From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2713
Date: Friday, July 01, 2005 6:14 AM

1. Front Shock Bushings....
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

2. Re: What new tires should I buy?
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com

3. Beeding Brakes for Front End
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

4. Loveland, CO DeLorean on eBay
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Rarest of all PRV's
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

6. Mysterious Delorean Deal
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

7. Fraudulant eBay DeLorean!!!!!
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Re: Captive nut for door striker pin
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

9. Re: Mysterious Delorean Deal
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Mysterious Delorean Deal
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. Re: D-Rex in Wired (see it and read it online)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

12. Re: Beeding Brakes for Front End
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

13. RE: Mysterious Delorean Deal
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. RE: Fraudulant eBay DeLorean!!!!!
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

15. Re: What new tires should I buy?
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

16. Re: Mysterious Delorean Deal
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

17. RE: Re: Mysterious Delorean Deal
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

18. RE: Beeding Brakes for Front End
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

19. Re: Beeding Brakes for Front End
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

20. Ebay Fraud.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: stains on lower engine cover
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

22. Re: Re: Mysterious Delorean Deal
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Front Shock Bushings....
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. engine swap?
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Door Alignment Issues
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:30:06 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Front Shock Bushings....

Hi All

After replacing my front shocks with a pair of NOS ones, i note that
on my new ones that the 'brass' ? bushing that came fitted to them
and goes through the bottom of the shock , is shorter than the old
ones that came off , on my car there was no additional bushings
around this shock / bolt. I note from the 'tiny' pictures in the
parts manual, bushings parts numbers 30 - 100478 and 36 - 109080 are
the later the ones that are on my shock already or do i need theses
in addition ? 2 sets of bushing to each side of each shock doesnt
seem right ??

its a long way to go to not have the right bits :)any one / vendor
help ??

Kind Regards

Yorkshire UK

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:27:06 EDT
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: What new tires should I buy?

Paul,

I put Cooper Cobra's on my DeLorean and love em..Reasonable priced  also.

Chuck Darling
Vin# 6125

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:35:29 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Beeding Brakes for Front End

If I am only doing front-end brake work (calipers, rotors, pads), do I
need to bleed all four brakes when completed, or just the fronts?

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:36:45 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Loveland, CO DeLorean on eBay

If anyone is interested in the DeLorean for sale in Loveland, Colorado
(http://tinyurl.com/8kjne) let me know.  I have in-laws in Loveland that I
could try to walk through getting info and pics of the car for me over the
phone.

Michael Babb

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:25:49 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Rarest of all PRV's

Hi All

While the 3 litre turbo as found in the A610 is the rarest of all
production PRV's, they can be built from donor parts from other, much
more common engines plus a couple of new parts from Renault. There is
however a very rare version as found (in the UK) only in the Peugeot 605
and Citroen XM and even then, only as an expensive option. These engines
are like hen's teeth and while the bottom end is exactly the same as the
Renault 3 litre engines (higher compression ratio), the heads are a
completely different matter, and the intake manifold is not exactly
similar either!

I picked my new toy up today. Here're some pics of my "new" 3 litre 24v
PRV. I took some snaps to illustrate the major differences.

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN1943.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN1944.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN1945.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN1946.JPG

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:54:49 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>
Subject: Mysterious Delorean Deal

Is this too good to be true?
Does anyone know anything about this car or its owner?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31830&
item=4559144481&rd=1

Supposedly, according to the seller's email, I am the only approved
bidder and he will sell it to me for $4,500 including shipping.(!)
I've got an ebay invoice for the item and am trying to determine if this
is a scam.  (I can't imagine I'd be so lucky to get such a pristine car
so cheaply.)
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kermit P.

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:56:41 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Fraudulant eBay DeLorean!!!!!

Warning: eBay auction # 4559144481 (http://tinyurl.com/bxfga) is fraudulent.
They are using pictures of my car: (http://tinyurl.com/7ppvs).

I am contacting eBay to warn them of this, but just a warning to you all not
to bid on this one.

Michael Babb

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:34:08 -0500
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Captive nut for door striker pin

Back when I bought 1063, it didn't have door guides.  As a result, I used to
have some trouble closing the doors, and occasionally the door would flex
enough to bang the striker pin.  Apparently this caused my pin to cock
sideways and stripped the threads out.  Fortunately, this was on the front
fender.  As others have posted, you can simply remove a few screws under the
rocker panels (my car spent most of its life in California, so removing
screws wasn't a problem) and reach behind the front fenders to remove the
captive nut assembly.  I think the project took me less than 30 minutes,
including cleanup time.  There is a write-up in the manual on how to do it.
Unfortunately for Luke, I've never touched the rear ones, and I hope I don't
have to!

I've posted some pics of a captive nut assembly in the Photos section.  The
folder name is "Front Captive Nut" for anyone interested in seeing what one
looks like.

Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:53:04 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Mysterious Delorean Deal

If its too good to be true...

There have been some DeLorean scams like this recently on eBay.

-Patrick C.

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:55:18 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Well - it appears the message AFTER yours (assuming Yahoo delivers them
in order) would answer your question. Too good to be true is usually
too good to be true. Tell him you want to pick it up and pay in person,
see how he replies.

Note that note was not a reply to yours but an independent message!

Dave S

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:46:27 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: D-Rex in Wired (see it and read it online)

In case you are curious about the Wired article and photo, but
cannot find the magazine for sale or do not want to buy one,
check out the following link (then click on the thumbnail D Rex).
It does not have the same impact as in the magazine, but its free.

http://wired.com/wired/archive/13.07/crashups.html

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:14:35 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Beeding Brakes for Front End

My advice would be to bleed them all.  It's a good time to completely
replace your brake fluid while you are at it.

-------------- Original message from "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>: --------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:27:12 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I just want to say something here...
Because of jerks like the guy in this auction trying to scam people it is
giving
eBay and online sales a bad name.
I just want to say that you should not let a few bad apples ruin everything.

EBay is a great way to buy and sell and I bought my own car from eBay.
I also bought and sold my Knight Rider car on eBay, as well as several
other vehicle and all to happy folks.
The main thing here is to deal with someone who either has great feedback
and reputation but most importantly to see the car with your own eyes.
If you can not arrange to see the car in person you can use the resources
of this list to have someone else go look at it, or to insist on some close
up
pictures or even a video.
I have had the seller pop a tape in their camcorder and do a nice walk
around
and get lots of detailed video of the whole thing and mail it to me.
I offer to pay for the tape and shipping.
As a seller, they want to sell the car and if they are not willing to work
with you then you need to just avoid them.

I have seen cars in pictures that look great and then when you go to look at
the
car you see a whole other side of problems.
Sometimes people will use pictures of the car from the past, or pictures of
some other car, or a stock shot.
I avoid those.
When I sell a car, I take tons of close up photos and videos and I try to
show
every little nic and scratch because I feel that the honest disclosure eases
the buyer and gains trust.

The important thing is not to let your exitement lead your decision
and make you jump in too quickly.
A good rule of thumb when it comes to these cars is to have an extra
$5000 in reserve to "restore" the car to get it perfect.
Unless it is a total shitbox, you can usually make the car nice with a good
$5K
be replacing the seat covers, recovered dash, binnacle, carpets, floormats,
headliner,
replacing the fuel and brake system and a good radio.
That's usually all you need to do on these to get them where you want them.
Between DMCH and the vendors this is easy to do.

Just my 2 cents.
- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:24:42 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: Fraudulant eBay DeLorean!!!!!

I thought the car looked familiar!  Thanks for clearing this up.   The
Ebay invoice looked totally authentic except he claimed he wanted the
money to go to an "Ebay agent" as opposed to escrow.  Nice car, Michael.
I would have loved to have had it at the price he was offering!

Kermit Poling

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:04:32 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

I did the same.  They look and drive great.  For the price, you can't beat
them.

Jace

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:01:46 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

It must be a scam.  Or at least Ebay thinks so.  They pulled the auction.

Jace

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:19:26 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Mysterious Delorean Deal

This is (somewhat) amusing.  I did, in fact, offer to drive up with
cash.  And he wrote back saying that while the car was in Kentucky, he
actually lived in Hawaii and therefore wanted to go through an Ebay
Motors agent supposedly in Chicago (via western union payment only)  and
that Ebay (not an escrow company) would hold the money until I accepted
delivery of the car...shipped anywhere in the US within 2 days.  This is
my first big encounter with such a scammer...boy would I like to find
some way to have him appropriately - uh - detained.

Kermit Poling

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:12:23 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Paul, You might want to check back also. But the master cylinder in in 2
parts on the inside. Front and back are separate in the master.
John Hervey
The brake man.(:-)

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:29:03 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

As for bleeding, you would really only need to do the front. They are
separate plungers but share one reservoir. If you have not bled and
flushed the fluid in the past year, just do the whole thing. It's not
that much extra work and you'll feel better about it.

> Paul, You might want to check back also. But the master cylinder in
in 2
> parts on the inside. Front and back are separate in the master.
> John Hervey
> The brake man.(:-)

Behalf

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:28:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Ebay Fraud.

Escrow fraud is a big thing now..

http://www.sos4auctions.com/

Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:49:48 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: stains on lower engine cover

Are the boots on the drive shaft(s) split or leaking?

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:07:41 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Kermit... A very interesting scam and very common.  These guys are  usually
from overseas and make the auctions look so good.  Last winter I  had just
purchased a Polaris Ranger and saw a 2005 model on e-bay for a great  price.  Two
key elements raised my suspision: (1) The payment had to be by  Western Union
Money Order only and (2) the use of an escrow agent other than  e-bays.  E-Bay
was quick to end this auction when reported to them.   There are all sorts of
Oxygen Thieves out there and the trick is to catch them.  The guy with the
Polaris had all kinds of positive feedback that he had stolen  from a legitimate
e-bayer.

Roy

Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 02:32:08 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Front Shock Bushings....

What vendor did you buy them from?

Joe OBrien

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_b...>

Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 02:25:45 -0000
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: engine swap?

Hi everyone, recently I found out I may need to do some engine
work/rebuilding on my car. I'm having a compresion problem and was
told that there maybe something internal also wrong with it. Now I'm
more of a purist with the cars, as long as they are in a restorable
condtion, however mine has already been modified from and auto to a
5-speed. I haven't been able to get my car looked at only beacuse of
the funds so its sitting quietly in the garage. I have very to
little to no mechanical experiance. But would am alwasy up for some
type of new venture. Now if the engine is going to need a complete
rebuild or if I do need a new one (worst case senerio) it would have
to sit for a long time as I just do not have the respurces to do
this in a resanble time. Between school and work time and money.
However if it does need to sit a long long time I wouldn't mind
considering some type of better set up then what is in her now. I
know this particular car has been over heated by the previous owners
and even a garage which we sued and the over-heat was so bad  it
locked up the motor we did get it running (this was this past year
then it need a new tranny in January) So with the new problems
coming along am I looking to possbily lose the PRV6? Or am I just
over reacting?

Darryl

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:22:52 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Door Alignment Issues

I'm in the process of aligning my striker pins so the doors close easier without as much "clunking".  So far I have adjusted the drivers side well, I can close the door with one finger and it latches front and back and locks fine.  The passenger side is a slightly different story however, I have been adjusting the pins and cannot seem to get it to close as well as the drivers side.  It will close but takes some more force and you can definitely feel the pins bumping the door as it closes.  I have tried removing one pin so I only have to align one at a time, but the pins just will not move far enough for a proper alignment.  Does it sound like I have to adjust my hinges?  That seems like it would have a huge impact on the way the way the door closes so I have held off on that.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont