Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2739
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
15 Jul 2005 04:10:06 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Looking for EARL TABORN in Texas
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

2. Re: Relay clicking with my AC on.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: Amplifiers.
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

4. Steering Column Rattle
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Summer Fun Run - Final Update
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. RE: "Professional" Mechanics
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

7. RE: RE: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Summer Fun Run - Final Update
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

8. Re: Passenger Mirror
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

9. RE: Relay clicking with my AC on.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: DOA magazines
From: debra spurlin <dmspurlin_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

11. Re: Relay clicking with my AC on.
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. RE: 'Back to the Future' summer screenings schedule
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: "Professional" Mechanics
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

14. Re: Relay clicking with my AC on.
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

15. Re: New Orleans & Back to Michigan
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. Re: "Professional" Mechanics
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

17. RE: Abandon the spare?
From: "Dan Saulnier" <dps_at_dml_seacon.com>

18. never ending FV troubles
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

19. Re: Re: "Professional" Mechanics
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

20. How do you change the anti-freeze fluid in the Delorean?
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: "Professional" Mechanics
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Re: How do you change the anti-freeze fluid in the Delorean?
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

23. Re: Amplifiers.
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

24. DMC Model catagory
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

25. Re: Thermostat
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:19:35 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Looking for EARL TABORN in Texas

Hi all!
Trying to track down Earl Taborn if anyone happens to know him. He was the original owner of my car. Would be nice to get in contact with him.

Thanks
Thomas Mc Auley
Vin #4087
Belfast

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:57:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Relay clicking with my AC on.

That clicking may be the circuit breakers popping. You need to check
the sizes of the 2 circuit breakers that are together and if required
order the "Relay upgrade kit" which includes uprated circuit breakers
and some relays.

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:32:15 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>
Subject: Re: Amplifiers.

Time for me to chime back in. First of all, I am 48 years old. I
have been an audio professional for 26 years now. The explanation
offered by Andy is completely correct, IMPO (and appreciated, as I
type by hunt-and-peck). I do not listen to rap or any similar music
genre, I prefer classical, female vocalists, blues, and yes even the
occasional rock ditty.

My system contains a new Sony head unit with an advertised power of
30 WPC. As Andy has inferred, it would be lucky to actually have
7.5 WPC. The restrictions and regulations of how power amplifiers
are measured in the professional realm do not apply to the car
stereo industry. As a result, the advertised power rating of these
devices is usually grossly over valued, usually by a factor of 4. If
a manufacturer were to use the correct rating criteria, their units
would appear less powerful than their competitors and would not
sell. So a vicious cycle of boasting unrealistic power claims
continues.

Most people would be surprised to learn that the wattage level they
are experiencing at "normal" volumes is quite low, usually less than
one watt. But as Andy again pointed out, every increase in level of
3 dB doubles the power requirement. 3 dB is not a very large
increase in actual listening level. It is regarded as the minimum
amount of power increase that can be perceived by the human ear
as "it got a little louder". So if we take our theoretical one watt
and turn up the volume just enough to hear a difference, how many
times can we do this before we run out of steam? 1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16 -
 32 = 64 - 128 ...it runs out of juice fast. So we can see that the
difference between a 20 watt amp and a 70 watt amp is only a matter
of 4 dB or so.

So why add the external power amp if we are usually listening to
such low levels anyway? While it's true that the 7.5 watt amplifier
in my head unit will produce voice and most music at a reasonably
sufficient volume, if you want to enjoy music with a large dynamic
range at a level approaching that of a live performance, more power
will be required. Here's why:

The human ear is far from being a linear device. It is much more
sensitive to high frequency sound than low. So it is easy to power
loudspeakers with enough high frequency energy, say above 500 Hz, to
sufficient levels to make a person uncomfortable fast. It is the
lower range of sound that becomes the challenge.

Lower frequency sound requires much larger speakers to reproduce. It
is because the wavelength of these frequencies being much longer
than HF, require more air to be moved in order to be generated. The
transducers of low frequency energy, woofers, are therefore much
less efficient that the HF counterparts, tweeters, and will use up
most of your amplifier power. Coupled with this the lower
sensitivity of the ear at these frequencies, you can see where all
the power is going.

