Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2759
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:25 Jul 2005 20:45:34 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Good De Lorean Fonts
From: "gullwingdoors" <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Lambda Question
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

3. Re: Possessed Car
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

4. Re: Weird Clutch
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

5. RE: Bad alternator/dark current
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

6. Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

7. Re: Needed Badly: Button Clip for the Mode Switch
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

8. Re: Lambda Question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. RE: Re: Air Condition at Highway Speeds
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

10. Re: Hazard relay failure symptom?
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

11. Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

12. Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

13. Re: Question and (rude) car show behavior
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

14. remove shif knob
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:26:36 -0000
From: "gullwingdoors" <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Good De Lorean Fonts

Hi, does anyone know where I can find some good De Lorean fonts?  I
have the "DMC" font and the "Rustproof Body" font already.  Both are
pretty good, but have a few mistakes to the original De Lorean logo.
Or, does anyone know of a good font creator program so I can make my
own De Lorean font?

Thanks,
Chuck

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:40:35 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Lambda Question

Did you wind it all the way back to zero?
That's the only thing I know that will make the light come on, it's not a
smart light, definitely an idiot light.
(not implying anything at all... just a general pejorative term about the
lights)

-Kevin

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:26:36 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Possessed Car

We seem to have a car with mysteriously-appearing speakers, and another
car that suddenly has an ignition switch that cannot be turned by the key.

Are you sure you two didn't have a "you got chocolate in my peanut butter"
moment and accidentally switch cars?!??  They do all look alike.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:30:19 -0400
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Weird Clutch

check the carpet in the driver's footwell, and feel the
bottom of the boot on the clutch slave... sounds to me
like one of them is leaking...

michael paine
vin 6067

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:37:15 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Bad alternator/dark current

When I wanted to know exactly how much "dark current" was leaking away
while the car sat, I connected an ammeter up to the battery and pulled the
fuses one by one.  After identifying the responsible circuit(s) it was far
simpler to find the responsible culprit.  Most likely it is the courtesy
circuit (fuse #12 I believe).

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:53:05 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Question and strange car show behavior

Yeah, that's really messed up.  I was at a show this weekend and I had
to kick three different people out of my driver seat.  One guy
actually told me I was rude to do that.  I told him ploping your butt
in someone else's exotic collectiable car is what is considered rude.
He disagreed.

Sometimes people just amaze me.

Just curious Phil, did you wash your car after the show?

Johnny
5518

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:37:40 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Needed Badly: Button Clip for the Mode Switch

Joe,

I just disassembled my mode switch yesterday, and the plastic was so
brittle on the tabs that they broke. However, I took the piece (now
missing the top of one tab) and turned it sideways (since the hole is
rectangular) and pushed it back in. It was a tight squeeze, and
required force, but pushed the remaining tab through as well as
jammed this plastic piece up into the switch. I do not think it is
going to go anywhere, as it is very tight. Hooked everything back up
and the seal works great. If you cannot find the plastic clip w/tabs,
try this out before buying a new switch.

Also, I learned my lesson with the center console removal, and have
now taken out the metal retaining clips for the shift plate. Ugh,
what a pain to get out.

-Derek

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_m...>
wrote:

>> Joe,
>>
>> Topic about a week ago about this clip in a "mode switch rebuild"

thread.  I

>> believe someone said that Houston may sell this part.  Call up the

main

>> vendors.  They may have a used Mode switch they'll part out.  I

also saw a

>> Mode Switch on eBay a few days ago.  I don't think it was too

expensive

>> although I can't remember.  John Hervey may have one of these

clips.  In my

>> dealings with him he usually has alot of little odds and ends.
>>
>> Jeff in NC

clip

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:41:07 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You probably did not reset the counter right. If you remove the wires
going to the counter the light should go out. If it does then you must
reset the counter again, correctly this time. Get a paper clip and
straighten it out. Now bend it into a "U" shape with the ends the same
length. Fit it into the button on the end and turn it until the
counter is back to zeros.

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:38:35 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Air Condition at Highway Speeds

There are R-12 alternative refrigerants - non CFC based which claim to
be compatible with R-12.  In theory you can even use them for a top off.
When these products claim compatibility of that they are certified for
use in an R-12 system, that only means that they are environmentally
acceptable - no guarantee of performance.  I have not tried them. I
guess if someone has gone to the trouble to mass produce and market the
stuff it may be ok,  but I vote real R-12.

Tom

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:45:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Hazard relay failure symptom?

Replace the bulbs!  Remember, these are dual filament bulbs.  It sounds to me like you've just got one of each filament out on each light.  Probably a good a idea to clean the sockets while you're in there, and clean all the marker light sockets, too.

Jake
1063

Joshua Weader <weader_at_dml_moocow.org> wrote:
Hi folks -

I'm trying to figure out whether I have a problem with the hazard relay or
with the wiring to the front parking lights. When I turn the headlights on,
the passenger-side parking light is illuminated, but the drivers-side light is
out. When I turn on the hazards, the opposite happens: the drivers-side light
flashes, but the passenger-side light is out.

The tail lights all behave as they should in both circumstances. The left
directional also works correctly, but the right directional flashes at double
time (with the front light still completely out).

>From all of this, it sounds to me like I've got an issue in the wiring
somewhere, rather than an issue with the relay. Has anyone else had symptoms
like this?

Thanks,

--Josh

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:09:41 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

Washed and windexed to get the multitude of fingerprints off.
Phil Priestley

Vin 2105
IN FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:16:04 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

[Moderator Note: Please feel free to discuss the subject of car show behavior, but messages discussing this (or any other) television show will be rejected.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week.]

For anyone that hasn't seen it, SNL did a pseudo commercial for the
Mercury Mistress that relates very well to the guy grinding against
my car. http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/29939/

Phil Priestley

Vin 2105
IN FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:59:06 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Question and (rude) car show behavior

Indeed. At the DMCH Open House random people were just dropping into
owner's driver seats in the "People's Choice" area and Warren had to
wander around and shoo them out.

Some people seem to think DMCH is just any old used car lot. For those
of you showing your cars, I recommend you print up some signs that
generally read "Please do not touch" and "Do not enter".

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_g...>
wrote:

>> Yeah, that's really messed up.  I was at a show this weekend and I

had

>> to kick three different people out of my driver seat.  One guy
>> actually told me I was rude to do that.  I told him ploping your butt
>> in someone else's exotic collectiable car is what is considered

rude.

>> He disagreed.
>>
>> Sometimes people just amaze me.
>>
>> Just curious Phil, did you wash your car after the show?
>>
>> Johnny
>> 5518

<snip>

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:01:11 -0000
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>
Subject: remove shif knob

I have not seen this question before but I have tried a few times to
get the shift knob off. I have had a stainless one since before I even
got the car.

The knob won't budge and I don't want to damage anything in doing it -
any suggestions?

Mike Walsh