Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2767
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:28 Jul 2005 13:31:56 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: rack & pinion
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

2. DeLorean Mechanic in Charlotte NC Area
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

3. Grease
From: "Josh Krady" <josh_at_dml_joshandjessica.com>

4. re: Keeping Things In Perspective
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

5. Re: Keys
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

6. Re: Keys
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

7. RE: Installing moving glass in drivers door - How To
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

8. RE: American/British/Irish/whatever
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. RE: Re: MONSTER GARAGE SUCKS!!!!!
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. RE: Modified DeLoreans
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. RE: Keys
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. RE: Any Delorean activties planned in So Cal this summer??
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

13. Re: Door roof seal dimensions
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. RE: Odd Starting Issue
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. Re: Any Delorean activties planned in So Cal this summer??
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. RE: Odd Starting Issue
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

17. RE: Re: Idle Speed Motor / Cooling
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Re: Delorean is reliable for those that know what they are doing.
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Musty odor
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

20. RE: Brake question
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

21. Help w/horn - wiring inside steering column?
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

22. RE: Build up on valves "while in there"
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. Re: High idle
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

24. Re: Keys
From: "Manny Sajiun" <mannyone_at_dml_optonline.net>

25. Re: Re: MONSTER GARAGE SUCKS!!!!!
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:02:19 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: rack & pinion

See the Service Manual H:07:01

5-6 oz of GL-5 90 (75w-90). Fill from left side (driver side).

Synthetic is best in my opinion.

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:01:24 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: DeLorean Mechanic in Charlotte NC Area

Hi all,

For those that don't know me my name is Jeff.  I recently had to part with
my 81 DeLorean Vin 5945 for various reasons but over the three years of
owning the car I did a 60% teardown and rebuild of various systems and
cosmetic areas.  I feel that I've become a quite compitent mechanic as I
worked closely on my car, Louie Goldens, Andy Grums and I helped Eric
Campbell select his BAE Turbo DeLorean earlier in the year.  That one was
quite a find.

I regret that I never participated in the DML until recently but now that I
am parting with my car (it'll be picked up end of this month) I want to get
even MORE active in the community to stay close to this wonderful
automobile.

I want to just get my name out there and for those that monitored Tamir's
DeLorean site you've seen the quality of my work and are probably familiar
with me.

I also recently designed and commissioned the build of a Carb Intake
Manifold (you may have seen it on eBay...so that was me.)

I've been helping owners with tech help in various mediums and service (Did
lots of adjustments to cars at a few local gatherings) and I want to
continue doing this kind of work while I attempt to further my education in
a few other courses of study.

I'd like to formally offer my services to perform maintenance and upgrades
to anyone who would find my location in the Carolinas convenient but I am
also willing to TRAVEL to perform service.  I offer great rates and will
work out a cost for travel depending on the location.  I also have a nice
storage facility close buy and can house cars in units large enough for me
to service them indoors so they won't be exposed to the elements if you
leave the car with me.  I also put everything in writting signed and
notarized (upon request) and I warranty any work I perform (also in writting
upon request.)

I'm not sure if Andy or Eric post here but I'm sure many of you know Louie
Golden so feel free to ask him about my areas of service that I've done on
his car.  I also know Mark V very well if anyone knows him as well as
Jeremiah Montee (I hope I spelled that right Jeremiah)  :)

I think I covered all the bases.  I hate letting go of my dream car but that
doesn't mean the dream has to go along with it.  I look forward to hearing
from any interested owners and my telephone is (704) 701 - 2870.  It's a
mobile number and I don't always have good reception so please leave a
message as I return calls as soon as I receive them.

Jeff in NC

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:08:06 -0400
From: "Josh Krady" <josh_at_dml_joshandjessica.com>
Subject: Grease

What kind of grease should I use on parts on the delorean, I was told your
not really supposed to just change grease's your supposed to stick with the
same. What kind of grease was it originally.

Josh

-------------------------------------

Josh Krady

www.gamestartonline.com

--------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:11:05 -0400
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: re: Keeping Things In Perspective

Yes, but consider the weight of many of those versus the D....I hate to play Devil's Advocate...the Europa went like a bat out of you-know-where because it weghed very little and was so darn small...mmm I've always wanted one!

