Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2730
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
11 Jul 2005 18:39:19 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: DOA mags
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

2. Re: Re: Sealing transmission
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

3. Re: Door Bang/Snap
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: Sealing transmission
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Exotics Cruising Vermont July 23rd
From: "corkeroni" <jefftorrey_at_dml_Comcast.net>

6. Grady solution for weeping manual transmission axel seals
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

7. Summer Fun Run Update
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. DeLorean spotted on 95 South near Washington DC
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

9. RE: Grady solution for weeping manual transmission axel seals
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: mode switch repair
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Grilling with a DeLorean
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

12. solution for weeping manual transmission axel seals
From: "vanisland03" <vjca_at_dml_telus.net>

13. De Lorean dealers in Texas
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

14. Re: Grady solution for weeping manual transmission axel seals
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re: To all Maryland DMC Owners
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

16. Re: Tachometer Failure
From: "Jason K. Lindelof" <nofear365_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Wheel refinishing in New England.
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

18. RE: My DMC Joe Experience
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

19. Re: 2005
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Grady solution for weeping manual transmission axel seals
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. RE: Re: Sealing transmission
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

22. RE: Wheel refinishing in New England.
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

23. RE: Grady solution for weeping manual transmission axel seals
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

24. Delorean Time Machine at Universal
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

25. Re: Wheel refinishing in New England.
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:59:29 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: DOA mags

Communicating back when people have questions is always a positive
thing. However, and maybe I'm wrong here, but I seem to really detect
a negative tone in your post.

I for one would understand if perhaps you didn't have all the
materials together. Sometimes people run into unforseen delays. I
know I have in the past with both personal, and professional
projects. But I've a bit of concern about a couple things you wrote:

"I wish problems, etc. would be directed directly to the board as he
and I have been around for the 22 years of its existence."
<SNIP>
"We do not get paid, work harder than any paid position at times and
receive lots of commentary behind our backs.  Not a good incentive to
continue doing this."

WOAH! Wait a second there! No one was even remotely criticizing you,
or anyone else from the DOA. One person asked if anyone who took
advantage of your offer for these magazines, had recieved their
copies yet. To this question, there were 3 responses. 2 people
responded back and said that they had not recieved anything yet. But
that third response had stated that yes, they had recieved
everything. This was a very civilized conversation, that had no
negative aspects. As a matter of fact, no where in it did anyone say
that they were even unhappy at all. No where at all was it directed
twords the DOA, or any of it's representatives. So even if there was
anything negative that could have been said, none of these questions
were directed twords the DOA, hence why nothing was sent directly to
the Board of Directors of the DOA. This was a simple conversation.

Now, I'm really sorry that you felt that this was "Not a good
incentive to continue doing this." In the contexts of which I assume
you mean yourself serving the memebers who have paid money to join
your organization. With said "negative incentives" being the fact
that said members were able to freely converse and exchange ideas and
words outside the arena of your moderation and control. And if I have
misunderstood any of this, please help me to gain clarification.
Because that last statement certainly sounded to me like some sort of
a threat...

Now just as you said; "I hope this is taken in the positive light
that I have written it in.", so do I share this same vision about
what I have written. However, I will be more explicit as to the
meaning and purpose of my message here.

On the DOA's webpage, they explicitly state that the clubs mission is
as follows:

"The purpose of the Association is to act as a social organization to
provide members the opportunity to meet and communicate information
about the DeLorean marque."

Fine. But this is how WE, the new generation of DeLorean owners
communicate. We are apart of the digital revolution. We utilize e-
mail, as well as near-real time message boards such as the DML right
here. If you want the new generation of DeLorean owners to join with
you, then it's going to have to be a shared responsability. We'll
adapt to your club with membership dues and participation, as these
are your needs. But the DOA will also need to adapt to the new
members as well. Namely that being public debate. These are our needs
that the DOA will need to adapt to. Both the new members that you
recently signed up, and prospective ones such as myself.

So far, I still don't seen an incentive to join, let alone any
positive changes that would reflect the needs I have, for a club to
provide for me.

22 years is quite a bit of dedication, and admirable. I've been
communicating off-list with a few fellow DML'ers about bridging
the "generation gap" of DeLorean owners. Old school vs. new school.
And so far, it's been quite facinating. But I can tell you now, if
I've learned a thing so far, it's been that we ALL need to compromise
on some things.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, debra spurlin <dmspurlin_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>> Hi!
>> It was my home you called regarding the back issues of the DeLorean

World Magazine Special.  They have yet to go out as we have not
received the 100 boxes I ordered as of yet.

