Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2746
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
19 Jul 2005 00:21:56 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: RPM Relay
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

2. Re: RPM Relay
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

3. Re: New delorean owner - some questions on repairs
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: New delorean owner - some questions on repairs
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

5. New phone number.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Cooling System - general question
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

7. RE: New delorean owner - some questions on repairs
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. Re: New delorean owner - some questions on repairs
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. privacy concerns
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

10. Re: Console clock- update
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

11. ac condenser hose
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. mailing list or complaint department?
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

13. New Vacuum Leak Location
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

14. Re: New delorean owner - some questions on repairs
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. Historic Status
From: rick abarca <stangboy70us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. RE: Re: Ignorant DJ
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

19. Idle Speed Motor Control
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Re: More cars at the DCS 2006 event
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

21. Re: RPM Relay
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

22. DMC Covercraft Fitted Car Cover Price Increase
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

23. Convex Mirror Wiring Modificaton
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

24. BTTF theater pics
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. FV fixed!
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:57:46 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Re: RPM Relay

The RPM relay is a pretty simple circuit based on a 555 timer chip.
The basic logic of the circuit is that a received pulse from the tach
causes the 555 timer chip to activate for it's timeout period (a
couple seconds). As long as it receives another tach pulse before its
timeout elapses, the timeout resets and the circuit stays active. The
net effect is that the relay activates on the first received tach
pulse and then deactivates a couple seconds after the last received
pulse.

For the cost of a new relay, it's really not worth messing with a
malfunctioning one.

   Knut

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_p...> wrote:

>> I think Knut Grimsrud published a schematic of the RPM relay in one

of

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:05:23 -0700
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

Dave,
The RPM relay only powers the fuel pump. The frequency value runs
continuously as long as the ignition is turned on. The Lambda system has
it's own relay that has a metal case and is right next to the green module.
However, both systems are related in that they are both powered by the #7 fuse.

Should the RPM relay fail, it's best just to replace it as they aren't that
much. If you don't know how old it is or if it's original, simply replace
it now as preventative maintenance.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:27:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: New delorean owner - some questions on repairs

--- Derek <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net> wrote:
<SNIP>

>> - The AC is said to work when the compressor is
>> jumped to the battery, but it will not turn
>> on from the dash switch. There is a constant hissing
>> behind the dash. *My assumption* is
>> that it is the mode switch. I know Gradys sells a
>> replacement for the rubber part that tends
>> to break down. Does this sound like the correct
>> diagnosis?

We recently had a discussion about this (last week!).
The hissing is probably unrelated to the compressor
turn on.  The Grady "rubber part" should fix your
hissing problem..  However, the compressor problem may
either be low freon or an electrical problem (Bad low
pressure switch, for example).

>> - The door lights do not work nor (I do not believe)
>> do the engine or trunk lights. *My
>> assumption* is that it is fuses or relays that need
>> to be replaced, and I am planning on
>> getting the kits from one of the vendors. I also
>> read that some people might disconnect
>> them for shows, which is highly possible with this
>> car. Where would I look for such a
>> thing?

It was common for the light in the engine compartment
to melt and cause a short.  The fuse may be blown
because of it.  But, check the electrical connections
at the switch in the engine compartment.   Same for
the doors, check the switches to see if the wires have
been removed...  This takes less effort than asking
the question on the DML!

>> - The one tail light flickers. *My assumption* is
>> that it is a bad connection on the board. I
>> know they can be replaced, but I thought I also
>> recall someone saying you can use a nut
>> and bolt to tighten up the light compartment for
>> better contact. Any ideas on this?

Yup, Either replace the boards with the Grady ones or
try to repair your old ones.

http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=26

>> - I do not believe the reverse lights worked. My
>> friend who went with me said he did not
>> recall them going on during the test drive. I am
>> lost at this one as I never read about this
>> issue before.

Could be the tail light boards, or the reverse switch
in the transmission.

>> - The volt meter on the guages did not register.
>> Could this be a fuse or relay issue? Owner
>> said it did work to his knowledge prior to the test
>> drive.

Get yourself a service manual, and schematics.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:56:35 -0400
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

Answers in-line...

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:00:32 -0000
  "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net> wrote:

>>- The AC is said to work when the compressor is jumped to
>>the battery, but it will not turn
>>on from the dash switch. There is a constant hissing
>>behind the dash. *My assumption* is
>>that it is the mode switch. I know Gradys sells a
>>replacement for the rubber part that tends
>>to break down. Does this sound like the correct
>>diagnosis?

perhaps correct... also check vac hoses on back of switch,
be sure none are knocked loose...

>>- The door lights do not work nor (I do not believe) do
>>the engine or trunk lights. *My
>>assumption* is that it is fuses or relays that need to be
>>replaced, and I am planning on
>>getting the kits from one of the vendors. I also read
>>that some people might disconnect
>>them for shows, which is highly possible with this car.
>>Where would I look for such a
>>thing?

Under dash, kneepads... the wires plug into the switch
(posts) where door closes on them.

In engine bay, there is a 2 wire plunger style switch near
the resistor on the back wall.. left rear corner.

>>- The one tail light flickers. *My assumption* is that it
>>is a bad connection on the board. I
>>know they can be replaced, but I thought I also recall
>>someone saying you can use a nut
>>and bolt to tighten up the light compartment for better
>>contact. Any ideas on this?

There are 2 rivits that hold each bulb holder to the
circuit boards in each side of the car... you can pass a
small bolt through each rivet and tighten down to crush
the rivet and restore contact... or get reacement boards.

>>- I do not believe the reverse lights worked. My friend
>>who went with me said he did not
>>recall them going on during the test drive. I am lost at
>>this one as I never read about this
>>issue before.

The reverse light switch is located on the 5-speed
transmission (dunno about the auto) under the car on the
driver side... has 2 wires that go to it and a rubber boot
over it.

>>- The volt meter on the guages did not register. Could
>>this be a fuse or relay issue? Owner
>>said it did work to his knowledge prior to the test
>>drive.

Not sure...

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:28:55 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: New phone number.

Group, I now have a toll free number for you to call in on.
It is 888-278-1629. If I don't answer leave you Short message,( not
whats wrong with the car )and I will call you back. I have been
spending a lot of time in the shop and making new products.
1-888-278-1629

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:18:16 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Cooling System - general question

I am trying to understand the whole pressure situation with the
cooling system.  Is it supposed to operate under pressure?  The
previous owner of my car installed the self-bleeder arrangement.  If
the bleeder continuously bleeds air, doesn't that mean the system
cannot pressurize if air/fluid is always "bleeding" from the system,
or am I not quite understanding how this system works?  I also didn't
think the condition of my overflow bottle cap wasn't that important,
either, since I had the bleeder and that any overflow would simply
exit the overflow tube?  What is the relationship between pressure,
the cap, bleeder arrangement and overflow tube from the bottle.  I
don't see how they work together.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:20:31 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Derek, Congratulations on the purchase.
The mode switch has 2 parts to it. One is the seal which as you know if it
leaks will have an effect on how the car runs due to leaky vacuum and the
doors in the evaporator box not opening properly.
2nd is the contacts that route the power/voltage to the compressor and the
blower motor fan speed switch. The seal goes out quite often but normally
the switch part id ok. Be sure the power going into the mode switch on #10
fuse is ok and if it is you can check the switch to see if it transfers it
as you turn it with a DMM. If that part is working then you need to check
the freon level or the or the compressor won't turn on. You may have to jump
the cycling switch on the side of the ac accumulator to test and get it
started.
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/AC-accumulator-connections
.jpg

Your on the right track for the lights buy also checking the bulbs,fuses and
connections. A battery cut off switch would be in order for shows when you
won't to leave the doors open and also security when your not in the car.
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/electrical-2.html

Tail light boards is common for the connections to loosen over time. You can
buy new ones or I can normally recondition the boards buy soldering the
connections and sealing the boards with weather proof seal for a permanent
connections.
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/electrical.html

Reverse light is normally a switch or the connection on the side of the
transmission.

The volt meter on the dash could be from several things so you may want to
call or do some voltage checks in the relay box on #5 fuse. Grounds are also
a big part of the trouble.
our new toll free number is 1-888-278-1629.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:33:30 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Heh, heh...welcome to the wonderful world of upgrades and repairs  :)
I purchased my vehicle several months ago (original except for tires
and stainless overflow bottle), and am fixing/upgrading little by
little. You will get a lot of different opinions (as well as mine) of
what you should do first. If you can contact and get together with
other owners, they are best resource to look your car over.
I believe your first concern would be safety issues (tail lights,
reverse lights, brakes) and ensure all the recalls have been
installed. Next, the known problems that will eventually bite you
such as relays, fan fail, and replace all the fuses at the same time.
Clean, and keep the old ones as emergency spares or buy new. Next
tackle the suspension/ride issues, and finally the cosmetic (eyebrow
guards and new headlights). Since your tires are the original NCT's,
I would consider that a safety issue. Just a thought.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_v...> wrote:

