Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2765
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:27 Jul 2005 21:46:41 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Delorean is reliable for those that know what they are doing.
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Brake question
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

3. RE: Musty odor
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. RE: Printed Car Show Material
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: High idle
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

6. Re: MONSTER GARAGE SUCKS!!!!!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: MONSTER GARAGE SUCKS!!!!!
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

8. DeLorean Values.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Musty odor
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Brake question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Build up on valves "while in there"
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Interior Lights
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

13. Re: Strange VB car show behavior
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

14. Re: Delorean is reliable for those that know what they are doing.
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: MONSTER GARAGE SUCKS!!!!!
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Re: YEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

18. Re: Musty odor
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. rack & pinion
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

20. Re: High idle
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

21. RE: D for sale in MA (attn Jay Sisto!)
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

22. American/British/Irish/whatever
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

23. Re: Brake question
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

24. RE: High idle
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

25. RE: MONSTER GARAGE SUCKS!!!!!
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:08:21 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Delorean is reliable for those that know what they are doing.

Hey Ken, please don't put too many miles on that car. I don't want to win a
high mileage beater!
Also, please don't eat or drink in that car. I don't want any stains.   ;)

Thanks,
Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:05:52 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Brake question

First of all, there's nothing particularly confusing or mysterious about
Delorean brakes.  They're vacuum boosted hydraulic disc brakes with
two-piston calipers in all four corners.  The master cylinder does the
front-to-rear proportioning.  Any shop that looks confused surely is.
Leave straightaway.
That said, your problem is most likely the master cylinder.  If the
pedal is over-hard, the vacuum servo or the vacuum feed to the servo
could be faulty.  We carry our own newly-made brake master that features
correct 62/38 proportioning and a cool cast-in DMC logo.  Part number
105543, $124.95.  Easy installation. Here's a pic:

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=1377&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren at DMC

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:16:38 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Musty odor

If the car was as moldy as you describe, then there may also be mold INSIDE
the AC/heater ducts. To get that you can use some of the AC disinfectant
sprays available at auto parts stores.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:17:13 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Printed Car Show Material

It is in the files section:

Look for the "Car Show Trifold" link - and if anyone sees anything that
needs to be changed or updated on it please let me know.

Michael

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:25:00 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: High idle

I unplugged the idle motor as videobob mentioned, and the car dropped from 1800-2000
rpms to 1200-1400. The idle motor does not make a whirring sound when the key is in
the 'on' position with the engine off. Does this prove that the idle motor is the cause of my
problems, or could it be something electrical not powering the motor properly?

Thanks,
-Derek

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:39:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: MONSTER GARAGE SUCKS!!!!!

I can tell you what they were thinking in ONE WORD  RATINGS!!!!!!!
With high ratings they can get sponsors and charge high rates. You
watched it, didn't you? Well, so did A LOT of other people. Try not to
forget this is pure entertainment and these types of shows are always
looking for a way to go "over the top". Like a famous person once said
(paraphrased) "I never care what is said about me as long as they
spell my name right!". In other words there is no such thing as bad
publicity.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "logiclymydearwatson"
<logiclymydearwatson_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> I watched with absolute horror as TWO Deloreans were butchered by

that tattooed meth-

>> scooter freak Jesse Bullock. Who in their right mind would let that

foul mouthed ex-con

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:42:22 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Hello,

In answer to your question: Original Productions, the owner of the
donated car and underbody, allowed the car, singular, to be
butchered.  But it should be said that the car was not "perfectly
good".  Though some effort was made to make the car look good, it was
in sad shape.

All that was lost to the collective world-wide Delorean inventory of
parts were two underbodies, and a car's worth of smacked up body
panels.  A small price to pay for the publicity the show generated.

Though I wish the project had succeeded, the show exposed a new
generation to the Delorean, so it can't be considered a total loss.
It was an honor to have been invited onto the show.

Who are you?  I don't recognize your name.  Are you new to the list?

Rick.

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:45:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean Values.

I'm trying to be a "good boy", but someone has to come
along and push my button!   :)

And simply by it being said, you devalue all of us who
have modified DeLoreans.

So, let me state my opinion (again).

You would have to be INSANE to drive a "concours" car.
 25 year old tires, poorly engineered electronics?  No
thanks.

The higher prices of Concours cars are due to the
owners of them demanding more money for them, and the
ongoing statements from members of the community that
(for some reason) these cars are worth more money.

As I watch everyone beat Video Bob up over his off the
wall comments, This statement below is no better..
Why would you want to hurt the value of a well
maintained DeLorean that has been modified?   Let the
market determine the price.

"ultimate hack", how awful to make a statement like
that.  Sure, I have seen some modified DeLoreans that
should be put out of their misery.... and others that
I would gladly pay a premium over "concours" for.

Rich W, did you know all of your modified DeLoreans
were the "ultimate hack"??  THAT's why you are in so
many parades and shows..  <sarcastic, of course>

If someone wants an expensive car to win a trophy from
a self-appointed authority, then go buy yourself a
Concours car..   If someone wants to drive, then look
for a well maintained "modified" car.  New owners CAN
judge, and should do so with their own criteria.

<SNIP>

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I had good luck cleaning the interior carpet parts
with a 5 gallon bucket of HOT water mixed with one of
the Oxy cleaners.

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:50:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Make sure the brake fluid is not dark and thick. Make sure BOTH front
and rear systems are working. Thorouly bleed the brakes. If that
doesn't fix it then either the master cylinder is bad OR you may have
to adjust the pushrod from the booster. It may need to be lengthened
1/2 to 1 turn longer. The brakes on a Delorean are not so foreign that
a good brake shop should be able to work on them. They may have a
problem locating parts so just tell them where they can order from a
"D" vendor. Be sure that they know to use Castrol GTLMA DOT 4 brake
fluid. You can also have the shop talk directly with a vendor for any
info they might require. Changing the master cylinder will only
require the master cylinder itself and brake fluid. To adjust the
pushrod you only have to remove the 2 nuts holding it to the booster
and with the lines connected you can move it out of the way enough to
adjust the pushrod. Do not adjust it much, a little goes a long way! I
would give it just 1/2 turn longer and try it. I would also flush the
clutch. This should be done every 2 years.

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:53:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Build up on valves "while in there"

If the valves are only dirty leave them alone. If you can see chunks
of carbon then, with the motor running, pour Engine Top Cleaner into
the intake with the motor running. Follow the directions. You can get
this stuff at any large auto parts store.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> I am in the valley of death and can see the valve tops, man they

look bad

>> for a car with 800 miles. I have had fuel problems before and

remember lots

>> of spitting and black smoke before the fix. Can I de-carb these

puppies? I

>> am doing the water return pipe, but what else should I do? Was

running with

>> slight miss which started all this: Tune up, filter, injector

cleaning, and

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:07:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Interior Lights

Gentlemen I need your help. Electronics are not my strong suit but I want to finally look at why my interior lights don't work as they should.

Symtoms:
With both lights (Front and Package tray) set to come on with the doors:
The Front light will come on and stay on until the door is closed (No Delay).
The rear light does not light at all.

However, if you reach back and turn the rear light to "steady" on and then turn it to work with the doors it will stay on until you close the doors but it will delay before going out.

The bulbs are good, the contacts are all clean.
It seems to me that the problem is with the delay relay.
If this is the case where can I find it and can I simply remove it?

Thanks.

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:41:46 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Strange VB car show behavior

VB,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Internet is PUBLIC.
Anyone can read DML postings (without being a forum member)
via the Yahoo groups web interface or using the archive list
webpage at the Project Vixen website, so I would call it public.

As for the Grand National engine project, I will have to check
with Geoff (previous owner) why he decided to go that route,
but I decided to buy the project in progress to see it finished
and to see how well a Turbo V6 engine swap car could perform.

I like the "flip flop" from the PRV sucks, is unreliable and slow
to your latest statement, the PRV is fairly reliable but it has
lots of problems.  Then, later, the PRV itself is a good engine.
If your opinion changes each post, what is the value of posting it.

I think DMCH's motivation for selling their high performance PRV
is to keep the PRV heritage with the DeLorean.  DMCH still sells
the stock PRV to customers as well, so I do not think their major
motivation for the High HP PRV is to decrease their PRV stock.

Please explain why reliability is nothing without HP and Torque?

I am guessing you meant to say reliability is not worth discussing
unless you are talking about substantial HP and Torque (like a V8)
but then again, apparently I am mis-understanding a lot of things
you post in your opinions.

My posts are only in response to your "opinions" on the DeLorean,
so if your posts bring down the DeLorean, I will be defensive.

Sorry, I do not see how your recent posts about DeLorean and PRV
reliability and lack of HP could be seen as "best intentions".

>> Rich, I have never bashed the DeLorean in public, or to a non-owner.
>> The discussion we have here is for our ears only.
>>
>> The PRV itself is fairly reliable, but has a lot of problems
>>
>> snip <
>>
>> Do you have something against changing engines?
>> Maybe you would care to explain what the reason for pulling a PRV

and

>> stuffing in
>> a Grand National was Rich?
>>
>> snip <
>>
>> So don't get so defensive!
>>
>> When it comes to DMCH wanting to sell engines, their motivation

might

>> possibly be that
>> they have a 30 foot tall stack of them that is 30 feet deep.
>> They want to sell engines at $6000+ per pop.
>> I would say that is some good motivation.
>>
>> All in all, the PRV itself is a good engine if you have it properly
>> maintained and
>> upgraded, however reliability means nothing without horsepower and

torque.

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:52:08 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

DeLoreans are much more reliable than BMW's & Porsches...and I speak  from
experience. My daily driver 1981 automatic Delorean was much more reliable  than
my 2001 BMW 740iL.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack
Maryland

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:02:04 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Question and strange car show behavior

[MODERATOR NOTE: EVEN IF THIS IS DELOREAN RELATED, I WILL NOT ALLOW A LENGTHY DISCUSSION COMPARING THE DELOREAN TO EVERY CAR EVER BUILT.  EVERYONE LOVES TO EXPRESS THEIR OPINION, BUT NOT EVERYONE WANT TO READ IT. THIS THREAD WILL BE CUT OFF SOON.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

What "Ford" are you referring to?
I have owned 4 Taurus's over the years, a 87, 92, 94 & 98 and never has a
single problem
from any of them, and replaced them at about 125K-185K, and simply for the
reason
that I wanted a new car. There was almost no wear on the car at all.
...although my Mom had a '85 F150 and it was a real crapper.
Now many people will say, "hey, you can't compare a newer modern car with
the
DeLorean, there is different technology" - EXACTLY.
Why not bring the car into this millinium?
By replaceing the engine, transmission and electrical system you would have
car that would keep up with today's cars.
It would be fast and powerfull, much more so than the PRV.
I am not suggesting that everyone do this....it's just an idea.

I don't mind a thoughtful rebuttal, every car will have mechanical problems.
The problems I mentioned are relevant on most every DMC out there.
If these problems haven't presented themselves yet,they will.
The only way to have a reliable daily driver (in my opinion) is to replace
all
of the troubled items on the car - we all know what they are.

I admit, the source of most of these problems is letting the car sit and
rot.
Why would that happen?
...usually the car get's parked due to some quirky problem that never get's
fixed
and it sits there until it's ruined and more stuff needs replacing.

To get more to the point, the real point of my comments were not so much
about
reliability, but about lack of horse power.
Would you like to compare various vehicles with more or less horse power?
Exactly what will that prove and how will it make my car go faster?

There is a big difference between bashing the car and talking about
improvements
and known issues. Being argumentitive and defensive about the car isn't
going to solve anything.

- VB

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:05:17 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: YEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

On 7/26/05, Richard <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca> wrote:

>> Polish up your vocabulary of swear-words for when you have to get at
>> the many almost-impossible-to-reach parts and broken/stripped/seized
>> nuts and bolts etc.  Or, make sure you have LOT's of patience.

And for the seized parts, a good penetrating oil, like PB Blaster...
it's made a huge difference since I started using it instead of a
do-everything-okay solution like WD-40.  Saved me from having to
replace my evaporator core ($400 part + many hours of unfun labor)
 :-)

--Greg

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:10:19 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hey Byron,

I'd check with DMCH again on those carpets as I recently talked with
James and he said that they have new carpet to replace any carpeting
in the D.  I was recently asking him about re-dying the carpets and
I can't seem to find anyone who has done this.  Anyone out there???
I figure I might replace my floor carpets as they stink as well from
the car sitting outside too long.

If that doesn't work, I know some people have replaced the padding
which you should be able to pickup from Lowe's or somewhere.  Then
just wet-vac the carpets and spray lots of Febreeze? lol.

Anyways, let me know what happens if you try to clean them as I will
have to do the same sometime in the near future.

Thanks,

Brandon
Vin 3323

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:22:36 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: rack & pinion

Can someone tell me where to fill the rack and pinion, how much oil
and what kind of oil? Thanks guys -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:44:22 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

My car had this "creeping idle" last year, but it has apparently stopped
by itself (!!?!).  However, I did notice that running the A/C was enough
of a load to drag the 2000 RPM idle back down to normal.  There is a
collection of historical advice on this subject at the DMCNEWS web page:

   http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/idlespeed.html

All of this has happened before; all of this will happen again.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:51:52 -0400
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: RE: D for sale in MA (attn Jay Sisto!)

I live in Massachusetts so if anyone is interested, I can take a look at the car for you.  Just let me know and contact me directly.  I will be speaking with the owner tonight to get more info. on it as well.  (BTW, if the owner is on this list, please give everyone more details about the car.)

Thanks,

Jason

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:46:44 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: American/British/Irish/whatever

There's an annual "British Car Day" at a local park, and they gladly
welcome our DMCs.  In fact, I've never been to a car show where the
general public was so well informed about the DeLorean and it's history.
For instance, almost everyone I spoke with knew that the DMC was made in
Ireland.  These were true auto enthusiasts and I didn't get any "is the
cocaine in the flux capacitor" crap.  There are plenty of misinformed
people at car shows, but most will listen and usually 1 or 2 will walk
away wanting to buy a DMC!

BTW, try telling people that you own an "Irish Sports Car", it will blow
their minds trying to figure it out.  Most people just tilt their heads
like "Nipper" and go "huh?".

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

>> ...We also are on the local Mini Cooper Club mailing list and are

invited

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:48:25 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

Byron, try this:  First, get a large handful of paper towels and stuff
them under the master cylinder.  Remove the hard lines attached to the
master cylinder and plug the two holes with your thumbs.  Get a buddy
to sit in the driver seat and have him/her SLOWLY press the brake
pedal in to the floor.

You will feel the piston push pressure thru the master cylinder.  Have
your partner do it about three times.  By the third time, he/she
should not be able to push the pedal hardly at all.  You'll need to
kinda lean into it with your thumbs or you will have brake fluid
everywhere.

This will remove any air trapped in the cylinder and un-stick the
piston.  You should also check the color of the fluid.  If it's amber,
it's time to flush it out.

I don't know if you have tried bleeding your brakes yet or, (if
anything), you have done to your brakes, but this proceedure can help
determine if your master cylinder is shot.

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:45:48 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

I want to add a problem we had with a friends car here in NC when we were
trying to figure out his high idle problem after a rebuild of everything
from the Manifold up.  We replaced all vacuum lines as well as the Thermal
Vacuum Switch under the intake.  I decided to try something and unplugged
the line going into the Ignition Distributor.

Voila!

Vacuum at Idle.  As you all know there is supposed to be no vacuum at idle
because the Microswitch shuts off the Vacuum Solenoid till you press the gas
and open the switch providing ground for the Solenoid.

This was the problem and the Vacuum Solenoid was the culprit in conjunction
with the Microswitch.  Once both units were swapped out the car ran fine.

I suggest also checking the above out as well as the suggestion by Video Bob
and of course check for vacuum leaks.

Jeff in NC

>>From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: RE: [DML] High idle
>>Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:14:49 -0500
>>
>>We have been discussing this recently, but it has always been an issue.
>>I have had my car looked at by people and no one figured it out.
>>Recently I found my problem with the help of someone on this list (Elvis).
>>It was the "idle speed motor".
>>This is a small cylinder on the top, left, rear of the engine with a wire
>>harness
>>plugged into the top.
>>When you turn the key to the full on position (without starting)
>>you should hear it whirring.
>>This is controlled by the idle ICU computer that is behind the drivers seat
>>under the shelf.
>>Everyone wants to blame this for the problem but I am betting that the
>>25 year old electric motor sitting on top of a 200+ degree engine is
>>usually
>>problem!
>>
>>Crank the car up, and fiddle with the wire harness on top of the motor,
>>better yet, unplug  it and see what happens.
>>I have found that my car idles and runs just fine when I just leave it
>>UNPLUGGED.
>>When I plug it in, the idle jumps up to 1500-2000.
>>
>>Try it and see what happens.
>>If that's not it it could be the computer, or a leak.
>>- VB

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:54:06 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Believe me we all watched in horror as 1 whole car was chopped up and
another complete pontoon was ultimately crushed by Jesse.  I believe it was
all in good fun and it was nice to see the car on TV after so long.  I
didn't agree with the way the MG producers portrayed the car or the team
(the DeLorean Drill Team Clip) but hey, it's TV.  I actually had the chance
to speak with one of the guys on the episode and I believe he told me that
right before they started filming that Jesse got some bad news (divorce or
something) so he was in a foul mood but cleaned up by mid week.

I still cringe watching the hovercraft get run over but hey, it's just the
way that JJ does business, if it don't work destroy it.  Still, I wish they
hadn't lost the guy that Jesse kicked off otherwise, with an extra hand, the
bags underneath might have been more thoroughly checked.

Jeff in NC

P.S. "Jesse Bullock" LOL  That's a good one!