I spent a great deal of effort and money attempting to improve the
acoustic environment of my Delorean. This being my second D
restoration, I recalled how noisy the first car was and was
determined to improve that for this one. I completely removed the
interior and installed two layers of Dynamat extreme to all of the
fiberglass surfaces. A layer of TACMAT was installed over that on
the rear firewall and below the parcel shelf. Above that a layer of
Dynamat Dynaliner closed cell foam. In the area behind the door
headliners, I used the Xtreme and a layer of the Dynaliner foam.
Finally, I fabricated a new rear wall from 3/4 MDF and put my rear
speakers, 7" Polk db component models, and my amp, a Soundstream 245
amp there. The amp has 25 watts RMS x 4 channels and 100 watts RMS x
1 for the subwoofer. Real watts, from a time when these specs on
these amps were regulated. The storage compartment behind the
driver's seat perfectly accommodates a Kicker L5 12" square
subwoofer without modification, so that's where it went. In the
dash, I replaced the 3.5" speakers with 4" MB Quart coaxials by
making a custom mounting ring. The resulting system sounds really
good. It's not a competition boom car, just a quiet ride with a
nicely balanced full-range sound system. When Holly Cole or Diana
Krall belts out a tune in my car the sound is rich and accurate.

At first, I had the front speakers connected to the head unit and
the rear speakers powered from the amp in bridged mode, for 50WPC.
The fronts were dull and lifeless. Moving them to the external amp
brought them back to life. Lowering the rears to 25 watt by doing
this made a little difference, but only on the loudest passages of
music.

I fear I have strayed a little from the original question: does it
make a difference having the external amp? For myself and my desires
for the car, definitely yes.

Marty Galbreath

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Hank <heskin_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> [...]

something to

huge part of the

external  amplifier

>> That's a great explanation, thanks.. but I've got to believe,

based on

>> the actual volume of the Delorean cabin (very small), that after a
>> certain point (i.e. number of watts of output),  that it just

doesn't

>> matter - the volume would be deafening before you actually "heard"

>> difference with more watts.   (diminishing returns, if you will).

So,

>> for argument sake, suppose you have a great head unit that puts

out 20

>> watts per channel.  Is a 70 watt stereo *inside a Delorean* really
>> going to sound better at the same tolerable volume?  From your
>> explanation, the wattage ratings (assuming similar component

quality

>> and build) only matters at very high volume, which makes perfect
>> sense... but listening to 70 watts inside the car has got to be

beyond

>> ear-damage level, no matter the type of music one is listening to.
>>
>> If you're going for max watts and ear-drum busting and ground

shaking

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:02:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Steering Column Rattle

Here's one that started on the trip home from
Birmingham to Pensacola.

My steering column has some kind of rattle.  It will
rattle almost ANYTIME.  When you shut the door, turn
the wheel to the left or the right, take a bump in the
road, take a corner hard - anytime.  I have tightened
the steering wheel adjustment knob underneath the
kneepad as tight as possible with no effect.  The
whole column appears to be a bit loose, as I can grab
the wheel and move the whole column up about maybe
half an inch.  If I put both hands on the wheel and
apply downward force while driving, it will not
rattle, but if I "casually drive", it will rattle to
no end.  This is not the normal "give" in the steering
column with a 25 year old suspension; this "rattle"
whenever the car interacts with any bump, groove,
pothole, pebble, curve in the road is BEYOND
irritating.  I'm going to tighten every bolt,nut, and
screw in the footwell area of the driver's
compartment.  Would these symptoms be indicative of a
loose connection at the point where the steering
column and steering rack meet?  I have no play in the
steering itself; it is as tight as can be.

Jeremiah

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:04:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Summer Fun Run - Final Update

Just want to add that you should also bring a family band radio type
walkie-talkie on channel 12. It will be useful for the cruise from the
Mall to Bear Mountain. There is a gas station near the Park at Bear
Mountain too if you will need gas for the return trip home. There are
also plenty of gas stations near the Mall on Rt 59 and Rt 303, just
not many along the way. Bring Sun Tan oil, an umbrella (for the sun)
and folding chairs.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Delorean Mid-Altantic Club

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:39:30 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: "Professional" Mechanics

Ahh the "Torque Stick"...certainly one of my all time favorite time savers.
I used to torque all DMC wheels by hand until discovering them about 15 or
so years ago. This invention has saved us countless hours over the years. We
actually wore our first one out a few years ago (it snapped).

Rob Grady

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:26:36 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Paul, I could be the circuit breakers heating up and opening and closing.
They will do that but the cause could be and old breaker or an over load on
the circuit. Is it a 40 amp that is clicking on and off.You will have to
unplug it to see.

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:34:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: debra spurlin <dmspurlin_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: DOA magazines

Hi!

Thanks so much for the nice reply.  I am well aware of the acceptance of volunteer work.  I am head of three other groups.  But, in the long run, if you have fun it is well worth it.

One half of the magazine orders went out yesterday.  The rest we are aiming for the first part of next week.

Have a fantastic day.

Debbie

Cecil Longwisch <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com> wrote:
Debra,

Just remember no good deed ( including volunteer work) goes unpunished !

And time heals all (most/some) wounds.

Hang in there, and we look forward to the magazines and hopefully the renewed and improved relationship with the D.O.A.!

Cecil Longwisch
#10663
previous and current D.O.A. member

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:34:28 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Yeah, I have the same symptoms. I am told you should only hear the
clicks every 15-20 seconds or so as the compressor cycles on and off.
If it is happening every five, you probably need a freon refill. I
just received JH's dual fan fail bypass, and a full set of replacement
Bosch relays from NW to avert any possible breakdowns. I still
haven't found anyone I trust to service my AC since I have heard so
many stories of incompetent service technicians. Anyone know of a
good one in MD? Thanks.

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:42:16 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: 'Back to the Future' summer screenings schedule

Is there ANYTHING we can do to get this is Dallas?
Houston is 4 hours away, it is like another state almost!
If you can get it into Dallas, I will do some footwork for you here,
I know of a few theaters I have worked with in the past that might be
interested.
We could get a decent number of DeLoreans there too.
Let me know if it is possible!
- Videobob

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:43:48 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

It really depends on the shop.  If it's a real tire shop, you are probably
right.  If it's Joe Badwrench at the local greasepit, probably not.

-------------- Original message from Soma576_at_dml_aol.com: --------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:55:16 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Paul,

Rejoice!  The sound of relays clicking means that they're working.   :-)

One relay is for the compressor clutch, another for the cooling fans.  I
have my fans wired to always run when A/C is selected, avoiding the
constant electrical dips and surges.  I also have one relay for each fan.

If you really haven't done anything to your electrical system yet, then:

  1. Replace the fuses.  All of them.  Leave the cover off of the "fusebox
oven".
  2. Clean the contacts of the relays.  Replace if necessary, or if
paranoid and flush with cash.
  3. Clean and tighten the ground points.
  4. Upgrade the fan circuit breakers, although if you have the Fan Fail
bypass this may have already been done.

If the clicking bothers you...upgrade the stereo with more wattage
.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:04:14 -0500
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: New Orleans & Back to Michigan

Probably missed you but I'm next door in Biloxi MS.  228-596-4494

Jeff
#10544

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:07:11 -0500
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

On the contrary, I've found great success with several small
independent shops in the tire category.  In fact, the only times I've
had problems were when I went to large chains.

In addition to a higher-likelihood of breaking something, there are
more reasons to avoid using impact wrenches for lug nuts.  Besides
the chance of not being able to get the lug nut off in the event of a
flat, impact sockets are thicker than standard sockets and if the
width of the socket is large enough, it can scrape the paint off of
your wheel as it zips the lug nut off!

Experiences with various tire shops of all sizes will certainly vary
wildly, but wherever you go, always insist that tire shops tighten
and remove the lug nuts by hand to the proper torque.  If they won't
take the time to do that, then definitely go somewhere else.

Travis Graham
#06344

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:14:37 -0400
From: "Dan Saulnier" <dps_at_dml_seacon.com>
Subject: RE: Abandon the spare?

Marty -

I would recommend carrying AAA in case you get a flat.  I got a flat
several years ago, pulled into a parking lot, unloaded the trunk, put
the spare on, crossed my fingers, lowered the car (spare held!),
reloaded the trunk, put the rear tire on the passenger seat, got in,
drove 2 feet (literally) and all the pressure came out of the spare.  So
I called AAA, and while I was waiting for my flatbed to arrive, put the
old tire back on.  So if you don't mind waiting for AAA, you may as well
use the extra space for storage or whatever.  Maybe a goldfish tank?

I suspect putting a tube inside the spare would keep that from happening
again.  Anyone ever try that?  At least it was a good excuse to get a
new full set of Yokohama's.

Dan.
VIN 5804
Watertown, MA

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:07:09 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>
Subject: Abandon the spare?

I presently have my stereo amplifier in the passenger's footwell,
covered by my nice DMCH floormat. This is certainly not an ideal
location - heat, untidy wiring, reduced legroom, etc.

I originally had installed it in a beautiful custom panel behind the
parcel shelf along with my new rear speakers. But that location
proved
unusable due to the fact that the distributor is only about 8 inches
away through a fiberglass wall, and the RFI was impossible to
overcome.

Now I have my ac/heater unit out and have been looking towards
moving the amp to the trunk. The front wall is right there, nice and
bare and wiring through it would be easy. The amp is too large to
fit beneath the spare as others have done. So I was wondering how
may of you have removed the spare to get more trunk room? Would
carrying a small compressor or Fix-a-flat or both suffice in most
instances of a flat tire? In 32 years
of driving I have yet to have a flat tire while on the road. (I'm
sure it will happen tomorrow now) I'm looking for reassurance here.

Please voice your opinions about driving sans spare.

Thanks,

Marty Galbreath
3765

This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom addressed.  You acknowledge that by opening the electronic documents attached hereto that you agree with the terms of the disclaimer / waiver, the statement of ownership, and other matter as documented on S E A Consultants' WEB site at http://www.seacon.com/disclaimer.htm

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:35:12 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: never ending FV troubles

I've got the worst up and down idle ever, no matter what kind of
adjustment the CO screw has. I'm sure the problem is partly because my
FV will run and then shut off. I've had a chance today to play around
with it...If I unhook the frequency valve of it's fuel lines, I can
hold the relay closed and the FV will run all day long (opened up
original relay to hold contacts down). Once I hook it to it's lines,
it will run for a few minutes, and then stop working all together. I
cleaned out the little screen inside the inlet, but can't figure out
why it won't stay running. The ground is clean and brand new
connector, obviously the FV runs so I doubt it's bad...I have a new
relay installed... When the lines full of fuel I can open the contacts
of relay to have the FV shut off, and then close it, it will run for a
few secs and then wind down slowly to a very low buzz, or it will shut
off completely. What the hell? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:38:54 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: "Professional" Mechanics

I just hand them my torque wrench set for 60 ft lbs and request that they
use it to tighten the lug nuts.

Bruce Benson

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:58:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: How do you change the anti-freeze fluid in the Delorean?

Hi, can someone please tell me how to change the
anti-freeze fluid in the Delorean?

VIN#5781

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:45:08 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Any service shop is only as good as their worst mech on a bad day.
Good help is very hard to find and even harder to keep. There are few
places that can be recomended for service work on a Delorean or any
exotic, rare car for that matter. It is difficult for even more
modern, daily drivers. If you are unlucky enough to have an unusual
problem with a car you are at the mechanic's mercy and guesswork. This
is one of the main reasons I offer advice for Deloreans. In too many
cases you must UNDO previous incorrect work before you can fix the
underlying, origional problem. After 20 years and several owners and
the various shops that had their hands on the car there are always
things that must be redone correctly. Most mechanics in America are
not familiar with Bosh fuel injection but it doesn't seem to stop them
from working on it! And all that education, parts, and time is at YOUR
expense!

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:38:41 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

The stock radiator does not have a drain petcock. The only real way
is to remove the lower hose. Vent the system by removing the coolant
bottle cap. If that fails to vent the system, you'll have to
(carefully) remove the small bleed line at the top of the radiator.

As you no doubt know, the plastic barb is somewhat fragile so use
caution.

I got fed up with the plastic radiator and bought an all-metal
replica with extra cooling capacity and a drain petcock. I'll never
have to wrestle that demon again.

Rich A.

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:03:49 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 7/14/2005 7:57:42 A.M. Central Standard Time,
heskin_at_dml_gmail.com writes:

That's a  great explanation, thanks.. but I've got to believe, based on
the actual  volume of the Delorean cabin (very small), that after a
certain point (i.e.  number of watts of output),  that it just doesn't
matter - the volume  would be deafening before you actually "heard" a
difference with more  watts.   (diminishing returns, if you will).  So,
for  argument sake, suppose you have a great head unit that puts out 20
watts  per channel.  Is a 70 watt stereo *inside a Delorean* really
going to  sound better at the same tolerable volume?  From your
explanation, the  wattage ratings (assuming similar component quality
and build) only matters  at very high volume, which makes perfect
sense... but listening to 70 watts  inside the car has got to be beyond
ear-damage level, no matter the type of  music one is listening to.

Good question Hank.

I think I would respond by saying that a quality external amplifier, for  the
many reasons I listed prior, will result in a cleaner reproduction of
whatever you are listening to at any volume. The DeLorean isn't that quiet  of a car
on the open road, and you may be surprised how loud your music has to  be for
you to be able to hear it well above the din of the car.  Your  stereo is
louder than you think on the interstate!  In these cases, even in  a small car,
an amplifier is necessary IF you enjoy music as much as myself and  others on
the list do.

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:17:16 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DMC Model catagory

I had an owner e-mail me and ask if we were still having the DMC model  class
at Pheasant Run

Of course we will
The best turn out was at Pigeon Forge where we had many models  compete.
I hope we get enough that we will need to make two categories

So get your Sunstar (Or other DeLorean models) and do  your thing with  it
and bring it to Pheasant run.

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:39:49 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Re: Thermostat

Videobob,

When I replaced mine a few weeks ago I had bought it from one of the
vendors.  The only problem I noticed was that the sealing gasket that was
sent was just an O-Ring that didn't make the right seal in the housing.  I
had to go to Advance Auto and they were able to find one that worked
perfectly, it has to wrap around the whole lip of the thermostat perimeter,
not just sit on top like an O-Ring would.  According to the package it came
in, it is for a 1988-95 Mazda (V6, 3 Litre, SOHC Engine).  There is no need
for sealing compound, just the right gasket.  As far as the thermostat
itself goes, I don't know of a 100% valid cross-reference, although I would
start with a Stant # 13649 (For 1981 Volvo 260).  It should begin to open at
87C (~190F), and should be fully open at 100C (212F).

Hope this helps,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont