Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2733
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
12 Jul 2005 18:06:09 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Re: Ignorant DJ
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

2. hvac unit
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

3. Abandon the spare?
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

4. Whats YOUR mileage?? (Was Ignorant DJ)
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

5. Re: Possible cooling problem?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

6. Re: mode switch repair
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

7. RE: Possible cooling problem?
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

8. RE: Cooling. Something to think about.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. Re: Whats YOUR mileage?? (Was Ignorant DJ)
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

10. RE: hvac unit
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. RE: Abandon the spare?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. Re: "Back To The Future" screening (Chicago area)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

13. RE: Abandon the spare?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. RE: Abandon the spare?
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

15. RE: Abandon the spare?
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

16. Re: Whats YOUR mileage?? (Was Ignorant DJ)
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. DOA magazines
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. DOA MAGS
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Possible cooling problem?
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

20. Re: Extended Convex Mirrors - please read if you got them
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Chicago
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Grilling with a DeLorean
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

23. Re: Possible cooling problem?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: Extended Convex Mirrors - please read if you got them
From: "Brandon" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Still Wacky
From: "ironranger7012" <kvlauhala_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:44:53 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Ignorant DJ

I am so sick of misinformed people.  The reason we have thousands of
"repair" shops around the world is the simple fact that cars break down.
When the crap common car breaks down, no one pays attention.  When your
Delorean breaks down, then John delorean himself poorly designed his car.

I agree with the other people in that my car, once the reversible damage
done to it by the previous owners (mostly from buying inferior aftermarket
parts) is corrected,  the car runs perfect and problem-free for many years.
Also a good point that has been stated over and over again, is that our cars
only had 2 model years.  Hardly enough time to work the kinks out.  But
honestly after PJ Grady and other delorean vendors and friends fixed my car
in 2000, she runs beautiful. Again you have to know what you are doing.
This is why I thank god for my friend Harold every day.  He has helped me so
much with my car when I felt really angry only because I lacked the
knowledge  and patience.  Harold is my Delorean Yoda.  Unfortunately with my
bad back, I cannot carry him.

Let me state again.  Use your vendors and service providers and stop trying
to save 25 cents on struts or other parts.  Use the originals, or even
better use the improved parts.  Enough of my 3 cents.

Joseph M.

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 02:50:51 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>
Subject: hvac unit

Well, it was bound to happen. In the restoration of my car I have had
everything apart for cleaning / restoration with the exception of the
climate unit. Now after a lot of sweat and contortioned limbs I have
it out and apart on my bench. Pulling the engine was easier(IMHO).

What a mess! I had detected a small leak in the evaporator which I
intended to replace. I ordered up John Hervey's kit. After the
difficulty of getting the climate unit out, I ordered a NOS heater
core from DMCH. (I support ALL of the vendors:)

Now I am looking at a bunch of rusted flaps with no foam attached
anywhere. I intend to coat all the metal parts with POR15. I am
wondering what others have done to replace the foam? I was thinking
about using headliner material which has a foam backing, but am
unsure
what the downside might be. I would install it with the clot side
against the metal and the foam out. Opinions?

Marty Galbreath

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:07:09 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>
Subject: Abandon the spare?

I presently have my stereo amplifier in the passenger's footwell,
covered by my nice DMCH floormat. This is certainly not an ideal
location - heat, untidy wiring, reduced legroom, etc.

I originally had installed it in a beautiful custom panel behind the
parcel shelf along with my new rear speakers. But that location
proved
unusable due to the fact that the distributor is only about 8 inches
away through a fiberglass wall, and the RFI was impossible to
overcome.

Now I have my ac/heater unit out and have been looking towards
moving the amp to the trunk. The front wall is right there, nice and
bare and wiring through it would be easy. The amp is too large to
fit beneath the spare as others have done. So I was wondering how
may of you have removed the spare to get more trunk room? Would
carrying a small compressor or Fix-a-flat or both suffice in most
instances of a flat tire? In 32 years
of driving I have yet to have a flat tire while on the road. (I'm
sure it will happen tomorrow now) I'm looking for reassurance here.

Please voice your opinions about driving sans spare.

Thanks,

Marty Galbreath

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:24:33 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Whats YOUR mileage?? (Was Ignorant DJ)

Engine is still young compared to a 150 thousand, but mine's about to
click 70,000...still runs like a champ even after many years of
sitting, and no doubt it will stay alive for a looong time. I tell
yah, now that I think about it, this engine has been great. 5003
never left me stranded, hasn't leaked out all over the ground...it
ran a bit rough when I first got it but the cure was DRIVING IT!
What's YOUR mileage?? -----Dani B. #5003

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_f...> wrote:

>> Ah...that must be why I use my 175,000 mile DeLorean as a daily

driver,

>> and haven't had any issues that weren't "self imposed" in over 5

years.

>> That must be all those mechanical and electrical problems that keep

it

>> going!  I'll make sure it doesn't find out about them.  It might

pull

>> one of those Warner Bros cartoon like things, where it suddenly

just

>> falls apart when it realizes it.
>>
>> The PRV engine is probably one of the most reliable engines ever

built.

>> I'd even venture to ask:  Has anyone on this mailing list has ever

had

>> an issue with their factory original PRV with less than 150,000

miles on

>> it, that wasn't related to poor care and/or lack of regular

scheduled

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:37:17 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Possible cooling problem?

220 is not overheating, although it seems a little high.  If your
system can hold 15 lbs pressure for any length of time, your
boiling point is closer to 250 degrees.

The thermostat does not control the fans - the otterstat does.  That's
the switch in the coolant pipe on the left-hand side of the engine bay.

-------------- Original message from Soma576_at_dml_aol.com: --------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:09:37 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: mode switch repair

Well I'm glad they sell a replacement for that thing.  I was under the
impression if you broke it you were hosed and would have to buy a new
switch.

The new "maze" seals are nice to have but I've often found the "mazes" to be
in good reusable shape but you still can't beat a NEW part!

Jeff

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:08:07 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

In my experience it's the Otterstat that can solve this problem.  Special T
Auto has 3 different varieties.  They vary in what temp they turn on.  Check
em out on the website for more info.

Jeff in NC

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:11:48 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Cooling. Something to think about.

Thomas,
I know this post is a little late and you have a lot of answers. I would
like to say again like I did a month or so ago.
The otterstat is a very simple switch that is activated by the coolant
temperature.  When the coolant temperature is reached the otterstat in the
back of the car it closes the contacts and completes the circuit and the
fans come on.
The engine to me is designed for the normal operating temperature of the
thermostat which is 87C or ( 189 degree F )because it is the closest to
where the heat is generated and then when it opens the coolant flows thru
the radiator for cooling.
The temperature sensor for the gauge is mounted on the rear of the passenger
head in the engine and by the time the coolant turns on the radiator fans
via the otterstat  then the coolant may be a little hotter but still within
engine range.
The otterstat switch my be delayed in opening because it needs to be
replaced due to age or air in the line. I have not had any reported trends
in failure.
Like Rob said: use the 97C otterstat and the correct thermostat 87C and with
no air in the lines and no trash like leaves or debris between the condenser
and the radiator and you will be fine. My wife's car fans were set to come
on at 210 degrees. It has a digital read out which took a while to get used
to.
I designed a about 2 or 3 years ago a variable temperature sensor that would
make some adjustments in the delay on and off of the cooling fans and then
tie it into The Fan Fix 2 but because the new otterstat were doing so good
and no one reporting problems in cooling due to a failing component I
stopped with the work. If that is something people want then I can go ahead
and build it and tie in. But it won't solve the problem of a bad radiator,
blockage or thermostat.
I do have a 92C otterstat that will turn on a little sooner, but keep in
mind that the engine has to reach an operating temperature to perform
properly. Cooling it down quicker isn't always the best thing.

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:13:24 -0500
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Whats YOUR mileage?? (Was Ignorant DJ)

It's really cool to hear of these mileage masters.

My D recently passed 36,400 miles, and I hope to keep finding the time
to improve and care for the systems to keep it going well past 100k!
The most miles I have put on it so far in one shot is when I flew down
to Atlanta to pay for it (_at_dml_35,000mi) and drove it back to the Chicago
area.  Was a great way to learn if the car had any odd
behaviours/quirks.  Drove beautifully.

My intent is to keep it going as a seasonal daily driver once I get the
A/C optimized.

Regards,
Wayne / VIN#2447
www.AA9DY.com

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:24:06 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: hvac unit

Group and Marty,
Thanks for the order and I will have new heater cores shortly. If you need
any kind of rubber I have a great supplier here in Dallas that I can go over
and get whatever you need if I don't already have it. Thick, thin, dense or
denser open cell or closed cell.
I use a non moisture absorbent barrier between the closed cell rubber foam
mounted on the core and between it and the walls of the box.
Try not to use anything that would or might hold moisture because of mold.

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:36:34 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Abandon the spare?

Marty,
I forgot. In my earlier Corvette days we had covers that went over the
ignition distributors to block the RFI. Might try some of the Corvette
dealers for a cover or give me a call for other try's.

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:10:35 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: "Back To The Future" screening (Chicago area)

"Back to the Big Screen" - Back to the Future turns 20 years old!!

If you have never seen Back to the Future on the Big Screen
(or its been 20 years), here's your chance to go "Back in Time".

On Sunday, July 17, the Marcus Theatres in Orland Park, IL is
playing Back to the Future on the big screen at 9:30pm, as part
of their summer promotion series "Cult Status Movie Sunday" and
I arranged for a reserved DeLorean parking area at the theatre.

Even if you do not want to bring your DeLorean to the show, I
encourage all BTTF fans and DeLorean enthusiasts to come out
and see the original Back to the Future movie as it was intended
to be viewed - on the Big Screen, with full digital sound.

Owners driving their DeLoreans to the show will get FREE admission.
I am coordinating the display part and I will be taking sign-ups to
reserve spots to park/display DeLoreans up until Friday, July 15.
First come - first parked, in the reserved DeLorean parking area.

Email for reserved DeLorean parking:  Rich (at) outernet-tech.net

If you need directions, run a MapQuest on the address below:

Marcus Theatres
Orland Park Cinemas
16350 South LaGrange Road
Orland Park IL, 60462

Note:  Orland Park is approximately 25 miles southwest of Chicago.

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:33:47 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Marty, I would be really concerned about mounting any where except in the
car somewhere. Even though the temperature will get hot in the Stainless
Steel car inside, can you image what it would be in the trunk space 6" from
the hood on a 90 degree day with no cool down expected and the components
themselves will be generating heat.
What 150+, then no cooling down because of where it is. I sold electronic
components for 24 years and since they are all made in Japan or China I feel
you would be pushing the limits of the ratings of the components.
Image a capacitor rated + or - 20% at 70 degree C and it's in a box under
the hood.

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:28:58 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

Regarding potential amp locations, I mounted a complete 10-disc CD unit
under the dash directly above the driver's left knee.  It was never in the
way, and could not be seen without putting your head at seat-level.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:22:17 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

My spare was removed and a fairly hefty amp installed in the well by a
previous owner.  Also, ballasts/relays for my high output headlights are in
there as well.  It has occurred to me from time to time to get some sort of
fix-a-flat, but I've driven it thousands of miles cross country and (knock
on stainless) haven't had a tire problem.  BUT - my tires are relatively
new...I would feel less confident with old rubber.  When my current tires
are worn, I intend to buy run flat tires, assuming appropriate sizes are
available.   Have you considered choosing one of the front corners of the
trunk?  I don't think that many of us really use those corners for much, as
they're not terribly deep, but they are deep enough for your amp.  It
wouldn't be completely hidden away when you open the hood, but you could
still save your spare.  You might even build a vented cover for the amp and
cover it with matching carpet.

Kermit P.

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:20:22 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I don't have the odometer in front of me, but I'm running at about 24,000 miles.
Cheers,
Corey

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:04:56 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DOA magazines

I received an email the other day saying the magazines should go out next
week.  From my understanding (and phone discussion) we will not be getting
any xeroxed copys of magazines.  We will only be getting the real magazines.
  If they run out of specific issues you dont get a copy of it.  From my
understanding, the sooner you signed up for the deal the greater chance of
getting the most magazines.

On a side note, I got my DMC open house video last week and it was awesome!
It is so nice to have somebody like Vid Bob to do this for those of us who
could not attend.  Definitely worth the ten bucks.  You cant even buy a good
lunch for ten bucks.  If I was DMCH I would buy the videos from Bob and
include them in the next deloreans magazine.  Bonuses like that would be a
great incentive for people to subscribe to there magazine.  Just my two
cents.
-Alex

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:32:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DOA MAGS

List, Deb,

I am very sorry...What I meant to write was

"Funny, I DIDN'T read Deb's post as negative...."

It's a Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment here folks.  Kinda
changes the meaning when you leave a word out, eh?

Tom Watkins

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:20:13 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Thanks for everyones reply. I'll take a look at the switch.

I knew it wasnt overheating, but compared to the other De Lorean on that day, it was much higher. Also, it was an unusually hot day for Ireland, and sitting in heavy traffic didnt help so perhaps it was a one off, because it never went that high before. (makes me wonder how the car survived at all in Laredo, Texas!)

I'm tempted by Toby's adjustable switch!

Thanks again
Thomas Mc Auley
Vin #4087
Belfast

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:11:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Extended Convex Mirrors - please read if you got them

Hello Tom, Thanks for your effort to modernize our cars with such a great safety upgrade. I have just one question about the new mirrors. Are they available without the heaters?  I am interested in a set but would prefer them without the heaters since I rarely drive in the rain and never in the snow or winter conditions. If they are only available with the heaters, can they be installed without hooking the heaters up?   Thanks again, Rod 10921

Tom <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl> wrote:Hello all

This message is mostly addressed to all those who got my mirrors.
If you have my mirrors installed on your DeLorean - What are your comments
about the mirrors? What are your comments about the heaters if you have them
connected? I am curious to know if you like them and if you are satisfied
with my product.
I would also like to see some pictures from people who installed my mirrors.
Send them my way!
I would like to put some comments and pictures of the installed mirrors on
my web site. If you have taken some pictures, please send them directly to
me along with your name and other info you'd like me to put on my site. I
will be grateful for any comments

BTW, the mirrors are selling well and we are running low on stock at this
time. I only have few sets left. So, if anyone is thinking about getting a
set please go to my website at www.deloreana.com and order a set now (you
can pay with PayPal). Once this batch is sold out I will start taking orders
for another batch. Once I get enough orders I will have the mirrors made.
This time I will require a deposit before putting a name on an order list.