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:30:25 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Keys

Take your original key along with the two blanks to any place that cuts
keys and they will cut them for you for a small fee.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:16:52 -0400
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

For a first post that is a very strange question. Are you saying you don't
actually have the keys to copy, so you would like advice on were the key
code is? In order to make keys from blanks and get into a car you don't have
keys for?

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:31:48 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Installing moving glass in drivers door - How To

Since nobody said anything I made a procedure up.

Warren in Houston said to bend the tip of the track a bit with pliers to get
it to line up better, then cuss a lot - this may have helped a little but I
was still pretty jammed up.

There are tabs on the nylon sliders that the metal tracks have to pass
through - they are rectangular in profile and the end of the track was just
jamming into them - despite a lot of coercion.

I took a standard screwdriver and the glass assembly into the kitchen and
heated the screwdriver in a flame on the stove.  I then carefully melted the
nylon tabs a bit so that they had a ramped edge rather than a square one.  I
only messed with the lower corner of the tabs - leaving as much of the
profile intact as I could so the tabs would still capture the glass nicely
once engaged.

This helped dramatically - only minor coercion required this time.

Tom

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:54:10 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: American/British/Irish/whatever

"they" love our cars?

Let's all try a science experiment.
Next car show, set up a video or audio recrding device at the rear of the
car,
hidden and out of site. Have the engine bay open with specs about the engine
clearly posted...then go hide and listen to the recording and see what
people are
saying about the engine while looking at it.
Let's postpone this discussion until there is some scientific research in
the field
to base theory on.
- VB

>>From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: [DML] American/British/Irish/whatever
>>Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:46:44 -0500
>>
>>There's an annual "British Car Day" at a local park, and they gladly
>>welcome our DMCs.  In fact, I've never been to a car show where the
>>general public was so well informed about the DeLorean and it's history.
>>For instance, almost everyone I spoke with knew that the DMC was made in
>>Ireland.  These were true auto enthusiasts and I didn't get any "is the
>>cocaine in the flux capacitor" crap.  There are plenty of misinformed
>>people at car shows, but most will listen and usually 1 or 2 will walk
>>away wanting to buy a DMC!
>>
>>BTW, try telling people that you own an "Irish Sports Car", it will blow
>>their minds trying to figure it out.  Most people just tilt their heads
>>like "Nipper" and go "huh?".
>>

>>Gus Schlachter
>>VIN #4695
>>Austin, Texas

>>invited

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:01:36 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: MONSTER GARAGE SUCKS!!!!!

I am betting if these guys were pulling up in something like,...Pantera's or
something like that
statement might not have been made.
Why do you think he said that?
This is precisely my point.
People think that DeLorean's are "cool" the same way Star Wars is cool.
Yeah, it's neat - but in a nerdy way.
It's like meeting Urckle in the mall....exiting but goofy.
This is the public perception that I am complaining about.

Don't confuse these statements to be MY opinion as many of you have been
doing throughout this disscusion.

What I meant when I said that the PRV is underpowered, and that people don't
respect the car is summed up by the attitude of this TV show we are all
bitching about.

If Jesse was playing with Kyle Franklin's car, or one of the other modified
cars I am betting
he would not have been making fun of it when he saw the tires light up.
He didn't make fun of the Magnum station wagon when they had it in the shop.
Since when do people think station wagons are cool?
They become cool when you put a 6.1L HEMI with 425HP in them.
When a station wagon does 0-60 in 6 seconds....it's cool.

Same goes for our cars.
That all I was saying.
- VB

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:10:06 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Modified DeLoreans

>From what I have seen, people how have concourse cars don't drive them.
They keep them as projects and show cars.
They have another car to drive and tinker with.
I plan to own 3 DeLoreans in my lifetime, my time machine, a perfect
concourse car,
and one that is insane....modern interior and engine - that one I will
drive!
All in good time......
- VB

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:12:06 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

You can by replica keys from DMCH at http://www.delorean.com and any
locksmith should be able to copy your originals.
If you have a car without keys, you can have a locksmith make them for you
using the lock tumblers, and I think that DMCH may have a solution....
- VB

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:37:03 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Any Delorean activties planned in So Cal this summer??

