Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2731
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
11 Jul 2005 21:43:29 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Delorean Time Machine at Universal
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Ignorant DJ
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. RE: Delorean Time Machine at Universal
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

4. Weeping manual transmission axel seals
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

5. Re: Wheel refinishing in New England.
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

6. DOA Mag
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. RE: Ignorant DJ
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Ignorant DJ
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Re: Wheel refinishing in New England.
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

10. Re: Ignorant DJ
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

11. Re: Ignorant DJ
From: Me <fleetofworlds_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. AC System oil
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

13. Wacky tach still
From: "ironranger7012" <kvlauhala_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: DOA Mag
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

15. RE: Ignorant DJ
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

16. Possible cooling problem?
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:44:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Time Machine at Universal

... Or this may have been the DeLorean they did an
engine swap on for BTTF 3..

Maybe they also put the 5-speed in because the knew
they would be beating on it??

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:09:32 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Ignorant DJ

Just wanted to rant...  I had my car at a car show yesterday, and everything was cool.
Then, there was an older Volkswagon that pulled into the lot, but died out when it got
in.  The DJ who was playing music and whatnot went on the microphone and said
something like "Uh oh!  Looks like that VW is suffering from DeLorean syndrome!"  I
was, needless to say, pissed.  I went up to him and started to give him the what's
what.  He brushed it off, saying that because I am only 22, I am too young to
remember anything about DeLoreans back then and how they died ALL THE TIME.  I
got really upset and started getting into technical facts to back myself up.  When I
saw it had no effect, I just told him not to bash cars over the microphone, esspecially
when there is one of those cars in the show.  Then I walked away.  God...  It made me
angry.  Sorry... just blowing some steam.  Anyone else have any other or similar
experiences?
Cheers,
Corey

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:17:13 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

I knew it was different!!!  Go to :
http://sacketmansion.com/delorean/page4.html

It is my site from my honeymoon in 1997 where I had a back lot photo shoot
and took some real good pix.  Notice how bad a shape it was in then.  I can
only guess they put it somewhere else and had the other one shipped in
somewhere between 1997 and present.  The Universal one now is only a static
display when it is open to the public, perched atop some base part making it
look like it is flying.

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl
DMC Vin 03461
Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:21:42 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: Weeping manual transmission axel seals

Knut,

I think what you may need is a "Speedy Sleeve" shaft sleeve to repair the
grooved area of the shaft.

A Bearing and Seal Supplier such as Motion Industries should have what you
need.

A Speedy sleeve is a thin metal sleeve that goes over the original shaft.

You may need to change the ID of the shaft seal to allow for the increased
shaft diameter.

Also, when you install the lip seal, use a sealant between the lip seal and
the transmission.

Scott Mueller 002981

6. Grady solution for weeping manual transmission axel seals
           From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:41:28 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Grady solution for weeping manual transmission axel seals

I'm on a campaign to stamp out every last tiny drip from my car as I
cann't stand a shop floor with spots on it. I have a weeping manual
transmission axel seal that leaves about a drop per day on my floor
that I'm keen to correct.

Aside from replacing the transmission lip seal, I believe someone told
me that Rob Grady has some sort of sleeve that is used to improve the
tighness of the seal in order to provide a bullet-proof long-term
solution.

Does anyone have additional details on this? I think Rob posts
occasionally, so maybe he can explain what this sleeve is, how it
works, and how it's installed? If someone else has experience with
this, I'd appreciate your insights.

Thanks in advance.

     Knut

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:39:31 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel refinishing in New England.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, <rob_at_dml_p...> wrote:
Thanks Rob,

Where are they on your web site? I only saw the online parts list,
where the wheel costs ranged between $450 and $513 for replacement
wheels.

>> Paul,
>>
>> We offer powder-coated wheels for $125.00 per wheel (Plus a core

charge) and

>> the freight cost from N.Y. to Mass. should not be excessive.
>>
>> Rob Grady

Behalf Of

>> sweetp01569
>> Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 9:54 AM
>> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: [DML] Wheel refinishing in New England.
>>
>> I am thinking about getting my wheels refinished and possibly
>> polished.  My original finish is chipping, and brake dust has

darkened

>> the interior detail.  I've seen some wheel shops on the internet

that

>> charge over $150 per wheel.  Does anyone know of some machine

shops or

>> garages that might refinish wheels for a lot cheaper in

Massachusetts

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:55:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DOA Mag

Funny, I read Debs post as negative, especially with the comment at the end of her post......
Just my .02

Tom Watkins
#005732

Deb Wrote:
I hope this is taken in the positive light that I have written it in.
If you have any further questions or comments I would be happy to
respond.
Debbie Spurlin

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:24:24 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Ignorant DJ

Pull his plug and give him some dead air....see how he likes it.
- VB

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:25:11 +0100
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>

To be honest I can see the funny side.. at least he didn't mention
that it was made of aluminium or that it had "crap handling".

-- ------------------------------------ Mike Green Software architect DOC 427 MSN: mikeyturbouk_at_dml_hotmail.com ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 9 Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:25:40 -0500 From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com> Subject: Re: Wheel refinishing in New England. Greg, Are you in Memphis, TN? I'm there. Working every free minute on my #2034. Lingo #2034 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Zapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com> To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 1:26 PM Subject: Re: [DML] Wheel refinishing in New England.

