Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2753
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
22 Jul 2005 19:39:07 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Failing alternator?
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

2. Re: Failing alternator?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: Tire Pressure
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

4. Trying to find the VINs next to mine
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Interesting Piece In Houston Chronicle
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

6. Re: Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

7. Re: Re: Weird Noise?
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

8. Re: Weird Noise?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. Fuel Guage
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

10. Re: Failing alternator?
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Weird Noise?
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

12. Vacuum hose to AC Switch
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

13. Re: DeLorean World magazines
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. Re: Vacuum hose to AC Switch
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. Re: DeLorean World magazines
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: DeLorean World magazines
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

17. Re: DeLorean World magazines
From: debra spurlin <dmspurlin_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:38:43 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Failing alternator?

Motorolas don't go bad very often.  Here's the ritual to perform before
condemning it.
1) Change fuse #5.  It is the 12v feed for the instrument cluster.  Any
resistance at the fuse results in a lower reading.
2) Check the battery connections, especially the ground.
3) Check the battery ground at the other end, on the RH trailing arm
bushing.
4) Check the other grounds.  The one at the LF of the car, the one at
the RH engine mount, and the one that goes thru the rear bulkhead behind
the coil cover.
5) Re-confirm a low reading with a multimeter at the B+ post of the
alternator with the engine running. Use the engine as your ground. Good
alternators will deliver 14V just off idle.
We have rebuilt Motorolas, part #110101R, $295 exchange.  These have the
correct HD regulator and are warrantied for a year.

Warren at DMC

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:48:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Have the alternator and battery tested. If they are both good you have
to clean all the connections. Make sure the belt on the alternator is
not slipping too. Most places will test the battery and alternator for
free. Try Sears.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> Hello, list.  Not quite sure where to start with this one, but it

seems that

>> my car isn't producing enough electrical power.  At highway  speeds,
>> headlights and air conditioning OFF, I'll show 13 volts, sometimes a

 little below.

>> With headlights & air conditioning ON, also at highway  speeds,

it'll be in

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:57:41 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Tire Pressure

In a message dated 7/21/2005 8:49:47 A.M. Central Standard Time,
paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com writes:

I am  getting new tires today, so now I am confused.  This post says to
go  with the pressure for the new tires,  but earlier posts say to go
with what the plate in the car says. So which is  it?

<<<

Actually, every post is saying the same thing. Read again -  Sandor is
saying, like others, to use the tire pressures as suggested in  the glove box
sticker for your new tires since they will be the same size and  similar speed/load
ratings as OEM.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:15:13 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Trying to find the VINs next to mine

Hi.  I was just curious to find the VIN numbers that are before and after mine.  No
reason other than curiosity.  I have VIN# 2423.  It is a July of 81.  Are you out there
2422 and 2424?
Cheers,
Corey

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:11:36 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Interesting Piece In Houston Chronicle

Robert and others,

I think mistaken identity is the root cause of the incorrect comment
about Latin America.  Near the end of last month, I attended the
Tucker convention and car show held at the Volo Auto Museum in Volo,
Illinois.  However, I guess this could just be a coincidence.

It was well known that after the Tucker assembly plant in Chicago
was shut down, Tucker himself went to Latin America attempting to
negotiate with several countries to re-start his Tucker automobile
manufacturing, before getting very sick and dying shortly afterward.

Maverick automotive engineers Tucker and DeLorean are often talked
about as similar personalities, by enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts.

If its not the root cause, it sure sounds like a good guess anyway.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_c...>
wrote:

>> I read this online before, but I guess it was posted to another

forum.

>> I tried looking up some contact information on the artist to ask

just

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:20:10 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..

Paul,

One thing to add to Rob's comment, since Rob reminded me of just
this issue earlier this month.  If you happen to be running under
very warm conditions and you do not have your parcel shelf loaded
down completely from side to side, you may consider driving with
the carpet and wooden fuse/relay cover removed, to allow cool air
to circulate through the fuse/relay area.  Relays will stay cooler.

