Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2751
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
21 Jul 2005 18:44:32 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Weird Noise?
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

2. Re: Weird Noise?
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

3. re: Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

4. Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

5. RE: Why buy from a vendor here.
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

6. Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

7. Re: Tire Pressure
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

8. Re: Weird Noise?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

10. Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

11. Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. RE: Weird Noise?
From: "rob" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

13. RE: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

14. Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

15. Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

16. Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C - SOLVED
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

17. RE: Why buy from a vendor here.
From: "Travis Goodwin" <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

18. Re: Floor vents (was Poor airflow thru heater-A/C
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

19. RE: Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

20. Re: RPM Relay - Problem Solved!
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

21. RE: Re: Weird Noise?
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

22. Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C - SOLVED
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: Weird Noise?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: DeLorean World magazines
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

25. Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C - SOLVED
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:31:36 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Weird Noise?

Honestly, it sounds like your starter motor to me.  Also, make sure it's
securely fastened to the car.  I worked on one once where a bolt was snapped
and the others were loose so the starter was just wiggling around.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:12:01 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

It may be that your starter gear isn't disengaging the ring gear after
start up. If this were to happen repeatedly all you'd need to do is
hit the starter with a mallet or something and it will disengage. I'd
disconnect the power, remove the starter and see what's going on with
it, lube it up, etc. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:25:40 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: re: Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..

There are two circuit breakers, one for the cooling fans and one for
the blower fan. They are both too small from the factory and are a
common upgrade. They are located side by side at the front of the
relay compartment next to the relays. You have to get your head back
there to see them. If you get one of the vendor relay upgrade kits
they will be in the kit, otherwise take them to a auto parts store
and get the same thing, but 5 amps bigger (i.e. the 25A one should be
30). The originals use screw lugs, you'll have to change them to
slide-on connectors because that's what the new ones will have.

Dave

-------

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:55:48 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

I have something weird happening with fans in the cabin.  I was
running A/C on max, and the vent fans on the highest setting.  For
one thing, the A/C cycling really does kick things on and off when
it cycles (probably should get Fanzilla - is this still
recommended?).  Anyway, the ventilation fans suddenly stopped
working.  The A/C and fan switch were still on high, but no blowers
throught the vents.  I shut the A/C and fan switch back on, and the
blowers worked again for the rest of my drive.  This has happened
once before as well.  Is there a circuit breaker or switch that
resets itself if blown?

After reaching my destination, I think my radiator fans also were
not working after shutting the A/C off.  The temp gauge was at 220
as I shut the engine off - a little high I think.  Just this
morning, I idled the engine in my driveway and the fans kicked in
fine at around 180-190, and knocked the heat right down again.  It
seemed to run  great just above the white line 160 deg mark for
about 15 minutes, no problems.

When I get driving, the engine keeps teasing me by creeping up to
the 220 mark once in  a while, never exceeding it, but seems hot for
me.  And again, I get a little hot coolant pissing out of the bottle
when I parked this morning.

Something it still not quite right.  I haven't cleaned any of the
electrical relays or switches since buying the car in April.  Does
this sound like some glitchy electrical issues, and is it related to
A/C operation?  I really would like to be confortable with the
cooling system and not be hesitant about it every time I drive.

Thanks for any advice,

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:35:46 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Why buy from a vendor here.

I completely agree.  Special T Auto has always been my best source of parts.
  I ONLY used Special T Auto and DMCH when ordering parts with the
occasional salavager if it's something I could rebuild.

It not only saves time but the headache of having to travel around trying to
crossover parts.

Jeff in NC

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:18:25 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C

Have you installed the foam piece over the opening in the back of the
heater box? There was a screen over the evaporator in my car, only it
didn't stop small things like pine needles from getting stuck in the
fins...Only way around it for me was removal, then again I was
installing a new evaporator anyway. You could also try compressed air
up the drain tube, which may loosen some things that are stuck in the
box. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:50:05 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Pressure

I once had a conversation with a Porsche enthusiast about tire pressures.
"I'm thinking of going with 2, maybe 3 more PSI in the front-left tire,"
he told me.  I was floored.

I think the recommended tire pressures are just that...recommendations.
Start there and experiment with different pressures to find what works
best for you, but stay within the tire's range.  For instance, I'll go
with a pressure on the high-side of the range for a long trip, since it
will help with fuel economy and I won't be doing much cornering on the
highway.  But that pressure is too high for everyday driving, as the tires
are too stiff.  If the pressure is too low, you'll be able to see the
scuff marks on the sidewalls from the tire leaning over during hard
cornering.

BTW, for you inventors out there, how about making a tire pressure gauge
with a built-in infrared pyrometer and a computer to calculate the
equivalent cold-tire pressure?  I mean really, are your tires ever REALLY
cold when you fill them?  Sorry, no compressor here, I use the air at the
gas station...I usually over-fill and then let some air out at home after
the tires are cold.

After one purchase of tires for another car, I thought I'd made a bad
choice since the car drove terribly on the way home.  When I checked the
pressures, I found that the 'Manic Mechanic' had filled them to between 60
and 90 PSI.  The car handled much better after adjustment.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:39:14 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

This is a guess but it is likely that you will need a new bendix for
the starter. The way it is usually done is to just replace the starter
or get yours rebuilt. In an exteme case you may also need a new ring
gear for the flywheel. You could have a spot on the ring gear with
teeth worn off so whenever you try to start it at that spot it grinds.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:19:14 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

I saw this product (or something similar) on MotorWeek a couple of
months ago. I think it was even mentioned here on the DML about the
same time. I don't have any experience using it, but it appeared to
work well on the show, where it was showcased as a "cool product". For
$11, be worth trying and reporting back to us.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?12230

or

http://tinyurl.com/8agec

James

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:24:58 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Well, make sure the fan is turning the right way.  If you've had it on
the bench, I reckon it's OK.
Does the A/C blow cold?  Remember the clogged evap earlier?  Jake
Kamphoeffner, I think.  His evap was crudified and it didn't work right.
Is the accumulator sweating inordinately?  That would seem to be an
attendant symptom of a clogged evap.
If it is, I can't think of a good way to clean it without dismantling
it.  Squirting water blindly thru' the fan hole doesn't sound profitable.
/Homer/  "Looks like a job for explosives!"

Warren at DMC

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:34:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Make sure you have the right fan motor. Some replacements rotate the
wrong way. You will get some airflow but not enough. You could have a
duct disconnected or an actuator isn't moving correctly also. I have
seen where the evaporator coil gets full of crud too. With the fan
motor out you spray coil cleaner onto the coil. You can get a spray
can of it at a large A/C supply house. On a car I did recently I
couldn't get the compressor to cycle right till I cleaned the evap
coil. While I was in there I vacuumed the inside bottom of the case
and with a wet/dry vac connected to the condensate drain I poured
several cups of water into the case to clean the drain.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:00:16 -0400
From: "rob" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Perhaps your flywheel has some damaged or missing teeth. This happens when
someone tries to start a car that's already running! I'd have to hear it to
be sure. BTW do you have a manual or an automatic?

Rob Grady

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:01:58 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

Open the hood (bonnet) and remove the 4-5 screws holding the plastic grill
in front of the widshield, remove the grill. Take your shop vac and stick it
down in the passenger side vent and see what comes out. Might be full of
maple seeds.

Dave Sontos

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:56:53 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Where are the vents for the floor?  I couldn't find floor vents at a
quick glance under my dash.  I don't feel general vent air or A/C
under the dash, only the console and door handle vents.

Paul

A quick glace --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Swingle"

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:09:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Dave,

I was recently in the same situation.  Here's a couple things I checked to fix my problem:

- Make sure the blower and squirrel cage are correct.  There are a lot of GM equivalents that fit perfectly, but the blower motor either turns the wrong direction, or the squirrel cage is cut to the mirror of the DeLorean (that is, it is made so that turning the opposite direction causes the air to flow the same direction).  After I replaced my blower with an OEM that I bought amongst a hand-full of other parts, my air flow highly increased.