There are two screenings in the area of Back To The Future next month -
check the posts on this site from a week or two back.

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:38:57 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Door roof seal dimensions

When I designed the seals that Rob is talking about we had to keep in mind
the varying thicknesses and the curve in the rubber
This is a part that the tooling costs will never be recovered and needed is
a left and right die and a left and right cutting die. So 4 tools were  needed.
The I think $35 price tag for the material is far less than  you will  spend
making your own and if you use a consistant thickness it will not fit or  look
right and if doing the job twice is OK then take a chance but most  people
that I know that have done it have gone back and redone it over

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:45:44 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Odd Starting Issue

Todd,
The accumulator needs to be replaced. Typical hot start problem.

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:17:13 -0000
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi Richard,
I believe there is an event planned the week-end of Sept 24th at the
Orange County Fairgrounds and Expo Center.  It's called Cruisin for
a Cure.   More info at www.cruisinforacure.com.
By the way, I met you and Randy at the open house in June.  My wife
was with me, and after seeing your car we decided to buy a
remanufactured one of our own!   Hopefully it will be done in Sept,
and if so we're going to bring it to S.Cal.
I'm a member of the Arizona Delorean Club and I think some of us are
planning a caravan event to Orange County in Sept, and even a visit
to see Don and Dan in Garden Grove.
We'll have to get our new-borns together sometime!

Christian Jarzab
Phoenix
VIN 1510 (Soon, very soon)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:47:29 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Sorry, I noticed you replaced it already. Then the hot start 2 may be the
problem with the O ring in the fuel distributor. Also an adjustment of the
air flow meter may need to be done.

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:10:43 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Idle Speed Motor / Cooling

Try it (with out) a regulated power supply or 1 amp. Most people trying it
use a battery with unlimited current. I have a 12 amp power supply
regulated.

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:55:12 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Delorean is reliable for those that know what they are doing.

I like to drive a car that I fix at least 2K miles
1. Because I like to drive a D and
2. Because I can find any problems

You saw the last raffle car that was driven a few thousand miles as  well.
This one will be driven to the show.

Now all I have to do is sell tickets

This year I think a max of 600 tickets will be sold
$50 per chance again
and tickets will go on sale around Sept  once I am sure which car I am  going
to use

I have two that I can raffle although I am favoring the automatic.

Good luck

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:47:22 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Musty odor

Thanks Ron.

I removed the seats and the carpeting. I treated the carpet with a
mold killing product called "Odor Ban", I bought it at Sams Club.
After letting it soak in on both the foam and the carpet (direction
said safe for carpet) I hosed everything down. That was yesterday,
today they are dry & smell fresh and look new. My seats are  black
original and also look new. The problem is within the foam. If you
put your nose to the back of the seat you can smell the musty odor
the strongest. I have the seats upside down in my finished basement
near a de-humidifier. Time will tell. I really would prefer not to
have to remove the covers and bleach the foam or something. Any
tricks?

Thanks.
Byron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "gullwingmag" <gullwing-
magazine_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>> Byron,
>>
>> You can get a very nice carpet from Hydro-e-lectric in Florida.

Fits

>> perfect and looks very nice.  Their number is 1-800-343-4261
>>
>> Ron
>> www.gullwingmagazine.com
>>

>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_m...>
>> wrote:
>> I think DMCH told me a while ago that the driver and

have.

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:19:53 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Brake question

Byron,
As the booster gets older the seal begin to fail. We rebuild the with new
seals and warranty them for 5 years.$125.00.  Normally if the brakes are
hard to push down it's the booster. But if the brakes are soft and they take
a pump or to, to pump up then it's the master cylinder. Real easy to change.
I sell new ones with a 5 year warranty for $79.00.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/brakes-rotors.html

But, Before I would replace it, I would replace the master cylinder which is
real easy to replace and it can be done

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 05:32:16 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Help w/horn - wiring inside steering column?

