Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2744
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
17 Jul 2005 21:15:10 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Stumped In AZ with AC
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. Re: Cobra Conversion?
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

3. Re: Stumped In AZ with AC
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Stumped In AZ with AC
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

5. Re: While we're talking about cooling problems...heres mine!
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

6. Re: Stumped In AZ with AC
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: This should have come out sooner.
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Subject: Re: Stumped In AZ with AC
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. Console clock- update
From: "Mike Cohee" <billsfanmd_at_dml_verizon.net>

10. Delorean Mid Atlantic and The Summer Fun Run II
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

11. RE: Console clock- update
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Eastern DeLorean Clubs
From: "Cory" <mrdelorean88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. A/C Drain hose?
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

14. re:[DML} A/C Drain hose?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. Re: Console clock- update
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

16. Re: Console clock- update
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: To all Maryland DMC Owners
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Delorean Goodyear tires for sale.....
From: "back2time" <back2time_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Convex mirrors from Tom Niemczewski
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

20. No car at the DCS Show ?????
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

21. RE: Console clock- update
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:08:53 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Stumped In AZ with AC

What do you mean by "jumped" compressor? If you mean the switch on
the accumulator bottle (inside right front wheel) then all that's
could be is the switch itself or the (lack of) refirgerant. If that's
not what you mean, try jumping it there.

When you jumped it did the system get cold? If not, there's no freon
in it or something is seriously plugged.

You said the compressor is new - is it now R12 or R134?  What was
done in the process of changing the compressor (i.e. plug&pray or did
the system get properly flushed, orifice tube changed, tested, etc.)?

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Hey list need a little help here.
>>
>> Recently my AC stopped working, turn the mode switch to AC and

nothing

>> except cabin fans.. no compressor (new) and no cooling fans (work

fine

>> otherwise).. Neither kick on!
>>
>> Checked fuse, jumped compressor – works and checked relays all OK
>>
>> In reviewing wiring diagram appears that current must reach

compressor

>> to trigger fans.. the only thing I haven't checked is the diodes in

the

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:09:52 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Cobra Conversion?

Hey Brandon...

Thanks for the comments.

It looks like the pressure is on me now to get this car finished.  I
suppose that's good motivation.

I have mounted the engine, but it has been removed to get a cam
upgrade, and performance work done on the heads.

The air intake is something I haven't tackled yet.  I have several
ideas that will require a lot of custom parts to be made.  But I don't
plan to really look into that until I drop the body onto the new
frame.  That way I can take measurements and design an intake.  My
only concern right now is finding space for the intercoolers and piping.

As for the transmission, I am going to work with Toby on upgrading the
DeLorean UN1 transmission to handle the massive horsepower and torque.
 Something similar to the Derek Bell setup.  (Uh oh Toby!  Pressure is
on!)  I was going to go the G50 Porsche route, but I was talked out of
it by some of the Porsche guys.  The G50 will need major beefing up,
and will costs gobs of money.  Think I will take my chances with the
UN1.  Toby and Derek have inspired me.

I am keeping a journal on the build up...I am going to be writing some
articles on not only what I am doing, but how I am doing it.  I don't
know if you are familiar with my work in Gullwing Magazine or not, but
my write up will be in my usual format, but hopefully less boring than
my previous works.  =)

BTW...the donor car is practically a new car with only 16k miles on
it.  It was a local club members car, so I know the mileage to be
true.  Anyway, I won't need the engine anymore, so if someone is
looking for a pristine engine, give me a shout.  I will give the
engine a run over to make sure its in good condition.  I will also
have a perfect DeLorean frame I will need to get rid of.  As time
permits, I will list my extra parts with pictures on my website,
http://www.DeLoreanPerformance.com

If anyone is wondering, yes I it's sad that I have to take apart a
perfectly good example of a DeLorean to build the DeLorean I want.  I
tried for over a year to find a parts car that I could restore...but
everyone kept parting them out!  So please forgive my sacrilege.

Thanks!
Dave Jacobs

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:35:25 -0000
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks John - one question would a blown coil stop the fans from
turning on? The complete AC system is less than 1 year old hopefully
freon has'nt leaked out.. What about the diodes in the fuse
compartment as shown in the wiring diagram?

Thanks

Randal

>> Randal,
>>  The mode switch power come directly from the #10 fuse and then

from the

>> relay, so if it went out so would several other things.
>> If you have power on the #10 fuse, it is possible that the mode

switch went

>> out, but that would be kinda rare because the blower motor switch

gets it's

>> power from the mode switch.
>> I would be looking for a blown coil in the compressor clutch if it

isn't

>> clicking on.
>> I have them in stock for $59.95.
>> You could also be out of freon or cycling switch could be bad and

keeping it

>> from turning on.
>> John Hervey

Behalf

>> Of Randal
>> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 9:07 AM
>> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: [DML] Stumped In AZ with AC
>>

>> Hey list need a little help here.
>>
>> Recently my AC stopped working, turn the mode switch to AC and

nothing

>> except cabin fans.. no compressor (new) and no cooling fans (work

fine

>> otherwise).. Neither kick on!
>>
>> Checked fuse, jumped compressor – works and checked relays all OK
>>
>> In reviewing wiring diagram appears that current must reach

compressor

>> to trigger fans.. the only thing I haven't checked is the diodes in

the

>> fuse compartment
>>
>> Any ideas???  Really need the AC in AZ!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Randal  "The 3M Guy"
>> Hot 5501
>>

>> To address comments privately to the moderating team, please

address:

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:45:19 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

The diode is what makes the fan come on with the A/C, not the
reverse. If the diode is bad, the compressor will engage but the
cooling fans will stay off until turned on by the otterstat.

Did you jump the switch on the accumulator bottle?

Dave

----------------------
FROM: azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com
DATE: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:35:25 -0000
SUBJECT: Re: [DML] Stumped In AZ with AC

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:49:45 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: While we're talking about cooling problems...heres mine!

Cooling fan problem fixed, dirty connection in the washer reservoir
area. Bled the radiator+water pump and let the car begin it's heating.
Too low pressure in the hoses prompted me to check the cap on the
reservoir tank. Pushing on the hose you could hear air escaping the
overflow line obviously the cap is no good. Installed a 14 LB cap with
lever release, pushing on the hose there was still little pressure
felt at 200 (fans kick on _at_dml_ 208 in my car) but no air escaping the
overflow. What could be a cause of low pressure? I'm going to confirm
this low pressure with a tester. Car continued to heat and the fans
ran at their usual temperature and cut off at usual temperature so
otterstat is fine. With both fans running the car cooled down fast.
Still a flickering temp gauge, I noticed that cyl#2 spark wire runs
over the green wire that is connected to the cooling sensor in the
back/right area of the engine. I haven't tried to move it off yet so I
can spare getting burned. Could the spark wire running on or near this
sensor/wire be a cause of flickering? I'm not sure my cooling problems
are over yet, I'm going to take it for a little drive in a
few...-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:24:37 -0000
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Dave -

New compressor, new orifice tube, A/C accumulator, o-ring kit & valve
kit green for R12, system evec and recharge with R12 system checked
OK 7/30/2004.  Did a short jump from the positive post in engine bay
to see if compressor would kick in - it did.  Did not leave run long
enough to see if it would run cold air just a quick test. What am I
missing - need more info on the switch on the accumulator bottle how
do I jump there?

Thanks to all!

Randal

Melting in AZ at 115* in garage temp 110*

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:38:56 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: This should have come out sooner.

On 7/16/05, mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>> There doesn't have to be a reason.  "Just because" is
>> plenty and it should be respected.  Lets put it this
>> way - would you want every invoice you paid for
>> DeLorean related stuff to show up on a website
>> somewhere?

Sure, why not? I openly published a large list of parts I've replaced
on my car here on the DML several weeks ago. I did so to help a
potential owner understand just how much is involved in turning a car
with all original parts into a reliable vehicle. In fact I've been
meaning to put it on my own web site by now.

Besides, we're not talking about invoices with full payment amounts,
which vendors, etc. But if someone asked me, I'd tell them. It's not a
full disclosure of one's personal finances, for crying out loud. Just
information on work that's been done to your vehicle. What, are people
afraid knowledge of repairs will devalue their cars? Seems it would be
the opposite to me.

You know, if someone personally told me, "Yeah, I did x to my car.
Please don't make that information public." I'd respect their wishes.
But if they didn't specifically tell me, I'd never think it would be a
problem casually mentioning it in a relevant conversation. Why should
it be? It's not something people normally consider to be a personal /
private matter.

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:42:19 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Subject: Re: Stumped In AZ with AC

Just inside the right front wheel is a large aluminum bottle (the
accumulator). On it you'll see an electrical plug - unplug (assuming
it's actually plugged in! - sometimes it's the obvious) it and jump
the two wires together (two spade lugs on a few inches of wire) with
the ignition on and the A/C turned on. This should make the
compressor engage (whack!). If it does, either the switch is bad or
you are out of freon. If that does not, keep looking.

If you jumopt that switch and it starts, run the compressor for a
minute or two and see if you get cold air. If not, shut it off and
get  the leak fixed and get it recharged. If you get cold air now,
replace the switch. If you've lost enough freon that it never runs,
it's a pretty major leak. I'm working on my restoration car now that
had not been driven in 18 years, and there is still enough freon in
it to engage the compressor (about 2 seconds at a time!).

On the later cars there is a second switch in the freon line that
runs across the front of the car, sometimes it is on the driver side
of the compressor, sometimes it is in a tee in the line near where it
attaches to the evaporator. This switch is not in the schematic. That
is a high limit switch - it can fail too. If you find that jump it.
It's not likely that the pressure is too high when the car is not
running, so if that fixes it the switch is bad.

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:17:02 -0400
From: "Mike Cohee" <billsfanmd_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Console clock- update

Okay...I took the time to take my clock out and see why it does not work. I
think I figured out why but was wondering if I can fix mine or just buy a
new one. All 4 wires are in place and look fine. However, about 20 percent
(the upper right corner) of the circuit board is covered in rust, corrosion,
soot and look pretty bad. I sprayed it carefully with some contact cleaner
and wiped with a soft brush. It looks better but still does not work. I
don't have the know how to trouble shoot a circuit board. Should I stop here
and get one or is it worth having it looked by anyone. Half the fun with
this car is bringing things back to life  :-)  Any input would be great. I
have a multi-meter and can follow directions. I know the plug is getting 12v

Thanks
Mike Cohee

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:07:55 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Delorean Mid Atlantic and The Summer Fun Run II

Just got back from the DeLorean Mid Atlantic Summer Fun  Run II and wanted to
say it was a lot of fun.

We had 19 DeLoreans and a great group of people  who all caravanned from the
Palisades Park Mall to the Bear Mountain State Park  where we had a barbeque.

Many thanks to Aaron and the others who helped make it  a success.

See you at the 2005 DMA Fall Tour

Dē & 6530
Dave Delman

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:01:03 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Console clock- update

I would suggest simply re-sildering all the connections.
Use some Elctro-Wash on it, see if that helps.

I would be happy to look at it and attempt to repair it for you for free
if you just cover the shipping. ($2)
Just let me know.
- VB

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:37:36 -0000
From: "Cory" <mrdelorean88_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Eastern DeLorean Clubs

Greetings Group,
   Are there any DeLorean owners or enthusiasts in the Nasville - Area.
I am a transplant from the Arizona DeLorean Club. I have recently moved
to the area of Thompson Station, about 4 weeks ago. I am not an owner
sadly but will be one day. If there is anyone in the area please email
me privately at: gpilot94(AT)excite.com.
Thank you
Hasta,
Cory C.

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:05:15 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: A/C Drain hose?

I finally have my A/C working in my car (after 4 years of troubleshooting)
and happily drove to and from the DMA summer fun run today.  I noticed that
I had some water on the floor.  DanRc30 told me that the drain hose must be
clogged and has to be be opened/cleaned.

by the time I got home, my passenger side floor was FLOODED (I didn't
realize how bad it was happening).  I used a shop vac to get most of the
water up, and pulled up the carpet (where possible) to let the foam dry.

Where is the drain hose?  how do I get to it and clean it?

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 04:34:10 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: re:[DML} A/C Drain hose?

The drain is at the base of the AC unit to the right. If you pull
back the carpet slightly you can see it, but you can't get to it
there since its a hard line at that point. But it goes thru the floor
and outside the car, showing up on top of the frame and ending in a
hose that drips either on to the ground or onto the gas tank
depending on where they aimed it. Remove the cover under the spare
tire and you should be able to see it  - a black hose about 1/2-inch
diameter.

If you are lucky you can thread some weed-whacker line up it and
break the blockage loose. You could also try hooking up the shop vac
to the line and pulling out the gook. Avoid blowing into the line
because that just pushes the crap back up into the housing. As a last
resort you can do that but it will often just block up again. Worst
case the block is on the inside of the evaporator case. You don't
want to hear about that.

If this doesn't work I can send you a photo of what's inside the case
so you can see why it's hard to get to from the inside. But my camera
isn't at home at the moment.

Also - it might be a good idea to remove the passenger seat (4 nuts
undertneath the car) and then take the carpeting out. This gives you
4 drain holes in the floor and the carpet will dry faster without
rusting the seat tracks.

If you don't fix it, eventually you will get water into the fan motor
and ruin that too.

Dave Swingle

[PS - I'd rather pull an engine than the evaporator case]

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:18:40 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

There's a transistor right on one corner, right on the edge where the
solder joints are prone to cracking. This is responsible for the
illumination, and I've fixed a couple just be re-soldering it.

Martin

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 05:40:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

When you see corrosion like this on a PWB it is a good
bet that some of the copper traces on the board have
become "open".

Use a jewelers loop, and inspect the board looking for
broken copper traces.  When you find them, solder a
wire across the break.

If you want, send it to me and I will try and fix it
for you.  (no charge)

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:43:52 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: To all Maryland DMC Owners

Mike,
I would rather work on the exhaust then have to deal with the
Maryland DMV.  I believe it has to be in their resume that they are a
pain to qualify for the job!

Thomas
VIN:2953
Frostburg, MD

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, mike p <cambpd_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Hi John, and to all in Maryland,
>>
>> John, you were right about getting Maryland Historic
>> tags!  I went today to the MVA with my Delorean title,
>>
>> MVA Form VR-096, an article from the internet on the
>> demise of DMC, and after giving them a check for $51 I
>> was given historic plates, no Inspection certificate
>> required!! Thanks so much for the good advice!  Now
>> only if repairing the Delorean exhaust was that easy!
>>
>> And thanks to all who confirmed and commented on
>> John's great find!!
>>
>> Mike

href='http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=83'
target='_blank'>insurance</a>,

hclick.php?hid=60' target='_blank'>auctions</a> – no fees. Bid on
great

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:34:58 -0000
From: "back2time" <back2time_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean Goodyear tires for sale.....

Before I go the ebay route (not even sure if woth it)......

I have a set (4) of the original Goodyear DMC tires w/ 2400 (yes
2,400) miles on them.  I took them off my car ~8 years ago when I
purchased it from the original owner.  They have always been garaged
kept- and look new.  (I think the yearly Armour All has helped)

If anyone is interested in them please let me know (make an offer).  I
have the Michelens, and I dont expect to ever go back to concourse  :-)

I can take pics if interested.

Thanks,

Jason Perkins
perkins5_at_dml_bellsouth.net

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:21:58 +0100
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Convex mirrors from Tom Niemczewski

I purchased some replacement NOS mirrors in May 2003 from a well known
DeLorean vendor and the mirrors are already showing signs of relective
breakdown around the perimeter.  This combined with the fact that NEW convex
versions were available resulted in my new purchase from Tom:-

Obtaining the instructions from www.deloreana.com completes the package.
The packaging, not only did it's job, but really sets the professional
stance off to how good the product really is.  I have just had my mirrors
arrive in just 8 days.

I will be connecting the heating element up so that the defroster switch
deals with the mirrors as well as the rear window.

Great product, great service and looking forward to other innovations.

Regards

Chris H
vin 5255 to shortly show the parts that others mirrors couldn't reach

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:18:51 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: No car at the DCS Show ?????

I was just talking to an owner that wants to come to Chicago but he
unfortunately cannot bring his car.
In talking to them we had the idea that if you cannot bring your car you  can
bring a picture of you and your car and we will make a special board to
display this and if you can send me pictures along with the registration ( we
will make this option avail) then I can add it to the slide show presentations
as well then your car will be represented at the show.
for those that have no cars we want yoru photo as well.

Based on the last show there were 118 cars in attendance but it represented
about 250 cars but those that could not bring them wanted to show us what they
 had

So in Chicago lets do that and see how many we can represent and help us
bring the cars that could not make it to the show

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:35:04 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Mike, Send it to me and I will trouble shoot it for you.