>> They are supposed to arrive here around the 12th.  At that time Jon

will be taking them to mail to all those who have signed up!  I now
live with assembled sets across my living room on a tarp, and have
one bedroom full of rows of magazines in order (it was over 3,000
pounds for Jon to transport them to our home from the storage
facility.  There is nothing else we can do at this point.  He spent
all of four days alone getting them here, organized, etc.  Then we
have proceeded to type all the information into a list to start
shipping them in the order for which they were received.

>> I wish problems, etc. would be directed directly to the board as he

and I have been around for the 22 years of its existence.  I met
several of you at Stephen's open house recently.  We do

>> not get paid, work harder than any paid position at times and

receive lots of commentary behind our backs.  Not a good incentive to
continue doing this.  Jon and I collectively have probable held just
about every office, missed a couple.  But are pretty informed as to
all that has transpired on ALL ends of the deal.

>> I hope this is taken in the positive light that I have written it

in.  If you have any further questions or comments I would be happy
to respond.

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:02:10 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: Sealing transmission

If there were gaskets on a joint when the gearbox was built, it
should be rebuilt with gaskets at that joint.  The designers
factor in that thickness when designing the 'box.  If the
gasket is not in place, then the tolerances tighten up.

Hylomar is the blue stuff.  There is a red permatex anaerobic
sealant that can be used on gasketless and gasketed joints.
I can't for the life of me remeber what it is and I can't run out
to the garage and look as it's half a world away.   I've purchased
it at NAPA, so that might be an alternative for you.  If I think
of it, I'll post again...

-------------- Original message from "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>: --------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:06:48 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Door Bang/Snap

I had a passenger side torsion bar snap on me too. Right where it
passes by the rear hinge. I suspect it got scratched rubing against
the hinge. I strongly suggest everyone get a small piece of old inner
tube about 1"x2" and slip it in bewteen the torsion bar and the rear
hinge on BOTH doors. At least it was the PASSENGER side bar! They do
die with a loud noise. I have also seen the torsion bars on Chryslers
front suspensions snap. When they go they can shoot out from under the
car and go for a city block! Sounds like a small bomb!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_t...> wrote:

>>                Well, it's confirmed. My torsion bar broke about 2"

in from the

>> end at the rear of the car. Now I'm just wondering about the drivers

side

>> bar. I've had the car for over 5 years now and hardly ever have

passengers

>> so my drivers side gets used more obviously. I guess I'll wait until

it goes

>> before I worry about it. For those of you that have never heard one

break

>> before, it is really loud, just about like a gunshot like Rob said.
>>
>>                                   Jason #5903

look at the

repairs

purposefully

the case try

people who

passenger

of the

with your

your newly

shooting

of course

you find?

Behalf Of

going to be

it when I

snap

First

over to the

thought maybe it

 Any

www.dmcnews.com

7/6/2005

7/8/2005

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:01:04 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Sealing transmission

The Permatex will be fine. You can use it anywhere and everywhere. Do
not use or make gaskets between the case halves. The clearances are
set up to be without the thickness of a gasket. Just make sure on the
tube it says "Sensor Safe". The Hylomar is what is recommended but I
found it does not seal well. It never dries hard but the gear oil does
seem to leak through it. Silicone has always worked for me. Just be
sure that the sealing surfaces are flat, clean, and smooth.

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:04:55 -0000
From: "corkeroni" <jefftorrey_at_dml_Comcast.net>
Subject: Exotics Cruising Vermont July 23rd

Anyone in the NH/CT/MA/VT area that is interested in Running with other
area Lotus/NSX/Viper/Porsche/Pantera your welcome to join us on a
scenic ride through the countryside of Vermont.

e-mail me for details jeff_at_dml_neviperclub.org

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:41:28 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Grady solution for weeping manual transmission axel seals

I'm on a campaign to stamp out every last tiny drip from my car as I
cann't stand a shop floor with spots on it. I have a weeping manual
transmission axel seal that leaves about a drop per day on my floor
that I'm keen to correct.

Aside from replacing the transmission lip seal, I believe someone told
me that Rob Grady has some sort of sleeve that is used to improve the
tighness of the seal in order to provide a bullet-proof long-term
solution.

Does anyone have additional details on this? I think Rob posts
occasionally, so maybe he can explain what this sleeve is, how it
works, and how it's installed? If someone else has experience with
this, I'd appreciate your insights.

Thanks in advance.

     Knut

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:53:55 -0400
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Summer Fun Run Update

If you're planning on attending the Summer Fun Run II this Saturday,
please take note of the following items:

1.  The meeting spot will be outside the Home Depot parking area at
the Palisades Center Mall.

2.  Bringing a folding-chair is highly recommended as seating may be
very limited.  The park has a huge field, so a beach towel would be
great as well.

3.  Frisbees, footballs and any other outdoor fun things are definitly
welcome at the park.

4.  Don't forget sunscreen!

This event is going to be awesome and a real classic summer event.  I
hope everyone can make it.  Don't forget the event is free to all
Delorean MidAtlantic members!

See you there.

-Aaron Crocco

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:39:02 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean spotted on 95 South near Washington DC

Hello All:

I spotted a  DeLorean sitting in 95 south traffic near the USMC/FBI/Quantico
Base on Friday  07-08-05, approximately 2:30pm. Anyone here?

Sincerely,

Mike Pack

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:08:26 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Knut, I'm not for sure what Rob has, but what ever you use, use a double lip
lip seal as I have with the 80mm O Ring.
John Hervey
\

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:27:19 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: mode switch repair

On 7/10/05, Jeff Friday <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com> wrote:

>> There is also a small plastic clip in the center of the assembly...grip it
>> gently with Needle nose pliers and back it out (TRY NOT TO BREAK THAT OR
>> YOU NEED A NEW SWITCH.)

Nahhh... DMCH sells those little plastic clips along with new "rubber
maze" things. Not sure if you can buy the clips all by themselves, but
even if you can't the maze/clip combo meal is a lot cheaper than a
whole new switch.

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 00:52:50 -0500
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Grilling with a DeLorean

Fans of FoodTV's "Good Eats" will appreciate this one, as will owners
of stainless-steel gas grills.

Yesterday at a local mall, I stood in line for a couple of hours to get
Alton Brown to sign my copy of his latest book.  I also needed to give
him a piece of my mind, since one of his episodes referred to a hapless
outdoor griller as a man who "seemed to be having trouble with his
DeLorean".  Bah!

So as my book was being signed, I told him that I "love the show, but
I'm mad that you made a quip about my car."  His puzzled look prompted
me to add "I have a DeLorean".  After considering that for a moment, he
smiled and said "Everyone who owns a DeLorean has a sense of humor."

And you know what...he's right!  A DeLorean owner without a sense of
humor is very unhappy person indeed.  So, yuk it up, kids!

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:44:26 -0000
From: "vanisland03" <vjca_at_dml_telus.net>

Knut. I had leaks in my axels also. Both output flanges were really
rough in the seal area. I went to my friendly bearing dealer and he
got me a pair of "speedi-sleeves" made by Chicago Rawhide It is part
#99165. Take your flange with you just to make sure. They go on very
eazy they are also made of stainless. Have gone about 3,000 miles and
not a drop to be seen. Like you I hate oil drops on the floor.
 Take care.
Vic

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:12:38 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: De Lorean dealers in Texas

Hello.
Can anyone give me a list of De Lorean dealers in Texas back in 1981? I am trying to get information on my car, and I suppose this is where I should start!

Thanks
Thomas Mc Auley
Vin #4087
Belfast

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:13:05 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Basically, after years of rotation in the lip seal, the axle flange wears down a
bit. Grady sells a thin metal collar that you (gently) hammer onto the flange.
This beefs up the thickness enough to provide a good seal, not to mention if it
ever wears down again you can cut it off and install another collar.

I bought it. Worked for me and it's much cheaper than a new axle flange. Word
on the street is, if you install a new seal without replacing the flange or collar
you'll have a leak anyway.

Rich A.

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:16:47 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: To all Maryland DMC Owners

According to the Maryland MVA website, you can obtain Historic plates if:

The car is 25 years old or older OR if the manufacturer has gone out of
business and the model is no longer being built. This is how I got my plates.

Because the average MVA clerk doesn't know their own job, I printed the
relevant rules out from the website, then printed out a news article from the
web detailing how the DMC plant shut down for the final time and went into
receivership.

Hope this helps,

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_y...>

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:42:21 -0000
From: "Jason K. Lindelof" <nofear365_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tachometer Failure

OK, so on Saturday I decided to play with the car abit and try to
narrow down why my tach isn't working.  This is a bit difficult to
explain but I'll do my best.

With the engine cover up, my friend and I were looking around.  He
was just getting familiar with the engine and where everything is.
Upon doing that, he was curious about what the "grey circle" in the
front of the engine was.  I showed him that it was for the throttle
cable and how at WOT the cable triggers the WOT switch.  Anyways, I
guess he was intriuged by this and decided (with the car off) to
rotate the "grey circle" to emulate WOT.  Later on, I start the car...

Right away noticed something was wrong.  The engine was racing and
it's NEVER done this before.  BUT - my tach is working!!!  It's the
first time the tach has ever worked for me!  My friend tightened a
few grounds here and there but it doesn't explain why the engine is
racing.  I shut the car off and go back to the engine bay.  It turns
out when he emulated the wide open throttle earlier, the throttle
cable got bound up on the "grey circle" so when I started the car, it
was already pulling the throttle a bit.

Here's the strange part.  Once I found that the cable was bound up, I
fixed it and started the car up with a nice low idle...  tach is dead
again though.   :-(   What gives???

