Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2750
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
21 Jul 2005 16:13:37 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Interesting Piece In Houston Chronicle
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

2. Re: Fuel Guage
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

3. Re: Interesting Piece In Houston Chronicle
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. Re: ItalDesign badges - was Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

5. Re: No A/C under dashboard
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Fuel Guage
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>

7. Re: Re: Perflux Oil Filters - where to buy? (Concours)
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Tire Pressure
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

9. Weird Noise?
From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

10. Re: DeLorean World magazines
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Concours d'Elegance
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

12. Re: Fuel Guage
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Why buy from a vendor here.
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

14. Re: Fuel Guage
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

15. Re: Fuel Guage
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

16. Re: Tire Pressure
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. Re: Fuel Guage
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. RPM Relay - Problem Solved!
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Interesting Piece In Houston Chronicle
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

20. Re: Tire Pressure
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

21. Re: DeLorean World magazines
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

22. Re: Fuel Guage
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Poor airflow thru heater-A/C
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

24. Re: RPM Relay - Problem Solved!
From: DANIEL SHANE <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>

25. Re: No A/C under dashboard
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:07:57 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Interesting Piece In Houston Chronicle

I read this online before, but I guess it was posted to another forum.

I tried looking up some contact information on the artist to ask just
where in the world they got that wierd idea about Latin America. But
haven't found any contact information for either the artist directly,
or an agent of some sort. I guess you'd have to contact the art
gallery directly or something.

It's a decent copy of the doors, but the meaning of the exhibit is
just absolutely lost on me. I'm not saying this as a joke, or a
negative comment, but if you understand what it's about, e-mail me
off-list.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:36:31 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Guage

Hey Bernie,

Having just purchased my D the other day, I have not had the experience
of problems that are sure to come. However, I do recall reading on this
board and other places that the fuel sending unit was prone to failure
on the DeLorean. I would suggest if it continues to give false
readings, you may want to consider replacing it with a "TankZilla" unit
that I know PJ Grady carries. From the installation instructions, it
seems like a simple bolt off/bolt on replacement right under the spare
tire. Hope this helps.

-Derek

8

>> miles.
>>
>> So today I go and fill the tank, and it won't take more than 9.66
>> gallons, according to the pump.  I believe the capacity of the tank

is

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:21:03 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

We supplied Katrina with some pieces for her to work from when she put
this together. A full article on Katrina and this piece will be in the
next issue of "deloreans". She mentioned when she was here that when
the piece comes back from Italy, it may go to Belfast in time for the
Eurofest, unless someone buys it first. Truly something for the
DeLorean owner who has everything.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:25:09 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: ItalDesign badges - was Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean

We used to sell them for a very short time back in 1999 or so, I think
they were like $15 or so. We got them from our local Chrysler dealer,
they were used on one of the Eagles, the Premier, maybe?

I think we still some laying around here. I'll post a photo if I find
them.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:40:59 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: No A/C under dashboard

Dave Swingle was kind enough to point me in the right direction:
http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/heatairleak.htm

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...>
wrote:

>> Maybe that's why I am so damned hot in this 90 deg. New England

heat!

>> I have never felt A/C on my legs, only from the dash and door

vents.

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:46:17 -0700
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>

Tank is 13 gallons, means you had about a 3 gallon reserve, that's good
Lloyd--3502

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:56:17 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Perflux Oil Filters - where to buy? (Concours)

In a message dated 7/20/2005 6:03:16 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net writes:

Paul,

If you are looking to buy oil filters for regular use,  all
the vendors have these available for about $15 per  unit.

However, if you are looking for an original NOS oil  filter
with the correct lighter blue color for Concours  competition,
please contact me off-list, since I still have an  excellent
supply of the original color version of the oil  filter.

Rich,

is the concours-correct filter also a purflux?

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:59:11 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Tire Pressure

In a message dated 7/20/2005 3:18:17 P.M. Central Standard Time,
roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

I had an interesting discussion with one of my fellow  workers. He
maintains the pressure placard in the car is for the tires  that CAME on the
car; they were designed for that car.  He runs 40  PSI in his tires because
that is the max. inflation given on the  tire.   Replacement tires should be
inflated to what the tire  says, not the cars specs.  Interesting.  My '38
Buick specs are  for lower press. tires, as are the Delorean.  My Volare'
runs on 32  PSI all around.  I've never heard that concept before.  Any
feedback I can pass on?  Personally, I don't buy it, and my Mech.  Eng. Dad
iis no longer with us to ask.

I work in the industry and can tell you that your coworker is wrong.
The tire sticker should be heeded as long as you replace your tires with
similar size and specifications as OEM.  If you remove your 16" wheels and  put
20's on with low-profile tires, then you are in uncharted territory and  should
heed what the installer recommends for safety.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:36:47 -0000
From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Weird Noise?

Every once in a while when i go to start my car the engine makes this
awful grinding noise, then in have to turn the key all the way back to
the insert position and try again. To start it. Now mind you it only
happens every onece in a while.  Does this ever happen to you guys?
Its not like the engine is trying to start either its just a really
loud obnoxious grinding sound. Kind of embarrassing when there are
people with me. ANny ideas what it might be. Thanks

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:54:43 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean World magazines

I paid June 7th, and I got the magazines on July 20th.
They were sent UPS Ground.

I paid $225 total with the shipping.
That works out to $3.30 an issue.
Not a bad deal, and it looks lIke i got every one that was on the list.
For some reason they only make photo copies of the first 3 volumes, (9
issues).

I managed to fit all of them into one single plastic magazine holder I got
at Wal-Mart.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:52:15 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Concours d'Elegance

I will try and enter my Delorean as well. Very interesting event. I
plan to attend regardless.

Byron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>> If anyone happens to be in the Detroit area this weekend, there is
>> going to be a great car show at Cranbrook in Bloomfield Hills, MI on
>> Sunday. I was fortunate enough to get my car entered in the show, so
>> the Delorean community will have representation among some of the
>> finest marques in the world! I entered too late to be featured on

the

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:03:10 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If you have the origional fuel sender it should be replaced. They are
notoriously inaccurate and have a high failure rate. In the meantime
use the trip odometer. Reset it when you fill the tank and you can go
about 250 miles on a tank.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:39:36 -0000
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Why buy from a vendor here.

I just want to add my 2 cents here, I needed a distributor cap and
rotor for my car. I tried the local auto part stores because I thought
it would be quicker and easier to get these parts. I spent a week going
to the local part stores trying to find these parts for a B28 F. I
finally gave up and ordered them from Special T Auto.
Not only did I get the parts in two days but also I was amazed at the
quality of the items. I had been fighting with the plastic disc inside
the distributor while trying to put the old cap on. When I installed
the new parts I found that the old rotor was not the right diameter for
the plastic disc causing it to slip out of place. With the new rotor
the disc stayed in place and install was simple. The car now runs
better then ever. I am not trying to kiss butt to the venders but the
simple truth is that with the high cost of gas I not only wasted time
but probably spent half as much on gas as what I paid for the parts.
I have decided that if I need a part I will buy it from a vender, it is
faster and a superior product than some cross over part. This is just
my two cents take it or leave it.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:23:07 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Bad sending unit? Change it out with a known working one or buy an
upgraded one. The easiest way to see the fuel in the tank is to pull
the sending unit-instead of the pump, and less of a mess too!
-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:44:48 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Looks like youre OEM fuel guage is more accurate than mine was. In
mine, if the light went on, it meant I had better be able to coast into
a gas station. Looks like yours works like it is supposed to. The
sender in that car is an original unit from the donor car.

I've since replaced mine with a Tankzilla. I've also used the DMCH unit
(in another car) - both work significantly better (and a bit
differently) than the original.

Tank holds a tad over 13 gallons.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:58:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

A lot of engineering goes into the suspension, the tires in
particular. The tire pressure is based on the weight bearing capacity
of the tires, at least initially. The final tire pressure is obtained
from extensive test track driving. It is a compromise between
handling, tread wear, ride quality, braking ability, and road feel. In
general if you use the same tire size as the label you can go with the
same tire pressures. Since you can't get NCT's anymore as long as you
at least keep the same size you should use the recomended pressures.
You can vary the tire pressures a little to change the qualities of
the tires but should not vary much more than 10%. Always check the
tire pressure COLD. This means before you drive the car. Use a good
quality, ACCURATE, tire gauge. Tires lose about 1 psi per month and
the pressure can change 1 psi per 10 degrees. This is why you should
be checking tires at least once a month or before any long trip. Don't
forget to check the spare. NEVER fill a tire above it's maximum
pressure COLD. It can get a lot higher hot but DO NOT LET AIR OUT WHEN
HOT. Overfilled tires are safer than underfilled but the correct
pressure is always best. An overfilled tire will ride very hard and
wear out the center of the tread. An underfilled tire can unseat the
bead on hard cornering and will overheat from the excessive flexing of
the sidewall. A tire running at high temperatures will wear at a much
higher rate.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:57:43 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

The fuel tank should just be a bit over 13 gallons capacity. 13.2
gallons or close to that. Is your fuel sender the original or is it
a replacement?

If a replacement, what vendor, and how old is it?

Sounds like the fuel sender you currently are using is close to 3
gallons in error.

-Joe O'Brien

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:16:48 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: RPM Relay - Problem Solved!

Problem: RPM Relay never shuts off after the car starts  even when the engine
dies.

Tom Niemczewski wrote me off  list and suggested I check out a few items in
the RPM Relay schematic.  I  went through a few of them with no luck and tried
experimenting to try to get to  the bottom of this seemingly simple problem.
After I tried and tried  unsuccessfully, so I measured all the voltages at all
the pins of the 555  timer.  Then I sent an email of to Tom with the info.
As I was  composing that email I reviewed the data that I collected and one
piece seemed  to stand out.  That was the fact that there was a constant 4 volts
on  the 6/7 pins of the 555.  Since it was below the 2/3 of the 10 volt power
supply it meant that the timer would be on. But this is a simple RC circuit
and thus the cap voltage should rise until it reaches the 10 volt  supply.
Something was keeping it low and thus keeping the timer on.  I scrutinized the
circuit some more and realized that either the  transistor across the capacitor
that is connected to pins 6/7 was leaky or the  cap itself was leaky.  Since
I had already replace the transistor, i  replace the cap and viola!  (Tom did
mention the cap in his original reply  to me but I couldn't believe it could
go bad.  Now I believe  it.)

I'm sorry if all this is too technical or boring for  some of you but is just
supports the fact that this group is a great bunch of  people that spend a
lot of their valuable time helping each  other.

So thanks Tom for your help on this one.  (I still  have that annoying tach
flicker but hopefully it will be solved too some  day.)

Dē and 6530
Dave Delman

BTW Tom was not the only one to lend a hand on this  one, Elvis was in there
too.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:32:54 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

it was, message #53891

-- -Kevin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 20 Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:42:20 -0000 From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com> Subject: Re: Tire Pressure I am getting new tires today, so now I am confused. This post says to go with the pressure for the new tires, but earlier posts say to go with what the plate in the car says. So which is it? Paul vin 10944 --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_s...> wrote:

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:19:26 +0100
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

Hi all

Further to what VB has found with his DOA membership special thingy.

I find it strange that they didnt send out any kind of membership number or
stickers even a card!!  I recieved this email from the membership part of
the site when I applied for the 3 year deal...

"...he will be
sending you the membership packet and back issues. "

So from what I gather a "membership packet" is either the box your magazines
came in, or the letter that was in the box.

Three hundred dollers for all of those back issues is great but what if you
pay the normal membership for a year??  Do you just get the odd magazine
every now and again and nothing else??  No idea what number you are or a
nice fancy sticker to put on you car.

I hope that they just forgot and will send stuff out to you later, also that
they have remembered to pack mine as I am not paying for more things to be
delivered to Northern Ireland from the States.

Alistair McCann
DOA
DOC
DOI
Vin# pilot25

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:43:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Bernie,

I think the Delorean only holds 13.2 gallons when
full.  The 'low fuel light' is tapped off the fuel
sending unit also, so it sounds like maybe your
sending unit in the gas tank is going bad.  They are
notorious for being inaccurate.  But, on a positive
note they are very easy to change.

Mike     1630     TPS

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:40:53 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C

I'm having an issue with the Air conditioner/Heater where not much air
comes thru the vents (or the floor for that matter). Compared to my
other D, the airflow on "4" is about like "2" but it's definitly
running the fan on high.

I've verified that all correct flaps are opening, the blower works OK
(makes lots of good blower noise, and with the fan out and on the bench
it seems to run plenty fast). Putting the setting on "max" does not
make any difference, and the recirc door is opening.

The only thing that it seems to me that's left is an evaporator thats
full of crud - has anyone seen this and come up with a way to clean it
without taking the car apart?

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:52:13 +0100 (BST)
From: DANIEL SHANE <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: RPM Relay - Problem Solved!

Great news Dave,

but where did you get the schematic for the RPM relay
from

Dan

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:58:21 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>