Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2761
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:26 Jul 2005 17:39:33 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Weird Clutch
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Re: Possessed Car
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

3. Re: Improving radio reception
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

4. RE: Re: Idle Speed Motor / Cooling
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: Question and (rude) car show behavior
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. DeLorean Stock Certificate
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. RE: Rebuilding the PRV
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. Re: New D Owner - more repair questions
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. RE: New D Owner - more repair questions
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: Question and (rude) car show behavior
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. RE: Delorean Lower Crankcase
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

12. High idle
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

13. Re: Hazard relay failure symptom?
From: TheStash <TheStash_at_dml_optonline.net>

14. RE: Clutch "pop" question...
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

15. RE: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: "Michael Fischer" <michael.fischer_at_dml_dittybase.com>

16. Re: Good De Lorean Fonts
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. strange car shows
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

18. Re: YEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. RE: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Strange car show behavior
From: Oliver Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

21. RE: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. RE: Re: Good De Lorean Fonts
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: steering wheel lock - unlocked
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. RE: High idle
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:25:23 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Weird Clutch

Jimmy, The seals will swell a small amount when hot or used. Pressure/fluid
will bleed off some letting you know it's replacement time. Our seals are
warranted for life since we make new ones.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/clutch-transmission.html

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:28:15 -0400
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Possessed Car

I can't comment about the coolant and starting issues, but as far as the speakers go...I'd question the integrity of your mechanic. Perhaps the shop thought that the OEM speakers were somehow rare and valuable...watch to see if they appear on eBay!!!

~ David C. Toscano
former owner of 1650 and 4337

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:16:15 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Improving radio reception

Which antenna do you have ?
I have the one in the left pontoon and still the reception was
pretty bad until I invested some bucks in a brand radio.
The difference is amazing !

Elvis

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:28:44 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Idle Speed Motor / Cooling

ok, You try it with 12 volts direct. I have plenty of new ones in stock
waiting.

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:37:25 +0100
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Question and (rude) car show behavior

This isnt uncommon behavious I'm afraid. VIN 1274 had its louvres
slammed down by one passing brute after he had a look at the engine.
And then there was another car that some family decided that the seats
were a climbing frame and crawled all over them!! The louvre slammer
came back later for another round, and got in the second car and qas
quickly escorted away..

some people just dont know how to treat other peoples property.

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:45:32 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DeLorean Stock Certificate

Is there anyone on this list who owns one of the real DeLorean stock
certificates?
Please contact me off list if you, I have a question.
Thanks.

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:23:37 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Rebuilding the PRV

Robert, If you don't find the rings let me know. I purchase parts from one
of the largest importers of Volvo parts.

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:04:03 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: New D Owner - more repair questions

>> - The engine compartment light doesnt work. The bulb works fine, I tested
>> it in the trunk,
>> but when we put the trunk light in the engine compartment, the fuse blew.
>> When I tried it
>> with no bulb, the fuse blew. Right now it is only working with the right
>> bulb in but no light
>> is shining.

The switch, probably. They generally blow apart and most owners (or quite a
few anyway) leave it that way because it doesn't provide much light.

Interior lights - The back dome light works when set on "door" mode, but

>> there is no
>> timer. The front light, when set on "door" mode, only comes on when the
>> door is closed.
>> Something screwy here? Any clues?

Sounds like the wires for the front and/or rear light are off. When they are
hooked up right they don't "seem" right. I would search the archives with
google and you should be able to find the right wire combination.

-- -Kevin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 9 Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:31:32 -0500 From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com> Subject: RE: New D Owner - more repair questions Derek, The engine compartment light switch in most cases is flimsily and won't hold up very long. I have a replacement on the web site. Dome lights are normally the bulb or the wires broke loose and the horn can be cleaned or replaced easily. John Hervey -----Original Message----- From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com [mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Derek Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 10:01 PM To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DML] New D Owner - more repair questions Not that I trust to work on this car. I dont think its anything crossed, as the car was hardly driven. I think its just corrosion and age that has taken its course on this car. Electric-wise right now I need to fix the engine compartment light, which I think has something to do with the switch (may just buy a whole new assembly). However, I need to find out why the horn is not working, as well as try to determine why the dome lights do not work correctly. Should be fun... --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, lordshill_at_dml_a... wrote:

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:02:16 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hey we all have these horror stories.
People just don't have respect for other people's property, mostly because
they loose
their inhibitions sometimes when they see the car.

I came out of a goth club one night to find some crazy vampire bitch doing a
White-Snake video
on the hood of my car! I thought I would kill her, but slapping her around
would only get her
off....

Then there was the time I took the car to a Huey Lewis concert.
I figured that there would be enough 35+ year old people there to behave
themselves
but I there were a lot of younger people there, they mauled the car.
It looked like a pack of 3 year old's who had been eating pop-cicles all day
had
gotten a hold of it.
I had to hand wash it for hours to get all the finger prints off it.
One a-hole actually opened the door, got in and started pushing buttons!
he was shocked and surprised that I would yell at him to get out of my car!

So, my plan is to build some sort of barrier system that can be folded up
and carried
in the car for when I show it.
When it is parked in a parking lot most people respect it but when it is on
"display"
people treat it like one of those fiberglass props at Universal Studios that
people climb
on top of to take pictures.
So you have to put up a barrier to keep people from climbing in.
They will hop in real fast to try to get their picture taken.
...... a word of advice from someone who shows their car all the time,
if someone in a crowd asks you if they can get inside and take a picture
politely
tell them "no", or to "come back later when no one is around".
Otherwise, if you let them you will immediately have a huge crowd of people
who all
want to climb in and get a picture and then things get out of control.

You have to use discretion when showing the car, at a car show the attendees
pretty
much know the rules, they know they are not allowed to touch the cars, but
if you have
brought your car to a special event where it is the center of attention and
the point of
the showing, this is when things can get hairy.

Also, it helps if you are prepared with some printed information, other wise
you will
be talking your head off until you are hoarse answering questions.
Be warned.

- Videobob

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:46:00 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Delorean Lower Crankcase

Brandon,

We have both items available. If you're interested call (800)350-7429 and
ask for me.

Rob Grady

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:10:22 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: High idle

Right now my car, when started, idles at about 1800 and slowly creeps upwards of 2000.
Once the car is warmed up by driving for a few minutes, the idle sits steady at 2500. Don't
know if it matters, but the car is a 5 speed. Does anybody have any idea what could be
causing this? Thanks!

-Derek

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:38:00 -0400
From: TheStash <TheStash_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Hazard relay failure symptom?

Also check that the plug into the hazard switch is seated properly. I've had
that problem before...

Tony Pistachio
#10781 STSSTEEL
Wappingers Falls, NY

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:49:29 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Clutch "pop" question...

Alex,

It's likely to be a broken second gear fork stop pin. It's a fifty cent item
but you'll have to pull the tranny to install it! The pin shears when
someone drives with a dragging clutch generally due to a fluid leak. Wait
until you're ready to replace the clutch before going through all this
trouble as it can be lived with for a while. We carry OEM and Centerforce
clutch's as well as a complete M.T. seal kit (Includes 2nd gear fork pin)
when you're ready to tackle this job.

Rob Grady

P.J. Grady Inc.

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:37:12 -0600
From: "Michael Fischer" <michael.fischer_at_dml_dittybase.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Question and strange car show behavior

I've been showing my D in various shows around Western Canada for the past 8
years, and have learned a few tips:

I've done something very similar to Mark V's bar, kinda as hybrid of this
and Dave Stragard's post.

I bought some of that plastic chain (in white) I got the smaller links
because I like the look, then I bought a short length of larger links (also
white plastics) and gave then a quick trim with a utility knife so that they
slip over the strikers.

So far no problems with them, plus the added benefit is they give little
hands (kids) something to touch when they look inside, rather then the car.

I know it's not gonna stop a real ...jerk... from getting in, but it's just
a friendly hint that the open doors are not an invitation.  (Though I don't
recall ever saying no if they ask.)

All that said, so far I've found the best way is to just be around the car
and be friendly ....  Ethusiasm for the car is very contagious.

Also be friendly with the owner's of the cars around you, the D tends to
draw attention, so be sure to check out their cars; a 2nd or 3rd set of
friendly eyes around is always helpful.

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:55:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Good De Lorean Fonts

Chuck,
You can find multiple programs that do various tasks here:
http://www.fontlab.com/index.php
I have only had experience with Fontographer, that I know will allow you to
create a font from scratch. A bit pricy though...

Shannon Y
16506
-------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:50:32 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: strange car shows

I don't think I'm going to any more car shows.

Recently, the local IBM division where I work held an employee car show,
which got a reasonably nice turnout.  I ended up next to a Lamborghini,
and we had about 100 other vehicles.  There were classic 'Vetttes, monster
trucks, motorcycles, and a host of other conveyances in various
categories.  The judging was strictly "people's choice" voting.

I didn't win in the "Sports Car" class, although I didn't expect it with
all the fine classics present.  The winner in this class?...2005 Porsche
Boxster.

Gads.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:23:24 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: YEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

You may want to start here:
http://www.dmcnews.com/techmain.htm
and go to the General section, new owner hints. Congrats!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> My parents and I just went over to see a delorean (owned by a close
>> friend of mine) and they struck a deal, so I will be living the dream
>> in late October!!! It's VIN # SCEDT26TXDD016569 and her body and
>> interior are in EXCELLENT shape. She's a manual with black interior.
>> Hopfully all she needs are brakes, a fuel pump kit, and door struts,
>> but it has been sitting for a bit less than a year so it will

probably

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:24:33 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

The reason people want to touch our cars is because they want to see if it
is really raw metal.
The concept is foreign to them, they assume that it would rust.
Some don't believe it is a real DeLorean and think that it is a fiberglass
replica painted in silver.
This is why they want to feel the metal, and sometime knock on it.
I had one asshole tapping on the fender with his key to hear it "ring".....
I thought I would behead him like a Jihad video!

I show my car a lot, several times a month so I have gained some experience
doing this.
I have since learned that it is more fun to dress incognito (no BTTF or
DeLorean shirt)
and stand back a few feet and pretend to be another spectator (I will even
take
pictures and make comments) ....then you can see and hear what people REALLY
think
and say about the car when they think the owner is not around.

So far the consensus is that the car is a novelty to see and "cool", but in
a nerdy way.
The car holds zero respect with Hot-Rodders other than an appreciation for
it's
unique looks and rare appearance....but the words "It's a shame" and "what a
waste"
and such are used when ever they look at the engine.
The car is stuck with the stigma of being unreliable and slow.
So far there is not much that can be done to disprove this..because
unfortunately
it's true. It's the slowest car on the road and your chances of breaking
down or going
up in flames is highest in a DeLorean than most any other car I can think
of.
All that said, everyone still loves to look at it, take pictures of it and
pose next to it.

However, none of the other car clubs respect it.
The British clubs hate it, the Italian clubs will not allow it in the shows
either.
It's a weird bastard car, the red headed step child.
Lucky for me I am too.... so we are a match.
Regardless of what others think about it, I like the car and I am willing to
deal
with it's problems and the baggage that comes with it.
It's all part of the package.

I think it is all this baggage that keeps so many of these cars stuck in the
garage
under a cover.
I was surprised to learn that there are about the same amount of Pantera's
as there
are DeLoreans except I see lots of Pantera's at shows and out and about.
What does this mean?
The DeTomesa Pantera is one bad ass hot rod car, and even though it is just
as rare
as the DeLorean people want to get them out and drive them.
I think that if the DeLorean is going to have longevity as a classic car on
the road
that more and more people should just strip them of all the OEM electrical
system and drivetrain
and convert them to other engines, transmissions, etc.
I know this is blasphemy to the purists, but there are plenty of museum
quality
DeLoreans out there for display.
The best thing for the image of this car is to see more of them driving
reliably down
the road....screaming with V8's, Northstar's, whatever.
The PRV just sucks, we all know it....so let's stop tap dancing around it.
It might be fairly reliable, but so is my lawnmower.
I want the power to at least beat a Hyundia!
If they had put a decent engine in the car we would have a different
history.
If I had my way I would stuff that 5.7 HEMI that I have in my Magnum in that
sucker.
Can you imagine that? With a 5 speed auto-stick?
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick - that would rock!

I know I will get flamed for this...but it's just one dudes opinion.
What do I know anyway?
-VB

>>From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: [DML] Re: Question and strange car show behavior
>>Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:43:30 -0000
>>
>>At shows, I usually just buckle the seatbelts over the seats.  I'm
>>only guessing that this is a solution because I have never really
>>had any problems with people trying to sneak a sit in my car.  The
>>only times people sit in it is if they ask me if they can for a
>>picture or whatever.  If they ask, I usually do not mind.  But, the
>>seatbelt thing seems to work fine for me without having to buy
>>anything extra or fancy.  The only problems I have is people
>>touching my car.  No one usually touches cars at car shows...  But
>>there is something about the DeLorean that makes people need to
>>touch it.  What's up with that?
>>Corey
>>2423

[incredibly long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:12:47 -0400
From: Oliver Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Strange car show behavior

I had some tourists jump into the passenger seat when I wasn't looking.
We weren't at a show, but had gotten out to chat in a parking lot and
all of a sudden, a kid is in my car posing for photos, and gets ticked
when we suggest he should have asked before jumping into someone elses
car.  Meanwhile, his friend heads around to the drivers side, 'asking'
as he tries to get in.  When I say no thank you, he explains to me that
he must, in order to get in the photo alongside his friend.
(!)
Upon my firm recommendation, he ended up posing beside his friend on
the curb next to the car.

It's nice to get attention, but some humans are rude idiots.
This kind of moment helps you understand what a living hell celebrities
must go through on a daily basis.
-Oliver
#10694

  Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:53:05 -0700
    From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Question and strange car show behavior

Yeah, that's really messed up.  I was at a show this weekend and I had
to kick three different people out of my driver seat.  One guy
actually told me I was rude to do that.  I told him ploping your butt
in someone else's exotic collectiable car is what is considered rude.
He disagreed.>

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:07:08 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Kudos, great idea to use the plastic chains!
I might check into that!
- VB

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:19:36 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Good De Lorean Fonts

If you go to http://www.dfwdmc.com and click on MEDIA you can download the
font at the top of the page.
- VB

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:22:47 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: steering wheel lock - unlocked

I agree completely, specially in colder, drier climates. I have used
a graphite lubricant that comes in a powder. It won't break anything
free that's already froze, but will keep moving parts free in tight
spaces such as key holes. Anyone have other suggestions?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> I just joined the list a few days ago, and bought my first

Delorean roughly a week ago. It's an 81 with roughly 37k miles but
that's not why i'm writing this message.

>> While I haven't had alot of experience with Deloreans (other than

redoing a headliner in one about 10 years ago when I worked an an
upholstry shop) I can give some advice about using WD-40. While WD-
40 is a wonderful substance, never ever ever use it as a lubricant
in this fashion..

>> WD-40 becomes basicly a hard laquer when it dries, and if it dries

between two pieces of metal, they will cease to move. If you've ever
used WD-40 on the steering lock before, this is likly the reason it
froze up in the first place. When you want parts to keep moving,
your best off using a good grease or machine oil, depending on what
your trying to accomplish. WD-40 is good for breaking stuff loose,
but not for keeping stuff loose.

>> Chris Murley
>> VIN# 03209
>> http://badger.brazi.net/delorean/
>> (not a lot here yet other than a few pics I took shortly after

getting the car and starting to work on it. But by the end of the
week i'll have it updated with a real site listing my current
progress on getting it back on the road, planned work to do in the
future(when its not 100F outside :P ), and expenses to date.)

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:14:49 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: High idle

We have been discussing this recently, but it has always been an issue.
I have had my car looked at by people and no one figured it out.
Recently I found my problem with the help of someone on this list (Elvis).
It was the "idle speed motor".
This is a small cylinder on the top, left, rear of the engine with a wire
harness
plugged into the top.
When you turn the key to the full on position (without starting)
you should hear it whirring.
This is controlled by the idle ICU computer that is behind the drivers seat
under the shelf.
Everyone wants to blame this for the problem but I am betting that the
25 year old electric motor sitting on top of a 200+ degree engine is usually
problem!

Crank the car up, and fiddle with the wire harness on top of the motor,
better yet, unplug  it and see what happens.
I have found that my car idles and runs just fine when I just leave it
UNPLUGGED.
When I plug it in, the idle jumps up to 1500-2000.

Try it and see what happens.
If that's not it it could be the computer, or a leak.
- VB

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:22:55 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_f...>
wrote:

>> On keeping folks out of your car...
>>

>> Have you ever been to a bank or movie theater, where they have the
>> velvet ropes to keep people in a line?  They work -very- well.

Some very good suggestions so far.  What I do at shows is have the
driver's side door closed and locked and just leave the passenger door
up.  That way, the spectators can see what the car looks like with the
doors closed from one side and with the door up on the other side.
People are more inclined to want to sit in the driver's seat rather
than the passenger side anyway.  Furthermore, I will print off some
DeLorean fact sheets and brochures from the internet and leave them on
the passenger seat for people to read.  I have found this works well
for preventing people from just plopping themselves in the seat
without me coming across as a "snobby sports cars owner".

If I'm around the car when an enthusiastic kid runs up, dragging mom
or dad behind, I'll actually unlock the driver's door and offer him of
her the opportunity to sit in the driver's seat.  When the kid gets
out again with eyes as big as saucers and jaw almost touching the
ground I always get a big "Thank you, you just made my son's day!" and
a handshake from the parents.  Then I close and lock the driver door
again and wander off to check out the other cars at the show.

Richard