Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2771
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:30 Jul 2005 13:49:34 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Brake Rotors
From: DANIEL SHANE <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>

2. Re: Front End Work in MA
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. re: Monster Garage and destroying DMCs
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

4. RE: Re: Idle Speed Motor / Cooling
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. AW: Re: Idle Speed Motor / Cooling
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

6. RE: Missing service manual pages.
From: "Travis Goodwin" <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

7. RE: Re: DML Window Felt Replacement - Update?
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

8. Re: Front End Work in MA
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: Odd Starting Issue
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: Front End Work in MA
From: "Brandon" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: USA Today article on time-travel (Pic of Doc Brown- BTTF)
From: "Flavia" <frvianna_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Window Tracks
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

13. Duke (at88mph) please contact me.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Any Delorean activties planned in So Cal this summer??
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

15. Re: Modified DeLoreans
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

16. Dealership Sign
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

17. RE: Brake Rotors
From: "rob" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

18. Re: Working on that warmup issue..
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

19. Re: Front End Work in MA
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

20. Re: Window Tracks
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

21. Re: DeLorean Mechanic in Charlotte NC Area
From: "Jeff" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

22. Re: Re: Rebuilding the PRV
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

23. Re: Rebuilding the PRV
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

24. Re: Re: DML Window Felt Replacement - Update?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

25. Re: Monster Garage and destroying DMCs
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:16:40 +0100 (BST)
From: DANIEL SHANE <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Rotors

Hi Bernie,

DMUK sell them.

Goto
<http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/newparts1.html#brakediscs>

Dan

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:40:57 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Front End Work in MA

I had the same issue. It was a pretty bad shimmy until I got the
tires balanced, now it only shimmys when I brake (I suspect warped
rotors). But, I don't think an alignment will remove a shimmy, only
correct a drifting or pulling condition and save your tires from an
uneven wear. I would start by taking the car back and have them
check the balance on the front wheels, a tiny missing or miss-placed
counterweight can make a lot of difference at high speeds. If it
continues I would have a suspension shop take a look at it. Just a
thought.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...> wrote:

>> I just got four new balanced tires, but my front end still has a
>> little shimmy at highway speeds (60 mph).  Does anyone know a

reliable

>> front end shop in MA that can take a look and give me an alignment,

or

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:41:45 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: re: Monster Garage and destroying DMCs

Before we start up a lynch mob to go after Jesse James for destroying a
DeLorean, keep in mind that many many more DeLoreans were destroyed by the
BTTF people.  (Besides, Jesse is now betrothed to Austin resident Sandra
Bullock, so I may actually pull up next to him in traffic, lol.)  There
are also DMC owners out there that have "destroyed" their cars by parting
them out, and any owners that purchase these parts contribute to that
behavior.

The destruction of a DeLorean, in theory, increases the value of the
survivors!  But to be perfectly clear, I really don't want the value of my
car to go up.  If my DMC was suddenly worth $100,000, I would be forced to
sell it, as I certainly would not drive a vehicle that valuable.

And for the record, I oppose the destruction of classic automobiles; the
endings of the films "BTTF 3" and "Christine" both made my skin crawl.
But, for the record, I support the right of people to do whatever the heck
they want with the property they own, even when I don't approve.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:48:22 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Idle Speed Motor / Cooling

Not sure how far into electronics theory we want this thread to go, but
Elvis is right...once it's at "steady state", that is. When voltage is first
applied and current first begins to flow the inductive circuit is not yet at
steady state. Current buildup will be slow due to a special kind of
"resistance" known as inductive reactance resulting from a "counter
electromotive force" (Counter EMF) that does not allow the rate of flow of
current through the coil to change instantaneously. Once steady state is
achieved it is like a resistor, however.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:49:46 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Re: Idle Speed Motor / Cooling

No like I said earlier the motor is driven with a 100Hz PWM.
But to test it if it is still ok a DC voltage can be applied.
DC would be like worst case, or similar to fully open or fully
closed position.
I haven't measured the inductivity of the coil, but it can't
be high so I guess that at 100Hz the inductivity won't reduce
the current too much. Well - somebody could measure the input
current to the ECU if interested.

Next thing is - I bet that BOSCH built the motor failsafe -
a burned transistor that makes a short won't destroy the motor.

Still the question for Derek is - is the motor ok ?
or are the bearings rusted and stuck open ?

Long discussion for a 2 minute test where the test for the
motor itself takes only a second each time you test it.

Elvis

To flat DC, a coil (inductor) is a resistor..

Question is, does the ECU output flat DC??

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:49:48 -0400
From: "Travis Goodwin" <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: Missing service manual pages.

Is yours a PJ Grady copy? Mine is messed up that way too.

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:34:22 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DML Window Felt Replacement - Update?

Believe it or not, there is a specialty provider for Ford Probes that
went through and bought up a bunch of parts as they became discontinued.
They sell the window felt (or belt, as they call it) for $87 each.
Seems a little high to me given that the part reportedly cost $3 when
the article was written.  If anyone here has a brother that works at a
parts counter its worth keeping our eyes open for a new substitute.
Moderators may want to add a note to the procedure in the meantime?

Thanks John for funding us a sub - will call.

Tom

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:50:39 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You should be able to find a good front end shop, ever large city has
at least a couple. If the "shimmy" you are refering to is a
side-to-side shaking through the steering wheel it can be bad tires or
play in the steering. Make sure there is no looseness in the steering
column and the U-joints. Sometimes, if a bolt is not tight enough, you
can get some play there. You might also have play in the rack and/or
the tie rod ends. Any play will magnify vibrations. You might have to
get the wheels spin balanced again. A weight could have fallen off.
Have the rims checked to be sure they are not bent. Proper tire
pressure is very important too. This does not sound like you need an
alignmnet as long as the car does not lead to either side on a flat
road. Rub your hand over the tires, both on the tread and the sides.
If you feel ripples, bulges, creases, you could have a defective tire.
to get help. Make sure the lug nuts are on tight.

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:57:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Odd Starting Issue

A "quick and dirty" test of the cold start valve would be to remove
the injector from the air tube and stick it in a container still
connected to the fuel line and the electrical connector. While an
assistant tries to start the motor (when cold) you should see the
injector squirt fuel while the motor is cranking. Observe common sense
precautions while working on an open fuel injection system. Wear eye
protection and have a fire extingusher handy. Be warned, just because
you appear to have similar symptoms, this does not mean you have the
same problem. Similar symptoms can have different causes.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_g...> wrote:

>> A-ha! so there are two of us with this exact same problem. I've been

moaning

>> on this list on this issue for a couple of years, and this is good

stuff,

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:18:28 -0000
From: "Brandon" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I, too, have had a little shimmy in my wheel _at_dml_ highway speeds.  At
first I thought it was my steering column bushing, but upon further
inspection I was told that my U-joint and upper shaft needed
replacing.. as well as my tie rod ends.  I haven't picked up my car
yet (still down at DMCFL), but I will find out soon enough if that
solved my problem.

Brandon
VIN#4205
Orlando, FL

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:18:26 -0000
From: "Flavia" <frvianna_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: USA Today article on time-travel (Pic of Doc Brown- BTTF)

I found a link to the article online
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2005-07-27-time-travel_x.htm
Too bad that one doesn't come with the picture.

Thanks for letting us know, it is definitely entertaining!

Flavia - NJ
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> At the bottom of page 7D of today's USA Today is an artice on time-
>> travel.   The artile begins with "What do you get when you join a

1981

>> Delorean, a flux-capacitor and a digital dial set to Nov 5, 1955?  If
>> you're Dr Emmett Brown in the 1985 movie Back to th Future, you've
>> created a time machine".
>> Article is about a Israel professor who says that the laws of physics
>> don't stand in the way of time travel...  It's entertaining to say

the

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:18:48 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Window Tracks

The windows can creep over 25 years in their runner and it's easier to
pull the window off the runner and re-glue it back where it should be.
Don't ask me why they do it but we recently re-bonded one that had moved
over half an inch - you could see the marks on the glass

Martin

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:01:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Duke (at88mph) please contact me.

You must change your e-mail address often!  I cant
keep track!

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:53:27 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: Re: Any Delorean activties planned in So Cal this summer??

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_B...> wrote:

>> There are two screenings in the area of Back To The Future next

month -

>> check the posts on this site from a week or two back.

You can always get the latest BTTF-related events from BTTF.com:

http://www.bttf.com/forums/calendar.php

Incidently, in addition to the Hollywood Collector's Show in Burbank
this weekend, Claudia Wells will be doing a meet & greet with fans and
an audience Q&A at both Southern California screenings in August (South
Pasadena: 8/6; Los Angeles: 8/26).

Stephen Clark,
BTTF.com

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:01:21 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Modified DeLoreans

It was driven to Memphis
It was Driven back from Pigeon Forge by my son after he partied the night before with it
Yes I trailered it to the fall tour but drove the tours including the two day one to montauk one I got there.
and I said I drove the car in Houston after the show.

But others drive concours cars regularly too
Chris Smith the winner of the show has over 15K miles on here and then there is Cheryl Wester that drives her concours car and AAron Posy

And in answer to your Question I have lost to the same car three times in Chris Smith and with my car and the other one was with the 170 mile car and it did fine.

I will win it don't worry
how many other cars can place in a concours year after year after year after year.

I don't see many repeats other than Chris and myself

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:54:37 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Dealership Sign

If anyone has a sign for sale, please email me at:

packodenton(at)aol.com

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:51:53 -0400
From: "rob" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Bernie,

For what it's worth we also have front rotors in stock.

Rob Grady

P,J.Grady Inc.

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:10:41 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Working on that warmup issue..

Your issue needs to be checked methodically. I am afraid the jumping
around will lead to guessing.

The hose disconnect you did should have created a vacuum leak in the
intake manifold idle motor plumbing. It sounds like the hole in the
bottom of the intake manifold feeding the idle motor may be stopped
up.

But - guessing along here, I would say your symptoms also describe a
problem in the fuel pressure regulator or the vacuum lines and
accessories attached there to.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_y...>

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:20:29 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Call some local hot-rod shops. They will probably know a local shop
whose business is doing the alignment on unusual prized possessions.

It will probably cost more but at least you will get an alignment.

Take the specs with you.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:30:51 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

You should loosen and adjust the guides with the window motor detached
to get a good alignment. A good alignment and you can push the window
open and closed by hand. I did some bending on mine but it was to
correct what I think was bending caused by poor alignment somewhere in
the cars life.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:25:50 -0000
From: "Jeff" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Mechanic in Charlotte NC Area

Hey Gang,

I'd just like to add that I have recently been considering a
relocation.  I'm interested in the possibility of working for a
major DeLorean Service Center.  I know that alot of the top guys
read these posts and I'd like to let them know that if they are
looking for an experienced "DeLorean Only" Mechanic that it's a job
I want to stick with and would love the opportunity to come onboard
and be part of a winning team by Pheasant Run.  I want to further my
knowledge of this specific vehicle craft and I feel I can bring alot
to someones business as I have alot of great ideas for how to bring
the DeLorean into the new bracket of owners who are purchasing these
cars today and in alot of newer cases from the original owners.  I
definitely want to preserve the original beauty of the car but add
some new and interesting touches.

I'm pretty much available to travel anywhere for anyone who needs
work on their cars in the coming months but would love to base with
a group of already well established individuals.  I'll travel for
any job interviews required.

Hope to hear from you all soon,

Jeff in NC

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Friday"
<DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> For those that don't know me my name is Jeff.  I recently had to

part with

>> my 81 DeLorean Vin 5945 for various reasons but over the three

years of

>> owning the car I did a 60% teardown and rebuild of various systems

and

>> cosmetic areas.  I feel that I've become a quite compitent

mechanic as I

>> worked closely on my car, Louie Goldens, Andy Grums and I helped

Eric

>> Campbell select his BAE Turbo DeLorean earlier in the year.  That

one was

>> quite a find.
>>
>> I regret that I never participated in the DML until recently but

now that I

>> am parting with my car (it'll be picked up end of this month) I

want to get

>> even MORE active in the community to stay close to this wonderful
>> automobile.
>>
>> I want to just get my name out there and for those that monitored

Tamir's

>> DeLorean site you've seen the quality of my work and are probably

familiar

>> with me.
>>
>> I also recently designed and commissioned the build of a Carb

Intake

>> Manifold (you may have seen it on eBay...so that was me.)
>>
>> I've been helping owners with tech help in various mediums and

service (Did

>> lots of adjustments to cars at a few local gatherings) and I want

>> continue doing this kind of work while I attempt to further my

education in

>> a few other courses of study.
>>
>> I'd like to formally offer my services to perform maintenance and

upgrades

>> to anyone who would find my location in the Carolinas convenient

but I am

>> also willing to TRAVEL to perform service.  I offer great rates

and will

>> work out a cost for travel depending on the location.  I also have

a nice

>> storage facility close buy and can house cars in units large

enough for me

>> to service them indoors so they won't be exposed to the elements

if you

>> leave the car with me.  I also put everything in writting signed

and

>> notarized (upon request) and I warranty any work I perform (also

in writting

>> upon request.)
>>
>> I'm not sure if Andy or Eric post here but I'm sure many of you

know Louie

>> Golden so feel free to ask him about my areas of service that I've

done on

>> his car.  I also know Mark V very well if anyone knows him as well

as

>> Jeremiah Montee (I hope I spelled that right Jeremiah)  :)
>>
>> I think I covered all the bases.  I hate letting go of my dream

car but that

>> doesn't mean the dream has to go along with it.  I look forward to

hearing

>> from any interested owners and my telephone is (704) 701 - 2870.

It's a

>> mobile number and I don't always have good reception so please

leave a

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:39:45 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Rebuilding the PRV

Well that worked well.  I had to look at the parts book myself because the
NAPA employee didn't take the time to look close enough in the book to see
what I needed.  They just delivered on the valve stem seals, the rear main
seal and just one head gasket, (yes, just one head gasket.  The other head
gasket was going to take over a week to locate so I just skipped on it for
the time being).  One thing they couldn't get was the piston rings.  John
Hervey, are you reading this?  lol  I'll be contacting John H. to get the
rings...  Anyway, NAPA does carry a few parts for the B28.

Thanks,
Lingo #2034

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:40:37 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding the PRV

Thanks for the info. Martin.

Lingo, #2034

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:19:25 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Just buy a roll of self adhesive VELCRO.

Here is the easy fix.

1. Remove the old window felt off the rubber that is on that long black
bar but DO NOT REMOVE the rubber piece the old felt was attached to.
Clean all glue and gunk of the rubber.

2. Use your new velcro you just bought. Discard the hard crunchy part
and use the soft part and stick the soft part to the old rubber that is
still attached to the long black bar.

3. reassemble and you have a easy fix that will last a long time.

How do i know this you may ask.... Don Stegar from Delorean Motor
Center showed me how to do this at a tech session and he said he hasn't
had one comeback since he started using this easy fix.

Mark V

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:18:11 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

Well spoke,
however my take on the Monstor Garage show with the D, is the way
Jesee puts down the car from the very beginning. "failed car
company" "failed project". His mannerism was that of a little boy
destroying the property of someone else through pure hatred for the
toy or the person. Its the way he conducted himself that is more
troubling than the fact the car was destroyed.
Rich W. I believe said the project would have succeeded to be an
actual hover from scrath, the supplier for those materials cancelled
last minute.
If Jesse got involved and actually contributed honest thought and
energy to the program; then ultimately seeing the car get destroyed
would have been better.
I cannot watch that show anymore, his acting out was kiddish and
dissapointing.

BC