Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2743
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
16 Jul 2005 18:43:03 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Emissions
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

2. Re: Cobra Conversion?
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

3. Rained out? - PADMC meets at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, July 16, 2005
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

4. Re: This should have come out sooner.
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: Re: To all Maryland DMC Owners
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. While we're talking about cooling problems...heres mine!
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

7. Re: My DMC Joe Experience
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. RE: Rained out? - PADMC meets at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, July 16, 2005
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: This should have come out sooner.
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

10. Re: While we're talking about cooling problems...heres mine!
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: While we're talking about cooling problems...heres mine!
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

12. Re: While we're talking about cooling problems...heres mine!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Stumped In AZ with AC
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Re: Cobra Conversion?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

15. Re: While we're talking about cooling problems...heres mine!
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

16. Re: Cobra Conversion?
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. RE: Stumped In AZ with AC
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:27:59 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Emissions

State level regulations vs. Federal level regulations are ALWAYS going
to be an ongoing fight. Here is what the EPA has to say about
Catalytic Converters:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Now in their wisdom however, the EPA has givin a loophole here. In
regards as to replacing a CAT, they say, "Generally, there are only 3
situations where you can install an aftermarket converter." The
keyword here being "Generally". They did not say that these are the
absolute end-all, be-all situations for legal replacement of the CAT.
No, these are the 3 main, "general" situations that you might
encounter. And these rules are ONLY for mechanics performing said
modifications. These are not for the vehicles themselves, per se.

The EPA and state governments have a pretty Laze Faire attitude when
it comes to replacement of CATs. Not removal, but replacement. As long
as it passes smog, that's all they care about. I've had plenty of
people examine my car to make sure that I didn't need a smog pump, and
that I had a CAT installed. But no one has ever bothered to check if
the label on the cat stated that it was specificly for my vechicle.

Same with engine swaps, which contrary to what the person told you on
the phone, ARE infact legal. The only requirements being the the new
powerplant be the same year as, or newer than, the vehicle it will be
installed into. In some cases, there may even be an extra step, such
as in California, where you have to bring the car into the Smog Lab to
have it tested for emissions requirements. But they're certainly legal.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_S-10_V-8_Smog.html

Does the sticker on that page look familiar to anyone?  :)

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:55:45 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Cobra Conversion?

Uh...well, it's a long story.  What would you like to know?

The Cobra car is a project I have been dreaming up for a year or so.
After a lot of research, I came up with plan to physically make it
work, and got it started and off the ground back in February.

I only have a few old photos right now, nothing special.  I put them
in the Files section under the Cobra folder. (Photos sections was
giving me group access errors.)

Thanks!
Dave Jacobs

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:29:52 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>
Subject: Rained out? - PADMC meets at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, July 16, 2005

Hi All,

Due to the weather forecast for tomorrow in Pittsburgh being showers and
thunderstorms for the whole day, the majority of folks who RSVP'ed on
this show will be staying home.  I'm also going to skip out due to the
weather.  Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Sorry!

Thanks,

-Dave

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:21:26 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: This should have come out sooner.

On 7/15/05, cbowman3169 <cbowman3169_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I think some people do not want to advertise the type of work that
>> they have done on their cars. They would prefer to keep the work
>> history to themselves to use as they see fit, when they sell the car
>> in the future. So even if they lost some time and money, they would
>> prefer not to make it a public event. The one individual that Rob
>> Grady mentioned in his letter, that I posted on my court case
>> website, emailed me and was a bit unhappy that I mentioned his car
>> and publicised work that had been done on his car.

Now, that's simply ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but why would anyone want to keep work history on their
DeLorean private? I can't see a legitimate reason. Seems this would
only be useful if you were planning on selling the car and not telling
the complete truth about it's history. I understand some people lead
very private lives, but getting upset because the community knows
you've replaced x parts on the car? What sense does that make?

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:29:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: To all Maryland DMC Owners

Hi John, and to all in Maryland,

John, you were right about getting Maryland Historic
tags!  I went today to the MVA with my Delorean title,

MVA Form VR-096, an article from the internet on the
demise of DMC, and after giving them a check for $51 I
was given historic plates, no Inspection certificate
required!! Thanks so much for the good advice!  Now
only if repairing the Delorean exhaust was that easy!

And thanks to all who confirmed and commented on
John's great find!!

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:24:48 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: While we're talking about cooling problems...heres mine!

I just replaced all my cooling hoses and bled the system for about an
hour it seemed. Also my water pump was installed months ago and has
run fine since installation. Yesterday I drove the car and there were
no cooling problem at all even with sitting in traffic for a long
while, I even tested the fans by letting the car idle until it got
hot-fans kicked on and cooled it down. Today on my way to work I
noticed my coolant gauge flicker down to about 100, and then back to
the current temperature (mine's always run 160~170). Then on my way
home on the highway at 70+MPH the car suddenly overheated, luckily I
was near home so I made it without being on 250 more then a minute or
2. I made sure I had no coolant leaks, and bled the system even more.
I opened up the CAP ON THE RADIATOR (not coolant tank) to make sure
the radiator wasn't full of air. Sure enough there was no air, and I'm
pretty sure I got all the air out of the system. When the car was
overheating, the gauge would flick to 200 quickly, or maybe 160, and
then right back to 220, 240 and on...and the cooling fans wouldn't run
without the A/C forcing them on. Any ideas with this problem??
Secondly when examining the cooling fans, the passenger side will not
turn on. So I jumped the fan, and it does work; measured the voltage
in the green wire before the connection and it was 0. This prompted me
to check the wire that replaces the relay and the ground for the
fan-no problems....I've never had these problems until today. Any
suggestions on what to look at in order to fix this? Thanks guys
-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:12:16 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: My DMC Joe Experience

It's kind of funny that this just came up.

After seeing the original post I decided to run through the huge
list of reciepts etc the PO provided to me when I bought my project
car from him.  To my amazement, there is quite a list of work/parts
done by DMC Joe.

It appears that 3 or so pages worth of items were bought including
lots of labor etc on the car.  As I've been rebuilding the car, it's
hard to see all of it was done but since it was sitting outside for
a year or so, it's a bit hard to tell.  I did get to check out my
auto trans governor (listed as replaced with a new one from
apparently one of the vendors) and gladly it looks brand new.  From
most of the upgrades listed on the page, they seem to be there.  One
thing I can't get passed is that DMC Joe installed around 4k of
upgrades etc, and 3k in labor but never thought to install the front
end safety recall brackets.

I'm going to be running my last little test to see if the items are
there.  On my list of receipts, it was said that both window motors
were replaced in 2001.  The PO paid $495 for the pair, so I'm hoping
they're the Heavy Duty Replacements from PJ Grady.  I'll be checking
this coming week and will let everyone know.

One quick question to everyone, has anyone had they're dash &
binnacle recovered around the year 2000 or 2001?  Possibly by DMC
Joe or someone he knew?  I'm wondering because I really like the
stitching done to my dash & binnacle, I think it looks cool.  There
is only one problem!!!  The grain is completely different than any
of the other pieces!  It has this small thin grain with varying
crosshatch type grain marks is various places.  It's not really bad
but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this experience.  I
just figured they'd use the original type grain to match the rest.
one thing that drives me nuts, they restore the interior but allow
the passenger kneepad to burn up and crack! Local vinyl shop wants
$150 to upholster it with new crap vinyl LOL, this is when you call
up DMCH!!! I would like to say all the vendors have been very
supportive in my restoration, much thanks to all!

And in reference to DMC Joe, I never personally dealt with him but
the Tankzilla listed as being installed WAS installed & so far I
haven't seen anything that looks to be standing out (still anxious
to see if the motors are there).  It's a shame when stuff goes that
bad, hope everything comes out well.

Thanks,

Brandon

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:30:08 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

The only concern we have about that here in the Chicago area is that we NEED
that rain, but you'e getting it!   ;)

It hasn't rained any significant amount here in almost two months.   :(

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 07:05:36 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

There doesn't have to be a reason.  "Just because" is
plenty and it should be respected.  Lets put it this
way - would you want every invoice you paid for
DeLorean related stuff to show up on a website
somewhere?

-------------- Original message from Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>: --------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:27:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

How recently have you replaced your otterstat?  Have
you cleaned the wire connectors that go directly to
the otterstat?  I would also clean the "wire
connectors" that go to the cooling fans (where they
all "clip" together).  How old is your thermostat?
What Fan Fail Relay do you utilize?  You may want to
change fuse #5, as it sends voltage to your otterstat,
and of course your otterstat turns your fans on
(Thanks Warren for that one!).  You may want to let
your car run for a bit with the radiator cap off -
make sure the coolant is cycling.  If you don't see
coolant flowing back into the coolant bottle, you have
a stopped up hose somewhere.  Do you have a "auto
bleeder" kit like the one at specialtauto?  Nice
blessing I tell you...nice blessing....

That ought to be enough suggestions from me - can't
think of anything else this late =P.

Jeremiah

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:44:49 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

I had this problem, and it turned out to be the temperature sending
unit in the passenger side cylinder head.

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:44:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

With all of the history on your car at this point I ma guessing a
problem with the temp gauge. The motor can't change temperature that
fast. Verify with an infra red temp gauge.

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:06:57 -0000
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Stumped In AZ with AC

Hey list need a little help here.

Recently my AC stopped working, turn the mode switch to AC and nothing
except cabin fans.. no compressor (new) and no cooling fans (work fine
otherwise).. Neither kick on!

Checked fuse, jumped compressor – works and checked relays all OK

In reviewing wiring diagram appears that current must reach compressor
to trigger fans.. the only thing I haven't checked is the diodes in the
fuse compartment

Any ideas???  Really need the AC in AZ!

Thanks

Randal  "The 3M Guy"
Hot 5501

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:07:13 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Cobra Conversion?

WOW!

I would like to see more of the progress as it happens.

Mark V

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:39:04 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Is it possible for an air bubble in the system to cause the gauge to
flicker down as if it was cool? Otterstat I have never replaced, only
because I like how cool my car runs...or ran...but looks like I'll be
ordering one and a bleeder kit soon. It is unknown how old my
thermostat is, but a few months ago I had it out and tested its
operation. I'll change fuse 5 and do more testing/cleaning to the
wires of the fans. I do have coolant flowing into the bottle so I know
theres no blockage. I'll just go over the hoses again and make sure
nothings leaking and etc. I appreciate everyone's help and
suggestions. I'm about to go now and work on it so I'll let you know
how everything turns out. Thanks again guys! -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:29:24 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hey Dave,

Please upload some more updated pics!  That engine looks great!  I
like the Pearce Frame too lol.  Have you mounted the engine in yet?
As for the air intake, since it's facing the opposite direction than
stock PRV, what are you planning on doing to pull in the oxygen.
Also, what tranny are you going to use with the engine?  I'm with
Mark, I would definitely like to see the progress as it happens lol.
I'm trying to build up my site now to show the restoration work I've
done on 3323, and hopefully it'll be nice and flashy!

Thanks,

Brandon
Vin 3323

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:37:08 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Stumped In AZ with AC

Randal,
 The mode switch power come directly from the #10 fuse and then from the
relay, so if it went out so would several other things.
If you have power on the #10 fuse, it is possible that the mode switch went
out, but that would be kinda rare because the blower motor switch gets it's
power from the mode switch.
I would be looking for a blown coil in the compressor clutch if it isn't
clicking on.
I have them in stock for $59.95.
You could also be out of freon or cycling switch could be bad and keeping it
from turning on.