From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2707
Date: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:36 PM

1. Engine Temperature Sender
From: Mike Hirko <jhirkojr_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. D-Rex in Wired
From: Marty Lick <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Painting Front Fascia
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

4. New Alternator...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

5. RE: Re: Door Strut Removal Method
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: Re: disseminating information.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Painting Front Fascia
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Re: Lookiong for a coolant bottle neck.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Houston, I have a (compression) problem
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Re: Strut Removal
From: "Scot Stern" <Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com>

11. Re: sudden loss of power
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

12. Will it ever end?
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

13. Re: Painting Front Fascia
From: "Namlemez" <thecal_at_dml_optonline.net>

14. Re: Re: Lookiong for a coolant bottle neck.
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: eBay bidder's beware
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

16. dw magazine
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>

17. Off white dipstick....HELP
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Re: tire wear / front end vibration
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>

19. Re: Re-blackening black
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

20. Re: Door Strut Removal Method
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Door Strut Removal Method
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

22. RE: Off white dipstick....HELP
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Off white dipstick....HELP
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

24. Re: Door Strut Removal Method
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

25. RE: Off white dipstick....HELP
From: DANIEL SHANE <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:39:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike Hirko <jhirkojr_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Engine Temperature Sender

     Thanks to all that responded to my previous
query. I finally got it out, but the cursing &
swearing probably much diminished any chance that I
might have had to get into heaven. Even the dogs chose
to stay out of the shop.

WAWAZAT

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:50:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marty Lick <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: D-Rex in Wired

My July issue of Wired magazine just showed up and as
Rich W. mentioned last month, his D-Rex makes an
appearance.  Look for it, and Rich, taking up most of
page 122.  I especially like how it appears to be
crushing the Hummer golf cart.

Nice pic, Rich.

-- Marty L.

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:47:26 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Painting Front Fascia

You are right, the earlier cars had a different color paint on the fascias.
You probably should request this before Rob has them painted, as most fascias
are re-painted to the later cars color specs (I don't know if Rob does this
or not).   My car, 1880, has the different color fascias, and they are less
silver than the later cars, and they have a "hint" of grey/green that you can see
when comparing them side by side.   Its hard to explain, you really just need
to look at them.   They are also shinier than the fascias put on the later
cars.

Both colors look good, the later ones   look a little better up against the
stainless IMO.

-Patrick C.

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:14:32 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: New Alternator...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Well....for a long time, I could not drive my car with headlights, radio,
and blower fan on and then open the windows.  The car would dim in power
SOOO low it would almost stall, and the windows would SLOWLY roll down on
what little bit of juice they were getting.

I finally broke down and bought a new alternator from John Hervey.  Since I
am an automotive reject, I lured Mike Paine to my house under the guise of a
Saturday afternoon BBQ and swim to help me install it.

HOLY CRAP!   The difference is amazing!   All of my electrical problems are
all but gone (except my battery drain which I plan on working on next).

Thanks again to Mike for helping me!   If you have poor power like I did in
your car from the original alternator..REPLACE IT!  you'll be glad that you
did.

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:10:53 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Door Strut Removal Method

Did you try twisting them.

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: disseminating information.

Thanks for the info Mike.  I did not realize the
Crawford has so much of this stuff.

Although they are not "disseminating" it, at least we
know it will be well preserved.... so when I either
win the lottery or retire, I can go read them all.

Can I take a soda instead of the beer?

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:53:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Based on your Vin, you should have the darker color
fascias.

I don't know if Rob will be painting them the
"correct" color for the Vin, or using the lighter
color as seen on the later cars....  Although I have
seen your car a number of times, I cant recall what
color your fascias and wheels were (the wheels on the
early cars are darker too).

As far as what color you want, I would suspect you
need to discuss that with Rob.

However, I will say that most of the time the
repainted fascias can be identified as such to people
who know DeLoreans.  Usually by the gloss more than
the color.

1860 has repainted fascias (painted by a local body
shop, NOT ROB), and although I asked him to match the
later (lighter) color, the mix got screwed up and the
color is darker like the earlier color.  With the
wheels from 6068 on it right now, it looks odd to
DeLorean connoisseurs.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:56:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Lookiong for a coolant bottle neck.

Thanks Dave, but that link only lists a Aluminum neck.
I need stainless.

I was thinking of calling local radiator shops, but
doubt they will know the correct cap style for the
DeLorean..  I have never tried to x-ref the cap, but
it looks a lot like a GM style.

Anyone know what "style" I need to look for?

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=COOLPART

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:40:35 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Houston, I have a (compression) problem

The readings on #4 indicte some sort of damage occuring. A
fiberoptic scope might help you see just what. It is going to be a
head removing fix. Probably a burned piston or dropped valve seat.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:13:44 -0000
From: "Scot Stern" <Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Strut Removal

You have gotten better answers from smarter people than me but I
thought that I would share with you my rencent experience.  I bought
new struts from Toby, with the tempeture correction and the lifetime
warranty.

Anyway, I too could not get the old ones off.....until I raised the
door all the way up and had someone hold it as high as it would go.
At that point, the pressure was off the strut and a small "wack" with
a rubber mallet did the trick.

Just holding them open did not work but "becoming the strut" by
holding it open all of the way seemed to take off the pressure and it
came right off.

Anyway, at this point I am probably not giving you great advise as I
am sure that you have tried this but if you haven't it might be worth
a try.

For the moderators:  The struts that I am refering to are Delorean
struts.  The car is a Delorean and the vendor that I bought the
struts from was a Delorean vendor.  Hope this helps in your decision
as to whether or not to post this reply.

Scot Stern

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:02:48 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: sudden loss of power

Thank you, I'll take the advice and get a dam in the next few weeks
when I can scrape together a big enough parts order. I also cleaned
and bent the connectors at the resistor for better contact, and now
my engine seems to idle slower then before-but I'm not complaining.
Thanks again, Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:17:59 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Will it ever end?

I get the car to my apartment and suddenly- when I was trying to pull
it out of first into reverse to get the car in its spot, it
didn't
want to come out of 1st. After a few more tries I finally got it out
of first and into reverse, the gear wouldn't engage all the way until
I let up on the clutch pedal a little bit. Engine sounded odd idling,
I was thinking it definitely had to be my hydraulics were out, it's
how it felt when I was sitting there trying to put it in every gear
just to see what it would do. It also kinda felt like my clutch was
slipping but it's only a year old. The pedal is fine, pumps and
has
enough fluid and isn't leaking at the slave cylinder. I've been
driving this car since April with no problem and now this. Rule out
the hydraulics, and last time I adjusted linkage I tightened the hell
out of everything so I'd be amazed if it fell out of adjustment
but
anything's possible ... I'm thinking its something internal-hope
I'm
wrong because I don't have time for any lengthy repairs AND this is
my
daily driver! Now I've got to try and limp to my shop to really do
more investigating. Anyone have any ideas? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:19:52 -0000
From: "Namlemez" <thecal_at_dml_optonline.net>

> Does anyone know what paint should be used and what color?

>From searching around on here I found people saying DBU or DBC 33584
Silver from PPG. I believe one is a lacquer and one is acrylic.

-Cal

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:57:49 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/27/2005 8:49:49 P.M. Central Standard Time,
malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I was  thinking of calling local radiator shops, but
doubt they will know the  correct cap style for the
DeLorean..  I have never tried to x-ref the  cap,but
it looks a lot like a GM style.

Marc,

It is your basic domestic-style 15psi radiator cap.  A similar  one may be
found on say a 92 GMC Sierra truck. A shop might have more  luck finding a 16
psi cap though - like it matters since they aren't exactly  precision
instruments anyway.  One time at work I tested a case of Stant  radiator caps and
apparently 2psi +/- is industry standard!

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:48:24 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: eBay bidder's beware

Can you point me towards any literature detailing this EU law? I cant
finad anything on the subject and certainly have not come across it in
my ebayings within the EU

Martin
UK Ebay user.

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 03:42:23 -0000
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>
Subject: dw magazine

Hello everyone,

For those Association members that did not receive the latest issue in the mail just yet, we
have updated the main page on our website with the current issue.  One of our feature
stories is posted as well which talks about the ownership of the DeLorean gold cars.  We
hope you enjoy it.  http://www.deloreanmagazine.com

We are currently packaging all of the back issues for delivery to our Association members
and new members who took advantage of our promotion.  You will be receiving them
soon.  If you have any questions please let us know and thank you for your support.

Kind regards,

Tony Hilger
DeLorean Owners Association

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:50:23 -0000
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Off white dipstick....HELP

I just replaces the fallowing

Water Pump
all hoses attached in back
Fuel Dist.
All new gaskets in the intake area,ypipe,

I pulled the dipstick out and its an offwhite, alost brown cream color.
Is this bad? The oil has sat for over a year+. I installed fresh
engine collent, Is this a bleeding collent problem?

THankyou..

Brian
05905 (If shes alive??)

AshtonOrlan_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:44:50 -0400
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>
Subject: Re: Re: tire wear / front end vibration

I forgot to mention those. All the bushings, and the sway bar itself,
were replaced back in 2001 (about 40k miles ago).

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:21:30 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Re-blackening black

I have actually repainted mine using a black bumper paint it drys a
satin colour with a texture that looks like unpainted plastic
bumpers. In fact most people think my louvre is brand new... i just
wash it and leather it off now.

Cleaned and primed it first using a plastic bumper primer ( red
colour ) All resprayed whilst it was hanging from wires from my
garage roof.

Yorkshire, UK

> In the past I was against painting the louvers because I wanted to
retain
> the texture.
> I used a lot of the liquid black restore products but I found that
all of
> them are very
> temporary and only last a few days or weeks, or a few washes.
> They also turn the surface into flypaper.
> So if you live in a dusty area or with a lot of pollen then you
have to wash
> them a lot.
> Conclusion - I hate to admit it but repainting is the best.
> - Videobob
>
> >From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_s...>
> >To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
> >Subject: Re: [DML] Re-blackening black
> >Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:40:12 -0500
> >
> >Ryan,
> >
> >When I get that "not so fresh" feeling about my black plastic, I
use some
> >spray on stainless polish.  What's funny: I never use the
stainless polish
> >on the steel, only on the plastic.  Sounds crazy but it works
great.  It
> >lasts reasonably long provided you let it dry.
> >
> >With that said, however, I think I might be checkin' out Andrew's
Griot's

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:57:13 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Door Strut Removal Method

Well,

If you have no plan to keep the old struts at all, then use a metal
hammer and beat them off. Just mind the stainless, and watch where you
swing it.

Then add a spot of oil in the new struts, and that sould prevent them
from becoming so fused to the joints.

Joe O'Brien

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:44:45 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

This method has a high likelihood of breaking something else too - the
lower strut mount is into the fiberglass. If they are really this tight
solve the problem by getting the pressure off the strut (see prior
discussion about lifting up on the door) and getting some penetrating
oil into the ball joint.

The new struts I've bought in the past are greased as-supplied.

Dave S

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 06:50:08 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Off white dipstick....HELP

Milky oil can be two things:

Auto trans fluid or coolant.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:17:12 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Brian

Well, it's not a good sign.  The rich creamy texture indicates that
you have moisture in the oil.  It can get there in a couple of differnt
ways.  If the car has not been driven in awhile and it has been sitting
in a cool, humid place, condensation can collect in the oil and get
frothed up when the engine is run.  This is the main reason you don't
want to run a car while it is in storage - you need to get the car
hot enough to drive all that water out or you risk bearing damage.
The other way to get water into the oil is from engine damage,
usually from overheating.  Head gaskets, liner seals, cracked
blocks can all lead to coolant getting into the oil.  Do you know
if the car has been overheated in the past?  Are you losing coolant?

Don't drive the car - change the oil right away.  Run it for a bit and
see if the milkyness comes back.  If it does, it's not condensation.
Time to take the engine apart...

-------------- Original message from "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:41:26 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Hello.

On really old struts exposed to the weather, it's also possible for the
clip to break in two during the removal attempt, leaving the strut
socket locked on the ball end by the little straight piece of the
clip.  If this happens, a minimally destructive method is to cut the
strut socket in half with a handheld rotary cutting wheel.  It's
timeconsuming but gentle.  I wouldn't whack the strut with anything
harder than my hand.  The lower mount point isn't terribly strong.

Rick Gendreau

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:
> You did pull out the little locking pins located in each ball didn't
you?
> Sometimes I give it a whack with a small plastic hammer on the bottom
of the
> strut.
> Dave Sontos

old door struts.

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:09:13 +0100 (BST)
From: DANIEL SHANE <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Have you changed your Oil.

You can get condensation in an engine and if left a
fair bit and collect in the oil, giving the appearance
of coolant in the oil.

The first thing I would do is change the oil and the
filter and clean the dipstick.  Then run the engine
for a while and check the dipstick again.

Dan