Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2762
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:26 Jul 2005 19:06:40 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: YEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

2. Re: New D Owner - more repair questions
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Problem with dome lights (was New D Owner repair ?'s)
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

4. Re: Good De Lorean Fonts
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: remove shif knob
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

6. RE: Strange car show behavior
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

7. Printed Car Show Material [was: ...(rude) car show behavior]
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Question and (rude) car show behavior
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:35:19 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: YEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> My parents and I just went over to see a delorean (owned by a close
>> friend of mine) and they struck a deal, so I will be living the dream
>> in late October!!! It's VIN # SCEDT26TXDD016569 and her body and
>> interior are in EXCELLENT shape. She's a manual with black interior.
>> Hopfully all she needs are brakes, a fuel pump kit, and door struts,
>> but it has been sitting for a bit less than a year so it will probably
>> be needing something else, but even so I think it is a great deal at
>> $14,000! I have read the Newbie Files several times, but does anyone
>> have any advice on what to do when I get it? Thank you!
>>
>> Freddie Wise
>>
>> p.s. YES, I DO know what I have gotten myself into  ;)

Polish up your vocabulary of swear-words for when you have to get at
the many almost-impossible-to-reach parts and broken/stripped/seized
nuts and bolts etc.  Or, make sure you have LOT's of patience.
Remember, these cars are almost a quarter-century old.  Other than
that, congratulations on "living the dream".  You won't regret it.
Cheers, and welcome to the club!

Richard

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:48:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: New D Owner - more repair questions

Greetings.

My interior lights weren't working properly when I got
mine (just a few weeks ago). When going over bumps,
the rear dome would occasionally go on. And niether
worked quite right when openning the doors.

I had them replaced with new units and haven't had any
problems since. Don't have pricing info, but I don't
think it was very expensive. Had it done at Delorean
Motor Center while they had the car for other service.

Best of luck!

- Geoff

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:55:30 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Problem with dome lights (was New D Owner repair ?'s)

I was playing with the dome lights yesterday and this was the result:

I pulled the white delay relay as I heard it has issues and I do not
see a need for it. Then...

Both lights work fine in the "always on" position.

Both lights are off in the "off" position.

With the back light off and the front light "door" activated, it is
on when the doors are closed.

With the front light off and the back light "door" activated, it is
on when the doors are open.

With both front and back "door" activated, the back is on when the
doors are open with the front off, and when the doors are closed,
both the back and the front are on, but dimmer than they should be
when receiving full power.

Any ideas?

-Derek

>> Interior lights - The back dome light works when set on "door"

mode, but

when the

>> Sounds like the wires for the front and/or rear light are off. When

they are

>> hooked up right they don't "seem" right. I would search the

archives with

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:59:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Good De Lorean Fonts

Don't know where to get another Delorean font, but
Fontographer is a great font creation application.
Alternatively, if you only need a few characters, you
can create them in Adobe Illustrator.

- Geoff

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:05:10 +0100
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Re: remove shif knob

I have this same problem and think that the guy before me glued his on... I
really want to change the shift boot and was wondering how to get around
this if I cant get the gear knob off??

Alistair McCann.

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:09:18 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Strange car show behavior

My car is no where near show ready - I had no idea it would be such an
attractive nuisance.

There is a product here that may interest some of you:

http://www.euronova.co.uk/cgi-bin/ats_antitouch.asp#1

Its an anti-touch sensor that sets up a small field near its foil
antenna.  This antenna can be tied to a larger metal object.  What it
does is it looks for variations in the electromagnetic field, and sounds
a shrill alarm when someone gets too close.  It is adjustable from about
3" to 24".  We recently installed them in a museum setting to keep
people from touching reproduction clothing on dress forms.  The metal of
the dress form made a perfect antenna - and we have them set to sound
the alarm if someone puts their hand within about 12" of the object.  It
works very well.

Now an entire car is a lot larger than a dressform, but they have
multiple products and its likely they have exactly the right piece for a
Delorean.  The units can run off the car battery or a separate power
supply.  In essence it will create an invisible field floating off any
metal portion of the car - get within 12" of any stainless and it will
sound.  Further modifications like a different alarm, a pre-recorded
voice chip (Biff saying "hands off Butthead" through the audio system),
a tie in to the car horn or lights, are all pretty elementary if your so
motivated.  I believe two units could be installed with different
sensitivity settings so the first warning is polite and the second could
be more to the point.

Lots of possibilities.

Tom

  Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:53:05 -0700
    From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Question and strange car show behavior

Yeah, that's really messed up.  I was at a show this weekend and I had
to kick three different people out of my driver seat.  One guy actually
told me I was rude to do that.  I told him ploping your butt in someone
else's exotic collectiable car is what is considered rude.
He disagreed.>

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:05:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Printed Car Show Material [was: ...(rude) car show behavior]

With that said might I suggest this:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-Fact%20Sheet.htm

Michael Babb had also offered a brochure on his site in the past but I can't seem
to find it now.
http://www.babbtechnology.com/

Shannon Y
16506

---------------
   From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Question and (rude) car show behavior

Also, it helps if you are prepared with some printed information, other wise
you will
be talking your head off until you are hoarse answering questions.
Be warned.

Yahoo! Mail

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:07:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior

Recently I brought my DMC to the beach, where is sat
in a parking lot all day. When I got back to my car,
it looked like one gigantic finger print.

Some prints are still on the car ... culprits must
have had tanning oil on their hands. Any suggestions
on oily print removal? I already washed the car, and
have tried Windex and stainless steel cleaner.

Geoff 10718

--- coreysmoo <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:

>> At shows, I usually just buckle the seatbelts over
>> the seats.  I'm
>> only guessing that this is a solution because I have
>> never really
>> had any problems with people trying to sneak a sit
>> in my car.  The
>> only times people sit in it is if they ask me if
>> they can for a
>> picture or whatever.  If they ask, I usually do not
>> mind.  But, the
>> seatbelt thing seems to work fine for me without
>> having to buy
>> anything extra or fancy.  The only problems I have
>> is people
>> touching my car.  No one usually touches cars at car
>> shows...  But
>> there is something about the DeLorean that makes
>> people need to
>> touch it.  What's up with that?
>> Corey
>> 2423

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:17:10 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

I've been lucky so far at shows, where no one has taken a seat without
asking (and I usually let them).  I even make them close the door so that
they can get the full effect, although they usually end up
locking/unlocking the door a few times before they find the release latch.
 And unless I'm in a Concours I see no reason not to let people touch the
car...frankly I'm more annoyed by the "wow, an aluminium body" comments.

I think Ken had the right idea many years ago:

  http://www.projectvixen.com/dmcnews-archive/msg11843.html

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas