Subject:
From:
Date:
10 Jul 2005 17:49:18 -0000

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

From: Chris Bowman <cbowman3169_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

From: debra spurlin <dmspurlin_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "my88mph" <my88mph_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

22. RE: mode switch repair
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

23. Re: mode switch repair
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:43:28 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Grounds

They ground all the sensors and switches on the engine. At least those
that need grounding, i.e. most of the ones with two wires on them.

The ground wire with the red jacket on theback side of the passenger
side intake runner grounds the ECU - i.e. the frequency valve computer
that is run by the O2 sensor.

So - yeah the engine might run with all that stuff disconnected but it
may not be happy about it.

Did you check the interior ground at the bulkhead - BOTH inside and
outsideand to the frame below the water bottle? That causes about the
strangest stuff on the car.

dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_a...> wrote:

>> Does anyone know specifically what the black ground wires the bolt to
>> the intake manifold are for?
>>
>> My car seems to run fine (well maybe I should say, still runs the
>> same)  without them grounded.
>>
>> (Except for the intermitant tach / idle flicker which persists

despite

Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 09:18:30 -0700
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Door Weather Stripping

Scot,
I had the same issue with mine where the driver's side was cracked, but the
passenger side was fine. I don't know if it was DMCH or the original DMC
that changed it, but the newer design does work better for sealing.

If you are concerned a bit about the looks with the screws showing more, I
came up with a nice solution. I threw out the old rusted black screws and
picked up new ones at Lowes. They sell the exact same size of sheet metal
screws in stainless steel at 5 for a buck. They look nice and wont' rust on
you!

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 11:17:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: To all Maryland DMC Owners

Hi Mike.  Just curious, what did you take as proof of
"Historic Status"?

Steve

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:54:38 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Door Bang/Snap

How loud was the bang? If it sounded similar to a gunshot then look at the
R/H torsion bar as the likely suspect. Over 24 years of DeLorean repairs
I've only heard one bar break (except a few instances when we purposefully
have broken a seized bar to aid in its replacement). If this is the case try
to look on the bright side. You are now one of the select few people who
have witnessed the death of their torsion bar  :) . Try to open the passenger
door again but this time put your hand on the forward bottom edge of the
door and lift as hard as you can while releasing the door handle with your
left hand. If this works then carefully lift the door to reveal your newly
sheared two piece torsion bar and be grateful no one was actually shooting
at you AND that it was the right hand side that broke! Call us or your
favorite vender for the part and replacement procedure. Hopefully of course
I'm wrong about this but I have a hunch I'm not. Let us know what you find?

Good Luck,

Rob Grady

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 15:15:32 -0500
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

            Well, I did in fact finally lift the door. It is heavier than I thought it
would
be that's why I thought it wouldn't open. After I lifted it up I felt the torsion bar
and it is in fact very loose toward the rear of the door. It is still in the front part.
I haven't taken my trim piece off the back window yet to see what exactly has
happened. I've been messing around with my aprilia. One thing at a time. I'll
try and look at it sometime tonight or tomorrow and let you all know. Thanks.

                                  Jason #5903

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 17:45:28 -0500
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

I worked on one DeLorean where the splines had stripped on the passenger
side torsion bar. There was about 1/2" of splines sticking out of the
retainer bracket but everything inside the bracket was worn down. We shimmed
the bracket out enough to catch those remaining splines and it seems to be
holding up. I have no idea why it happened but if it can happen once I'd
guess it can happen again.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:56:46 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: To all Maryland DMC Owners

Any printed information you can obtain that states that only so many
were produced between 1981 and 1982, before the company went out of
business. You will see that the historic registration form gives you
three options to qualify for historic. Is does not have to be over
25 years old if only a small number were produced, and are no longer
made.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Steve Stankiewicz

Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 23:02:22 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Bascially, take a pic of your VIN tag, print out anything on the
company thats shows they are no longer in businiess,  download this
form:

http://mvamaryland.com/Resources/VR-096.pdf

Fill it out, take it with title and checkbook to the MVA and you
should be all set.  I had no problems at all.

Bernie

Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 23:17:57 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: OK, I really screwed up

I was down with Mike Pack today and he really couldn't see the
scratches, unless he looked really hard.  We had a little tech
session, and worked on my car, replacing alternator, oil pressure
sending unit, relays, coil, and circuit breakers.  The scratches
aren't that bad, but I know they are there, and that's what gets me,
because I made them.  I'm thinking about 1 pass with a blending pad
and they will be gone.

