Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2735
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
13 Jul 2005 13:33:22 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. temp
From: "stainlesssteeldel" <stainlesssteeldel_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Whats YOUR mileage?? (Was Ignorant DJ)
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

3. Re: Re: Chicago
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Whats YOUR mileage??
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Chicago
From: "dmcxii" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

6. Re: DOA magazines
From: debra spurlin <dmspurlin_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

7. parts, parts and more parts!
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

8. Tilt Telescope Steering
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

9. Re: Re: Chicago
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. Whats YOUR mileage Raffle car dcs
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Possible cooling problem?
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Re: Extended Convex Mirrors - please read if you got them
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. Dave's Tach Flicker update
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

14. Re: AC System oil
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

15. New Orleans & Back to Michigan
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

16. Any Kentucky Owners On DML????
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

17. Re: Tilt Telescope Steering
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

18. Re: Dave's Tach Flicker update
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

19. Re: Re: AC System oil
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

20. Re: Abandon the spare?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: AC System oil
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

22. Re: AC System oil
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

23. Re: Whats YOUR mileage Raffle car dcs
From: "Jeremy Popp" <trentjus_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Re: Chicago
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Amplifier mounted on firewall (was Abandon the spare?)
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:20:16 -0000
From: "stainlesssteeldel" <stainlesssteeldel_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: temp

what is the normal temp with the air on and off at highway speeds i
just bought this 1981 del with 105k on it need some help on this and
what is the normal oil psi at park mine is about 18 psi at highway
speeds it is 50psi is this normal and do you need a special oil filter
and oil

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:30:08 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Whats YOUR mileage?? (Was Ignorant DJ)

I just rolled over 35,000 last month.  The most miles I have put on
my car so far were driving from Detroit to Houston and back for the
show at DMCH, 2,800 miles round trip.  I was a bit nervous at first,
but now I know I can drive it anywhere.  I bought my Delorean to
show AND to drive/have fun with, and that's what I'm doing!

Sandor
# 3002

wrote:

>> driver,

>> years.

keep

>> it

>> pull

>> just

>> built.

ever

>> had

>> miles on

>> scheduled

Bill

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:39:40 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Chicago

Both the vin and the e-mail addresses were on the name tags if the fields were filled out in the registration form.
That is standard for us to put on the name tags

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:42:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Whats YOUR mileage??

Currently at 87,200 miles and getting 26.5mpg (5th gear, highway, 75-85mph).
35,800 of that has been in the past 2 years of my ownership.
Only ONCE I could have been left stranded but I had a spare Alternator belt in my
utility box for just such an emergency.
NO drips either, just a little rear main seal oil seapage & trans axel seapage.

Shannon Y
16506

--------------------
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:24:33 -0000
   From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Whats YOUR mileage?? (Was Ignorant DJ)

Engine is still young compared to a 150 thousand, but mine's about to

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:50:47 -0000
From: "dmcxii" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Chicago

AND Make the print bigger.

Dave Swingle

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:59:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: debra spurlin <dmspurlin_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: DOA magazines

Hi again!

I am truly sorry to anyone who took my recent writing on the DML offensively.  It was in no way meant to do that.

The boxes arrived yesterday and we are starting to box them up this evening.  Then, start sending from the post office tommorrow.

Debbie

alex morgan <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:

I received an email the other day saying the magazines should go out next
week. From my understanding (and phone discussion) we will not be getting
any xeroxed copys of magazines. We will only be getting the real magazines.
If they run out of specific issues you dont get a copy of it. From my
understanding, the sooner you signed up for the deal the greater chance of
getting the most magazines.

On a side note, I got my DMC open house video last week and it was awesome!
It is so nice to have somebody like Vid Bob to do this for those of us who
could not attend. Definitely worth the ten bucks. You cant even buy a good
lunch for ten bucks. If I was DMCH I would buy the videos from Bob and
include them in the next deloreans magazine. Bonuses like that would be a
great incentive for people to subscribe to there magazine. Just my two
cents.
-Alex

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:16:33 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: parts, parts and more parts!

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to drop a note to the list and let everyone know I'm back
from vacation.  If you've tried to get a hold of me for the past couple
of weeks, and didn't have any luck, it should be much easier now.

I've got some new items up on the ebay store...viewable here:

http://tinyurl.com/6dhcw

I'm pushing this stuff during the summer month slow down...so if you
need a part, or think you might in the near future, now's the time.  I'm
offering a 10% discount off of all parts purchased from me during the
month of July.  I don't have a whole lot left, but I do still have some
great useful stuff here.  If you don't see it on the store, ask
anyway...I've got some items still not listed.  Please contact me
privately (off list) if interested.  My e-mail is: jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net

Thanks for your attention,
Josh

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:29:22 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Tilt Telescope Steering

OK I have found the tilt adjustment for the steering wheel, but I'll be
d&^)med if I can find anything that allows for telescoping the steering
wheel.  Was standard on every vehicle right, according to the
brochure.  So where is the adjustment for telescope?

Or is it just telescope when you hit it with your body and it collapses?

And my .02 on the DOA, I asked when I would recieve my membership
materials and magazines, was told they would ship this week.  Hopefully
they do and I get to start my collection.

Bernie
VIN #6704 Crash and Burn

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:51:45 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

JUST FOR US OVER 42 GUYS WITH BAD EYES
IS THIS BIG ENOUGH

I WILL MAKE THE PRINT BIGGER

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:02:02 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Whats YOUR mileage Raffle car dcs

I really put on the miles this year mine just went over 7800  :-)

On the other hand I have been driving the Raffle car since  the May tech
session in Chicago.
It has proven to be very reliable.
There are still some things I need to fix like the passenger door locks  need
to be adjusted and I never hooked  up the dash lights.

Other than that and a body clean up its pretty much needed.

The last few things I want to repair are the turn signal (have the new one)
steering bushing
One brake squeeks
Clean up the rear louvers
put on wipers (took them off to clean and never put them back on)
remove and reglue the T-top it was not done right in the first  place.
I also got a hole in one of the air conditioner hoses but the air worked
prior to the hole
so that needs to be fixed.

Short list compared to the last one

Other than that I use it every day
It has 42,500 miles on it and I have driven it about 2000 miles.

I will put out pics as soon as I clean it up
The interior was cleaned and replaced so its done and the trunk  is doing fine
We have new fuel system including tank zilla

So it looks like the raffle car is on target and will be driven to any  event
I plan to attend

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:23:24 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Possible cooling problem?

Check the temp with a laser temp gun - the on and off temp. If it is
really to high I would change the otterstat.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Hi
>> My cooling fans arent coming on until the temperature needle is

slightly below 220. On a friends De Lorean, the stage at which the
fans come on is much lower. Is the thermostat faulty?

>> The car doesnt overheat, but its very close. The coolant level is

normal and there are no leaks.

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:48:58 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Extended Convex Mirrors - please read if you got them

I also live in the hot & humid zone.
But I went ahead and wired up the heaters because sometimes if I do leave it
out overnight or work late there is much condensation that won't get off.
I plan on putting my defrost switch back together and making the heaters run
off that switch. I know Stephen Card did the same thing, and that just makes
sense.
Except for the diagram to put the defrost switch back together, that did
not. I'll get to that again soon.
-Kevin

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 02:06:33 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Dave's Tach Flicker update

I tried putting a 60,000mf cap on the power lead to the ignition ECU
but that didn't seem to help

Then I tried to wire my extra ECU in the engine compartment. The
sounded like it wanted to start but never did so I shelved that idea.

I don't know why but I said I wonder what would happed if I reverse
the polarity of the pickup coil.

Well the engine runs!  ...and NO TACH FLICKER!!!

So what the heck is going on.  The timing seems way off and the
exhaust smelled terrible.

For some reason when the polarity was reversed my timing light would
not fie on cylinder 1.

Now when I checked the timing with the coil in its original polarity
it was at 8° BTDC.
(I never reset it after removing the dizzy.)

With the polarity reversed, as I said I couldn't get the light to
fire on cyl1 but it did work on cyl5.
(Am I correct that there are 2 timing grooves in the pulley and the
other one is cyl 5?)  Anyway the timing was about 22° BTDC.

So my questions are...

1) Why does it seem to run "properly" when the pickup coil is
reversed?

2) should I leave it reversed and just readjust the timing to 13°
BTDC.

Any idea of what is going on?

Dē & 6530

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:08:34 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>
Subject: Re: AC System oil

It seems no one wants to take a crack at my oil question, so I did
some more research and learned a few things on my own.

My AC manual states that if a single part is being replaced, i.e.
evaporator, condensor or accumulator, then a certain amount of oil
should be placed in the new part. If everything is new, then all the
oil goes in the compressor.

Since I effectively have a cleaned out system now, I decided to
drain the compressor oil and see what was in there. I only had less
than 2 ounces in the compressor. I suspect there may be a lot in the
old accumulator, since it weighs 8 ounces more than the new one.

So, my plan is this: I am going to place 6 ounces of mineral oil in
the compressor, and pour another 2 ounces down the line going to the
condensor. That would put 8 ounces total in the system, which I
figure should be about right. After evacuation I will charge with 36
ounces of R12.

Am I right in this line of reasoning, or is there something I have
failed to consider? Any and all help welcomed.

Marty Galbreath
3765 - dash in pieces

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I am doing some extensive work on my air conditioning. I am

needing to

>> know about the adding of regrigerant oil to a completely flushed

and

>> cleaned out system.  I am staying with R12.
>>
>> Assuming a system totally cleaned out, a new accumulator, new

orifice,

>> new evaporator, all oil drained from the compressor, how much oil

is

>> placed in the compressor opening and how much is pushed into the

rest

>> of the system? I have read 6 ounces, but I am uncertain where it

goes.

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:45:48 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: New Orleans & Back to Michigan

Hello,
I will be going to New Orleans to pick up a parts car Delorean 7-12-05
from michigan to Kentucky & down to New Orleans any were to stop along
the way to meet owners? I might have parts for sale on the way back.
call my cell 313-506-3786.
Lawrence

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:40:26 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Any Kentucky Owners On DML????

Hello,
I will be in western Ky from 7-11-05 to 7-16-05 anyone I can stop to
see their Cars or parts? I will be going to New Orleans La. to pick
up
a Parts car also So I might have parts for sale to.
Lawrence - Michigan
Vins/00538m,00915a,4873a,

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:02:40 -0000
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tilt Telescope Steering

When you loosen the knob for the tilt, it should also allow you to
telescope at the same time.  I didn't even know about the telescoping
until several owners told me about it at our CDMC meeting in late May.

Eric C
VIN #1776
Hickory, NC

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:05:00 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Dave's Tach Flicker update

 There are two marks on the crankshaft pully. One coincides with cly #1, the
one closest to the passenger seat, and the other to cly#6, the one furthest
from the drivers seat. It would appear you're checking timming from the
wrong cly.

Bruce Benson

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:10:03 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: AC System oil

Marty - these questions are probably best asked of someone who
works on automotive A/C systems on a regular basis.  The fact
that you didn't get a reply to your last post usually means no one
on the list knows enough to even guess at an answer.

-------------- Original message from "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>: --------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:25:10 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Abandon the spare?

In a message dated 7/11/2005 10:43:33 P.M. Central Standard Time,
marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com writes:

Now I  have my ac/heater unit out and have been looking towards
moving the amp to  the trunk. The front wall is right there, nice and
bare and wiring through  it would be easy. The amp is too large to
fit beneath the spare as others  have done. So I was wondering how
may of you have removed the spare to get  more trunk room? Would
carrying a small compressor or Fix-a-flat or both  suffice in most
instances of a flat tire? In 32 years
of driving I  have yet to have a flat tire while on the road. (I'm
sure it will happen  tomorrow now) I'm looking for reassurance here.

Please voice your  opinions about driving sans spare.

Thanks,

Marty  Galbreath
3765

Marty,

I have about 600 watts mounted the rear firewall - what kind of equipment
are you using? did you ground and power up directly from the battery?  did  you
use adequate size wiring?

The point is that I have absolutely NO background noise or interference,  but
I also used the highest quality stuff I could afford and ran everything the
way I learned after talking to a lot of people and reading books on audio
installation.

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:15:12 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

Hi Marty,
See message # 53496. Harold actually answered this for me on June 22,
2005.
Stephen

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:56:47 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

Completely understandable and no problem. I would have thought
though that with all the AC work going on recently that someone else
would have had a similar situation.

Marty

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:08:46 -0000
From: "Jeremy Popp" <trentjus_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Whats YOUR mileage Raffle car dcs

Hey Ken! This is Jeremy Popp from Carlisle... .anyways, great update.
Let me know when youve got this one, or the 5 speed ready and I'll
come take a look at them... Do you intend to have them both finished
before winter hits? Thanks!
jeremy

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:17:42 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

PERFECT!  ;)

-JOE KUCHAN (WAY over 42)

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:19:06 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>
Subject: Amplifier mounted on firewall (was Abandon the spare?)

I have a Soundstream 244 amplifier, using #8 guage wire for the hot
and #4 for the ground, both from Lighting audio. The hot is tied
directly to the battery while I tried moving the ground from the
battery to other points nearby but no change in the result. The
input wires are of the unshielded twisted pair type, also from
Lighting Audio which are supposed to be the latest and greatest in
noise elimination, I thought.

The noise was twofold: there was a lot of ignition noise which
produced a "popping" sound in time with the engine, and also
alternator whine. When I moved the amp to the floor, the poping was
gone but I still had the whine. Installing a filter on the power
from David Navone Engineering solved that part of the problem.

One I get the car back together from my AC extravaganza, I might try
some other things. I bought a set of Magnecor CN25 ignition cables
which are supposed to help with this problem, but haven't installed
them yet. I presently have 8.5mm MSD wires on the car with a NOS
coil.

What brand of amplifier are you using so successfully?

Marty Galbreath