So after fixing a bunch of electrical issues with the car, I am one step away from passing
inspection. My horn does not work, and I have tested both horns for power through the wire
when the button is pressed, and had no luck. So, after taking a tip from a fellow owner to
check out the wiring in my wheel to fix the broken horn, I traced the horn wires through the
car. The purple/black wire leaves the steering column, goes through the firewall, hits the first
horn on the drivers side, and proceeds to the passenger side horn where it terminates. This
wire is (-). I disassembled the horn button and found the two prongs. I tested both, and
neither had power. I jumped a constant power wire onto the top of the prongs to find that it
is what connects to the purple/black wire, and makes the horn go 'beep'. So, the horns work,
but for some reason I have no power to the lower of the two prongs of the horn button,
which would be needed to create the circuit under normal operation. Does anyone have any
idea what color wire leads into the steering column or connects to this button? The link to the
pic below is the disassembled steering column and I jumped the top prong of the horn
button to the purple wire on the top of the bracket, closest to the camera. If anyone could
help me diagnose this, please let me know, as this is the one last thing I need to pass
inspection. Thanks.

http://www.grozio.com/dpics/Picture002.jpg
http://www.grozio.com/dpics/Picture003.jpg

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:12:40 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Build up on valves "while in there"

Charles, They can be cleaned with upper lube and other chemicals.

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 05:29:34 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: High idle

Hey,

The throttle is closing fully, and I have not messed with any of the cabling or screws since
receiving the car. I do not mean to be disrespectful to anyone and not try everything
suggested, its just that I have posted this question in several places and have received
several different suggestions and am working my way through every one. Tonight I
disassembled the area around the microswitch and unbolted it from the engine. I tested
the top wire, and not being all that familiar with a multimeter, was able to get a reading on
the top wire. I then tested the bottom wire, and with the switch both engaged and
disengaged, received no reading on the multimeter. These tests were done with the engine
off and the key in the ignition "on" position. No noise was evident from the idle motor. I
also took the suggestion to use incence to test the vaccum hoses and see if any smoke
was sucked into the lines. I tried this for about 10 minutes around all the hoses and could
see no such sign of a leak in the lines. I also proceeded to start the car, while plugging in
and unplugging the idle motor, again, when plugged in, the car idled at 2000, and
unplugged, around 1450. I hope this could help make a better determination of what is
wrong, as my next test will be to swap an ICU to check for a malfunction. Thanks.

-Derek

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:01:09 -0000
From: "Manny Sajiun" <mannyone_at_dml_optonline.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Josh Krady" <josh_at_dml_j...> wrote:

>> I just took my blank to the local Hardware store and they cut it,

tried it on the car and worked fine, they asked me if I wanted
another one they'll supply the blank I said OK but give me one
without the plastic cap so I can hide it somewhere on the outside of
the car, they made it and tried it on the car and it worked, then
they only charged me for the one they supplied the blank for, no
charge for the one I supplied the blank for.
I live in Long Island  Vin 20020

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:08:35 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

>> Though I wish the project had succeeded, the show exposed a new
>> generation to the Delorean, so it can't be considered a total loss.
>> It was an honor to have been invited onto the show.

Rick,

I could have told you it wouldn't have succeeded in the first 30
seconds. Why didn't they get a hovercraft expert on the show?

I am by no means an expert myself, but I know enough about hovercraft
design & operation principles. The show took a hovercraft with a few
hundred pound payload and tried to make it left a couple thousand
pounds of weight. Jesse should have know there was no way in hell this
was going to work. That little snowmobile engine never had a chance.
The PRV might -- MIGHT -- have provided enough lift, given the proper
engineering, to actually carry the car over various terrain. A
secondary thrust engine mounted above the PRV and this could have been
a mild success.

Rich had the right idea with his conversion, as did all of you (except
Jesse) on the show: Stick the DeLorean's panels on the hovercraft.
Unfortunately, we all know what happened with that idea - the only
feasible one given what you had to work with.

There are people - real experts - who could have made the whole car
fly. Whether it could be done under the circumstances the show
dictates, who knows. Given the proper preparation beforehand, I
believe it could have been.