Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2763
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:27 Jul 2005 01:16:45 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Rebuilding the PRV
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

2. 2006 Car Show
From: Justin Lambright <jlambri4400_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Flushing Fuel lines
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

4. Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: remove shif knob
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. storage
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Printed Car Show Material
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

9. RE: High idle
From: "rob" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

10. Re: Flushing Fuel lines
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. Re: Strange VB car show behavior
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

12. RE: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

13. Re: Printed Car Show Material
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

14. Re: Re: Strange VB car show behavior
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. RE: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. RE: Strange car show behavior
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. RE: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

18. Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: Delorean Lower Crankcase
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. Re: High idle
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

22. RE: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Rebuilding the PRV
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

24. Roof trim replacement
From: "bigkidtoys1955" <bigkidtoys_at_dml_aol.com>

25. Re: remove shif knob (WOOHOO!)
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:33:02 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding the PRV

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> I'm in the process of repairing the damage I caused to my engine

during a

>> test run last month.  I'm in need of a crank-shaft pully for my

engine and

>> was wondering if anyone happened to have a spare one to sell.
>>
>> One more thing; what size piston rings does the PRV call for?  Can I
>> purchase them from a local parts store, i.e. AutoZone, NAPA, etc.

etc?  I've

>> searched the archives and came up empty.
>>
>> Thanks yall,
>> Lingo, #2034

Ask the store to run a search on their computer for the Volvo B28F
engine.  My local NAPA store does in fact have it listed. (I was
looking for an oil filter).  Try that and I'll bet they have rings for
it as well.  If not, or if they say they have to order them in, you
might as well just order a set yourself from one of the DeLorean vendors.

Richard

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:33:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Justin Lambright <jlambri4400_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: 2006 Car Show

Back in 2000, I happened to be in Ohio visiting family. I missed the car show by a couple of days. Now I found out that the 2006 car show will be in Illinois, I feel is great news. I live about 15 minutes from the Pheasent Run Resort. We actually had our company Christmas party there this past year. It's got nice digs. Good buffet. I am not a DeLorean owner. I just love the style and look of it. Especially because it was in my favorite movies. I love how they turned it into a time machine w/fire trails and everything. So, hopefully you don't have to be a Delorean car owner to enjoy the festivities. I just want to take a lot of pictures and such. I was in the yahoo dmc group a few years ago but got rid of my computer. Now I have a new one and I can finally email about my favorite automobile.

Regards,
Justin Lambright

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:45:46 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: Flushing Fuel lines

Charles:

Those with more experience may tell you what I did was unwise, but I had
great results.

First - I knew the tank had gas in it that had been sitting for 12
years.  I did not even think of turning the fuel pump on - I knew it was
a write off.

I mucked out the tank by hand using fuel injector cleaner and old rags -
there was about 1 inch of muck in the bottom.  I threw out the old pump
- it was coated in tar/scum.

I installed the new pump assembly and had it all ready to go.

I then bought a $12 low volume fuel pump at the auto parts store and got
a Rubbermaid tub, some fuel line, several cheapo paper filters with
clear housings, and fittings to extend my fuel lines a bit.

At the fuel distributor I took the feed line and the return line loose
and tied them together with a brass bolt and proper washers -
eliminating the fuel dist. and injection system from the rest of the
fuel system.

I then poured about a gallon of B12 into the Rubbermaid tub and used the
cheap fuel pump to flush the system, a cheapo fuel filter was installed
on the return.  I let this run for about an hour - periodically changing
the filters.  Then I replaced the B12 and ran it some more.  An hour
later I replaced the Delorean fuel filter, the B12 and ran it one more
time - this time there was only minor discoloration in the return fluid.

I then replaced the fuel lines with the new ones from my kit.  At this
point you must immediately flush the system with gasoline to remove the
B12 - as it can damage the fuel accumulator and perhaps the distributor.

I connected my pump. Put in fresh gas - reconnected the fuel lines at
the fuel distributor - and it started up very nicely.  I intend to
change the fuel filter again once I have about 10 hours on the engine
just in case.

Tom

# 10902

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:04:13 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior

I used gasoline to get some stubborn grease off of the front left
panel just a few weeks ago.  Stuff works great and doesn't harm the
stainless!  Give it a try, but be careful to no get it on any plastic,
rubber parts or the facia's

Mineral sprits works just as well.

Johnny
5518

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:17:29 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: remove shif knob

Rubber grommet to protect from scratches, and a pipe wrench will do
it. Yours has probably been setting there unmoved for 25 years, might
require some force.

They can be very stubborn if they have never been removed, or have
been extremely torqued down.

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:43:02 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: storage

Hi
I have purchased a number of glass display cases on e-bay recently for the 2006 show museum and since they were purchased near NY I had some members pick up some of the display cases but they are running out of room to store them.
I will be out in Oct for the Fall foliage tour and I will bring my trailer to pick them up at that point
Is there anyone that can help me out

thanks in advance

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:19:00 EDT
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Printed Car Show Material

In a message dated 7/26/2005 3:07:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:05:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Printed Car Show Material [was: ...(rude) car show behavior]

With that said might I suggest  this:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-Fact%20Sheet.htm

Michael  Babb had also offered a brochure on his site in the past but I can't
 seem
to find it now.
http://www.babbtechnology.com/

Shannon  Y
16506

I use Mike Babb's excellent tri-fold brochure all the time, and have a copy
of the PDF file to print it from here on a CD.  If anyone needs it and  still
can't find it posted publicly please feel free to contact me off list and  I
can e-mail you a copy of the file.

Dan Harris - VIN# 1662 - FL Tag# MY 81DMC

*****WhoCruiser_at_dml_aol.com is Dan  Harris*****
WhoCruiser's Personal Home Page: _http://members.aol.com/WhoCruiser_
(http://www.scificruise.com/)
Read  about The Sci-Fi Sea Cruise at: _http://www.scificruise.com_
(http://www.scificruise.com/)
Purr-use  The Cat House at: _http://members.aol.com/LookAtMyCatsPage_
(http://members.aol.com/LookAtMyCatsPage)

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:05:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Just a reminder that locking one door while the other is open should only be done if your lock module is disconnected!  (Unless you like a mess of jammed lock rods...)

Jake in 1063

Richard <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca> wrote:
<snip>
a handshake from the parents. Then I close and lock the driver door
again and wander off to check out the other cars at the show.

Richard

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:41:01 -0400
From: "rob" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: High idle

Derek,

It sounds like a bad idle ICU module. First make sure the idle regulator
valve is free and test continuity between the blk/ylw and blk/slate wires on
the ICU wire connector (The one towards the Pass. side). If it's an open
ciruit then the thermal switch or wire connection is at fault. If the
regulator, switch and wiring check out you're back to a bad ICU.

Rob Grady
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:12:33 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Flushing Fuel lines

I think what you did was fine - I do essentially the same process.

A handy way to close the loop for flushing the lines is to use the
old fuel pump along with that double banjo screw from the frequency
valve connection. Put it thru the feed and return connectors with the
right washers, thread it into the old pump, and voila - you have
closed the loop so that you can recycle the cleaning fluid/fuel
around the fuel injection system. Fuel cannot to backwards thru the
pump so it won't leak. It looks a bit strange since the pump just
lays on top of the fuel distributor.

Also - Acetone is the perfect solvent for cleaning out the tank.

Dave Swingle

--------

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:03:35 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Strange VB car show behavior

VB,

The next time you wonder why some people in the DeLorean community
do not see eye to eye with you, re-read this "stuff" you posted.

I'm sure the major vendors love to see "your opinion" about how you
think the DeLorean is unreliable and slow, in fact, the slowest car
on the road and your chances of breaking down or going up in flames
is highest in a DeLorean than most any other car you can think of.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that no other car clubs
respect the DeLorean and that British clubs hate it.  I guess this
must be from the "years" of displaying your DeLorean or maybe this
is just how some car clubs or British clubs think in Texas.

I'm sure your conclusion "the PRV sucks" has equal merit behind it
due to your extensive research.  I guess DMCH should stop building
the high performance version of the PRV, since they must already
know the PRV sucks and just start stuffing V8's into DeLoreans.

As much as I hate to hear "the guy on the street" at car shows
providing mis-information about the DeLorean, the PRV, etc., it
is even more disturbing to think a DeLorean owner is displaying
his car and providing these type of opinions to car show patrons.

As demonstrated in past posts, VB is the more than eager to tell
everyone about his achievements and all of his "good points", so
why would the same person focus on "your bad points" of a DeLorean
based upon stigmas, here-say and myths on reliability and "baggage".

If you do not think your "opinions" have a negative impact on the
Delorean community / vendors, then feel free to call your "buddy"
Rob Grady to ask him question(s) about DeLorean stock certificates.
This post is not intended as a flame, just a dose of reality.

>> snip <
>>
>> So far the consensus is that the car is a novelty to see

and "cool", but in

>> a nerdy way.
>> The car holds zero respect with Hot-Rodders other than an

appreciation for

>> it's
>> unique looks and rare appearance....but the words "It's a shame"

and "what a

>> waste"
>> and such are used when ever they look at the engine.
>> The car is stuck with the stigma of being unreliable and slow.
>> So far there is not much that can be done to disprove

this..because

>> unfortunately
>> it's true. It's the slowest car on the road and your chances of

breaking

>> down or going
>> up in flames is highest in a DeLorean than most any other car I

can think

>> of.
>> All that said, everyone still loves to look at it, take pictures

of it and

>> pose next to it.
>>
>> However, none of the other car clubs respect it.
>> The British clubs hate it, the Italian clubs will not allow it in

the shows

>> either.
>> It's a weird bastard car, the red headed step child.
>> Lucky for me I am too.... so we are a match.
>> Regardless of what others think about it, I like the car and I am

willing to

>> deal
>> with it's problems and the baggage that comes with it.
>> It's all part of the package.
>>
>> snip <
>>
>> I think that if the DeLorean is going to have longevity as a

classic car on

>> the road
>> that more and more people should just strip them of all the OEM

electrical

>> system and drivetrain
>> and convert them to other engines, transmissions, etc.
>> I know this is blasphemy to the purists, but there are plenty of

museum

>> quality
>> DeLoreans out there for display.
>> The best thing for the image of this car is to see more of them

driving

>> reliably down
>> the road....screaming with V8's, Northstar's, whatever.
>> The PRV just sucks, we all know it....so let's stop tap dancing

around it.

>> It might be fairly reliable, but so is my lawnmower.
>>
>> snip <
>>
>> I know I will get flamed for this...but it's just one dudes

opinion.

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:18:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Bob,

Speak for your own DeLorean, not mine.  I drive my car all over the place and never worry about fires or PRV reliability at all.  If the work is done correctly (prevention), there's not much to worry about.

Oh, and if you want to race Hyundais (something I consider not worth the dust from my clutch), tune your engine correctly and buy a freakin' 5-speed.  I can't believe all the complaining you do about how slow the car is, when you're driving a long-legged 3 speed automatic!

PS.  Back to the Future mods also add a lot of weight.

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 --> Just fine, thanks.

Videobob Moseley <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
The PRV just sucks, we all know it....so let's stop tap dancing around it.
It might be fairly reliable, but so is my lawnmower.
I want the power to at least beat a Hyundia!
If they had put a decent engine in the car we would have a different
history.
If I had my way I would stuff that 5.7 HEMI that I have in my Magnum in that
sucker.
Can you imagine that? With a 5 speed auto-stick?
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick - that would rock!

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:56:44 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

The tri-fold is still in the "files" section of the yahoo site. I'll
try an remember to file it somewhere on DMCNEWS.COM next time I do an
update.

Dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, whocruiser_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> Message:  7
>> Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005  11:05:17 -0700 (PDT)
>> From: Shannon Yocom  <ssdelorean_at_dml_y...>
>> Subject: Printed Car Show Material  [was:  ...(rude) car show

behavior]

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:17:18 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Strange VB car show behavior

Just FYI, the local Pantera club here in AZ are practically partners
with our club (the AZ-D).  In fact, we just did an indoor cart racing
event with them a few weeks ago.

We also are on the local Mini Cooper Club mailing list and are invited
to their British Car Show annually.  They have us out for their
cruises, breakfasts and get-togethers whenever they go out.

The DeLorean is hardly a "bastard" in Arizona.

Johnny
5518

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:09:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

That's the thing with De Loreans.  You either love them and are willing to forgive thier imperfections; or you think of them merely as a novelty; or you hate them.  I would venture to say that most of us here at dmcnews are among the first group.  I do agree with you, however, that while it is good to leave some museum quality De Loreans stock, it would sure be a lot more fun to shove something like an LS1 Corvette engine in one.  I have heard something about DMC in Texas making a turbo engine for De Loreans.  Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Videobob Moseley <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:The reason people want to touch our cars is because they want to see if it
is really raw metal.
The concept is foreign to them, they assume that it would rust.
Some don't believe it is a real DeLorean and think that it is a fiberglass
replica painted in silver.
This is why they want to feel the metal, and sometime knock on it.
I had one asshole tapping on the fender with his key to hear it "ring".....
I thought I would behead him like a Jihad video!

I show my car a lot, several times a month so I have gained some experience
doing this.
I have since learned that it is more fun to dress incognito (no BTTF or
DeLorean shirt)
and stand back a few feet and pretend to be another spectator (I will even
take
pictures and make comments) ....then you can see and hear what people REALLY
think
and say about the car when they think the owner is not around.

[...]

I think it is all this baggage that keeps so many of these cars stuck in the
garage
under a cover.
I was surprised to learn that there are about the same amount of Pantera's
as there
are DeLoreans except I see lots of Pantera's at shows and out and about.
What does this mean?
The DeTomesa Pantera is one bad ass hot rod car, and even though it is just
as rare
as the DeLorean people want to get them out and drive them.
I think that if the DeLorean is going to have longevity as a classic car on
the road
that more and more people should just strip them of all the OEM electrical
system and drivetrain
and convert them to other engines, transmissions, etc.
I know this is blasphemy to the purists, but there are plenty of museum
quality
DeLoreans out there for display.
The best thing for the image of this car is to see more of them driving
reliably down
the road....screaming with V8's, Northstar's, whatever.
The PRV just sucks, we all know it....so let's stop tap dancing around it.
It might be fairly reliable, but so is my lawnmower.
I want the power to at least beat a Hyundia!
If they had put a decent engine in the car we would have a different
history.
If I had my way I would stuff that 5.7 HEMI that I have in my Magnum in that
sucker.
Can you imagine that? With a 5 speed auto-stick?
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick - that would rock!

I know I will get flamed for this...but it's just one dudes opinion.
What do I know anyway?
-VB

>>From: "coreysmoo"
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: [DML] Re: Question and strange car show behavior
>>Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:43:30 -0000
>>
>>At shows, I usually just buckle the seatbelts over the seats. I'm
>>only guessing that this is a solution because I have never really
>>had any problems with people trying to sneak a sit in my car. The
>>only times people sit in it is if they ask me if they can for a
>>picture or whatever. If they ask, I usually do not mind. But, the
>>seatbelt thing seems to work fine for me without having to buy
>>anything extra or fancy. The only problems I have is people
>>touching my car. No one usually touches cars at car shows... But
>>there is something about the DeLorean that makes people need to
>>touch it. What's up with that?
>>Corey
>>2423

[incredibly long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:27:43 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Strange car show behavior

Your car draws a little more attention than most oliver!
I will get a chance to know what it's like when MY time machine is finished!
- VB

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:48:31 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

100,000 plus miles on mine and not one break down.  Plenty fast if it
cruises past the speedometer, leaves rubber if I decide to have a little
fun.

No it does not have a big V8, however, it is faster than most cars I
have driven.

No disrespect to you Bob, just respect to the DeLorean!

Jack
20069, 10002

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:32:32 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

DEGREASER.
You can use some plain old DAWN soap, or SIMPLE GREEN works pretty good.
Just try to keep the degreaser off the rubber, plastic and tires.
If you do, it will suck the black out and make them gray and ashy.
To fix this get some TRIM & SHINE and spray it on.
- VB

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:25:39 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Delorean Lower Crankcase

brandelorean wrote:

>>It should make things alot easier to load into the stock engine mounts
>>unless anyone else has a different solution?

If you're rebuilding the engine, it's a lot easier to just put the
proper crank case on. They're not a fortune from DMCH. (note to self,
price up one from Renault - that'll be funny. I priced up a Distributor
cap and it was over 70!!!)

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:14:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Sounds like the idle speed thermister - my car did the
same thing.  That's a worse case scenario though -
I'll let others give other suggestions before I tell
you how to "jump" the ECU and bypass the thermister so
you don't have to tear your engine apart.

Jeremiah

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:37:14 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Gentlemen, gentlemen.... Let's not get overly excited about one fellows
opinion, after all it is an opinion.  I do not agree with it, but he can  speak
his mind.  I  recently had some work done on my Delorean that  included removing
the standard air intake and putting the cold air intake in its  place.  I
also added a performance muffler, less the Catalytic Convertor,  along with
eibach performance springs and struts.  The car screams  speed.  Yes, it has a
turbo (single- BAE that was put on the car in  1984) and it moves with a smooth 5
speed.  I also own a 77 Datsun  280Z  that moves out very well but I'll take
the Delorean any day.
    I have purchased items from various vendors and  find that all are
reputable and great to deal with. All are very knowledgeable  and eager to share
that knowledge. Let opinions be heard.

Roy  #0893

PS: Still no magazines

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:38:23 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

You know, I mis-spoke.
I should not have said "unreliable".
Despite all the goofy problems we all have, the engine will usually fire up
and go...
providing that you don't have a fuel pump problem, hot start problem, cold
start problem, etc...
If none of those problems are present and the car starts you might have to
deal with
high idle, computer burn out, or an electrical short in your lights that
might set the dash
on fire. If all of that is OK and you have made sure to replace your fuels
system,
brake system and all the hoses your car should be pretty safe.
If you have an auto like mine....maybe it will go into 3rd today?
If everything is running ok, hopefully you won't have any trouble getting in
or out
of your car as long as your door lock solenoids are working OK.
If your AC fan stops blowing, I hope you can roll your windows down because
most people can't.

Sure, the PRV and the DeLorean is a pretty good and reliable car as long as
you
pretty much restore and replace about everything on the car.
Of course, a 20+ year old car needs work... but the problems I mentioned
were present as the cars rolled off the line.
It is these problems that keep our happy vendors in business.
If you don't have most of what Grady or Hervey sells then chances are
you don't own a daily driver.
If our cars were so perfect, we wouldn't need this forum now would we?

- VB

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:35:44 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Here ya go (from my Renault manual)

http://www.delorean.co.uk/rings.jpg

In this table, the 2849cc engine is a Z7W - and it has 91mm ID liners

For those curious about turbo PRVs, the Z7U is a Renault 25 Turbo, and
the Z7W (at the time of publication) was the Alpine A610 - note
increased ring size and tougher gudgeon pin on the Z7X

Martin

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:01:02 -0000
From: "bigkidtoys1955" <bigkidtoys_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Roof trim replacement

Has anyone ever replaced the door and roof liners.... How hard was
it??? Is there a better approach to use??? step by step instructions???
I need to learn it soon ... just ordered a complete set for my D...

Thanks
Scott 4091

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:58:05 -0400
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>
Subject: Re: remove shif knob (WOOHOO!)

Ryan - you were right on. I knew that nut was there but for some reason I
was not thinking it was tightened against the knob's nut (careful, I am
talking about the car now!). With a 13mm wrench on that nut, and a pipe
wrench on the knob (thanks Rob) I was able to get it off.

On the threads and inside the knob there were the remnants of some kind of
contact cement. It looks like the prev owner had tried to make sure it would
not come off.

Thanks everyone for all the replies

Mike Walsh