Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2748
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
20 Jul 2005 16:21:03 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

2. Re: Won't Start
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

3. fuel distributor hoses
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

4. RE: Re: R-12 Certification and purchase
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

5. Old gas in Tank
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. water pump hoses
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Emission Testing
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: R-12 Certification and purchase
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. DeLorean World magazines
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Brand New OEM Craig Radio On Ebay...with clock?
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

11. No A/C under dashboard
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: fuel distributor hoses
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

13. Re: Emission Testing
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

14. Re: No A/C under dashboard
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. Re: fuel distributor hoses
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

16. RPM Relay Schematic Updated
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

17. Update-dw magazine
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>

18. Re: Emission Testing
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

19. Video Bob produced an excellent set of DVD's
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Emission Testing
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. Re: R-12 Certification and purchase
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

22. Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

23. 14 Issues of DeLorean World Magazine For Sale
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Re: No A/C under dashboard
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. RE: No A/C under dashboard
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:32:43 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures

I liked those too. Seen them on the early Esprits. I think the ones on the Esprits said designed by guigario or something. Would look good on the louvre I think.
If you find them, let me know!

Thomas
Vin #4087
Belfast

spaceace3113 <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
Not really fond of the color, but where can I score some of those
badges on the quarter panel????
Harry

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:34:10 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Won't Start

Classic no-start troubleshooting begins with a fire-or-fuel
determination.  In a Delorean it almost always fuel.  Make sure there is
fuel in the tank.(I have forgotten this step before.) See if the pump is
running by cracking the banjo bolt on top of the cold start valve
immediately after you've ground the starter for ten seconds or so.  Fuel
should spray out alarmingly.  If not, the pump is not running.  Check
the usual suspects: Inertia switch and the #1 and #7 fuses. If that
doesn't solve the problem, call me.  I'm just down the street.

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:57:00 -0000
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: fuel distributor hoses

I finally got around to put the engine back together, but it has been
so long I forgot how a couple of the hoses connect to the fuel
distributor. I have repair and parts manuals but there is no clear
illustration on the hose connections. Is there a illustration available
on line that shows this? Thanks

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:08:18 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: R-12 Certification and purchase

Air and moisture will not enter a system which is still under pressure,
adding R12 to bring the pressure back to nominal should restore
performance, short term.  There are two good reasons to evacuate and
repair though.  The first is that if the system has problems its best to
fix them, you are just asking for trouble otherwise - its just a matter
of time.  The second is that if the system is leaking Freon, an evil
CFC, its hurting the environment.

If the system had been opened, or if the pressure had bled off and
equalized, then there would be air and moisture and untold contaminates
in the system.  In that case there is lots of work required.

In this case the system has pressure, just less than is required to
allow it to kick on.  The AC on this car presumably did not run for 12
years or so,  if there is a leak it has been a slow one.  Its also
possible that since the car sat for 12 years only 40 feet from a group
of 20 or so full time mechanics constantly tinkering, that someone
"borrowed" a pound or so of R12 during that time in the late 90's when
lots of folks were still driving R12 cars in a world where R12 got
scarce and expensive.  I know that's what happened to the original radio
- someone decided it was better off in their car than in mine.  This is
further bolstered by the fact that the service caps for the ports were
sitting in the engine area when I found the car, not installed on the
ports.  Wishful thinking maybe but hope springs eternal.

Even if the system has not leaked, it is possible that as soon as the
pressure goes up in it for the first time in years that it will then
start to leak.  No way to know.

Ultimately I want a perfectly operating system, and I'm hoping the
system holds the R12 nicely until I have the time and resources to
rebuild the system.  In the meantime its nearing 100 degrees here every
day now and if I'm going to get this thing on the road, then I'm looking
to put a can or R12 in it to see what it does.

Tom

From: John Macias
Subject: [DML] Re: R-12 Certification and purchase

I thought that "topping off" a system was a bad thing, and it needed to be completed evacuated? I am incorrect?

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:13:06 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Old gas in Tank

The gas has been in the tank almost a year. I have venturi off to clean it
out. Can I break the line before the filter and pump the gas out and fill up
some more and pump again? Can the fuel dis (I know not to take it apart) be
flushed? Like carb cleaner.
Charles

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:16:20 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: water pump hoses

I have venturi off the car so I can see the pump real good. Should I do the
pump just cuz I am in there? can I do the small hoses with the pump in
place? Should I change to different pump style? (PLEASE NO FLAMES, for
anyone).
Charles

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:46:02 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Emission Testing

In what state is emission testing not required for a car prior to 1995?
Surely this does not apply in New York?

D & 6530

In a message dated 7/19/05 3:46 pm, dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com writes:
<< Since
emissions testing is not required for any car prior to  1995 I would not be
concerned with it.  Roy #0893 >>

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:55:46 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: R-12 Certification and purchase

Stricly speaking "topping off" is legal as long as you can say that
the system is leaking less than "x" oz per year. I don't remember
exactly what "x" is. Topping off becomes iffy when you use blended
refrigerents. Some can be topped off but only a certain # of times and
then only a maximum amount at a time. As long as the system is
pressurized above atmospheric and wasn't run much you can assume it is
still tight with no air or moisture. You will know when you top off
and read the head pressure.

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:43:44 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DeLorean World magazines

I found a box on the porch today that was split up the side with
magazines pouring out of it... I figured out immediatly that this was
the "DeLorean World" magazines that I had been waiting for!
Upon inspection I feel that they sould do some better taping or
strapping because the box alone could not hold all the magazines.

I coundted 62 issues of "DeLorean World" starting from
Volume 3, Issue 4.
There is also 6 issues of "DW Magazine".
They included a peice of paper saying that I could buy
"photocopies" of Volume One, issue 1 to Volume 3, issue 3
for $15.00 each.
What I don't understand is why these photocopied issues
where not included in the package?

So far this is a total of 68 magazines and all in mint condition.
That a cost of less than $3.00 each, so i guess I can't bitch
considering they were selling this package on thier website for
something like $545 for all of them.

There was nothing else included.
I was expecting something like a membership package,
member card, book of bylaws, sticker...something.
There is a "thanks you" and "welcome" letter included.

Well, I guess I will stack these in the bathroom and add
a little fiber to my diet so I can get a few of these read!

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:12:25 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Brand New OEM Craig Radio On Ebay...with clock?

I thought someone might like to see the auction I stubled across on ebay.  It looks to be a
brand new Craig radio for the DeLorean, but it has two buttons for hour and minute
adjustments.  I have heard that some of the Craigs had clocks built in, but had never seen
one.  Did many DeLoreans come with a Craig with a built in clock?  Mine sure doesn't have
one.

ViewItem&rd=1&category=80741&item=4562706904&sspagename=WDVW

-Patrick C.
1880
Note, this is not my auction or the auction of anyone I know.  Just thought someone in need
of a new radio might like this.

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:11:30 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: No A/C under dashboard

I just got my A/C serviced...Hallelujah! Nice and cold out of the
vents except under the dash/binnacle whatever (also no more cycling
every five seconds) Only hot air where my feet are burning even when
switched to bi/level. Any ideas? I just ordered a new diaphram for
the mode selector from PJ hoping maybe that will help.

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:28:28 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: fuel distributor hoses

I must've answered this question at least 5 times in the past, and every
time with the same answer

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/fuelhoses.htm

The DMCNews tech section is there for a reason, people <grin>

Martin

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:20:46 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Emission Testing

Minnesota has no emission testing for any vehicle.

-------------- Original message from doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com: --------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:30:00 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: No A/C under dashboard

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/heatairleak.htm

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:31:16 -0000
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

Thanks for the response, I took a guess and connected the hoses. Must
of got it right because after a year of sitting there the D started
right up. I did try to locate the information before I asked but I
havent been to this site for a long time, I guess both me and the D
are a little dusty.

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 02:44:16 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: RPM Relay Schematic Updated

Sorry guys and gals but I found that I left out several components from
the original rpm relay schematic.

This has been rectified. (Yes one of the missing parts was a diode.)

The new schematic is up in the files section as a pdf and is a bit more
compact also.

D & 6530
Dave Delman

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 04:27:41 -0000
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>
Subject: Update-dw magazine

To Association members,

We have just updated our products page on our magazine website.  For those who are now
receiving their collection of magazines, we offer binders that hold up to 16 issues per
binder.  Thank you all for your continuing support of the Association. As our membership
grows larger every day, we are always in need of volunteers to assist us in planning and
future events.  We are all very excited at the future plans we have in store for Association
members.  The magazine editor and director are always available for contact on our
website.  We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Tony Hilger
DeLorean Owners Association
dw magazine director
http://www.deloreanmagazine.com

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:24:38 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Nope, you're fine in NY; they only test the emissions by hooking up a
computer to your car here (not a probe in the exhaust stream)-
DeLoreans are exempt. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:13:53 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Video Bob produced an excellent set of DVD's

Hello Gentleman:

Just received Video Bob's DVD's in the mail today. I just wanted to share
that the DVD of Houston's open house and Ken's Pigeon Forge shows was excellent.
 Thanks Again Video Bob for the extra memorabilia!

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 05:32:35 -0000
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

Emission testing is not required on pre-1995 automobiles in NC.  It
took me all of 3 minutes to get my D inspected in June (5 additional
minutes to register the car in the NC database, since (apparently) it
had never been inspected in Florida.)  All they did was check my
headlights, taillights, horn, turn signals, and odometer, and sent me
on my way.  $9.50

This may be different in major cities and highly populated areas though.

Eric C
VIN 1776

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:36:03 -0000
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

>> Stricly speaking "topping off" is legal as long as you can say that
>> the system is leaking less than "x" oz per year. I don't remember
>> exactly what "x" is. Topping off becomes iffy when you use blended
>> refrigerents. Some can be topped off but only a certain # of times

and

>> then only a maximum amount at a time. As long as the system is
>> pressurized above atmospheric and wasn't run much you can assume it

is

>> still tight with no air or moisture. You will know when you top off
>> and read the head pressure.
>> David Teitelbaum
>> vin 10757

needed

You only need to fix a refigerant leak if the system holds over 50
lbs of refigerant. There is no need to be using R-12 any more, there
are replacement refigerants where all you need to do is recover the r-
12 and replace it with R-414B called (hot shot)

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 02:58:47 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

You can order those badges from JAE (www.jaeparts.com).  Ask for
the quarter panel badges for the G-bodied Esprits.  They are
available in black with gold lettering or black with silver.

-------------- Original message from Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>: --------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:59:50 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: 14 Issues of DeLorean World Magazine For Sale

Since I got my magazines today from the DOA, I have completed my collection.

When I bought my car, the previous owner had given me a box full of these
magazines
and books, etc... since I don't need doubles I have decided to sell them.
So I have them on eBay, 14 issues at NO RESERVE!
A few of these are photocopies, I guess some of the early issues were done
this way.
Check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=280&item=6969427526

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:24:49 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Thanks to Dave Swingle for his prompt answer to my question.

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:15:17 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

Not that I can help much technically, but the owners manual does state that
bi-level is supposed to split heated and conditioned air.  Wouldn't testing
in the Max position be a better indication?

KermitP