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:27:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

What??  A stupid FM DJ??  This is new!   :-)

I sure understand how this pisses you off --especially on the air.  I hate when these know-it-alls talk about something they know nothing about (a trait common amongst most talentless DJs).  This is one of those situations where you really just have to consider the source.  If it makes you feel any better, you could probably buy and sell that guy!

Jake Kamphoefner and 1063
-Glad I switched to MIS from broadcasting in college after seeing the light!

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:37:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Me <fleetofworlds_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Unfortunately Deloreans suffer from constant
mechanical and electrical problems. Many of which can
become serious safety hazards. So the DJ was not
completely off the target but he shouldnt be saying it
over the mic. I am sorry to say that unless I can
muster the nerve to switch engines and rework all the
systems on the whole car I will never buy another
DeLorean.

--- coreysmoo <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Just wanted to rant...  I had my car at a car show
>> yesterday, and everything was cool.
>> Then, there was an older Volkswagon that pulled into
>> the lot, but died out when it got
>> in.  The DJ who was playing music and whatnot went
>> on the microphone and said
>> something like "Uh oh!  Looks like that VW is
>> suffering from DeLorean syndrome!"  I
>> was, needless to say, pissed.  I went up to him and
>> started to give him the what's
>> what.  He brushed it off, saying that because I am
>> only 22, I am too young to
>> remember anything about DeLoreans back then and how
>> they died ALL THE TIME.  I
>> got really upset and started getting into technical
>> facts to back myself up.  When I
>> saw it had no effect, I just told him not to bash
>> cars over the microphone, esspecially
>> when there is one of those cars in the show.  Then I
>> walked away.  God...  It made me
>> angry.  Sorry... just blowing some steam.  Anyone
>> else have any other or similar
>> experiences?
>> Cheers,
>> Corey
>> 2423
>>

>> To address comments privately to the moderating
>> team, please address:
>> moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>>
>> For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for
>> sale see www.dmcnews.com

>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>

>>     dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

Sell on Yahoo! Auctions  no fees. Bid on great items.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:40:19 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>
Subject: AC System oil

Hi Folks,

I am doing some extensive work on my air conditioning. I am needing to
know about the adding of regrigerant oil to a completely flushed and
cleaned out system.  I am staying with R12.

Assuming a system totally cleaned out, a new accumulator, new orifice,
new evaporator, all oil drained from the compressor, how much oil is
placed in the compressor opening and how much is pushed into the rest
of the system? I have read 6 ounces, but I am uncertain where it goes.

Thanks in advance,

Marty
& vin 03765 aka mobile sauna

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:02:04 -0000
From: "ironranger7012" <kvlauhala_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Wacky tach still

Thanks all for the possible cures but to no avail.  I checked and
cleaned all of my grounds with contact cleaner.  Took the dash out,
cleaned all connections likewise; took the tach out and cleaned the
tach connections under the nuts. Used my volt-ohmeter and checked
continutity with all conections on the tach. Put it all together and
checked ALL connections. Started the car up and put my service tach
on and it read 775 rpm at idle. The car tach read 1200  100rpm.
Reved it up to 2500 on the service tach and the car tach was reading
4000  200 rpm. I checked continuity from the coil to the tach
connection in the dash. (.1 ohm) Checked tach lead to ground (25.5
ohms) Everything seems to be ok except for the wacky tach.  Makes me
wonder if this new one I bought and have been putting up with is
just a POS.
This car is in very good condition, all original, always maintained
by me. I have the complete history. I drive 2k - 3k a year. Always
garaged.  When I heard others having problems with grounds and
connections I checked everything and all mine look just like new.
The only thing I've added is a CSS-100 cruise control.
Oh, by the way, I was over talking to Ryan Wright a week or so ago
and I recall someone talking about the front license plate.  I have
mine mounted just below the bumper ridge with a sst piano hinge so
it allows air to flow into the radiator.
Again, thanks all

Vic 7012

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:19:06 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DOA Mag

To all:  I was away when this topic surfaced and thought it best to  wait
until I returned home to comment.  I have not received my magazines  either.  I
paid the funds on June 3, 2005 and on June 28  a reply was  received to an
e-mail that I had sent on June 8, 2005 that told me he would be  sending out the
magazines the first week of July.  Today is July 11 and  still no magazines.
That is just poor customer relations.  The line  "we are unpaid and work twice
as hard", etc is no excuse. Awaiting  boxes?  Must be no Staples or Office Max
around there.  I'm trying to  keep an open mind but it is becoming difficult.
Still no "membership kit"
or number.  Roy #0893

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:17:10 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

I love these posts with no names on them.  This person is with out a
doubt the dumbest person I have ever met.  I have restored or worked on
a dozen D's and have never had a problem with electrical with the
exception of one slightly melted fuse box.  This was caused by someone
trying to jump it incorrectly.

The company is not in business so it is up to us and Rob and Steve and
the others to fix the few problems that occur.  These are far fewer than
my Ford that has had three recalls and is impossible to work on.

Sell me your D and I will make it a sweet ride for someone who
appreciates a fine ride.

Jack

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:21:54 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Possible cooling problem?

Hi
My cooling fans arent coming on until the temperature needle is slightly below 220. On a friends De Lorean, the stage at which the fans come on is much lower. Is the thermostat faulty?
The car doesnt overheat, but its very close. The coolant level is normal and there are no leaks.

Thanks
Thomas Mc Auley
Vin #4087
Belfast