- I also resealed the infamous foam on the back of the A/C box

- Cleaning the evap?  Here's how I did it.  I taped a wet shop vac on to the drain hose.  Then I removed the blower motor and the resistor to give extra room to get my hands in, and pulled back my carpet to lay down some old towels.  Start by dumping a little water into the evaporator box, then use your contortionist skills to reach into the box and pull that gunk out.  Keep pouring water through it and make sure it's making it to the vac.  You may have to stop to unclog the line a couple times.  Then I put a length of clear hose on the end of my garden hose, and fed it into the box.  With the hose on *slow* (it's a lot more water when coming out of the small clear hose), I nozzled the tube with my thumb and sprayed the evaporator for a long time.  Be careful not to get more water in than the drain hose can handle.

Oh yeah, and this job sucks.  But it's better than removing the evap.

Jake

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:52:18 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Poor airflow thru heater-A/C - SOLVED

David T and Warren get today's gold star!

Well  - once again a victim of the dreaded POS (not That one) - Prior
Owner Syndrome. I took the blower back out and put it on the bench next
to another one I had from the parts car....hmmm - looks pretty close
but not the same stampings. Looks like the PO changed the blower, and
damned if it doesn't run backwards. Problem solved. I'll bet he used
the common cross-reference part.

Funny thing about cage blowers - even running in reverse, they move air
in the right direction. Just not very much of it.

This was not obvious at the first look because it ran plenty fast and
moved air in my hand.

For the record, the proper rotation (facing the blower cage) is
counterclockwise.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:15:48 -0400
From: "Travis Goodwin" <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

When I go to buy a part locally, if they say, "I'll have to order that
part" I respond with "I also can order this part" and leave the
establishment.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:20:09 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Floor vents (was Poor airflow thru heater-A/C

Directly under the HVAC box on top of the tunnel. You may have to
pull the carpet back a bit to see them (in which case you probably
weren't getting much air out of them). Make sure the carpet is tucked
under the outlet.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:46:58 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Paul,

Fanzilla is highly recommended but you won't find one until my supplier
finishes building a new "factory". In the meantime our relay update kit
(K111168), and everyone else's, would solve most of your current problems.
Your heater fan C.B. is overheating causing the cabin fan to cut out when
hot. BTW 220 is the normal cooling fan "kick-in" temp.

Rob Grady

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:42:11 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: RPM Relay - Problem Solved!

Dan,
I got the schematic the 'old fashion way' by opening the case and drawing it
out myself.

Dē & 6530

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:04:09 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Weird Noise?

I agree with David and Rob,

It would certainly explain why it only does it "once in awhile" if some
teeth were damaged.

Jeff in NC

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:09:40 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You don't have to throw away the fan motor. With a couple of pieces of
wire and some connectors you can reverse the polarity to the motor
without cutting up the wiring harness and save the fan motor. It won't
look factory but it will function fine.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:16:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Often if you replace the starter (or just the bendix) the new, fresh
gear will mesh better with the ring gear so even if some teeth on the
ring gear are worn it will work OK. The thing to do is to examine the
gear on the bendix and if it looks torn up rotate the flywheel and
check the ring gear all around. If it looks OK then usually doing just
the starter will get you going again. If, on inspection of the ring
gear, you see teeth missing or badly worn you should replace it. It
will eventually tear up the new gear on the starter if you don't. Of
course this is assuming this is the problem in the first place!. It
could be just a bad bendix that is slipping. Hard to tell from your
description of the noise.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_m...>

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:32:41 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean World magazines

I would hope that someone from the club answers in an "official" copacity
however in my previous membership realtionship with the DOA I had a card,
window sticker and the useual membership propaganda you get from every
oraganization. I would think that this has not changed and assume that they
are being prepared.
Patience is a virtue most on this list have not embraced.

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:33:22 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I went ahead and swapped it since I had one. I understand what you
mean, I'm saving the one I took out as an emergency spare. I'm not a
huge fan of the reversed-wiring modification because it leaves the
outside of the fan motor "hot" to ground, not that there's much in that
area of the car, it could surprise someone someday.