From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2723
Date: Thursday, July 07, 2005 12:12 PM

1. Cooling Problem
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Another fake Ebay auction???
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Cooling Problem
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Bttf delorean
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Another fake Ebay auction???
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

6. Re: Another fake Ebay auction???
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Cooling Problem
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

8. Re: Cooling Problem
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

9. Re: Cooling Problem
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. Use of Silicone Seal / RTV
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

11. RE: RPM Relay/ECM/Pulse generator Diagnostics
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: Cooling Problem
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

13. Re: Car Show/John's Memory
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

14. Re: Help! Door lock problem! -- Eureka!
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

15. Re: DeLorean Owners Association
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

16. Removing Electrical Contacts from connectors...
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. Re: Use of Silicone Seal / RTV
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

18. RE: Clutch will not disengage fully
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

19. Fwd: Lotus 06.on behalf of Chris Parnham
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>

20. 2005
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

21. OK, I really screwed up
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

22. Re: stains on lower engine cover
From: "vin2450" <svw_coco_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Use of Silicone Seal / RTV
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

24. Sealing transmission
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

25. Re: New Seat Covers
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:25:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cooling Problem

I'm having a cooling problem and need  help with trouble shooting & diagnosing...

Back story...
Last Fall my alternator belt broke and I almost over heated. So I replaced my
"otterstat" just to be safe. Two different new otterstats later my fans would
still not cycle off properly (outside temps in mid to high 60s). I put the
original back in and all is well.

Fast forward to this Summer...
Now my car takes forever to cool back down after the fans cycle on at highway
speeds. This does not happen when traveling on surface streets at 25-35mph (it
cools and cycles rather quickly). At first I thought this was due to outside
temperatures being in the 90s but found out that is not always true but plays a
key role. Why would my car have a hard time cooling down at highway speeds
(65-75mph) than in stop & go traffic?

Other oddities:
- running the AC causes my car to run warmer than normal. It slowly creeps up to
around the 220 mark and hovers there.
- on a recent trip from OH to GA and back I noticed my fans would kick on an off
at different temperatures. It was mostly normal but a couple of times not at the
usual "on" & "off" temps. This makes me think the original "otterstat" may be
bad.
- even traveling thru the cool of the night I noticed at times my the temp to be
warmer than normal (even at times when I was NOT stressing the engine by climbing
up hills or passing)

Before the trip I replaced the thermostat and blew out 20yrs worth of dirt & dead
bugs from the original radiator. Also tested the in & out temps of the radiator
and there is a 25 degree difference. My car has the self bleeding kit installed.

Tonight I am going to try a different "otterstat" (98-93 degree). This time I
hope my fans will cycle off. If they do not is there anything else I can try?

Toby, how's that new adjustable "otterstat" project coming? Do you think that
could solve my problems?

Any other things that could be causing this that I could look into?
Thanks in advance to any and all help.

Shannon Y

Sell on Yahoo! Auctions  no fees. Bid on great items.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:42:59 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Another fake Ebay auction???

Doex this look like another fake Ebay auction?

ViewItem&rd=1&item=4560534832&category=31830&sspagename=WDVW

Thomas
VIN:2953

Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:28:14 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling Problem

I'm not sure what to say except about you saying your fans turn on at
different temps.?  Is your guage working properly?  Maybe you need a
new sending unit for it.

Thomas
VIN: 2953

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:02:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Bttf delorean

I was in Hawaii Dec 2003, and have photos of the
DeLorean mounted on the celing of Planet Hollywood in
Waikiki.

Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:10:06 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Another fake Ebay auction???

I checked this vin # out on carfax and they list it as an "invalid vin
#"

-Derek

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_h...>

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 00:57:49 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Ebay just removed the item from auction. Guess we were right again!

Thomas
VIN: 2953

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 00:59:37 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> I'm having a cooling problem and need  help with trouble shooting &
diagnosing...

>...the original radiator.

Shannon, I went through a similar senario with the Screamin Yellow D.
It turned out the radiator was shot!  Put in a new one care of Don
Steger and it runs cooler than ever... even in the 90+ weather during
the Houston open house.

Ron

Gullwing Magazine
www.gullwingmagazine.com

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 00:55:36 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

What you describe could be the symptom of a several different issues
single or multiple. In order of checking -

License tag in front of air flow to radiator (does ok at slow
speeds - at higher speeds air is forced away from opening by the tag)

Slipping water pump/alternator belt

Fan circuit-breaker not adequate (OEM wiring is proven to fail)

Thermostat (replace it)

Radiator needs cleaned inside (or replaced)

One of the fans not working all the time (worn-out brushes in motor -
 common with more miles especially in hotter climates where fans are
on more)

Coolant too low - continues to collect air in system (common with
the steel reservoir tank - if you don't check it)

Bleed-off hose at radiator is clogged

Otterstat installed wrong (wire connections must face down)

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:35:24 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

This is a very good point to make. The original DeLorean radiator is a
nice piece of work - very efficient, very tiny passages, lots of tiny
fins. Put one next to the common aftermarket part and you'll see what I
mean. My bet is that the OEM Delorean radiator has about the same
capacity as the aftermarket three-core unit that is widely sold.

The downside is that, after 25 years of dubious maintenance and lack of
flushes, it's probably plugged somewhat. If it's not leaking yet it
will be, just consider this normal maintenance.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_s...>

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:56:45 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Use of Silicone Seal / RTV

I've heard that the use of any silicone product such as silicone sealer
or RTV is death for the O2 sensor.

Is this true for use in the intake system as well or does the
combustion process eliminate the evil humors ?

I was thinking of using some on the idle tube that connects under the
fuel distributor.

D & 6530
aka Dave Delman

Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:37:46 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: RPM Relay/ECM/Pulse generator Diagnostics

Just put a timing light on the car and crank it. If the problem is that the
rotor is pointed in the wrong direction it will still flash, just not when
the timing mark is at TDC for #1. There are two marks on the crankshaft
pulley. One is for cylinder one and the other aligns with a different
cylinder. (Probably #3 or #6) Unless anotherr cylinder is 180 degrees out
from cylinder 1 you should be able to just hook up to cylinder one and see
if the light flashes when either mark is at TDC for #1. If not, then that is
most certainly the problem.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 02:07:00 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

You also need to be VERY careful with the radiator as well when it
comes to concrete stops & curbs in parking spaces. The bottom of the
radiator is right the height to scrape the tops of these concrete
obsticales. Impacting it like this will cause the side tanks to flex,
and eventualy seperate, causing leaks in an otherwise good radiator.

So you need to be really careful with these things. Scraping the
ground with the nose isn't always just isolated to the sway bar
brackets. Take it from me on this one, because I've done the same
thing a a 4-year old radiator on my car by being careless.

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 03:04:41 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Car Show/John's Memory

Nice story, I have a feeling there is a renewed interest in the
Delorean automobile and the man.   "Whatever success I have had in
this business has always been based on the integrity of the product
itself, and in the belief that the customer is an outstanding judge
of value," John Delorean  told  New York Times in 1981 "you might
fool some of the people some of the time, but in the aggregate, the
worlds car buyers will search out and find the products that
represent the best value".
What comes around goes around, this time in a positive way.

Byron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 22:08:14 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Re: Help! Door lock problem! -- Eureka!

Thank you to all who helped.  The problem was in the lock module.

Jace

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 02:20:21 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Owners Association

Sometime around 1996, I got to be quite interested in buying a
DeLorean. Well, actually, obsessed would be a more correct word. In
that time, I had planned on not only getting the car, but believed
that joining the DOA was to be high priority as well. And later on
down the road is where trouble began to start. In the past, I've had
many run-ins with DOA board-members, mostly through e-mail. Such as
when I was told that if I was not happy with the state of the DOA,
that I could come down to the Peterson museum, and voice my complaints
directly to the directors. In fact, I was told that if bought the
airplane ticket, he'd pick me up at the airport. I told him that
wasn't necessary, and that I could be in Los Angeles in 3 hours
driving time, since I only lived in Las Vegas. He never responded to
any of my e-mails after that. I've been chased off property by a
current director, when I arrived one evening at her shop out in
Chatsworth. And a couple years ago, I got into a pretty serious flame
war off-list with a *new* member from the DOA. This "young blood"
member of the DOA, who was supposed to show that the DOA was
"in-touch" with younger owners, such as myself. Nothing changed there.

Now it's been said that we should overlook these previous experiences,
and move on. What's in the past will remain there, and isn't the
future. I'm very keen on progressive thinking and moving forward.
Holding a grudge is not something that I want. But I can tell all of
you right now with full confidence that not a damn thing has changed
with the DOA. So in an effort of putting the past behind us all, let
me please share with you a RECENT run-in with the "NEW" DOA!

Now I don't really know all that much about the past history of my
car, save it spending all of it's previous life in Cali, and a flyer
from a long defunct DeLorean garage. The California DMV has told me
that it'll cost $20 per year, to obtain microfiche copies of my car's
registration, to see who all has owned it. Fine. But in the mean time,
I decided to try and contact the DOA. I too had heard that they had
changed, and figured that this would be a great opportunity to mend
some fences of my own. And as you can guess, that didn't happen.

2 months ago I rang the DOA up, to enquire if perhaps they had any
history on my car. Maybe the previous owner(s) were DOA members, and
that could help me track them down. So I called them up. The told me
that he didn't have any information on my VIN, other that what was
harvested off my DML posts. Not a problem. After all it was a
longshot. So I decide to chat the guy up a bit, and get a feel for
him.  Especially since I have been told that this person in particular
had a good reputation as a friendly person, who's always been willing
to help out other DeLorean owners. I stated that I had purchased the
car, and was unsure if it was a one owner car or not, so that
curiosity, and the fact that I was looking to put together a portfolio
on my car were motivating factors. Pretty much what I've already
stated above. He then proceeded to tell me that I was a "...gullible
young man...", and that "Car salesmen will tell you anything to make
you feel better about the car." I told him that might be true, but
that I've owned this car for 5 years, and have infact been very happy
with it ever since. I don't regret buying it. And in fact, I purchased
the car when it was on consignment _at_dml_ a DeLorean service center (it was
an estate sale or something, and they didn't want any contact with the
buyer(s). Strange people to say the least). This guy just snorted a
"Hrrumph!" at me, and proceeded to end the call. Which I was more than
happy to do as well.

Now don't get me wrong, I honestly do appreciate the guy taking the
time there to help me out. But at what cost to both of us? I got
insulted, and he lost a potential member.

So in my recent observation, no, the DOA hasn't changed a bit. Sure
the collection of older magazines would be nice, but they'll always
come round for sale on eBay. So I have another option of getting them
somehow. Not that they are exactly a priority on any level. And no,
this isn't a new offer per se. The DOA has been offering an entire
catalogue of past magazines for sale, since at least 1997, according
to www.archive.org It's just that they've changed the price, and the
membership length around now.

I agree wholeheartedly with James Espy here. The DOA has served it's
purpose, and it's time to move on. They offer a magazine that has
almost nothing to do with the DeLorean car, and is targeted towards
the "lifestyle" that DeLorean owners are presumed by the DOA directors
to live. They've not hosted any events in two years, according to
their website. Their magazines are devoid of decent tech articles, and
put me to sleep with their reviews of trips that do not peak my
interest, from places I have no desire to go to. Now I know that
everyone's opinion is their own, and that's true. But for a magazine
that trying to appeal to people like me, it's not hitting it's mark at
all.

If they want to show us an act of goodwill, then turn the database of
VIN/Locations over to Knut Grimsrud, so that we can complete the
database. That would truly be an act of generosity, as something that
would benefit us all, if not perhaps change my mind. Otherwise, in my
opinion, if the DOA is to survive at all, then it needs to remain
where it is right now. And that is a Southern California club. I will
recognize the DOA as a regional club, but never the premier, or main
one. I will happily co-exist on a equal plane, but will not submit to
anyone, or organization as being the one "in charge" of things. Go
play "14th floor" with someone else.

And as I've said before, not a single thing has changed at the DOA,
and likely never will. I myself have come to realize that there is no
one specific person who's responsible for all this. It's not even a
specific group of people that's causing this. It's the mentality that
no one will let die. No matter who comes along, they'll always be the
same as the person before whom they replaced. Even in some of these
last posts, Tony refused to acknowledge Ken K.'s car show, as THE
DeLorean even that has replaced the expos. All he would say, is that
some have attended. No commitment to reports on it in future articles
at all. Will there even be anything about the DMCH Open House & the
Concourse event?

Even if you're not responsible for the past acts of other leaders
before you, Tony, how about a public apology for the lawsuit against
James Espy, on behalf of the DOA? After all, it was *Your* club in
which you proudly take an active roll in, that tried to take this list
away from people like me.

Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:38:18 -0500
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Removing Electrical Contacts from connectors...

Can anyone tell me how to pop out the electrical connector pins on the
Idle Speed Regulator (the harness side).  I was in the process of
cleaning the electrical contacts and cannot get at the harness side
connector contacts well enough.

I am also in need of replacing the bootie for the connector.  Anybody
know where to get one?  I didn't see a part pointed out in parts manual.

Thanks.

Regards,
Wayne / VIN#2447

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 23:29:05 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Use of Silicone Seal / RTV

In a message dated 7/6/2005 10:01:40 P.M. Central Standard Time,
doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com writes:

ve heard  that the use of any silicone product such as silicone sealer
or RTV is  death for the O2 sensor.

Is this true for use in the intake system as  well or does the
combustion process eliminate the evil humors ?

I  was thinking of using some on the idle tube that connects under the
fuel  distributor.

D & 6530
aka Dave  Delman

Dave,

This is a warning to heed when replacing the O2 sensor, including the use  of
anti-seize. It's ok to get this stuff on the threads, but don't get it on the
 sensor itself.  Don't worry about using it elsewhere.

BTW, if the o-ring is present under the fuel distributor and the idle motor
pipe is positioned correctly, silicone should be unnecessary.  It will also
make things more difficult the next time you have to remove the pipe.

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 01:54:40 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Clutch will not disengage fully

Jeff,
Have someone press on the clutch while you look at the fluid in the bottle.
If it looks like it's coming back into the bottle, then there is a seal that
may not be sealing properly.
If the slave hasn't been changed, then the fluid could be going around the
seal and after a while it should show signs of leaking.
I have new seal kits for the slave and master in stock that are warranty for
life.
We make them new.

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:38:04 +0100
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Fwd: Lotus 06.on behalf of Chris Parnham

For any of our existing overseas members coming to the UK next year, I
can confirm that the dates for "Lotus 06 " are Sat 3rd and Sunday 4th of
June 06.  (This is the weekend following on from the DOA's Eurofest
event).

Places for the Lotus Factory / Test track part of the event are strictly
limited and because of this will be restricted to DOC UK members only.
However, some of the rest of the events, which will include
presentations/ visits from a whole host of former DeLorean / Lotus
executives and employees, at a verity of historic venues in East Anglia,
will be open to all.    A true one-off event not to be missed!

This is a event run by enthusiasts for enthusiast, at minimal costs,
people will be expected to make there own arrangements for
accommodation, travel etc.  We will obviously provide as much help and
advice as we can nearer the time.

 We welcome overseas members, see website for details
www.deloreans.co.uk <http://www.deloreans.co.uk/> .

Best regards
Chris Parnham
Secretary of the DeLorean Owners Club UK
RHD  vin 5638 ,  RHD vin 12173,  BTTF vin 20049

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:06:49 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: 2005

I thought the list might enjoy this link...

http://hvtm.totalcar.hu/index.php3?ID=9000&carID=2041&s=1

Ron
Gullwing Magazine
www.gullwingmagazine.com

Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:07:55 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: OK, I really screwed up

I scratched my roof :( (don't ask), not deep and they should come out
really easy.  Where can I get the Scotch-Brite pads, and the stainless
cleaner/polish online?  I really don't have time to run all over town
looking for this stuff.

Also I need to redo the louver on the back, it's graying and looks
pretty bad, what do you guy's use.

Thanks,

Bernie

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:26:17 -0000
From: "vin2450" <svw_coco_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: stains on lower engine cover

Check the clutch on the end of your a/c compressor for oil stains,
it's possible that the a/c shaft seal is leaking which would cause
this as well.  At least that was my issue last year when I started to
notice a few wet spots on my lower cover by the bumper.  If this is
the case and you need one I can look up the a/c Delco part # for you,
just e-mail me off the list.

Stephane Van Westerop
vin 2450 Ottawa,On

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 03:35:15 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Just get the "sensor safe" stuff. Most anything by permatex is sensor
safe nowadays.

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:43:14 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Sealing transmission

Guys if you've read my previous posts you know I had big problems with
my manual transmission. I'm in the process of putting it back together
but need to know: Should I put any hylomar sealant on the paper
gaskets? I know I need it on the parts with no gaskets, is it okay if
I use it on the paper gaskets because I really don't want to do all
this work, reinstall it and have it drip after all. Thanks guys, -----
Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 15:56:19 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: New Seat Covers

Some other features of the the two-tone seats are the center grey
sections are perforated, allowing for the use of either heating
elements OR cooling fans. Also, the two-tone seats are COMPLETE
leather - seating surfaces and side panels. The "regular" seat cover
sets are like OEM seats, leather seating surfaces and vinyl sides.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1 toll-free help and order line!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Houston's seat covers are awesome, and if I could do it all over
again I
> would get their new two-tone seat covers...they look awesome and set
the car
> off in a new way.

(SNIP)