Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2745
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
18 Jul 2005 19:17:25 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: No car at the DCS Show ?????
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: No car at the DCS Show ?????
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

3. still leaking from ottertat
From: "mrvic20" <faycraig.newton_at_dml_virgin.net>

4. Steering Wheel Center Pad - PlastiDip?
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Tach PC board
From: "ironranger7012" <kvlauhala_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Steering Wheel Center Pad - PlastiDip?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

7. Re: still leaking from ottertat
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. RE: Tach PC board
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. Re: No car at the DCS Show ?????
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. RE: still leaking from ottertat
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. RPM Relay
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

13. RE: re:[DML} A/C Drain hose?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. Re: RPM Relay
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

15. Stock D Manual Transmission Available
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. New delorean owner - some questions on repairs
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

17. RE: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

18. Re: Convex mirrors from Tom Niemczewski
From: "Brandon" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: still leaking from ottertat
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:58:30 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: No car at the DCS Show ?????

Ken, I wouldn't be too dissapointed if there were not as many cars.
It's really all about the people getting together, and we really only care
about the
"special" and custom cars, the rest of us are all pretty much driving the
same thing...
give or take a few custom shift knobs or flux capacitors!
- VB

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:26:18 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Here is another suggestion
I have no problem with it what does this list think

Ken

from jsinger

In doing so, why not ad a buyers and sellers area  with contact info to
meet at the show....

Kind  Regards,

Jack>>>>

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:18:35 -0000
From: "mrvic20" <faycraig.newton_at_dml_virgin.net>
Subject: still leaking from ottertat

Hi All!

Ok my car passed the MOT and i have my UK reg and i got my car back
from my father in laws garage (That saved me a bob or two). So it
became obvious that i had a major leak from the otterstat...so i
ordered the seal, clip and otterstat from dmch and took it to my
local garage thinking it was a simple job...i would have done it
myself but i wanted piece of mind. Anyway after replacing the parts
it still leaks, exavtly the same from the otterstat as b4.

The mechanic was recommend to me and said he tried everything. I
drove it home (9 miles)from the garage and lost about 1/2 pint of
coolant and it is now in my garage.

Eberyone seems pretty confident it is not the Head Gasket (Please
god not the head gasket(s))but after talking to the people who
worked on it in my father in laws garage i think the local mechanic
only bled the system from the bleed screw on the thermostat...should
he also bleed it from the front of the car? How is that done?
Could this be the culprit of the leaking seal? I have ordered an
new seal stat and clip and the car is booked in or thursday. This
is the only thing preventing me driving my D and discovering what
next will go wrong:)

any help appreciated

craig DOC388

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:55:27 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Steering Wheel Center Pad - PlastiDip?

My Steering Wheel Center pad looks a little old...  has anyone ever
sprayed their's with PlastiDip?  Does anyone have a possible reason
why this would be a bad idea?

Thanks,
--Greg

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:09:20 -0000
From: "ironranger7012" <kvlauhala_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Tach PC board

This has to do with that wacky tach of mine.  As I stated earlier the
tach reads high and wavers. I checked with a service tach off of the
back of the tach studs under the dash and the readings on the service
tach were correct (by the sound of the engine) and rock solid. Not the
tach in the dash. I purchased a new tach a couple years ago which
produced similar results.  The reason I haven't done anything about it
until now is a long story.

I took my original tach that I kept and removed the PC board from the
tach gage and made a schematic of the circuit.  I ohmed out the
resistors and checked the diodes and capacitors.  All appear to be
functioning properly. By looking at the schematic, there are three
terminals on the gage. All of the terminals on the gage come from the
14 pin IC on the board (pins 1, 2 and 12) It makes me wonder if the IC
is cause for my erradic readings. The IC has a number on the back
(159777 and CSC 8111). Does anyone know if a common??? IC would
replace this and what is a replacement number and where can I get one?

I would like to try replacing this and check it out by just connecting
up to +12v, coil and ground. Then I will change it out with the one in
the car.

Thanks
Vic

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:44:41 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Center Pad - PlastiDip?

I had mine recovered in leather (along with the steering wheel) by
American Stitches.  They did a very nice job and provide some
options to you, such as padding thickness under the leather and
they can add grips.

-------------- Original message from Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>: --------------

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:49:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: still leaking from ottertat

Does it only leak with the car hot?  Maybe you need a
new "radiator cap"  (not on the radiator in the
DeLorean).  If the cap is no good, the pressure in the
system may be too high.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:52:42 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Tach PC board

Vic, Maybe I coming in to late, but what tach are you talking about. What am
I missing.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:59:31 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I'm not sure that a car show without cars is what Ken's going for.
The more the merrier!

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:03:26 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Craig, The only time I have ever had a leak around the otterstat was when
the pipe was corroded and the seal wouldn't 't seal. A little silicone could
helped, but sometimes the pipe may have to be replaced.
As far as the bleeding of the air, That can be done at the bleeder on top of
the water pump with about 99% total air removal. What's left on the top of
the radiator is insignificant and wouldn't keep the otterstat from working
properly. I'm in Texas when we run 90 to 100 degree a lot with no problem.
This week we have been 95 to 100 and I just installed a Air Bleeder on a
customers car and there was no further problem with temperature rise.
If it turns out to be just a head gasket, that's not really a big problem,
just be sure to mic the heads for warpage.

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:56:33 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: RPM Relay

I've heard of the failure mode in the rpm relay in which it doesn't
stay closed and either you can't start the car or the engine won't run
at high speeds but I just discovered that mine doesn't shut off even
when the engine dies.

When the engine dies and the RPM relay opens up should the frequency
valve still be buzzing?

Is this a familar failure mode with a know fix?

Does anyone have the schematic of the rpm relay?

Thanks in advance.

Dē & 6530
Dave Delman

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:14:16 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures

I saw this posted on Tamir's site forum today and thought everyone here might like to take a
look at the differences in Giugiaro's personal D that is at Ital Design.  These were taken by
the DeLorean Owners club in Italy.  His two-tone interior looks absolutely amazing.  Too bad
DMCH doesn't offer tan colors like that for the seats and center console. Maybe this could be
taken into consideration next time DMCH makes an order for more interior pieces?  I think it
looks very good.

http://www.outatime.it/it/Giugiaro/

-Patrick C.

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:51:04 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: re:[DML} A/C Drain hose?

Dave, I had the lower case handy that I use for testing and fitting. I
listed it on the web site under the Evaporator & Condenser cores showing
where the drain hole is.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/AC-Cooling.html

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 04:20:30 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: RPM Relay

I think Knut Grimsrud published a schematic of the RPM relay in one of
the previous newsletters he wrote.  You can probably do a search and
find it.

I had a bad RPM relay where it would run continuously as soon as I
turned the key to the ON position.  That seems to sound like what
you're indicating.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 04:25:31 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Stock D Manual Transmission Available

Hey Guys,

I have a stock D Manual Transmission available and I thought I'd
offer
it to the community before I put it up on Ebay.  Please feel free to
contact me off-list and make an offer if you are interested.

I can also possibly get the footpedals & linkage, but am positive in
that I can get the shifter & shifting linkage components for you if
needed.  Would be great if anyone is looking to convert their auto to
manual since I can get many of the small pieces for you for a good
price.

Thanks,

Brandon

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:00:32 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: New delorean owner - some questions on repairs

After my weekend long trek through several neighboring states, I found a nice delorean
and made a purchase. The car is in very nice shape, but, as any 25 year old car, has some
issues that need to be addressed. I have an idea on how to fix some, but if anyone could
help with suggestions or tips, please, I would much appreciate the support.

- The AC is said to work when the compressor is jumped to the battery, but it will not turn
on from the dash switch. There is a constant hissing behind the dash. *My assumption* is
that it is the mode switch. I know Gradys sells a replacement for the rubber part that tends
to break down. Does this sound like the correct diagnosis?

- The door lights do not work nor (I do not believe) do the engine or trunk lights. *My
assumption* is that it is fuses or relays that need to be replaced, and I am planning on
getting the kits from one of the vendors. I also read that some people might disconnect
them for shows, which is highly possible with this car. Where would I look for such a
thing?

- The one tail light flickers. *My assumption* is that it is a bad connection on the board. I
know they can be replaced, but I thought I also recall someone saying you can use a nut
and bolt to tighten up the light compartment for better contact. Any ideas on this?

- I do not believe the reverse lights worked. My friend who went with me said he did not
recall them going on during the test drive. I am lost at this one as I never read about this
issue before.

- The volt meter on the guages did not register. Could this be a fuse or relay issue? Owner
said it did work to his knowledge prior to the test drive.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas. My assumptions for repairs comes from reading
several postings as well as researching D's for almost half a year before purchasing. I will
be taking delivery of the car this weekend, and these are the immediate issues that the car
has that I would like to work on. I also have a list of parts I would like to get for safety and
update reasons such as new headlights, the headlight switch saver relay, fan fail kit, air
bleeder, new fuses, new relays, fuse extender, new belts, eyebrow guards, and trailng arm
bolts. Also on the list is new tires, as the car has the originals. Thanks again.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:31:07 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

Ok,  I really like that color scheme. when I get a second project DeLorean
it will have that interior.

Darkstar

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:21:06 -0000
From: "Brandon" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Convex mirrors from Tom Niemczewski

Could you possibly do a write-up on this procedure when you figure out
how to do it?  I only want to hook up my heated mirrors if I can
control them via the defroster switch... I'm just a tad uncomfortable
with them being on constantly with the igniton.

-Brandon

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> I purchased some replacement NOS mirrors.......  I have just had my

mirrors arrive in just 8 days.

>> I will be connecting the heating element up so that the defroster

switch deals with the mirrors as well as the rear window.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:03:08 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I have to take exception with 2 points in this post. If you use
silicone sealer on the red silicone seal for the otterstadt the red
silicone seal will fail (it will split, again, ask me how I know!).
The other point, you CAN have so much air in the radiator that you
will not get enough circulation to have the otterstadt switch work.
You MUST bleed the radiator. All it takes is loosening either hose at
the top of the radiator. When the air stops hissing and you get a
couple of drops of coolant you did enough. If the system is working
properly there is a "self bleeder" on the radiator which sends the air
to the header bottle. It can't do the initial job though, it can only
do small amounts of air. The fitting that the otterstadt switch and
seal goes into in the pipe MUST me smooth and clean or the seal will
not work. You can clean it up with some sandpaper if necessary. Be
careful not to overpressure the system. Generally you will blow the
end tanks off the radiator before anything else. Have the pressure cap
tested. The header bottle should be 1/2 full cold. On the cars I have
seen the switch (or seal) leak it was either the seal was
deteriorated, the switch had a crack in it, or the pipe was corroded
and was no longer smooth.