Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2747
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
19 Jul 2005 19:23:50 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Re: RPM Relay
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. RE: DMC Covercraft Fitted Car Cover Price Increase
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

3. R-12 Certification and purchase
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

4. Re: Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

5. Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

6. Re: privacy concerns
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

7. Re: Convex Mirror Wiring Modificaton - link correction
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

8. Re: Cooling System - general question
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

9. manual transmission leaking
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: manual transmission leaking
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

11. Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Schematic to the RPM Relay
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Concours d'Elegance
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

14. Re: BTTF theater pics
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. DMCNews Website Updates
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

16. RE: Idle Speed Motor Control
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

17. Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

18. Re: manual transmission leaking
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

19. Re: Historic Status
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

20. Won't Start
From: "dmc01081" <rgoodwin2001_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: R-12 Certification and purchase
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. RE: mailing list or complaint department?
From: "rob" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:11:14 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: RPM Relay

FYI, electronics people call this a "retriggerable monostable" or
"retriggerable one-shot".  Not that that's terribly important. (Because it
isn't!)  It's just a bit of electronics trivia for anyone who's interested.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:24:21 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: DMC Covercraft Fitted Car Cover Price Increase

I have the weathershield version of this cover and they fit well and hold
onto the car very well even in windy weather. It also packs really tight.
highly recommended. although next time I think I'll go for the Noah cause
it's a bit cheaper and has many of the same features except it will not pack
nearly as tightly.

Darkstar

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:01:25 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: R-12 Certification and purchase

 In an off line discussion with Marty G. I was surprised to learn how
easy it was to get IMACA certification to buy R-12.  He was right - less
than an hour online and $15 later I'm all set.  See
http://www.imaca.org/index.htm

I still have some pressure in my system, so short term all I need to do
is top it off (yes its legal - I got that one right on the test) and am
now shopping for a couple of cans of R12 and a tap.  Plenty of options
on Ebay but I'd rather support a someone here if anyone has it to sell.
Right now I'm looking for two cans and a charging tap/pressure gauge.
Anyone here sell that to IMACA certified parties?  Anyone seen a good
deal?

Tom

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:33:28 -0700
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures

I did a thorough documentation of the Giugiaro DeLorean at the Italian show.
Pictures and video will be on my site during my next update.

I can tell you a little about the car from what I observed.  The car is a
July 1981 build with Vin #SCEDT26T9BD002465.  It has 3,200 miles on it and
is an Automatic.

>From my observations of the car, it is not a prototype at all.  The car
appears to be a black automatic that was given to Giugiaro, and then
Giugiaro and his team experimented with the interior of the car.  All of the
carpets in the car have been switched to custom beige/tan.  All the
headliners were matched with this color.  And the parts of the car such as
the center console, knee pad, sun visors, etc., were restitched with
beige/tan leather.  The seats are the same stock seats, you can tell by the
headrests.  But the design of the padding of the seats internally were
modified to make it feel and look much more like the 1980 style DeLorean
prototype/pre-production car that can be seen in the early brochures.  I sat
in the car and drove around in it, and the seats were very comfortable.

I was speaking to Giugiaro's representative, and he said that the car was
built in Italy (He has only been with Giugiaro for the last six years).  I
highly doubt this though.  It really appears to have been given to them, and
then they made alterations at Ital Design.  The funniest part of the car
were the gas struts for the car.  They were installed upside down and were
humongous.  Not sure if the pictures posted show this, but I have close ups
and I am shocked the door even can shut.  No engine or undercarriage pieces
appear different from a stock DeLorean.

Hope this helps with the myth of the Giugiaro DeLorean.  Expect a full
report on my web-site sometime in the near future.  Also, big thanks to the
organizers of the Italian DeLorean Show.  I just got back from my vast
European trip and had a blast.  The show they put on was a lot of fun.  I
had a great time with the Italian owners and fans as well as the German
owners that came down.  All a bunch of great people and they had a few very
cool DeLoreans on hand.

Regards,
Tamir

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:38:49 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Interesting coincidence - my curent restoration project (soon to be for
sale) is the next one in line, VIN 2466, a black interior gas-flap
automatic.

Dave Swingle

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:52:06 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: privacy concerns

Gus,

On 7/18/05, Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com> wrote:

>> I would be furious if a vendor (or any company I do business with)
>> published information on my purchasing habits without getting my prior
>> permission.

Agreed. I wasn't talking about vendors, however. I was talking about
person to person interaction. An example would be you and I getting
together for lunch, and you mention you really like the new DMCH
suspension you've installed on your car. A week later people are
discussing the suspension on the DML and I say, "Yeah, Gus said he
really likes his." Then you get mad at me.

I don't think that's reasonable and I don't think it makes any sense.
A reasonable person would not think it necessary to keep such a
conversation private unless requested to do so. Obviously, this
changes when you're a business dealing with customers.

>> elsewhere, but it was my prerogative to do so, or not.  In all fairness to
>> Rob, he was responding in a legal matter and may have ultimately been
>> compelled to provide such information, since sales records and not
>> generally considered privileged.

Actually, I wasn't talking about Rob at all. Another individual posted
a message regarding someone getting upset with him for divulging work
that had been done on that someone's car.

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:54:35 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: Re: Convex Mirror Wiring Modificaton - link correction

Corrected link:
http://tinyurl.com/ae5he
or
http://deloreanparts.com/zilla_054.htm

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 01:06:24 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling System - general question

If you've read my previous posts on cooling problems, you have seen
what a bad cap can do to your system. Pressure is built up by the
heating of your coolant, if you were to boil water with a pot and then
try to hold a lid on it when it's hot, pressure will be built up and
the lid will blow off (DON'T TRY IT, just get the idea!). The coolant
gets to a certain point and stops before reaching a boiling point and
blowing out the overflow-because it is being cooled it doesn't go to
extreme pressure. Your bleeder works in a manner that it connects to a
lower part in the system and forces the trapped air to mix with the
coolant that is going ONLY back into the coolant tank (smaller
diameter hose on the top)-which contains air 1-so the coolant can
expand, and 2 since it is located highest in the whole system where it
can't escape back into the system. Pressure in the tank helps push the
coolant, no pressure and it will start to boil as your cylinders get
hotter...after that things will warp and seize, those wonderful
things. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 01:31:57 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: manual transmission leaking

Hey all.. I just got done installing anew clutch and rear main seal in my car
last month.. and now I am noticing the frame and the whole bottom of the
transmission are wet with gear fluid i think from the tranny.. I dont think the
rear main is leaking cause I havent lost any oil according to the dipstick..
anyone ever have the shaft or other seals in the trans leak?? Or is it possible
it is overly full?? I filled it to the plug hole... I really dont feel like taking it back
out again but if i must... I also dont even know if u can get a seal for the shaft
end or if that is where it is even leaking.. any suggestions??
thanks..Dave..vin..15275

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:03:14 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: manual transmission leaking

I just did this, you can replace the seals but requires you to open
the transmission up. Verify what kind of fluid it is - engine oil, gear oil, and DOT 4 have very different smells and looks. It's unlikely you've disturbed the seals inside the trans, and even with slight overfilling will not leak...It could be your bleed screw on the slave isn't seated, leaky line-that's why you need to find out what kind of fluid it is. -----Dani B. #5003

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_y...>

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:30:53 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

  Not really fond of the color, but where can I score some of those
badges on the quarter panel????
Harry

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:52:49 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Schematic to the RPM Relay

Well I just spent several hours drawing out the schematic for the RPM
Relay.  Let's see at $250 / hour (yeah, I wish) and a new one is $50
I'd say this was another one of those less than efficient uses of my
time.  But it was a learning experience and I have uploaded it to the
files section for all my DeLorean friends.  If anyone has any questions
or comments RSVP.

D & 6530
Dave Delman

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:38:54 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Concours d'Elegance

If anyone happens to be in the Detroit area this weekend, there is
going to be a great car show at Cranbrook in Bloomfield Hills, MI on
Sunday. I was fortunate enough to get my car entered in the show, so
the Delorean community will have representation among some of the
finest marques in the world! I entered too late to be featured on the
website, but it would be great if some D owners could make it out.
Here is the website with all the info for the show:
http://www.concoursatcranbrook.com/

Sandor
# 3002

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:54:13 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF theater pics

Here are a few more sent in by Rich W

http://www.dmcnews.com/events/marcus_bttf/marcus.html

What a cool theatre.....

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> [note - in the photos section]
>> i posted some of the pics i took from the back to the future

showing at marcus theater in orland park, il.  it was great!

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 04:11:23 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: DMCNews Website Updates

I've just added several tech articles on www.dmcnews.com.
http://www.dmcnews.com/techmain.htm . Some of this was directly submitted by subscribers, some is condensed from the list. Some is moved from the files/photos section of the Yahoo page because it's getting too full and I have to delete things. Feel free to submit directly.

Tomorrow - the vanity plates...

Coming soon - an updated searchable archive - still in progress with
some help.

Dave Swingle - on vacation this week and getting some of the list-admin caught up.

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 05:14:26 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Idle Speed Motor Control

I've had alot of experience with these motors and they can be tricky little
buggers to say the least.  As with anything a loose connection either
internal or external in the motor will result in poor or no operation.  I
say to save time slap a good motor on and see how it works.

I recently redid the entire top end for a guy here in NC and one of his
biggest problems was an unstable idle (join the club.)  While disassembling
everything I took the motor off and noticed that the arrow on the decal was
pointing in the wrong direction.  Someone in the past stuck his motor on
backwards.  We tested it and it worked but not very well and we, of course,
bought a new one.

Car starts first crank and idles like a dream (we replaced the Microswitch
and Vacuum Solenoid as well.)

Jeff

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:26:49 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

James, I think it is VIN 2465 - relatively early....

The seats are very comfortable and the whole tan interior
is made of leather, that's what I liked most about it.

What the car also has is a battery cut off switch which was
said to be installed at DMC back then. This is one reason
why they call it a "prototype".

Maybe DMCH should send them a full set of gas struts to replace
the wrong ones that are installed. To shut the doors somebody
has to sit on it or has to hang on the door strap...
the louvre can't be opened completely as the struts are too short...
...but they said this was original...

Besides that the car is in a good condition and was driven
not too softly thru the hills of San Marino at around 100F
without any trouble.
Not bad for a car that normally is kept in a museum.

Elvis & 6548...slept one night next to Giugiaro's DMC  ;-)

-- GMX DSL = Maximale Leistung zum minimalen Preis! 2000 MB nur 2,99, Flatrate ab 4,99 Euro/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 18 Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:05:56 -0500 From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com> Subject: Re: manual transmission leaking If the trans and frame are wet, it's probably coming from somewhere forward of the clutch area. Leaks tend to flow toward the rear of the car. Wash it down with spray brake cleaner and try to find the place of origin. If it is at the tail, (front) of the trans check to see if the main shaft nut has machined a hole in the cap. If not, keep looking. Gear oil smells much stronger than motor oil, so be sure it is indeed that. Suspect everything, let your eyes tell you what's wrong. We have the 103177 clutch shaft seal, $20.93. Warren at DMC painterdave72 wrote:

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:16:32 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Historic Status

Hello...  as to the historic plates the NYS DMV is on line and may be  able
to answer that  question.  As far as emissions test:  Not  required.  If you
get a stickler they may want to see a catalyic convertor  on the car.  Since
emissions testing is not required for any car prior to  1995 I would not be
concerned with it.  Roy #0893

In a message dated 7/18/2005 8:06:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
stangboy70us_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

Are  there historic plates to our D's in New York?  If
so, does anyone know  if we need to have an emissions test

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:23:50 -0000
From: "dmc01081" <rgoodwin2001_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Won't Start

Bought my car a few months ago, been nothing "fun and adventures"
since.  All and all, I consider myself fortunate and have had
relatively few problems with this high mileage car; besides the new
tires, oil changes, filters etc However lately, after sitting for a
period of a week with out being driven car will not start.
Electrics seem to be in working order as the car will crank and
crank as long as the battery will allow but not turn over.  This is
the second time such an experience has accrued; the first was a few
weeks ago.  I was able to start the car that time with the every so
trusty, can of ether, applied liberally.  Car drove and did great
for those few weeks until recently and will not turn over.  I am
sure I could get it going again with more ether but this seems like
a quick fix and am only masking the problem. Could it be that the
fuel pump is not priming but works after fuel is flowing to the
engine? Could it be bad gas?  Distributor? If anybody has some
suggestions/recommendations I would be thankful.

Robert
Houston TX

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:06:24 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: R-12 Certification and purchase

I thought that "topping off" a system was a bad thing, and it needed
to be completed evacuated? I am incorrect?

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:15:01 -0400
From: "rob" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Gus,

One of the reasons I put this information about DMC Joe on the DML is
because he did not "allegedly defraud customers". He was found GUILTY of
defrauding Chris Bowman in a court of law. I also know he defrauded me but
have so far chosen not to sue him because I don't have the time to go to
court in Atlanta to pursue the matter considering the, relatively speaking,
small amount involved. I've also heard numerous complaints about him from
others so I'm somewhat surprised that more people haven't chimed in on this
issue. I realize his previous popularity may have a lot to do with this. I
don't believe in making unproven allegations about any vender for obvious
reasons. I did however promise Chris Bowman who was hesitant to post his
experiences with DMC Joe that I would back him up if he summoned the courage
to do so. My reason for this is simply to prevent Joe Lore from defrauding
anyone else as he recently showed a renewed interest in the mailing list. He
is perfectly free to challenge my comments or sue me for libel if he thinks
he has a case. I just don't want to see anyone else ripped off...plain and
simple.

Rob Grady