I have two extra oli filters at the moment.  Along with lot's of
other new parts that still need to be installed, but there is no
rush.  I enjoy working on a car that isn's loaded with more
electronics than I can understand.

Bernie

>> You may need to go over the scratches with 80# sandpaper first and
>> finish with a blending pad. You may as well patronize your faovite
>> vender instead of ordering anywhere else. Pick up an extra oil

filter

>> too.
>> David Teitelbaum
>> vin 10757

come

>> out

>> stainless

>> town

looks

Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 23:31:06 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: Sealing transmission

Erm - use the correct paper gaskets where you are told to use
paper gaskets - that WILL affect clearances.

-------------- Original message from "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>: --------------

Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:50:43 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: 2005

heres a list:

http://hvtm.totalcar.hu/index.php3?stext=delorean&ID=0100

Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:51:28 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Ron, this would be some good photos for the mag, a story on concepts for the
new DeLorean!

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 02:54:56 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Another wierd thing you will see is some are held on with rivets and
some are held on with phillips head screws. On my car one door had
rivets and one door had screws! When I went into concours I took out
the rivets and put screws in. It is possible a previous owner may have
put the seal in wrong.

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 21:49:18 -0500
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

               Well, it's confirmed. My torsion bar broke about 2" in from the
end at the rear of the car. Now I'm just wondering about the drivers side
bar. I've had the car for over 5 years now and hardly ever have passengers
so my drivers side gets used more obviously. I guess I'll wait until it goes
before I worry about it. For those of you that have never heard one break
before, it is really loud, just about like a gunshot like Rob said.

                                  Jason #5903

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 20:53:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Bowman <cbowman3169_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: My DMC Joe Experience

Hello,

My name is Chris Bowman. I own Vin #3169. Some of you have expressed to me your interest in the status of my car and my problems with DMC Joe. For these reasons and because I depended heavily on this mailing list for information when I was trying to decide on a good mechanic to do work on my car; I am making this post and providing a link to a website with more detailed information.

My desire is that no one else should unknowingly stumble into a business relationship involving trust with Joe LoRe’ / DMC Joe.

The short story is, I shipped my car to Joe for repairs in 2000. I picked up the car in August 2004 and towed it back to Pittsburgh on a trailer behind a rented truck. Dan Plakosh and I worked on the car throughout the fall and winter of 2004-2005. I am happy to say my DeLorean is now finally in good shape. It was obvious to us that the majority of the parts and labor billed to my credit were not installed or performed. I made a claim against Joe in the Magistrate Court of Fayette County, Georgia for $8,796.70. Dan Plakosh and I testified in court on 5 May 2005. The judge found in my favor for $8,796.70 plus $66.00 court costs. I am now trying to recover my losses. I have had no response from my last letter to Joe dated 10 May 2005 requesting payment.

The bottom line with Joe LoRe’ is: “Buyer Beware”.

See http://www.geocities.com/cbowman3169/ to look at the documentation.

Best regards,
Chris Bowman

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:01:41 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Sealing transmission

Okay so now I'm confused, use the gaskets or not? I have Permatex
Hylomar sealant-isn't the Hylomar what they're sealed with from
factory? Since you guys have done this before, I won't use the
Hylomar; the last thing I want is a leaky trans. I couldn't find any
Anaerobic sealant (none of the auto stores carried it, and the local
parts stores wouldn't order it for me unless I got a case of 12!), but
I do have Permatex Black Silicon sealant, will that work instead of
the Hylomar? I didn't think the silicon could seal against oils for
extended periods of time, then again my Hylomar tube said it is only
oil *resistant*. What clearances will be affected from the gaskets?
Also do I use the silicon to seal the bolts that go through the case
halves as well or thread sealant or??? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:47:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: debra spurlin <dmspurlin_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: DOA mags

Hi!
It was my home you called regarding the back issues of the DeLorean World Magazine Special.  They have yet to go out as we have not received the 100 boxes I ordered as of yet.
They are supposed to arrive here around the 12th.  At that time Jon will be taking them to mail to all those who have signed up!  I now live with assembled sets across my living room on a tarp, and have one bedroom full of rows of magazines in order (it was over 3,000 pounds for Jon to transport them to our home from the storage facility.  There is nothing else we can do at this point.  He spent all of four days alone getting them here, organized, etc.  Then we have proceeded to type all the information into a list to start shipping them in the order for which they were received.
I wish problems, etc. would be directed directly to the board as he and I have been around for the 22 years of its existence.  I met several of you at Stephen's open house recently.  We do
not get paid, work harder than any paid position at times and receive lots of commentary behind our backs.  Not a good incentive to continue doing this.  Jon and I collectively have probable held just about every office, missed a couple.  But are pretty informed as to all that has transpired on ALL ends of the deal.
I hope this is taken in the positive light that I have written it in.  If you have any further questions or comments I would be happy to respond.
Debbie Spurlin

Videobob Moseley <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
Nope, still waiting and I was one of the first to do it.
- VB

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:45:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: All Birmingham owners!

Hey there,

  I am Jeremiah - owner of Vin #3299.  Long story
short, I evacuated from Pensacola with the ominous
hurricane Dennis expecting to hit my area soon.  I am
now in Birmingham,Al, with my DeLorean - hopefully
safely away from Dennis.  I know there are a couple
owners in the Birmingham area, so if anyone wants to
say "hey" and meet up/talk about DeLoreans or just
hang out, I'd welcome the opportunity.  With Dennis
ravaging the Gulf Coast area, I need something to take
my mind off of it, and I'd love to meet any owners
while I'm temporarily up here.  Email me off-list if
you want to meet up!

Jeremiah

Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:35:02 -0000
From: "my88mph" <my88mph_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: mode switch repair

    I am about to repair an air leak in my mode switch located below
the radio.  I am looking for any help to make this easier. How much
of the center console or dash has to be removed?
                                 Sincerely Dennis

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:42:49 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

If it was in the US, then increase that number to two. Paul Salsbury,
then owner of #6463 had his driver's torsion bar break for absolutely no
reason over night when the car was in his garage.

Martin

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:41:24 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: mode switch repair

I repaired my mode switch and here's what I did.

I removed the leather wrapped center console for ease of removal.
Remove the faceplate for the knobs (knobs come off first.)
Remove the retaining screws for the mode switch
In the area behind the radio there is a cluster of vacuum lines going into
the mode switch the part the lines are all going into seperates as a whole
from the mode switch back and can only fits one way for ease of reassembly.
Leave this cluster of lines dangling until reassembly.
I believe it is two screws that hold the mode switch together.  Remove the
screws.
There is also a small plastic clip in the center of the assembly...grip it
gently with Needle nose pliers and back it out (TRY NOT TO BREAK THAT OR YOU
NEED A NEW SWITCH.)
The large rubber seal which has a pattern on it that looks like a maze just
needs to be reseated and lightly lubricated on the side with the maze
pattern.
There are notches in the back of this seal to properly instal on the backing
plate.  Mine were broken off but that's okay.  One of the small rubber studs
that broke off was fatter than the other and it was easy to identify the
proper position.
I super glued mine down to the backing plate and lightly greased up the
front of the rubber seal with Dielectric grease.
Install is the reverse of removal.
This repair is essential because until this my windshield vents did not work
at all and I almost wrecked my car in the rain once because the windows
fogged immediately.  Once I did the repair all systems worked perfectly.
You'll hear a hissing sound if it's working properly as you select the
different functions.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:38:19 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "my88mph" <my88mph_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>>     I am about to repair an air leak in my mode switch located below
>> the radio.  I am looking for any help to make this easier. How much
>> of the center console or dash has to be removed?
>>                                  Sincerely Dennis

You don't actually have to remove a bunch of stuff for this repair.

You first pull the knobs off the controls for the climate control
panel and then remove the set screw that holds the climate control
faceplate in place. Note that this is a great time to replace any
burned out bulbs for the backlighting of the panel.

You then reach behind the center consle fromthe driver's footwell with
your left hand/arm and grab the rubber boot attached to the back of
the mode switch and pull the entire rubber boot off with all the hoses
still attached. The bot is such that it only fits on the mode switch
one way. Since you have to do this by feel, before pulling the boot
off, feel for the indexing bump cast into the outer rim of the boot
and take a mental note of its orientation (I think from the back it's
oriented approximately in the 11 o'clock position but my recollection
is a bit fuzzy).

After the boot is pulled off, you unscrew the mode switch from the
console from the front and pull it out from the back. Reinstallation
is the reverse process. Getting the bulbs at the bottom of the console
back into the bezel is a bit tedious - I guide them back into their
holders with some long needlenose pliers.

If you have gorilla hands/arms, then it might be clumsy to reach back
behind the console from the footwell, but I have not hadany particular
trouble doing so.

I got realy good at this procedure as a result of not using the proper
lubricant on the mode switch diaphragm. After trying about everything
I had in my shop and having the switch get gummy/sticky everythime, I
finnally found that a silicone spray lubricant worked best.

Good luck.

    Knut