Subject:
[DML] Digest Number 2754
From:
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:
23 Jul 2005 19:00:43 -0000

dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Trying to find the VINs next to mine
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Connecticut Car Show this Sunday
From: Joshieloo_at_dml_aol.com

3. NEED HELP PUTTING DOORS BACK ON
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

4. Kudos to Delorean Motor Center
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Needed Badly: Button Clip for the Mode Switch
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Bad alternator?
From: "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. steering wheel lock
From: "joopnoordzij" <noordzy_at_dml_xs4all.nl>

9. RE: Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

11. Re: Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Bad alternator?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Re: Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Bad alternator?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: steering wheel lock
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. rear quarter panel
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>

17. Re: Needed Badly: Button Clip for the Mode Switch
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

18. Re: Bad alternator?
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Re: Bad alternator?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

20. Re: Bad alternator?
From: "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Bad alternator?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:27:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Trying to find the VINs next to mine

Go over to dmcnews.com and jump to the DoD. Register and when you get
your password you can see for yourself.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> Hi.  I was just curious to find the VIN numbers that are before and

after mine.  No

>> reason other than curiosity.  I have VIN# 2423.  It is a July of 81.

 Are you out there

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:33:07 EDT
From: Joshieloo_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Connecticut Car Show this Sunday

Any Connecticut area owners:

Barnum Festival Antique and Classic Car Show. This Sunday from 9-3 at
Hillcrest Middle School in Trumbull, CT. Any owners interested? Please send me  an
e-mail and we can coordinate meeting prior to the event. As it stands, Frank
Ehrismann (VIN: 16509) from Ridgefield, CT is going, as will I. I know it  is
short notice, but we just found out about it.

Click here for details:
_http://www.classicnights.com/2005barnumfestival/barnumfestival.htm_
(http://www.classicnights.com/2005barnumfestival/barnumfestival.htm)

Thanks,
Joshua Schwartz
Trumbull, CT

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:53:16 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: NEED HELP PUTTING DOORS BACK ON

[NOTE - apparently in Detroit area]

Hey Group,
I need some assitsants with putting my doors back on my frame off project, Any help
would be great especially if you've done tortion bars Before. I've been marathoning
just to get some work done to be ready for the Woodward Dream Cruise, It might be
ready to drive but the interior & body work will probably have to be redone later.
Let me know if you can help Saturday or Sunday by email or call my cell phone the #
is below. I usually start working on it at 9:00am till 9:00pm ( you don't have to be
here that early I have plenty to do asisde from the doors ),  I will have some
refreshments for any who come out. Pleanty of parking for all.
Thanks,
 Lawrence vin#00915a,00538
313-506-3786

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:25:58 -0400
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Kudos to Delorean Motor Center

Well, folks.

I'm very happy with the work that Dan and Don had done on my D for the past 11 days.  They didn't so much repair my car as restore it!  I'm glad that there is a company like Delorean Motor Center (Garden Grove, California) to make my baby look good!

Dean Thomas

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:51:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cabin ventilation fans and screwy cooling system..

Question.

Would anyone know how I have alot of water or condensation under the dashboard??  I had to get a shop vac to get all the water that was on the floorboard.  Ive only had my refurbished car 45 days and I am going to lose my carpeting to mildew if I can get it fixed.

Richard Rosales

VIN 2800

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:02:33 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Needed Badly: Button Clip for the Mode Switch

I'm trying to locate the seemingly impossible button clip for the
mode switch.

This is the lisslt plastic clip that holds the rubber diaphram
tightly in the mode switch. The P.O. was kind enough to put the clip
in the wrong way and break it for me.

It's been very difficult to find a replacement part. I'm going to re-
assemble the dash controls soon, and would really like to have the
correct part available so I don't have to disassemble it all again
to replace this little part.

Anyone know of a used (or NOS) functional button clip still with
both clips that is for sale? I really need one.

Thanks for any leads.

Joe O'Brien

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:27:09 -0000
From: "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Bad alternator?

So I have a bit of a situation here, you see after having my DMC sit
for 2-3 days untouched I sit down and turn to key to find that
though it cranks the engine will not fire up. after all why should
it: the battery guage is slightly lower than what it usually is. Now
right now my quick fix for this is to set the battery on the slow
charge for 2 hours or so than its ready to roll and the car fires
right up.

Now I know what your thinking? Bad Battery right? well the battery
is a brand new optima battery and ive only had to recharge the thing
becuase of my DMC about..5-6 times. As far as the alternator goes in
this story, it is still the original Ducellier 80 watt alternator
which I know to already be showing the signs of age and underpower
since everytime I rub the gas every bulb on the car gets somewhat
brighter.

In anycase, I have to recharge my battery if I end up letting the
DMC sit for such a short time. is this somehow tied into my
alternator or is there another factor that I should be aware of in
all this?

Thanks DML
~Josh Tidwell | VIN 4463

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:35:33 -0000
From: "joopnoordzij" <noordzy_at_dml_xs4all.nl>
Subject: steering wheel lock

Hi all,
So far I have been without too much trouble with my D, but now my
steering wheel lock seems to be stuck (in the locked position). I can
put the key in, I can push the lock in for the customary 3 mm or so,
but the lock will just refuse to become unlocked. The key won't turn.
No matter what I try, wiggling the steering wheel, even pushing the
column in and out, nothing helps. I looked in all of the past
messages, but no one seems to have had the problem before, or
mentioned a solution.
Any advice is appreciated.

Joop Noordzij, VIN#3085, The Netherlands

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:52:58 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Richard, the drain hold for the AC evaporator condensation may be stopped
up. Here is a image as to where to look. About 1/2 way down on the page.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/AC-Cooling.html

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:49:45 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I am guessing it is not condensate but a clogged drain. Very common
especially as the 20+ year old foam seals inside the case fall apart.
I put a vacuum from my shop vac to the drain hose periodically to
collect debris. Usually you can feel air blowing out the drain hose
with the fan on high. If you don't feel some air, and it is easy to
detect, you are clogged.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_y...>

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:39:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

AC drain hose is plugged up.

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:21:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Bad alternator?

You have a couple of problems, but lets take them in order. First is
the "short" or battery drain. Usually because the courtesy lights on
the door stay on with the door closed. Do you have the rubber tips on
the door plungers? Do you have a master battery switch? The next time
you leave the car sit for a couple of days pull the wires off the door
switches and see if the battery stays up. Now, because the battery was
low any bad/dirty connections which may have just worked with a fully
charged battery won't with the lower voltage. Clean and tighten all
the connections on the firewall around the white ballast resistors,
this is ignition. Was the car left outside those couple of days? If so
you may have water in the spark plug wells shorting out the ignition
wires. Dry them out and try again with a fully charged battery and
then replace the ignition wires at your next opertunity. A "slow
charge" is not 2 hours. More like overnight. The Ducey is NO GOOD! It
will leave you with a chronically under-charged battery which will
fail sooner. Batteries do not like being chronically undercharged and
do not last long under those conditions. It is also much harder on the
wiring with the voltage always being below what it should causing the
current to be higher to run the car causing more heat in the
electrical system. Recahrge and load-test the battery. Replace the
alternator. Test for battery drains. If the voltage gets too low the
pump won't run so the motor won't start.

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:55:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

....  now that I think about it, this problem is so
common one should expect it to be checked on a
"refurbished" car..  No??

Maybe there is some other problem..

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:53:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Either way, replace the Ducy..

It is possible your battery is not being charged
enough by it, and with the starter pulling all of the
power from the batter, the voltage may be too low for
good spark.

I just replaced my Ducy 80 with a Delco 180...  The
car runs much better due to higer voltage for the
ignition coil.

Worse yet, if you run the starter under low voltage
you can cause damage to it.

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:25:28 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: steering wheel lock

This is an unusual problem meaning that it doesn't seem to happen
often in Deloreans. I would try some spray lubricant into and around
the lock cylinder while wiggling the key and the steering wheel. If
you can't get it to move you will have to disassemble, clean,
lubricate, and reassemble the steering column. Maybe try another key?

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:34:46 -0000
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: rear quarter panel

Hello.. I am in the finishing stages of the improvements that I
wanted
to make to my car.  Between the rear louvers and the engine cover on
the quarter panel there is a kinda sponge/cloth that fills the gap
where the air intake is on one side and the antenna on the other
side.
What is that called?  I bought a set on e-bay and new need to install
them. How do you do this?  Are they glued in place?  They seem to be
made of rather flimsy material and disintergrate to the touch (the
old
ones on the car that is).  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Roy  #0893

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:06:48 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Needed Badly: Button Clip for the Mode Switch

Joe,

You can buy these from DMCH.

You might have to buy a whole new rubber maze with it, however. They
include the clips with those. Not sure if you can buy them separate.

One note, when you install it, make sure you use some vasoline on the
face of the rubber, otherwise the switch may not turn properly.

-Ryan

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:12:15 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Others have responded and indicated a battery drain, but I have one comment:

>> Now I know what your thinking? Bad Battery right? well the battery
>> is a brand new optima battery and ive only had to recharge the thing
>> becuase of my DMC about..5-6 times.

Your battery is almost certainly shot. If it isn't, it will be soon.
You can't discharge and recharge normal car batteries this many times
without doing permanent, severe damage. Considering the nature of the
problem, the depth of the discharge is likely high and after this many
deep discharges & recharges I'm surprised the battery works at all.

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:56:26 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Antoher thought - if your lock module is still plugged in, unplug it. A
common failure on that is that it still works but a shorted cap inside
will drain the battery.

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:35:59 -0000
From: "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I've actually considered that possibility already with the door
courtesy lights. I recieved the car with those lights being the
original bulbs and already burnt out so I've removed them and have
no yet replaced. The plungers still have the rubber tip on the end
and does seem to make pretty good contact with the door. I do not
have a master battery switch but it definitly seems like a good idea.

The car does sit outside in the hot but not humid climate of
southern california under a cover.

In a related question. Just how difficult is the job of removing and
replacing the alternator, I've noticed a lack of hand-space from
where its located. Am I going to have to remove anything?

Thank for the advice DML.
~ Josh Tidwell | VIN:4463

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:43:25 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Best access to the alternator is underneath. It's easier with two
people (one to loosen the bolt from above, one to hold the nut
underneath) but it is do-able. There is also a adjusting bar
underneathe that you have to loosen at both ends and unhookd from the
alternator.

The only thing that's difficult at all to get to is the 17m nut on
the back side of the large bolt - but a deep socket and breaker-
handle work well. Don't forget to disconnect the battery first unless
you like fireworks.....

There are lots of options on replacement alternators, pretty much
anything is better than what you have. But you still need to figue
out what's draining the battery. I routinely leave mine connected for
as much as a month without running, and the car still starts.

Dave Swingle