start working when starting the car cold every time.

Is this something in the binnacle that needs to be
cleaned - a connection or a wire somewhere?  With the
new binnacles coming from Houston soon, I'm going to
be replacing my binnacle and installing LEDs in the
dash (minus the battery light), so I figured while I'm
in there I should try to find the source of this
problem.  Could this be the signs indicative of a
failing temp gauge, or just something somewhere that
needs to be fixed/cleaned?  Give me your thoughts
everyone.  Thank you.

Jeremiah

P.S. - Updates to my old posts (from anytime this
year): ordered a new CPR, hazzard lights are now
working, and cooling fans operate normally again.
Thank you all for your help on all these issues.

__________________________________
Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:54:35 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing door handle.

1) Door handles are easy now.  Buy our metal replacement handles singly
or in a kit of two.  One panel, two nuts, one cable
connection/adjustment per door.  This job is now very nearly a piece of
cake.
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=184&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

2) Sound like you need at least one window regulator.  This job is a
more demanding. Our regulators come with instructions and toll-free tech
help.
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2259&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:15:33 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cost to get car into shape.

You could look at it that way, but to be on the safe side, I would at
least double your estimate.  There are way too many unknown factors
that can't been seen until they happen.

I purchased mine in January of '04 for $15,900 and it was in FANTASTIC
condition, (still is).  I have put close to $3,000 into it since I've
had it and only one month last year did I not work on it.

Old cars + old parts == $$$$.

Johnny
5518

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:19:38 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Orifice Tube

We'll we don't need to extract the orifice tube anymore. I had the bright
idea to drill up the middle and pull it out but went a little too far and
drilled into and through the evaporator pipe. Now we can just change the
evaporator. Ugh.

Dave Sontos

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:27:25 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: R12 to R134 Expansion Tube

Hi Dave,

When this happens, and it often does, we have found the safest method is to
use a propane torch to melt the orifice tube. You will need to remove the
heater hoses to keep them from burning but that's a lot easier than
replacing the evaporator. Good luck!

Rob Grady

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:28:51 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Fluid - Dot 4

Well, it's been in my brakes & clutch since I bought the car last year
and flushed/refilled everything. No problems yet. I'd be really
surprised if the fluid was the actual cause of your master cylinder
failure.

-Ryan

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:31:19 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Hi Roy,

We have them in stock. Check our website or call us at(800)350-7429.

Rob Grady

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:37:01 -0000
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: The DOA and DML

After watching this thread and vacillating on a response here goes.

Purchased 5501 while living in Washington DC  no local club.
Transferred by 3M to St. Paul again no local club but, lots of
conversations with Bruce Benson. Joined the DOA - After about 2 years
questioned the price value of membership and discontinued.
Transferred to AZ - had a local club.

My personal opinion is with all the activity now in regional DeLorean
clubs, multiple outstanding publications, access to information via
the Internet and Ken's & DMCH shows what is the unique marketing
position of the DOA going forward? Not trying to make a stance just
asking a question.

Again my .02 but I have received more from ownership by being apart
of a local community of owners than any other experience save the DCS
(could not make the DMCH show).

Keep the money local, build a club and build the community.

Thanks for the soapbox!

Randal "The 3M Guy"
www.az-d.org

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:48:52 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Alex,

> Just a quick question.  I have found a couple of deloreans that are in great
> shape inside and out but still have most original stuff on em.  Even the
> original tires.  Assuming the fuel system was ok and engine was strong, what
> would you say the average cost to get the car in good running order.  My
> guess was about $4000 if you took it to say delorean motor center.

Yeah, that would get you started. I'd plan on spending $5k the first
year of ownership on repairs if you intend to get out and drive this
car. That's if you do the work yourself. Pay someone else to do it,
double that (at a minimum)..

> Car would need,
> Tires, shocks and springs,
> Alternator,
> Electrical updates,
> etc.
> Mahalo,
> Alex

New radiator hoses throughout entire car
Possibly a new radiator and water pump
Probably some A/C work
A general tuneup
At least a flush/fill on the brakes & clutch; a complete clutch
replacement might be in order (if it isn't, it will be once you start
driving it regularly).
New door struts
Rebuild of door lock system

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:19:14 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Don't waste your money on these tools. I have them and they don't work
safely on a DeLorean due to the CURVED thin wall aluminum tubing used.
Please refer to my earlier post for a more effective and safer (for the
evaporator) method.

Rob Grady

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:46:22 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DMC Long Range Product Plan and more (long)

This document was among the files we acquired from KAPAC, and it's
probably about 50-60 pages in length, and appears to be a draft rather
than a "final" copy. Nevertheless, it provides for interesting
reading. As an example, I've posted a quick and dirty scan of one page
here:

http://www.delorean.com/lrpp.jpg

How to best present these items to the DeLorean community has been a
problem I've been wrestling with for some time. As David T. mentioned,
these items have some instrinsic value as "intellectual property" and
are considered to be assets that we acquired through our purchase of
the KAPAC inventory.

Also, as David mentioned, there are limits as to what I can
distribute, not so much for "secrecy", but for time constraints. The
history of the original DMC is of great interest to me, but it
generates absolutely zero revenue for the company. Stephen does prefer
that I spend my working hours on projects and tasks that generate
income for the company, as you might imagine.

I would like to be able to scan and post them online, but don't want
them to be "lifted" from the site and posted everywhere. I want them
to be used as a "draw" to our website or magazine. That is the "wiggle
 room" that I have with Stephen to get these scanned, posted, whatever.

In that respect, some of the original memos and telexes that we got
with the KAPAC purchase or the files donated to us by Leif Montin have
been reprinted in the current issue of "deloreans" magazine. I expect
that we will continue to do so in that manner. However, items like
this 50-60 page document are not feasible to print, even in sections,
in the magazine.

At the our recent Open House event, BRP'ers were invited to relax in
the conference room here at DMC (Texas) and peruse the files to their
heart's content. Access to this is limited usually to events like this
because we don't feel comfortable letting just anyone wade around in
the files. Some of you longtimers may recall the 1998 Cincinnati
DeLorean Show, and the trip to our old warehouse in Columbus and the
theft issues from the event. I applaud Ken'e effort to have some
"museum-type" display set up at the DCS PR show in 2006.

In my spare time, after working hours, I have been scanning these
memos, files and telexes with the idea of burning them to CD/DVD, but
there are literally thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of pages of
files here. I've culled through them over the years and have about
250-300 of the interesting ones scanned.

This brings up a related subject, the massive amount of historical
documents being sold online by the bankruptcy trustee. I believe that
once these documents are sold and in private collections, they will
never see the light of day again. In a worst case scenario, in the
event of a divorce or child going off to college, some of these items
may be discarded by a malevolent spouse or an unwitting parent. In any
case, they're no better off in the hands of the eBayer than they were
in the trustee's files.

I've appealed, as have others, to the bankruptcy trustee to donate
these items to the Crawford Musuem in Cleveland (home of the first
production DeLorean built, #500) or to allow an organized group access
to these files for the purpose of copying and preserving them before
they are sold off to collectors around the world. The bankruptcy
trustee, at the time, insisted that neither was possible, and the
items were being sold to provide funds for the creditors of the
original DMC. I was under the impression that this action had been
closed, and if this is the case, where are these funds going? There is
at least one creditor of the original DMC on the list - can you
confirm or deny that you may be receiving any more settlements from
the bankruptcy trustee?

The preservation of these files, and if possible, to get those who
have bought things previously or who hold documents from the original
DMC, to copy them and make them available for preservation as well is
a task that should be undertaken by a well-organized national or local
DeLorean group in conjunction with a major auto-related museum (DCO,
are you listening?)

I would be happy to donate copies of all the DMC related files, memos,
and telexes to an organized, structured effort in this regard and I
would encourage all others to do the same. So much of the history of
the original DeLorean Motor Company is lost forever, I would hope that
what does remain can be preserved.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, PRC1216_at_dml_a... wrote:
> I remember a year or two ago, James mentioned they found a sheet
with all of
> the specs for the 1984 model DeLorean and all of the changes such as
a radio
> mounted up top on the headliner and a light in the ash tray, and
numerous other
> changes.   James, you said you were going to scan this and put it
online, but
> I haven't been able to find it yet.   Is this going to happen soon?
  Was I

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:50:49 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: New product? The otterstat replacement

Tom - It is interesting that you should bring this up.  I am
currently road testing an adjustable fan switch that functions just
as you describe.  So far, I am quite pleased with the performance,
and we are putting one in a second car for "beta testing".  The price
will be in the range of $50 ~ $60 as a complete kit with
instructions, will have a life-time warranty, etc. etc.  The switch I
am testing is analog in nature, and is adjustable from 180 F through
240 F.  There is a digital version which would be somewhat more
expensive.  I am not convinced at this time that demand for the
digital version would be sufficient to procure it.  We have several
of the analog switches in stock, and were planning on getting through
the upcoming July 4th parade as a good test of the functionality,
before adding them to the product offering on our website.  Both
Winged1 and the other car will be in the parade with these switches
installed.  I wanted to get it into another car because Winged1 also
has a new fan setup installed that I am testing.  The volume through
these high-performance fans is 3300 CFM, with a total current draw of
15 amps (maximum).  They are also very smooth and quiet (and look
very high-tech).  I have been using them in my car for nearly 2
months with great results, including a very long parade and rush hour
Seattle traffic (nearly the same thing these days).  I will keep the
List posted on how these components perform through the normally very
warm July 4th festivities.  The proposed name for this product line
will be "Wings-B-Cool".  What do you think?

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_p...> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I wanted to ask if there would be any interest for a quality
replacement for the otterstat. This is the part that controls when
the cooling fans switch on and then off.

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:55:55 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Tom,
There are 2 suppliers in the world I'm aware of that make otterstats /
Temperature switches. Out of 100's I have sold and the brand I sell that is
different from others I have replaced 2 in 2004 and none so far in 2005.
Nothing is going to last forever, but these are doing very well. The brass
case my brake before the parts inside wear out. If my memory isn't escaping
me I just replaced them both no charge.
As for what you are looking at, maybe you can design something that will
work better than what I did about  3 years ago when I was worried about the
supply form the suppliers.
The problem I had was getting the proper turn on and turn off to work in the
range I wanted and being a surface mount unit.
It was the sensitivity external and the metal pipes holding the temp longer
where as the otterstat was  / is directly in the path of the coolant and
more sensitive to the changes.
Keep me posted and the group on the progress. I am as you thinking of better
way's to improve the car.

From:Tom
Subject: [DML] New product? The otterstat replacement

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:06:25 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: hot outside, no start discussion

Kevin - I have seen the otterstats fail in both directions - the fans
either stop working, or never stop working.  In the case of Winged1,
the otterstat got progressively worse until the fans were on
continuously.  I just posted a message to the List about an otterstat
replacement that we are currently testing.  "Wings-B-Cool".

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> Also, my fans started running with key, regardless of actual
coolant/engine temp or AC setting (off for example). I know when fan's
don't come on that the otterstadt get replaced. But what about when
they suddenly don't shut off?

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:07:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:15:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: disseminating information.

It's funny, when I wrote that message I thought to
myself that people may think I am talking about "trade
secrets", such as their sources of parts or a how to
copy the High-Performance engine..

This is not what I am talking about..  More the
technical and historical information that was in the
possession of KPAC, which we can only assume is now in
the hands of DMCH.

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:34:50 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

I understand that a lot of the evaporators were notched to keep the
orifice in, which makes the removal really difficult. Try the
extractor, it takes some force to get it out and a new one in.
-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:35:36 -0500
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Clutch woes

More to Bill Roberson than anyone else.  My clutch recently began
making throwout bearing noises.  2 days later, cluth activity has
gotten horrible.  The cluth disengages at the last 2 inches of pedal
travel.  The rapid onset hints that the problem is not with the clutch
plate itself, it was supposedly new, per previous owner, and not
caused problems yet but perhaps it was a crap repair.  Likely cause
and most direct fix is what I'm looking for, I prefer to buy my parts
from vendors, not quick fixes or Delorean One.  (should hear the
recrded covo I have with him trashing other vendors parts as junk).

Jeff

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:38:57 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: pistons/liners

I have a lot of NOS Delorean liners and pistons; I took them out today
and looked them over. I'm curious as to why some are painted "C" in
green paint, and "B" in red paint on others..is there any difference
between these at all? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:03:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

Roy,
I bought a set of those from PJ Grady a couple of
years ago.Try his web site. www.pjgrady.com

Cheers
Andrew
2883
Australia

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:12:53 -0400
From: "Bernie Manderville" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: DOA

If the DOA can regroup and become an organization that supports the community I am all for it.   I am new to the group and just got my car last week.  It's pretty much all original.

I have joined the DOA for 3 years, mainly to get as many back issues as I can.  I see so many bad things being said about DOA, now I'm geting worried.  But I will reserve my opinion on DOA for a while.  I would reallly like to see something on the east coast, mid atlantic.  Maybe in conjuction with another show.

Bernie

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 02:59:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

This may be hard for you to realize but you can figure spending around
$5,000 JUST FOR THE PARTS! The labor can easily be another $5,000. If
you try to cut corners and skimp on things you will just be postponing
the work you will wind up doing. Price a master water pump kit, a
radiator, a tune-up, all of the fuel system parts, complete brake job,
tires, door seals, headliners, and all of the little things that have
to be done like upgrades, struts, recalls, etc. This is why a
non-running Delorean is only worth around $5,000 tops. When you are
done you will have $15,000 in it which is just about what it is worth
if it is a nice, running driver. And this is assuming you do not need
a lot of engine work (the motor was not overheated) and the frame is
in nice shape (no extensive rot).