Subject:
From:
Date:
14 Jul 2005 16:20:02 -0000

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: "Professional" Mechanics
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Emissions
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

17. 1983 Delorean For Sale
From: "milo4845" <wwindham_at_dml_usa.net>

18. Re: Emissions
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

19. DeLorean Owner helping another owner
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Re: Chicago
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

21. Re: Emissions
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. 'Back to the Future' summer screenings schedule
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

23. Update California DeLorean Owners-Auto Classic Car Show
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>

24. Thanks for tips on brake job.
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

25. Relay clicking with my AC on.
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:28:01 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Amplifiers.

In a message dated 7/13/2005 12:33:31 P.M. Central Standard Time,
dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net writes:

Out of  curiousity, why would you need a amp in the DeLorean? I run
Infinity Kappa  6x9" 3 channels in the back, and 5" composits on the
kickpanels, with  tweeters in the dash. Coupled with a Kenwood 60Wx4
head unit. The sound is  crystal with clear treble, and does a decent
job of thumping the  floorboards for good base (it's like driving around
in a drum). And all  this without an amp.

If you've got some subwoofers, I understand the  need for an amp, but
for regular speakers? How much of a difference does  this actually make
for sound?

-Robert
vin 6585  "X"

Robert,

Yes for many people a full range amplifier is unnecessary.  My dad,  for
instance, is not an audiophile and normally listens to talk radio or other  easier
stations at low volume.  No reason for him to install an  amplifier.  Others
such as myself and apparently Marty demand more from our  stereo systems which
a headunit cannot handle.  One thing to point out  is that your Kenwood
headunit which says 60w X 4 on the faceplate is boasting  it's maximum output.  The
head unit's output is more like 14 to 18 Watts  RMS.  With an external
amplifier you get 70 watts RMS (in my case) which  equates to more headroom for
accurate sound reproduction at higher sound  levels.  Many times a high quality
external amplifier will utilize better  components than a stand-alone headunit
too - more chassis room, less  compromises.  At low volumes the differences
will be minute but at higher  volumes a quality external amplifier will always
outperform a headunit.   You need those extra watts of headroom - let's say you a
re listening to music at  50% power, you have 50% reserve (or 3dB reserve) to
amplify transients or other  sudden power demands.  The more power you have
total, the more headroom you  have.  For oldies music, transients or other
sudden demands are uncommon -  for many newer types of music such as electronic,
rap, industrial, hard rock,  even country - and ESPECIALLY classical -
transients and volume changes are  common and demanding - at medium to higher volumes,
the music just isn't the  same without loads of headroom.

Another great feature of many stand-alone amplifiers is that most have
options like multi-channel crossovers, infrasonic filters, variable pass  filters,
or on-board equalizers which are often better than those found on a  headunit.
 You need these types of things when adding subwoofers or other  speakers or
equipment to you system.

The bottom line is some people view their car stereo as something to
generate background music for long trips - for others it's a huge part of the
driving experience, and for those of us whom are the latter - an external  amplifier
is a requirement.

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:48:44 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: AC Orifice VOV

Group,
I now have on the web site the Variable orifice valve ( VOV )
I listed a few of the pluses about them over the standard valve.
They work with R12 or R134A and they state there has been over 2
million miles of testing.
My distributor told me when I picked them up this morning
that shops in Arizona and other hot climate really like them
and don't use anything else. I will be adding more about them
tonight, but don't wait up. Look under AC.

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:15:08 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

In my (somewhat tongue in cheek) observation, it is roughly an
indicator of the age of the driver. I'm sure there are exceptions but
the age of not caring so much about the stereo seems to kick in
somewhere north of 30.

Dave Swingle [still running 10 watts of blazing Craig power]

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:45:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Emissions

Was this a static test (at idle), or a dynamic test
(on a set of rollers)?

<SNIP>

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:47:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

What?  I cant hear you over that constant ringing in
my ears.

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:55:17 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Apparently they don't do a visual inspection. Here in Illinois they
go under the car with a mirror looking for the converter. If it's
gone you fail without the test. Of course they can't tell an empty
one from a full one, but I've never tried it.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> Not sure if anyone would be interested in this information, but I

feel

>> it's a little bit noteworthy for the forum with regards to

information

--------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:20:16 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The PRV happens to be a very efficient little package, especially for
it's vintage. Strictly speaking though, even if your emission numbers
are within the limits for the year, if, on visual inspection, they
find you do not have a catalytic converter and the car is supposed to
have one, they can fail you. That is why there is a sticker on the
door stating such. In some states ANY modifacation, like a turbo,
needs to have a special waiver too. I do not know if anyone ever got
the waiver for any turbo set-up. Of course California is probably the
only state that would be a problem.

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:31:44 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Air conditioning switch problem

Hello list,

I am going to look at a car for sale this weekend, and the owner said
that there is a problem with the air conditioning switch. He said when
it is pushed it sounds like a woosh behind the dash (vaccuum switch?)
but nothing happens. He said that he (not sure how) hooked the air
conditioning directly to the battery and it runs fine and blows cold
without any problems. Anyone have an idea what the issue could be?
Could it be as simple as a broken switch? Thanks.

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:51:25 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Tilt Telescope Steering

When I was in Houston I had a new steering column installed.  My old
one was VERY loose on both tilt and telescope; the new one is nice
and solid, I prefer the movement to be a bit tighter to adjust
versus loose.

Sandor
# 3002

>> The same knob does lock the telescopic. Even after you loosen it
>> though it may be difficult to move the wheel in and out. They tend

>> get stuck after so many years of never having been moved. It may

take

>> some force to get it to move again. Only pull on it DO NOT FORCE IT
>> IN! Do not hammer on it, you may collapse the column. Refer to to

the

>> owner's manual for more info on adjusting the column.
>> David Teitelbaum
>> vin 10757

telescoping

late May.

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:11:34 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: AC System oil

See message 53496 - I think you're on the right track.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> It seems no one wants to take a crack at my oil question, so I did
>> some more research and learned a few things on my own.
>>
>> My AC manual states that if a single part is being replaced, i.e.
>> evaporator, condensor or accumulator, then a certain amount of oil
>> should be placed in the new part. If everything is new, then all

the

>> oil goes in the compressor.
>>
>> Since I effectively have a cleaned out system now, I decided to
>> drain the compressor oil and see what was in there. I only had

less

>> than 2 ounces in the compressor. I suspect there may be a lot in

the

>> old accumulator, since it weighs 8 ounces more than the new one.
>>
>> So, my plan is this: I am going to place 6 ounces of mineral oil

in

>> the compressor, and pour another 2 ounces down the line going to

the

>> condensor. That would put 8 ounces total in the system, which I
>> figure should be about right. After evacuation I will charge with

36

wrote:

>> needing to

>> and

>> orifice,

oil

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:14:12 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: "Professional" Mechanics

In my life no matter where I've lived or what vehicle I've owned at
the time, from my 1964 IH Scout, to my 2 Chevy Trackers, to my 2002
PT Cruiser and including my DeLorean, EVERY single "professional"
ASE certified mechanic has caused more damage to my vehicle than
repair.

So why do I continue to go there? Because I'm an idiot. I keep
thinking "they can't all be this incompetent."

A smiple task, To wit;

Sir, I have two lugnuts on my DeLorean that have become too tight
for me to break loose. Can you put your impact gun on them for
me? "Sure" he says. The guy spins them loose and promptly
overtightens them with the pneumatic impact gun. I now have one
stripped lugnut that I can't get off.

I do solemnly swear that I will never trust a gas station mechanic
again as long as I live.

Rich A.

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:51:49 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DOA magazines

Debra,

Just remember no good deed ( including volunteer work) goes unpunished !

And time heals all (most/some) wounds.

Hang in there, and we look forward to the magazines and hopefully the renewed and improved relationship with the D.O.A.!

Cecil Longwisch
#10663
  previous and current D.O.A. member

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:03:47 -0400
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

>> The bottom line is some people view their car stereo as something to
>> generate background music for long trips - for others it's a huge part of the
>> driving experience, and for those of us whom are the latter - an external  amplifier
>> is a requirement.
>> Andy

That's a great explanation, thanks.. but I've got to believe, based on
the actual volume of the Delorean cabin (very small), that after a
certain point (i.e. number of watts of output),  that it just doesn't
matter - the volume would be deafening before you actually "heard" a
difference with more watts.   (diminishing returns, if you will).  So,
for argument sake, suppose you have a great head unit that puts out 20
watts per channel.  Is a 70 watt stereo *inside a Delorean* really
going to sound better at the same tolerable volume?  From your
explanation, the wattage ratings (assuming similar component quality
and build) only matters at very high volume, which makes perfect
sense... but listening to 70 watts inside the car has got to be beyond
ear-damage level, no matter the type of music one is listening to.

If you're going for max watts and ear-drum busting and ground shaking
bass, sure, that argument makes sense - but what about normal,
everyday listening habits?

-Hank

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:25:53 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Thermostat

Hello,
can one of you fine blokes help me out with a little cross reference
information?

As part of my process by elimination in trouble shooting my cooling problem
we are going to inspect and replace my thermostat this weekend.

Could someone please tell me what thermostat brand, size, and temperature I
should be asking the fine folks at AutoZone for?
Is there a particular model car or engine I could use in place of "DeLorean"
which I am guessing is not in their database?

Will it come with a gasket or do I need to get that too?
Any special sealer used on these?

Any tricks I should know about?

Thanks.

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:32:27 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: "Professional" Mechanics

In a message dated 7/13/2005 9:54:42 P.M. Central Standard Time,
racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com writes:

Sir, I  have two lugnuts on my DeLorean that have become too tight
for me to break  loose. Can you put your impact gun on them for
me? "Sure" he says. The guy  spins them loose and promptly
overtightens them with the pneumatic impact  gun. I now have one
stripped lugnut that I can't get  off.

Everyone always says the pneumatic impact gun is the most evil thing on
earth for wheels.  That's because no one understands it.  no one ever  puts a
wheel on with full strength on the gun.  You buy these things called  torque
sticks which are made of spun steel.  They attach on the end of the  gun and each
one is a different value for differing wheel torque amounts. In  fact there is
a yellow one which is 65 lbs - perfect for DeLorean wheels.   If you use
these, you put the impact on full tilt, attach the stick, put it on  the lugnut,
and hammer it home. the stick absorbs the extra torque, making each  lugnut the
proper tightness.

So, when you see someone 'hammering the crap out of it with an impact',
chances are he's using a torque stick and is doing no more damage than a manual
torque wrench.

They are accurate too - i've verified it with a manual wrench.

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 05:27:20 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

Both.  They measure emissions at idle and under load.

Hydro Carbons (PPM)
-------------------
Cruise Limit: 150
Cruise Emissions: 53

Idle Limit 220
Idle Emissions 40

CO (%)
-------------------
Cruise Limit: 1
Cruise Emissions: 0.31

Idle Limit 1.2
Idle Emissions 0.38

CO+C02 (%)
-------------------
Cruise Limit: 6
Cruise Emissions: 6.51

Idle Limit 6
Idle Emissions 6.68

02 (%)
--------------------
Cruise Limit: NA
Cruise Emissions: 11.85

Idle Limit NA
Idle Emissions 11.76

My CO+CO2 % looks high, but my idle was at 1500 and wouldn't settle
down (just discovered tonight that a wire on the microswitch was
loose)...but the emissions guys calculated in the high RPM and said I
easily passed.

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 05:41:51 -0000
From: "milo4845" <wwindham_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: 1983 Delorean For Sale

I have a 1983 Delorean for sale. It has 8,000 original miles. Car is in
Jacksonville Fl. I can send pictures. $20,000. Two sets of wheels. One
set was owned by John Delorean and sent to Smoky Yunick in Daytona Fl..
Car has Grey interior and 5 Speed. New updated fuse panel. New rubber
in aand out. Many extra parts. Car is in perfect shape. I have to sell
this in the next 30 days.

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:14:51 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

Well lucky for me, this is the last year for emissions inspections for
cars made in 1981 for Washington State.   :)

In Washington, they don't care what you do to the car as long as it
passes the emissions specs set for that particular car.  That's great
for people who like to modify cars i.e. engine swaps.

Did I forget to mention that the emissions guy insisted that DeLorean
offered two engines for their cars?  Apparently, aside from the 2.8
Liter V6, there was a 2.9 Liter 4 cylinder.  I told him to just make
sure he marked me down as having the V6.

Oh the humanity!

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:46:32 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Owner helping another owner

Gentleman:

I just wanted to take a moment to recognize a fellow DeLorean owner. Jack
Singer of Richmond Virginia has been helping me for the past year or so with
some DeLorean stuff. He has always been a very nice gentleman, and dedicated
DeLorean owner/collector.

Recently, Jack took time away from managing his busy business  enterprise to
meet me down in Richmond just to say hello for all of 15  minutes. Thank you
very much again Jack for the Large DeLorean poster!

I just wanted to share my positive DeLorean experience with another  owner.
I'm happy to see no bickering back and forth on these  lists between owners.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:28:47 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Chicago

Ken,
Double that age and you have ME exactly....ho ho...but so far I have no
problem reading ANY print , even the smaller stuff...however you are welcome
to make it larger anyway for you older people!!!
Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:23:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

What about NOx?

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:56:53 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: 'Back to the Future' summer screenings schedule

For those on the list who wish to see the first BTTF film on the big
screen, here's a complete listing of theaters to date as we know of:

July 17, 2005
Orland Park Cinemas, Orland Park, IL
708-873-1586

July 23, 2005*
Esquire Theatre, Denver, CO
303-352-1903

August 6, 2005
Rialto Theatre, South Pasadena, CA
626-388-2122

August 12-13, 2005
River Oaks Theatre, Houston, TX
713-866-8881

August 20, 2005
Uptown Theatre, Minneapolis, MN
612-825-6006

August 26, 2005
Nuart Theatre, West Los Angeles, CA
310-281-8223

August 27-28, 2005*
The Oaks Theater, Oakmont, PA
412-828-6322

(* denotes BTTF.com sponsored screenings)

There may be additional screenings, but these are the only ones we've
heard about to date.  Local DeLorean clubs/groups in these cities may
wish to contact the theaters for possible collaborative promotions.

Stephen Clark,
BTTF.com

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:58:41 -0000
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>
Subject: Update California DeLorean Owners-Auto Classic Car Show

To the California DeLorean Owners,

We have just worked out parking arrangements for anyone attending the Art Center Auto
Classic this Sunday.  The DeLoreans will have priority parking along with the Lamborghini
Club. They have allocated several spots just for the Association.  So if anyone is attending
the show with their DeLorean please let me know.  I need to put your name on the list.
You will have priority parking up close with a discounted ticket rate.  Please be there
between 8:30-9:30am.  If you are coming late let us know so a spot can be reserved for
your DeLorean.  Otherwise, parking will be down at the Rose Bowl off campus and a
shuttle will take you to the show.  Its going to be a great show and hope to see you all
there.

http://www.artcenter.edu/carclassic/

Please email me if you do wish to attend so a spot is reserved for your DeLorean.  Go to
http://www.deloreanmagazine.com and email the director to reserve your spot.

Thank you,

Tony Hilger
DeLorean Owners Association-magazine director
http://www.deloreanmagazine.com

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:22:30 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Thanks for tips on brake job.

I wanted to thank those who gave me guidance on my recent brake job
I did myself.  I replaced all the original calipers (and original
brake shoes still on the car - 27,000 miles) with the loaded cadmium
coated rebuilds from SpecialT Auto (not plugging the vendor, as I
also purchase from all of them, to share and support those who
support our fine cars, but nice pieces, nonetheless!)

I was only able to get the driver's side front and rear rotors off
the car, even after tips on removing the rear spacer plates and
exhaustive attempts with a rubber mallet, then a 2 x 4 and hammer (I
have a souvenir blood blister behind my middle fingernail from that
hammer - Ouch!)

I was going to take them to a local shop for turning, but since I
could only get two off, I kept them all on the car instead and
sanded them with a rotary attachment on my drill with #80 sandpaper,
as suggested by David Teitelbaum (Thanks David, it worked like a
charm to eliminate the glaze, and saves rotor material in the long
run!).

I bought stainless break lines, but had trouble freeing the old
lines (was bending the frame mounts trying the free the nut, and the
rears seemed a little challenging to get my hands in there - I'll
wait till someone else can put them in, perhaps during a visit to PJ
Grady's).

After installing the new loaded calipers and bleeding the brakes,
the car handles so much better!  The brakes feel like new (No more
squealing and shimmying (my passenger front caliper was never fully
releasing the rotor).

Feels good to complete a job myself and bringing the Delorean to a
condition closer to that when it was new.

Thanks again everyone!

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:28:48 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Relay clicking with my AC on.

I haven't done anything yet with regards to electrical systems in my
car.  It has the Fan Relay bypass for the blue relay.  When I run the
AC, I hear annoying relay clicks behind me, every five seconds or so.
Is this normal?