Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2760
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:26 Jul 2005 12:40:41 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: New D Owner - more repair questions
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: remove shif knob
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

3. Re: remove shif knob
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Improving radio reception
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Re: remove shif knob
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

6. Re: Air Condition at Highway Speeds
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. RE: remove shift knob
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

8. Re: remove shif knob
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

10. Re: Concours d'Elegance
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

11. Delorean Lower Crankcase
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Rebuilding the PRV
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

13. Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

14. Clutch "pop" question...
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. Re: DeLorean World magazines
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

17. YEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
From: "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_delorean.com>

18. Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: steering wheel lock - unlocked
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

20. Re: Air Condition at Highway Speeds
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. Re: Improving radio reception
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Power Window Motor
From: "John Poland" <jpoland13_at_dml_charter.net>

23. Re: New D Owner - more repair questions
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

24. DMCH Seat Covers Review
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

25. RE: Re: Air Condition at Highway Speeds
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:42:10 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: New D Owner - more repair questions

Derek..

    I'm hoping you have a color copy of the wiring  diagram.  Sounds like a
lot of crossed wires. Any good auto electric shops  around you?

Roy  #0893

In a message dated 7/25/2005 2:15:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net writes:

Something screwy here? Any clues?

So far I have added new  fuses/relays, which fixed all instrument cluser
gauges, and door
lights.  Took apart tail lights, cleaned contacts, replaced bulbs. Put on
eyebrow fix,
changed headlights. Installed an air bleeder kit, as well as the fan fail
kit. Fixed leaky
mode switch. Any help is appreciated,  thanks.

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:04:03 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: remove shif knob

Mike

You just unscrew it. Make sure you are turning it in the right direction -
counterclockwise. Just grab the ball firmly and turn. This is the only way
you can do it. There are no locks or anything else, it just screws on.
Good luck

Tom Niemczewski
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet pl -> www.deloreana.com
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:57:10 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Unless the previous owner did something weird (glued/welded it on?),
it just screws off. This is a 5 speed, right?

Grab the leather and pull it down a bit, it should expose a pair of
nuts just below the shift knob. Loosen the lower nut (move it further
away from the shift knob), then the upper if you can get a wrench on
it. The shift knob should then spin off freely.

-Ryan

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:54:03 -0000
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Improving radio reception

My combo radio\CD player has really weak reception. My other vehicles
radios get a lot of stations, is it the radio or the Delorean's
antenna? What can be done to improve this situation?

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:42:19 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Mike,

The shift ball should come off with a pair of channel lock pliers,
but make sure to protect the shift knob with some rubberized type
of material to keep it from getting scratched up.  Some items that
you may be able to use are a worn tennis ball or rachet ball that
has been split slightly with a razor blade, or even a piece of old
bicycle inner tube, to give some no-mare grip to the shift knob.

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:10:54 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Air Condition at Highway Speeds

Thanks to everyone for their insights. If R-134a runs at higher pressure, I guess that
would explain the cycling. It sounds like the path of least resistance would be to go back
to R-12.

- Geoff
10718

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:20:16 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: remove shift knob

Mike,

Try using one of those rubber pads used for opening bottle lids to give you
more grip. If that doesn't work try a strap-wrench. If that doesn't work say
two Hail Mary's or pray to Allah before heating the base with a Butane torch
and have another go at it with the strap-wrench:).

Rob Grady

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:10:15 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Put some muscle behind it! It'll budge.

-Joe

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:25:54 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>
Subject: Re: Question and strange car show behavior

On keeping folks out of your car...

Have you ever been to a bank or movie theater, where they have the
velvet ropes to keep people in a line?  They work -very- well.

I'm not suggesting that y'all go out and buy velvet rope, but Home Depot
sells black plastic chain link for less than a buck per foot.  It's
flexible, and will fit easily over the door pins, thus making a 'velvet
rope' of sorts to keep people out.  You could even hang a little
information card describing features of your car or the like if you
wished, but people would get the idea - stay out!

(Of course, then you get all kinds of <mentally challenged> people
asking why they built DeLoreans with chain across the door, but ya'
probably can't help that.)

In any event, it's a good idea to keep curious onlookers out for their
own safety.

At a car show here in Pittsburgh several years ago, I was parked next to
a Checker cab.  Several really badly-behaved young children actually
locked themselves inside the cab, making faces at everyone who was
trying to get them to come out.  [Side note: where are these kids'
parents???]  It was just simply annoying until the kids discovered
turning the ignition key would lurch the still-in-gear cab forward
several feet each time.  They found this very amusing, but if the engine
would have caught -- it was a potentially deadly situation for
themselves and others.  Another attendee had to smash the window glass
to get the keys and diffuse the situation.  The owners arrived back at
their car to find the seats ripped up and a broken window.

That is worst-case-scenario of course, but you get the idea.

-Dave

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:07:23 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Concours d'Elegance

Byron,

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it!  The weather was quite a
challenge, to say the least.  It rained in buckets in the early
morning, stopped late morning, and we prepped the car again just in
time for the real storm to hit just before noon.  It finally stopped
raining around 2pm and the weather was clear after that.  My secret
weapon in getting the car to look so good was James Espey, who was
gracious enough to fly to MI to attend the show and help me prep the
car.  Thank you James!

The Delorean did recieve quite a bit of attention, sometimes to the
dismay of other owners who seemed annoyed that people would walk
past their classic Vettes, 57 T-Birds, etc. to see a car built in
1981 - what an outrage!!

I lost to a rare 51 Cunningham, I think only 26 were ever built.  I
didn't expect to win, and that's OK.  It was just an honor being in
the show and being able to expose people to a Delorean.

Sandor
# 3002

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_m...>
wrote:

>> True to Sandor's words, his Delorean was amongst the finest Auto's
>> in the world. I heard that the cars on display were by "invite
>> only"?. Some of the cars were worth millions of dollars. I put
>> Sandors name down for Peoples choice! Sandors D is awesome.

Lowered,

>> original wide decal along the side. Beautiful gray interior.
>> Sandor was not by his car at the time I was there, however I did
>> take notice at the true intrigue people had as that stopped to

look

>> at the car. "Its all stainless steel" "Back to the future""John
>> Delorean" "Innovator".
>>
>> I have no idea how he kept that thing clean after a major rain

event

>> swept the area all morning. The ground was sopping wet churring up
>> mud, all the cars were gleaming! go figure.
>>
>> Byron
>>

>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_m...>

event.

there

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:11:25 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean Lower Crankcase

Hey Guys,

I'm at the point in my restoration where I've loaded the Eagle Premier
engine & transmission into the frame!  I was wondering if anyone on the
list has a Delorean Lower Crankcase complete with oil pan etc?  If you
do, please email me off-list.  If you don't have an oil pan, that's ok,
as I have one that is partially damaged and may have it fixed.

It should make things alot easier to load into the stock engine mounts
unless anyone else has a different solution?

Thanks,

Brandon

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:29:46 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Rebuilding the PRV

I'm in the process of repairing the damage I caused to my engine during a
test run last month.  I'm in need of a crank-shaft pully for my engine and
was wondering if anyone happened to have a spare one to sell.

One more thing; what size piston rings does the PRV call for?  Can I
purchase them from a local parts store, i.e. AutoZone, NAPA, etc. etc?  I've
searched the archives and came up empty.

Thanks yall,
Lingo, #2034

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:24:58 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior

http://tinyurl.com/7kdrv

This is how i keep people out of my car at shows. It looks stainless
and somewhat matches the car.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:38:46 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Clutch "pop" question...

Hi guys,
I had a quick clutch question.  My car has a stainless steel clutch line,
new slave and master cylinder.  The clutch however is original.

Here is the problem.  When the car is shifted into second gear it will "pop"
out of gear into neutral if my foot is off the gas.  It will stay in second
if you apply a teeny, teeny tiny amount of pressure on the stick.  It will
also stay if the car is accelerating.  The clutch only does this in second
gear.  When it is running in second it runs smooth and accelerates
flawlessly so I don't think its the transmission.  The previous owner had
Delorean One do most of the work and Ed recomended replacing the clutch in
the near future.  I was thinking it might have to do with a linkage problem?
  What do you think?

-Alex

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:42:11 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

Good Lord, Dave, that story was simply awful!  I can't imagine how the
owners felt.  I find it a little strange that they left their keys in
it, though.

I did have a rope around the car.  It was the kind that you find in
airports that retracts into the pylons and looks like a seatbelt.
It's the only time my DeLorean had that "museum" look to it.

It still didn't keep them out.  Out of the hundreds of spectators that
were there, I had only three in the seat and one I had to shake my
finger at.  Still, I should have had ZERO climbing in.

I have signs, but I don't like to use them as they can sometimes send
the wrong message.  You know, "The owner must be a real snob",
message.

I guess I'm going to start being that way because the signs are going
with me next time.  And the time after that.

Maybe a Carcoon...  :)

Johnny
5518

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:40:00 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean World magazines

Sorry to hear about all the pressures you are under. I admire what
you are doing to keep the DOA ongoing. History speaks for itself. My
father was a DOA from the beginning. I have news letters from you
guys throughout the 80's. My dad recently handed down his 81' to me
that has been restored to new appearance and function.. John
Truscott's contribution to the Delorean community through Delorean
related news, tech, support gatherings is absolutely amazing. I am
guilty as charged at age 36, now owning my dads car and driving it
on weekends to have the luxury of stepping in to the Delorean World
and pick at the abundance of knowledge like fruit from a tree. Good
luck to the future Delorean World. When the magazines arrive, they
arrive. Can't beat the deal, its gonna take a while to read through
them all. Thank you for such an amazing offer. Talk about picking
the fruit! I have a full basket now!
Byron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, debra spurlin <dmspurlin_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>> Hello!
>>
>> The first half of the magazine orders went out a week ago last

Wednesday.  The second half

>> went this last Tuesday.  There are still about ten packages yet to

be sent.  These have to go to the post office, due to P.O. boxes,
overseas, etc.

>> The membership kits have yet to be sent.  My husband is currently

the President, we are running the DeLorean World and membership
special, trying to run membership (due to

>> John Truscott's health problems, totally reformatting the

membership programs, and do some products.  Therefore our life is a
bit hectic right now.  They were sent out exactly in the order to
which your orders came in.  They will continue in the way.  With
working and the four other groups we are in charge of (not DeLorean
related) our life is really a mess.  But, we are working

>> as hard as we can.
>>
>> We have not received everything we need  from the Truscott's to

send the membership packets out.  And my husband has newly taken
over the membership work.  It has to be updated in a

>> more user friendly format.  John T. was running to entirely

separate programs for it.

>> So, this is the current update.  All will be sent as quickly as we

can.  But, doing four jobs out of here with my husband is taking
quite a lot of time.

>> Debbie
>> -------------------
>> Videobob Moseley <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:
>> I paid June 7th, and I got the magazines on July 20th.
>> They were sent UPS Ground.
>>
>> I paid $225 total with the shipping.
>> That works out to $3.30 an issue.
>> Not a bad deal, and it looks lIke i got every one that was on the

list.

>> For some reason they only make photo copies of the first 3

volumes, (9

>> issues).
>>
>> I managed to fit all of them into one single plastic magazine

holder I got

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:44:54 -0000
From: "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: YEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

My parents and I just went over to see a delorean (owned by a close
friend of mine) and they struck a deal, so I will be living the dream
in late October!!! It's VIN # SCEDT26TXDD016569 and her body and
interior are in EXCELLENT shape. She's a manual with black interior.
Hopfully all she needs are brakes, a fuel pump kit, and door struts,
but it has been sitting for a bit less than a year so it will probably
be needing something else, but even so I think it is a great deal at
$14,000! I have read the Newbie Files several times, but does anyone
have any advice on what to do when I get it? Thank you!

Freddie Wise

p.s. YES, I DO know what I have gotten myself into  ;)

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:43:30 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

At shows, I usually just buckle the seatbelts over the seats.  I'm
only guessing that this is a solution because I have never really
had any problems with people trying to sneak a sit in my car.  The
only times people sit in it is if they ask me if they can for a
picture or whatever.  If they ask, I usually do not mind.  But, the
seatbelt thing seems to work fine for me without having to buy
anything extra or fancy.  The only problems I have is people
touching my car.  No one usually touches cars at car shows...  But
there is something about the DeLorean that makes people need to
touch it.  What's up with that?
Corey
2423

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_f...>

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:29:08 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: steering wheel lock - unlocked

Hi everyone.

I just joined the list a few days ago, and bought my first Delorean roughly a week ago. It's an 81 with roughly 37k miles but that's not why i'm writing this message.

While I haven't had alot of experience with Deloreans (other than redoing a headliner in one about 10 years ago when I worked an an upholstry shop) I can give some advice about using WD-40. While WD-40 is a wonderful substance, never ever ever use it as a lubricant in this fashion..
WD-40 becomes basicly a hard laquer when it dries, and if it dries between two pieces of metal, they will cease to move. If you've ever used WD-40 on the steering lock before, this is likly the reason it froze up in the first place. When you want parts to keep moving, your best off using a good grease or machine oil, depending on what your trying to accomplish. WD-40 is good for breaking stuff loose, but not for keeping stuff loose.

Chris Murley
VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean/
(not a lot here yet other than a few pics I took shortly after getting the car and starting to work on it. But by the end of the week i'll have it updated with a real site listing my current progress on getting it back on the road, planned work to do in the future(when its not 100F outside :P ), and expenses to date.)

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:45:10 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Just to be accurate, the fans are supposed to run when the clutch on
the A/C compressor is engaged. When the A/C clutch cycles off the fans
should also cycle off unless the otterstadt switch is keeping the fans
on. You should be able to tell from the temp gauge if the otterstadt
is running the fans. You should know at what point the fans kick on
and off on the temp gauge.

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:48:46 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Improving radio reception

Sounds like you may have a problem with your antennae. Which one do
you have? If you have the one in the windscreen they are known to be
lousey at getting a decent signal. If you have the one on the fender
in the front or the power one in the rear it could be a bad
connection. Get out a meter and check it for continuity and ground.

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:50:23 -0000
From: "John Poland" <jpoland13_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Power Window Motor

I need some help with this.  I have the newer type window motor in my
car.  The motor fell off the tube with the window all the way down,
and now the window is stuck open.  It will not come up no matter what
I do.  I clamped the motor to the door with the tube back in it, but
when I tried to put the window up it just pushed the tube out of the
motor.  I think the window is hung up somewhere.  I can't figure out
how to get the tube out of the car to try to get it fixed.  The motor
still works, so I think I can get it fixed if I can get the tube out
and the window to move.  Any suggestions?

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 04:00:44 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

Not that I trust to work on this car. I dont think its anything crossed, as the car was hardly
driven. I think its just corrosion and age that has taken its course on this car. Electric-wise
right now I need to fix the engine compartment light, which I think has something to do
with the switch (may just buy a whole new assembly). However, I need to find out why the
horn is not working, as well as try to determine why the dome lights do not work correctly.
Should be fun...

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:58:12 -0500
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: DMCH Seat Covers Review

All,

Some may remember me recently posting that I was looking to replace my seat
covers.  I had seen the DMCH grey covers before installed on a car, but I
don't recall ever seeing the black ones.  Only hours after my post hit the
DML, James Espey had sent me pictures of the black covers installed on a car
so I ordered them.

First, I'll admit, I am extremely picky with cosmetic details on the car.  I
don't at all mind replacing OEM pieces, but I want them to look exactly as
they did from the factory.  When my seat covers arrived, they were packaged
nicely, shipped inside out.  I noticed the covers have much more padding
than the originals and are manufactured much more nicely.  The stitching was
almost exactly the same as the originals and the grain is nearly identical
to the other interior pieces.  I did have some mild complaints, though,
granted it was at the height of that post-sale cognitive dissonance:  I
thought the covers might be too "wrinkly" and the color was not what I was
used to.  My old covers were a little bit darker black with a more "slick"
appearance.  However!.....

When I started to remove my old skins, I felt much better.  I found a piece
of the seat vinyl that was tucked under the seat, never being exposed to
sun, skin, armor-all, leatherique, or anything else.  I compared that piece
with the new covers to find they were pretty damn close.  Remarkably
similar, actually.  As far as the wrinkles go, I visited Tamir's site and
looked up all the pictures I could of a new DeLorean interior in 1981.
Guess what?  Lots of wrinkles.  I always knew there were some, but that new
leather was very loose on the seats back in '81 -and uncle Jake was all
happy again.

How to install them??  Easy!  Grab my trusty winter issue of Gullwing
Magazine with the exceptionally entertaining and informative article written
by Dave Jacobs.  Dave explains how to do it all, with pictures too!  Thanks
Dave.  I installed them myself only muttering a few obscenities over a
leisurely weekend.  It's a much more time-consuming job than it appears, but
I wouldn't classify it as exceptionally difficult.  I was a little
discontent with the fit of the headrests, but I just pulled those boys as
tight as I could and they came out pretty nice.

My recommendation: *buy them*.    I've spent the last week or two driving on
them and I love them; and they are much softer than the originals.  I've
gotten lots of compliments on the quality of the seats.  They look great,
and my car smells like a new pair of shoes.  Mmmmmmmm boy...  If anyone
wants to see the "half-way" comparison of the old and new seats, see the
root directory of the "Photos" section.  --And yes, I did replace both of
them  :-)

For me and 1063,
Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:08:53 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Air Condition at Highway Speeds

Freeze 12 is a working sub for R12 that has been used for years. If you
can't find it locally I have plenty in stock.

>> There are R-12 alternative refrigerants - non CFC based which claim to
>> be compatible with R-12.  In theory you can even use them for a top
>> off. When these products claim compatibility of that they are
>> certified for use in an R-12 system, that only means that they are
>> environmentally acceptable - no guarantee of performance.  I have
>> not tried them. Iguess if someone has gone to the trouble to mass
>> produce and market the stuff it may be ok,  but I vote real R-12.
>>
>> Tom
>> 10902

[long quote trimmed by moderator]