Thank you

Greetings from Poland

Tom Niemczewski
jamesik_at_dml_vp.pl
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:23:30 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Chicago

Well for those of you planning on attending the Show in Chicago just  thought
this update would be of interest to you.

We wanted to do something different for the show and decided to do a
DeLorean Museum and we have found some really interesting items that have never  been
displayed before.
In order to display the items we have obtained a number of Jewlery and  Glass
show cases so that we can properly display them like you would see in a
regular museum.

We are expecting about 20 display cases with Delorean related items
including some items from the DeLorean Family pertaining to John,

In addition we set the menu yesterday and we will print that in the Spring
2006 issue of the magazine to go out in April.

The next issue will detail the show and what to expect at the show.

So far room registrations are running ahead of the Memphis and PF  and a lot
of people wanted to register earlier so instead of opening event  registration
in January we will try to open it up some time around  Late September and
October.

I expect this year we will see over 125 cars and we could get near 600
DeLorean owners.

For those that are not aware the Corvette people will be sponsoring their
Bloomington Gold car show at the same time.  We went this year and it was
fantastic.
We are arranging for you to be able to see the show and have the corvette
people view our show and have it included in your registration at no additional
charge.

I believe again this show will top the attendance at PF

Thank you sooo much for your support
This is your show so if you have any ideas or have something you want to
display or talk about please e-mail me.

And for those of you that were in Cleveland we had a special treat that was
there and will now be back in Chicago so here is a good teaser for you to
figure  out.

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:31:20 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Grilling with a DeLorean

You're correct. It's the one quick clip of the girl playing tennis.
The guy yells at her, and calls her "Buffy DeLorean *somethingorother*".

Yep, you heard right...

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_g...> wrote:

>> Another "Delorean" mentioning... I think. Though it seems hardly worth
>> mentioning:
>> On the T-Mobile commercial with lots of names run together, I swear

I hear

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:06:00 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

A hot running Delorean can be caused by several things. The otterstadt
switch only controls the temp at which the fans start and stop if the
A/C is not running. Get an infra-red temp sensor or just a plain old
thermometer and actually measure the temp of the coolant. Make sure
the anti-freeze (aka coolant) is not old, is a nice color, and is not
acidic. The thermostat can be sticking. You can test it in a pot of
water on a stove or just replace it. Bleed the radiator of all air.
Make sure it is not clogged with debris on the outside. Make sure both
fans run, run in the right direction, and the fans are not loose on
the shafts. Make sure the front grill is not blocked with anything
like a plastic bag or a license plate. If the hoses and belts are old
they should be replaced. I also suggest you get a new, metal radiator
and a metal header bottle. Get the uprated circuit breakers for the
fans and at least have the fan fail bypass jumpers NOT THE BLUE FAN
FAIL RELAY! Pressure test to 15 psi for 15 min. If you do all this you
should have a bulletproof cooling system. If you have to add coolant
once the system is bled you have leaks which MUST be repaired. Coolant
is not "consumed". It is recirculated and if the level gets too low
some of it is getting out. Eventually enough will get out to let air
in. Once that happens and the system gets airbound you will overheat
the motor. This is why leaks of any magnitude cannot be allowed.

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:54:01 -0000
From: "Brandon" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Tom,

I purchased your mirrors and I absolutely love them.  They do take
some getting used to, but after about 5 minutes on that first drive
they are top notch.  I for one didn't connect the heaters, since I
live in Florida I don't really have the need for them.  Overall, a
VERY good product and a vast improvement in regards to the huge blind
spots on the sides of the car.  I would recommend them to anyone.

Brandon

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:47:42 -0000
From: "ironranger7012" <kvlauhala_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Still Wacky

I crawled under the dash again this morning and attached my service
tach to the studs on the back of the dash tach. Service tach read 775
rpm at idle and wacky is just wacky even as I revved it up.  I suppose
one of the 16 pin chips is TU. (I'm not up on my electronics.  When I
studied electronics it was tubes and simple transisters) Since I have
two tachs I will take the PC board from the other one and find someone
to remove/replace/check what's needed on the board.
Thanks again DoctorDHD for the info and all.

Vic 7012