>> After my weekend long trek through several neighboring states, I

found a nice delorean

>> and made a purchase. The car is in very nice shape, but, as any 25

year old car, has some

>> issues that need to be addressed. I have an idea on how to fix

some, but if anyone could

>> help with suggestions or tips, please, I would much appreciate the

support.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:46:10 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: privacy concerns

I would be furious if a vendor (or any company I do business with)
published information on my purchasing habits without getting my prior
permission.

Most commercial websites have a published "Privacy Policy" where they
specifically state that your private info will be "used for ABC but not
XYZ".  It's more about principle than about when I last bought a set of
spark plugs.  I certainly divulge all manner of private info here and
elsewhere, but it was my prerogative to do so, or not.  In all fairness to
Rob, he was responding in a legal matter and may have ultimately been
compelled to provide such information, since sales records and not
generally considered privileged.

While I'm sure none of the vendors are selling my personal info to, say, a
spammer, there is nothing preventing them from doing so except their
integrity.

FWIW, James Espey asked for my permission to use my words in one DMCH's
ads, even though they had plucked the quote right off the DML.  I really
appreciated that.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:32:31 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Console clock- update

My clock has also failed, but by running at about 10x speed (flux
capacitor?!??).  An inspection revealed no obvious damage, and
re-soldiering the components yielded nothing.  I did note that the
upper-right corner you spoke of gets very hot, about 130 degrees according
to my IR pyrometer.  I assume that's normal, but part of what "ages" that
corner of the clock.

I'm guessing my clock crystal has flipped, so for now I'm just leaving it
unplugged.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com wrote on 07/16/2005 06:17:02 PM:

>> Okay...I took the time to take my clock out and see why it does not

work. I

>> think I figured out why but was wondering if I can fix mine or just buy

>> new one. All 4 wires are in place and look fine. However, about 20

percent

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:38:41 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: ac condenser hose

Group,
I have added the last of the AC hoses 110525 to the sight. It goes
from the condenser to the evap core. Were now complete on AC as far
as I can tell. If you have a different set up, then let me know
and we will try to build what you need. As always they are brand
new and carry a 5 year warranty.
John Hervey
new 888-278-1629 12/7 from 9 am till 9 pm
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/AC-Cooling.html

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:13:53 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Occasionally we see a post here of "I just bought a Knuter valve from
Vendor XYZ but it had no installation instructions!!!"  And we generally
see a reply of "Well, did you ask them about it?!??"

I think David T. hit it on the head when he said that good vendors stand
behind their work.  I've had issues with vendors but I took it up with the
parties in question and was satisfied with the results.  For instance,
when DMCH swapped out my engine, they managed to lose my engine cover.
Now, I have a brand-new engine cover and am quite happy.

The case of DMC Joe is quite different.  He apparently had personal issues
that led him to allegedly defraud customers in order to stay solvent.  The
effected parties were attempting to resolve the issues with the vendor
before airing it all out here.  Once a comment is posted onto the
Internet, it's very difficult to say "oops" and take it back.

If I had a girlfriend that never told me when I did something wrong but
instead proceeded to trash me behind my back, I would get myself a new
date for the prom.  So feel free to speak your mind here on the DML, but
take your issues back to vendors and give them a chance before you sour
the relationship.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:25:49 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: New Vacuum Leak Location

Well today i was fixing the loose linkage ball on my throttle lever and
noticed the whole throttle body was loose. I discovered the rubber boot
#102772 was tore all along the bottom. This boot connects the Throttle
Body/Butterfly Assembly to the Metering Body of the fuel system.

I always had fluctuation in my MPG and the car hunted with the air on
and i could never figure it out, now i know why.

Now this is a 25 year old rubber part on our cars that can wear out. If
you have a vacuum leak that you cant find this is a new place to look.

With the replacement part i just bought from Josh Haldeman all my
problems should be solved.

I didnt need a Multi-meter or Fishing pole to figure out this problem.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:10:32 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Derek,

>> - The AC is said to work when the compressor is jumped to the battery, but it will not turn
>> on from the dash switch. There is a constant hissing behind the dash. *My assumption* is
>> that it is the mode switch. I know Gradys sells a replacement for the rubber part that tends
>> to break down. Does this sound like the correct diagnosis?

You probably have two problems here, I'll address the latter. The
hissing is the mode switch. You might not have to buy anything. Take
it out, take it apart, and look at the condition of the rubber part.
May just need to be cleaned. Lubricate with a small (small!) amount of
vasoline, put it back together. Also check all of the vacuum
connections back there. If it still doesn't work right, buy a new
rubber part (should come with a new plastic "clip" to hold it in).

>> - The door lights do not work nor (I do not believe) do the engine or trunk lights. *My
>> assumption* is that it is fuses or relays that need to be replaced, and I am planning on
>> getting the kits from one of the vendors. I also read that some people might disconnect
>> them for shows, which is highly possible with this car. Where would I look for such a
>> thing?

Door pins. Front of the door jamb, there's a pin that goes in when you
close the door. The electrical connection behind it just pops on and
off. Yours may be hanging there; hook them back up to the pins.

>> - The one tail light flickers. *My assumption* is that it is a bad connection on the board. I
>> know they can be replaced, but I thought I also recall someone saying you can use a nut
>> and bolt to tighten up the light compartment for better contact. Any ideas on this?

Yeah, pull the taillight out, take the board out, and you'll see where
the sockets hook to the board. I cleaned & resoldered mine,
personally. But the nut/bolt method works too. There are holes where
the sockets connect to the board, you can put a small bolt through it
and tighten down.

>> - I do not believe the reverse lights worked. My friend who went with me said he did not
>> recall them going on during the test drive. I am lost at this one as I never read about this
>> issue before.

Probably your reverse light switch, it's on the transmission (on a 5
speed, no idea on an automatic as I don't own one). Look at the
driver's side of the tranny, about the center of it, you'll see it
sticking out. Unhook the two wires going into it and jumper them. If
your lights work replace the switch. Easy fix, it just screws out, new
one screws in. I had the same problem.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:34:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: rick abarca <stangboy70us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Historic Status

Are there historic plates to our D's in New York?  If
so, does anyone know if we need to have an emissions test?

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:43:40 -0400
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Ignorant DJ

Having owned both I agree that the Delorean is a reliable car but I also own
a 308 QV which is every bit as reliable and yes, I can and have gone in 1500
mile trips in it. ANY car that has not been maintained is a risk.

Dom

>>From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

dom_diaz=hotmail.com_at_dml_returns.groups.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:31:07 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures

In a message dated 7/18/2005 2:59:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com writes:
Giugiaro's personal D that is at Ital Design.  These were taken by
the DeLorean Owners club in Italy.  His two-tone interior looks absolutely
amazing. >>
I wonder if it was outfitted with spare pieces... or sample pieces related to
tan interiors of the "gold" DeLoreans?
Wayne A. Ernst
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:27:52 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

The seat upholstery looks very similar to the way Maserati did their
seats in the old Biturbo and Quattroporte. Like anything else, I think
it's subjective whether or not it looks good. I agree that the shade
of the tan is better than the orange tan of the gold cars. Is the VIN
of this car listed anywhere? It's apparently a relatively early VIN.

James

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_a...> wrote:

>> I saw this posted on Tamir's site forum today and thought everyone

here might like to take a

>> look at the differences in Giugiaro's personal D that is at Ital

Design.  These were taken by

>> the DeLorean Owners club in Italy.  His two-tone interior looks

absolutely amazing.  Too bad

>> DMCH doesn't offer tan colors like that for the seats and center

console. Maybe this could be

>> taken into consideration next time DMCH makes an order for more

interior pieces?  I think it

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:31:37 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Idle Speed Motor Control

Has anyone here have any experience at removing and repairing the idle speed
motor?

I finally found the cause of my high idle.
I had others look at the car and everyone checked the micro switch, vacuum,
etc..
It was Elvis that told me to check this thing, and he was right!
I noticed if I grab the connector on top and pull it forward the motor
corrects
the idle and it drops down to normal.
However, after messing with it I am thinking the problem is on the inside of
the motor and not the connectors as they look to be clean and without
stress.
I was just curious if anyone has experience dealing with this part.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:20:00 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: More cars at the DCS 2006 event

The much more, the much merrier!!

Since the DCS 2006 event will also be the 25th anniversary of the
DeLorean marque, I think it is more important than ever to get as
many DeLoreans to this event than ever before.  In fact, I hope to
offer other incentives to everyone who makes an extra effort to be
there with their DeLoreans (or who make the trip from overseas) by
offering some special door prizes and other incentives to them.

With the proximity of the DCS event to active DMC clubs, we would
like to get at least 150-200 DeLoreans to this event, with the
ultimate goal of 250 for the 25th anniversary.  Yes, this sounds
like a lofty goal, but considering there are nearly 300 registered
DeLoreans in Illinois alone, this should not be an impossible task.
I will be sending a show mailer out to all Illinois owners soon.

If you were at the DCS 2000 event, you know how cool 100+ DeLoreans
looked lined up on the pier in two rows (one heck of a cool photo),
so 200+ DeLoreans should look at least twice as cool all lined up.
Roof top and ariel photo opportunities will be available too.

So, plan to bring your DeLorean to make this an extra special event
and it does not matter if its custom or stock, WE WANT IT THERE!!

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:15:03 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

The relay is a double-contact relay. Obviously one of the contacts is
still closed when the engine dies. I've had the contacts warp and bend
and not close when they should, or close when they shouldn't.

I had to straighten them with a needlenose pliers. A schematic can be
found in the manual in the fuel section.

Rich A.

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:24:56 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>
Subject: DMC Covercraft Fitted Car Cover Price Increase

Hi All,

 If you have been considering purchasing a custom-fitted DMC car cover
from the Project Vixen Site Store, please note that the prices will
increase from $20-$30 effective July 27th (due to a global increase in
pricing by CoverCraft).   Soooo... if you'd like to beat the price
increases, please order before that date.

 (The pricing of the DMC Houston cover will be remaining at $179 as far
as I am aware of.)

The URL is http://www.projectvixen.com/sitestore/DeLorean-Car-Covers.htm

-Dave Stragand

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:41:28 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: Convex Mirror Wiring Modificaton

I have completed a wiring modification for the convex mirror heating
pads. I will attempt to describe what I did so it can be replicated.
You can refer to section E9 of the Zilla schematic diagram. (If you
don't have one you can get it here: http://tinyurl.com/ae5he. Well
worth the donation IMHO. ) It should only take a few minutes in the
fuse box bay, some wire and a standard 30 amp relay readily
available at Radio Shack.
With my modification the mirror heating pads and mirror motors will
only work with the rear defrost on.
You will need to locate the green wire w/ white stripe that runs
from the shifter tunnel past the fuse box (in the large bundle of
wires) through to the back behind the parcel shelf. You should
actually find three wires in the large bundle color coded this way.
The other two you don't want turn off to the fuse box area.
You will also want to locate a white wire w/ black stripe.
I will use the "standard" numbers that should be on the bottom of
the relay to identify what goes where.
#86 - Run a wire and tap the White/black wire (this is the power
wire for the rear defrost circuit. I used it to for the control wire
for the relay.)
#30 & 87 - You will have to cut the green/white wire. Run one side
to each terminal. This is the power wire for the power mirrors and
also the heating pads you are interupting with the relay.
#85 - run a wire to tap the black wire (relay ground) found in the
unused relay connector in the fuse box compartment (or any other
wired ground you want to use).
That's all, your done. I do recommend soldering and heat shrinking
for the connections if you have the time and ability.
If anyone finds a better, easier way please let us all know.
If there are any flaws please let me know so it can be corrected so
as not to lead others astray.
Thanks,
Stephen

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:23:03 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: BTTF theater pics

[note - in the photos section]

i posted some of the pics i took from the back to the future showing at marcus
theater in orland park, il.  it was great!  there was room for 4 cars on the sidewalk,
and an area taped off in the lot for other cars that showed up.  all together, there
were around 8 or 9 cars that showed.

there is a good pic of rich talking to carlos and his father.  carlos lives near me.  he
has a single turbo car that, unfortunatly, has not run been running for quit a while.
my delorean is the one parked next to the BTTF mockup.

it was a great time.  a lot of people hung out near the cars for a long time.  im SURE
they were late to their movies!

well, just thought i'd let everyone know how that went.

oh, and the movie was awsome too!

corey

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:20:13 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: FV fixed!

FINALLY! After taking the fuel pump out of the tank to replace the
supply hose with a upgraded one, I notice now my frequency valve runs
constant and the engine is smooth. It must have been that my return
line was somehow kinked in the baffle slowing or stopping fuel from
returning causing the FV to get backed up. Those with FV troubles may
want to check this out. Thank you all for your help! -----Dani B. #5003