Also, if you cannot wait until the new "Zilla factory" is built,
there are new digital electronic parts for the DeLorean in the
very near future, so stay tuned for more information to follow.
Three new products are in the works and are currently being tested.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, <rob_at_dml_p...> wrote:

>> Paul,
>>
>> Fanzilla is highly recommended but you won't find one until my

supplier

>> finishes building a new "factory". In the meantime our relay

update kit

>> (K111168), and everyone else's, would solve most of your current

problems.

>> Your heater fan C.B. is overheating causing the cabin fan to cut

out when

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:58:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Re: Weird Noise?

Thanks, ill have my mechanic check the starter by your descriptions but also what is a bad bendix?
----------------------

David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:Often if you replace the starter (or just the bendix) the new, fresh
gear will mesh better with the ring gear so even if some teeth on the
ring gear are worn it will work OK. The thing to do is to examine the
gear on the bendix and if it looks torn up rotate the flywheel and

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:01:55 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Weird Noise?

The over-running clutch unit with the gear on it that engages the
flywheel.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:00:10 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Fuel Guage

Thanks to all for your advice,

I think I acutally figured out the problem today, the shape of the tank
and position of the sending unit don't like hills, even small ones ones
like my driveway.  Based on what everyone said about the capacity of
the tank, I had about 3 gallons left.  So the small slope up my
driveway caused all of the gas (petrol for our non US readers), to run
to the back of the tank.

But based on what everyone is telling me I am going to replace the fuel
sending unit.  Now the next question is, is tankzilla even available?
Or even fanzilla?  I just have the jumper fix installed.

Thank You Again,

Bernie

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:00:37 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

If you get everything tested and all grounds are clean and fuses are
good then everything should be ok.  A Few weeks ago I put on a new D110
alternator from John Hervey at www.specialtauto.com and it works
great.  My gauge is reading between "13" and the next line up.  I
originally had a Motorola rated at 90 Amps.  I thought since my
DeLorean was VIN: 2953 an Aug. or '81 bild would have the "Duccy"
alternator, but it didn't.  Unless someone already changed it before I
got it.  But it works really good with the new D110.  You may want to
check in on that too.

Thomas
VIN:2953

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> Hello, list.  Not quite sure where to start with this one, but it

seems that

>> my car isn't producing enough electrical power.  At highway  speeds,
>> headlights and air conditioning OFF, I'll show 13 volts, sometimes a

little below.

>> With headlights & air conditioning ON, also at highway  speeds, it'll

be in

>> between the white center line and the yellow caution  line.  At idle

with these

>> systems running, all lights dim quite a bit, and  voltage needle is

sitting

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:08:53 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

This sounds exactly like what a room mate of mine had a problem with in
an old MG, the flywheel gears where so bad in one spot (missing), he
had to acutally reach under the hood and pull on the flywheel to get to
an area of good teeth.  There was an access panel we removed to he
could do it.  Don't even ask about the rag he used as an oil filler cap
wrapping around the cam, or the idiots who cut off his ignition switch
when he couldn't find his keys.  What a mess, I fixed it as best I
could, I actually had to make a starter panel for him.  Ignition on/off
switch, push button starter switch.  Lights to let him know it was on.

And he still ruined the car, it was a POS to begin with but had
potential.

Bernie

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:52:19 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Vacuum hose to AC Switch

The vacuum hose to the center console AC switch is not working
properly - either disconnected or the line is possibly broken. I
haven't poked around in there yet so to save me some time, can someone
tell me exactly where this hose is and what it looks like? Thanks.

Shannon

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:24:29 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean World magazines

Cecil,

With all due respect, 6 weeks from payment to receipt (in Robert's
case), then asking, "Where is my welcome packet?", is hardly
impatient. It's perfectly acceptable to expect timely delivery of your
paid for products.

-Ryan

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:18:59 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Vacuum hose to AC Switch

In the engine compartment, it starts at the vacuum reservoir bottle
hidden inside the left pontoon just forward of the emission cannister.
You'll also see a small balck hard plastic line that goes from the left
pontoon to the heater valve - that's not it.

Inside the car, you'll fine a hard black plastic line about 1/4"
diameter, you can see it if you lift up the wooden deck on the driver
side. It goes thru the console and then converts to a soft rubber line
inside the console about where your right knee hits the console. You
can also see it inside the console if you open up the plate the covers
the shifter. That soft line goes to the mode switch.

You'll see the 1/8" line snaking thru there too.

If that 1/4" main line is broken or disconnected, none of the heat or
AC functions will work other than the fan, i.e. the fan will make lots
of noise but nothing will come out no matter where you set the mode
switch. It's also a pretty significant vacuum leak.

There's a great diagram of this in the technical manual (the smaller
manual, NOT the thick service manual). It shows all the vacuum
connections and how they connect to the mode switch.

Dave Swingle (spent lots of time in the past two days working on the AC
system)

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:22:49 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Ryan...  I have to agree with you.  I've been told I can expect  mine by the
27th.  Tomorrow it will be 7 weeks since I paid in full on June  3.  If there
was feedback to leave, as on e-bay, it most probably be  negative.  I must
also now question the veracity of those in  charge.  VideoBob ordered and paid on
June 9 and he has received  his.  Thus the statement that they will be sent
in the chronological order  that they were received is not correct.
    I know all about being a volunteer and selling  organizational products.
It is a tough and ungrateful job.  I was the  quartermaster for the 75th
Ranger Reg Assoc Inc from 1996 to 1998.  It  takes big chunks of time and products
do run out; office supplies can run  short.  Communication is the most
important asset that an organization can  have, open and honest.  If you are not
going to get to something within a  period of time let that customer know.  The
rush on an offer such as this  one should be anticipated and proper supplies on
hand.  I certainly hope  that an officer of DOA steps forward to address the
complaints.

Roy #0893

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:26:34 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

No disrepsect is taken however if this was a profit making buisness I would
expect it however it is a club with volunteers.

I just put myself in their position. it is summer with vacations, family
activities, etc. It is also a club in transition( I hope!) and thus with the
new influx of members may be a little taxed.

I too received my magazines today sans other items. A month from now I may
be on your side of the fence for now they have met my expectations.

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 03:55:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: debra spurlin <dmspurlin_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Hello!

The first half of the magazine orders went out a week ago last Wednesday.  The second half
went this last Tuesday.  There are still about ten packages yet to be sent.  These have to go to the post office, due to P.O. boxes, overseas, etc.

The membership kits have yet to be sent.  My husband is currently the President, we are running the DeLorean World and membership special, trying to run membership (due to
John Truscott's health problems, totally reformatting the membership programs, and do some products.  Therefore our life is a bit hectic right now.  They were sent out exactly in the order to which your orders came in.  They will continue in the way.  With working and the four other groups we are in charge of (not DeLorean related) our life is really a mess.  But, we are working
as hard as we can.

We have not received everything we need  from the Truscott's to send the membership packets out.  And my husband has newly taken over the membership work.  It has to be updated in a
more user friendly format.  John T. was running to entirely separate programs for it.

So, this is the current update.  All will be sent as quickly as we can.  But, doing four jobs out of here with my husband is taking quite a lot of time.

Debbie
-------------------
Videobob Moseley <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
I paid June 7th, and I got the magazines on July 20th.
They were sent UPS Ground.

I paid $225 total with the shipping.
That works out to $3.30 an issue.
Not a bad deal, and it looks lIke i got every one that was on the list.
For some reason they only make photo copies of the first 3 volumes, (9
issues).

I managed to fit all of them into one single plastic magazine holder I got
at Wal-Mart.