Very confusing...

Jay

>> Weird behavoir like this usually indicates a bad conection

somehere.

>> The usual culptits are the ground connections but with the dash the
>> point the plugs go into the flexible printed circuits can also

cause

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:54:08 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Wheel refinishing in New England.

I am thinking about getting my wheels refinished and possibly
polished.  My original finish is chipping, and brake dust has darkened
the interior detail.  I've seen some wheel shops on the internet that
charge over $150 per wheel.  Does anyone know of some machine shops or
garages that might refinish wheels for a lot cheaper in Massachusetts
or surrounding area?

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:58:40 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: My DMC Joe Experience

 Not long ago Joe Lore AKA "DMC" Joe was a fixture on the both the DML and
DMC Forum dispensing a lot of good advice with a friendly and calm demeanor.
My guess is he became a DML favorite and Chris may receive some flak in
defense of Joe. IMHO "DMC" Joe" used this trusted position to separate
people from their money in ways that a court of law would find illegal. I
too trusted Joe at one time and even loaned him several thousand dollars
worth of DeLorean parts so he could perform repairs at the DCS in Cleveland
2000. He still owes my business about two thousand dollars and has made no
attempt to pay this and other debts he owes to various people. At one point
his own son said to me that Joe owes him "Ten Thousand Dollars"! The worst
way to get ripped off is by somebody with a smile on their face while
they're doing it. In short "DMC Joe" is a con artist who does not deserve
anybodies trust. I promised Chris Bowman I'd back him up both in court and
on the DMC Yahoo groups should he decide to post about his experience's with
Joe Lore and I hope this puts to bed any claims against the validity of his
remarks. I know Chris' statements to be true and correct. I know Joe had
some very unfortunate personal problems and that's why I cut him some slack
for years before my patience wore out. The time has come for the leopard to
show his spots. Am I wrong Joe?

Rob Grady

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:14:06 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

This is what we use in the shop at P.J.Grady's.

1. Trans. case housing (half's only) Anearobic Sealer
   	We use a German supplier who sells to the trades only but I believe
Permatex/Loctite sells it's equivalent #51531 50ML Tube

2. Trans. end cover and bellhsg
	NOS Gasket with Hilomar or high temp. silicone

3. Trans. case 12m bolts The manual specifies bolt #1 (F:06:04) bolt's #1&2
	High temp silicone

4. Oil Seals (To sleeve or not to sleeve...that is the question?)
	When necessary we install a stainless sleeve on the axle yokes as it
provides a slightly tighter fit and is rust and wear resistant. The original
seal has a felt outer ring to absorb grease but tends to dry out and hold
water thereby destroying the sealing surface and the seal. The primary shaft
can also be sleeved but it is not usually necessary.

Rob Grady

<jtrealty_at_dml_w...>: --------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:05:41 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Wheel refinishing in New England.

Paul,

We offer powder-coated wheels for $125.00 per wheel (Plus a core charge) and
the freight cost from N.Y. to Mass. should not be excessive.

Rob Grady

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:54:55 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Knut,

Please see my post to Dani B. or give us a call. The sleeve comes with an
installation tool with which you tap it on with a hammer but is easy to
damage if not carefully installed we now offer this as a reconditioned part
we have cadmium plated before installing the sleeve for rust prevention and
identification purposes. So far as I know this is a 100% effective
cure...sometimes even brand new axle flanges will leak due to the amount of
play in the spider gears.

The part #'s & cost's are as follows:

1. 114216G Axle Flange Sleeve, Stainless $40.00

2. 110539RS  Recond. Axle Flange (Cad. Plated w/stainless sleeve) $79.95
(Plus $40.00 core)

3. 104216G Axle Seal (OEM) $24.41

Rob Grady

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.12/46 - Release Date: 7/11/2005 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 24 Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:58:10 -0700 From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com> Subject: Delorean Time Machine at Universal Knut et al... I stopped by the tram garage on Saturday on the Universal backlot - and got some info on the Delorean picture care they have parked there. Vin 05061 Manufactured Oct. 81 Grey interior Manual Transmission creased hood with no gas flap or gas flap crease I didn't think at the time to check the odometer. Funny thing is that the chronology lists it as an automatic. Guess I'll need to take a closer look. I didn't look for a clutch pedal - just the shifter - I guess its possible they redressed the automatic shifter to look like a 5 speed? Tom Tait 10902 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 25 Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:26:49 -0500 From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com> Subject: Re: Wheel refinishing in New England. Search around for a local racing, modding, or other type of auto enthusiast site. For example, in Memphis, the local "racing scene" forum site is The Place for that type of information, and I've gotten good answers to a lot of those types of questions. --Greg #2894 On 7/11/05, sweetp01569 <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com> wrote: