From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 3:05 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2773

1. Colorado English Motoring Conclave - 2005
From: "Daniel Haney" <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

2. RE: Modified DeLorean
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

3. Re: Window Tracks
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: Window Tracks
From: "rob" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

5. RE: Re: DeLorean Mechanic in Charlotte NC Area
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

6. Re: DeLorean Values.
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

7. Re: Re: DeLorean Mechanic in Charlotte NC Area
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: DeLorean Values.
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. The angle drive
From: "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

11. Engine question-
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

12. Dash mats....
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: DeLorean Values.
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. Re: DeLorean Mechanic in Charlotte NC Area
From: "dmcmike2002" <billsfanmd_at_dml_verizon.net>

15. Re: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

16. Fuel filter/line questions
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

17. RE: Dash mats....
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: DeLorean Values.
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

19. Re: Window Tracks
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. Re: Window Tracks
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

21. RE: DeLorean Values.
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

22. RE: Missing service manual pages.
From: "George Ryerson" <gryerson_at_dml_se.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:16:07 -0600
From: "Daniel Haney" <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Colorado English Motoring Conclave - 2005

All Owners (VB are you reading this?),

I participated in the 2004 Colorado English Motoring Conclave and at that time they asked me if I could bring along MORE Deloreans. They loved my car and the organizers of the event were very excited because I showed up unannounced the day of the event. I was in a class with several other "orphan" English built cars including a Morgan. The winner (PEOPLE's CHOICE) of our class was a very beautifully car where the owner spent 5 years rebuilding it and you could tell.

If 3 or more "D"'s were in atendance we would be in our own class. I would love to share the day with fellow Delorean owners.

The show is inexpensive $15 and includes a car tour & Road Ralley through the mountains on Saturday Sept 17 and the car show on Sunday Sept 18. Oak Park is a pretty park with lots of shade to park your car under and a creek in order to dip your toes. This show is open to cars in any condition, there were cars there last year in more pieces than Brandon's car. As a matter of fact if someone were to trailer a D with its body off the frame, it would be the hit of the show. While the Bentley's, Rolls and Mini's got a lot of attention last year the cars that drew the most attention were the ones where all the internals were exposed. A car with a wooden skeleten is quite a site!

Both events start at Oak Park (64th place off Ralston Road) in Arvada. If you are interested I have the registrations and will happily send it to you.

Please contact me off list if you are interested.

Dan Haney

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:20:04 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Modified DeLorean

Hi Ken,

You should try proof reading your posts as your brain always seems to be going 170MPH! What was that about Aaron Posey ("and AAron Posy")? Less fragmented sentences and more periods would be greatly appreciated. You're an English teacher's worst nightmare! It's OK Ken... everyone still loves you. :)

Rob

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:20:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Window Tracks

Martin, I think one of mine might need to be relocated.  How did you go about getting it off the runner without breaking the glass?

Thanks for any tips.

Steve

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:28:29 -0400
From: "rob" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Martin,

Actually I've never seen a "factory installed" door glass creep in its
runner. Urethane is very strong (seven times stronger than silicone) so you
must have encountered a glass that was re-bonded with butyl tape or some
other inferior product. That's just my two cents...no point to prove so
let's not argue OK? BTW Paul don't bend your tracks as they can be adjusted.

Rob Grady

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:33:52 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLorean Mechanic in Charlotte NC Area

Jeff,

We're always looking to add people to our staff with your kind of attitude.
Please E-mail me your resume privately or call to arrange an interview.

Rob Grady

P.J.Grady Inc.

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:45:35 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Values.

Marc, VB, & list,

My opinion, for what it's worth: I would pay a significant premium for
a DeLorean with a different engine & transmission. Give me a 6 speed
with 300-400hp and I'd be all over it. Remember the DeLorean with the
rotary engine in it? Someone told me it's ultimate selling price was
~$16k. Had I known I could talk them down that low, I would have
bought it in an instant.

The PRV is S-L-O-W. It was slow in '81. It's slow today. To argue
otherwise is ridiculous. The car's lines scream speed but you'd be
hard pressed to win a drag race with a modern minivan. Now, most
people here probably don't care about that. I think a majority of
DeLorean owners use them as a Sunday driver and just want to take in
the scenery. There's nothing wrong with that. I've been enjoying my
car in the same fashion (except, on a daily basis). But, boy, when
people ask, "Is it fast?" I'd love to respond, "Twin turbo V8. 0-60 in
3.2. Eight miles per gallon and worth every drop."

#5447 will ultimately be a custom car in exactly this fashion. I
think, as younger owners begin to purchase these cars, you will see
more and more of this and the value of such vehicles will rise
significantly above stock.

-Ryan

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:39:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Not that my word shakes any ground here, but I have
known Jeff for a couple years - he was one of the
first persons that I talked to even before I acquired
my DeLorean back in Nov 2003.  His work is of very
high quality I feel, and the logs he has with all the
photographs he's done of his work is quite impressive.
 With all respect to Jeff, he talked about this car
until I could sometimes no longer handle it; his
knowledge of the engine and the specifics behind it is
very impressive.  I personally believe your time and
effort would not be wasted if you were to in some way
consider him.  I have absolutely no idea how the
vendors choose who they want to work for them, but I
think he's a good candidate for consideration.  He's a
younger guy with a great knowledge of the car and
seems to be willing to learn anything from anyone.  He
EASILY knows more than myself about the car, yet if
there was something simple such as (just an example)
why there was an aluminim heatshield between the side
of my engine and my muffler - he wanted to know why
with a fully open mind and no forms of rebuke or
cynical criticism.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd plug for him; he is a great
mechanic and the "almost formed" North Carolina
DeLorean Motor Club that consisted of around 10 owners
on their first gathering would be able to speak well
of him too.

Jeremiah

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:18:52 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I hang out with a lot of Ferrari and Lamborghini owners, and the reason high
end sports cars like these are never used as daily drivers is because of the
super high and frequent maintenance
and level of comfort.
It is hard to find a happy medium between super car, and moderate sports
car.
These 12 cylinder beasts have hard suspension, hot gas guzzling engines
and cost about $1+ per mile to drive.
In contrast, Mustang's, Camero's, Corvette's etc.. are every day sports cars
with
great performance and reliability but they are common and don't get the
attention
that a super car gets.
If you are driving a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Saleen.... or even a DeLorean you
will get
tremendous attention - which is what we all want, that' why we drive such
pretentious cars.
There is no arguing that point.
The DeLorean is special enough to park next these super cars and get equal
attention.

The happy medium would be that if we could mesh the super car with the every
day car.
The automobile makers have been trying to do it, but nothing that comes off
the lot
now a days (that any of us can afford) will get them same attention that a
Countach
gets when the scissor door goes up.
Same as our cars.
So if we could put in a new modern engine, electrical system and modern
interior
and basically keep the external lines of the car untouched you would have
one heck
of a daily driver super car!
Houston was on the right track with their new interior, but they were going
strictly
for aesthetics and not so much for usability when you consider how they set
the back shelf area.
I would like to see more storage, better placement of speakers, a CUP
HOLDER, better placement
of air vents, better design of the center console to fit a large touch
screen dvd navigation system, etc.... Now, I know that DMCH already put
something like that together, but they did it in a
proprietary way so that you could not choose or change the radio or screen.
They also made the rear shelf look cool, but not very useful for storage.

These are not all cosmetic things I am talking about, it's all about making
life go by easy
while in the car. If a powerful modern EFI engine with an auto 5 speed is
installed
you could drive with power and confidence.
I am not talking about some old crate engine with a carb on it... that's
trouble too.
I am talking about a modern, 2005 crate engine.
Several are under consideration, Honda, Dodge, Ford, etc.
...this is where I hit a roadblock. I am not a mechanic and I have never
done an engine
swap before so this is a big undertaking.
However, when you add up all the costs of doing the Houston engine upgrade
and all
you end up with is maybe 200HP and still 25 year old technology, with that
same money
or a little more you have something more modern and clean.

One day I will dive in and find out what an undertaking it is.
- VB

>From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] DeLorean Values.
>Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:45:35 -0700
>
>Marc, VB, & list,
>
>My opinion, for what it's worth: I would pay a significant premium for
>a DeLorean with a different engine & transmission. Give me a 6 speed
>with 300-400hp and I'd be all over it. Remember the DeLorean with the
>rotary engine in it? Someone told me it's ultimate selling price was
>~$16k. Had I known I could talk them down that low, I would have
>bought it in an instant.
>
>The PRV is S-L-O-W. It was slow in '81. It's slow today. To argue
>otherwise is ridiculous. The car's lines scream speed but you'd be
>hard pressed to win a drag race with a modern minivan. Now, most
>people here probably don't care about that. I think a majority of
>DeLorean owners use them as a Sunday driver and just want to take in
>the scenery. There's nothing wrong with that. I've been enjoying my
>car in the same fashion (except, on a daily basis). But, boy, when
>people ask, "Is it fast?" I'd love to respond, "Twin turbo V8. 0-60 in
>3.2. Eight miles per gallon and worth every drop."
>
>#5447 will ultimately be a custom car in exactly this fashion. I
>think, as younger owners begin to purchase these cars, you will see
>more and more of this and the value of such vehicles will rise
>significantly above stock.
>
>-Ryan

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:51:53 -0000
From: "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: The angle drive

I'm in the process of investigating why my speedometer wasnt working
the other day, so I started at the top. un-hooking the upper cable
from the lambda and spining the cable did the trick to make the
speedometer needle jump. so I moved on down to the lower cable and to
my surprise its just a hose and no cable inside, clearly I solved the
issue as to why it doesnt work there but than I moved on to the angle
drive. now where the angle drive connects to the dust sheild was a
series of snaped wires. now no doubt this is another reason why my
speedometer wasnt working. Though it seems like and easy fix to order
my 2 new replacements (angle drive and lower speedometer cable) Im not
quite sure how to go about removing and replacing the angle drive.

Also what sort of car and maintainence should I do to the angle drive
and speedometer cables to ensure a accurate and long lifespan?

~ Josh Tidwell
Vin: 04463

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 01:09:40 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)

I'm still battling to get my engine running good, but encountered some
problems. The distributor is adjusted a little bit counter clockwise
from the center line-the engine starts right up fast, but idle
condition is horrible with "popping" and rough running not to mention
vibrations. Adjusting the distributor so it is on the centerline will
give me the same results as described above, just a bit less popping.
When it is adjusted a slight bit clockwise over the centerline, the
engine runs so smooth and perfectly! BUT after the engine is off for 5
minutes it is hard to start, and letting it sit over night it won't
start at all the next morning. The only way to start it is with a
great deal of starting spray, or by unbolting the distributor and
adjusting it CCW. So instead of having a nice running engine, I run it
CCW to eliminate start-up problems but also have to deal with bad rock
and roll. Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening? Is
there something else I need to replace in order to get it to start
right up? Thanks guys! -----Dani B. #5003 (almost there)

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:58:04 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Engine question-

Driving home last night, I moderately accelerated away from a stop
light and heard a sound. A pop or a thud...I'm not exactly sure. I
have a lot of things in my trunk (returning from a waterpump party)
and figured it was the contents shifting around.

Then I noticed that I'd lost 1/3 of my engine power and that the car
stumbles upon acceleration.

Has anyone ever "heard" a headgasket blow out while driving? If so,
I'll have poor compression on a cylinder or cylinders right? I'm a
tired and frustrated so throw me a bone here.

Oh, I replaced my headgaskets 2 years ago and have not overheated the
engine.

Thanks,

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:45:10 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Dash mats....

Aloha,
I was wondering if there is any harm in using a dash mat on my delorean?
The dash itself is in perfect condition and I just wanted to keep it that
way.  I read a dmcnews post from 2000 that said it would be bad to use a mat
but I couldn't understand why.  Any thoughts?
-Alex

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:21:03 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

I never thought I'd want to weigh in on a topic like this, but here goes:

There's another value point for the concourse or simply unmodified
cars: They match the documentation.  The issues that occur are not
"surprises" and things like the DML are value-adds to any unmodified
car.  If I bought a DeLorean with an engine swap, and perhaps some new
electricals, it may run faster, and seem a lot sexier, even more
stable.  But I had better have mad mechanic skills to own such a car
in the event of a problem...  or in the event that I'd like to make
any changes.  I'm rather comfortable doing things to my stock D
because of this list (and my new set of DeLorean World backissues),
and when shopping, that extra benefit was part of my selection
criteria.  I knew virtually nothing about cars...  the DeLorean was my
learning project, but I knew I needed things like online support.  And
it's been great.

I have huge respect for the people who produce amazing modifications
to their DeLoreans, and I also have a lot of respect for the people
who buy them with the knowledge and skill required to handle a truly
unique, one-of-a-kind car, because they're in a totally different
situation when it comes to certain areas of support.

I think both types of cars can pull in major cash, but from very
different types of customers, that is all.  Why the conflict and the
"either / or" mindset?  There may be less people comfortable with a
car that falls outside of the standards and documentation, but anyone
considering an orphan like the DeLorean in the first place is already
looking beyond the normal level of support available to owners of
modern branded vehicles.  DeLorean seekers in particular are probably
more prone to accept "hacks" than any other auto buyers!

--Greg

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 04:32:39 -0000
From: "dmcmike2002" <billsfanmd_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Mechanic in Charlotte NC Area

Rob,
If you hire him or have him drive up for an interview. The first job
you can give him is to a valve adjustment for me on his way up to or
back from your shop :-) I am just off I-95 in MD...A nice halfway stop
between NC and Montauk :-)

Mike C
2109

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:20:18 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Are you using a timing light while you are making these adjustments?
Moving the distributor like this changes the ignition timing.  You
need to get it set at the proper spec, then find out the other reasons
the car is not running right.

-------------- Original message from "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>: --------------

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:30:15 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Fuel filter/line questions

I was looking at the fuel filter I replaced today and noticed that
inside the inlet, the plastic was melted and bowed in. What could
cause such high temperature that the pastic would actually melt?
There's no extreme heat source near the filter, just a coolant pipe
which doesn't touch. Also, the fuel return line runs through the fuel
pump boot to a steel "L" shaped line, and then to a rubber line that's
directed into the baffle and clipped into place so it will flow to the
pick-up hose... Is this done for a reason? Or can I lose the rubber
line/clip? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 01:05:45 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Dash mats....

If your dash is in good condition now, just keep it clean and out of the
sun.
If you have to park it outside in the sun light it would be a good idea to
use a screen.
It is easier to use an inside the windshiled screen, but DMCH sells one that
fits on
the outside of the windshield that blocks all of the light.
If you park it under a carport or a garage you most likely not have a
problem.

There are some people that are quite against products like Armor-All and
etc,
and others who love it.
The main thing is keeping it clean and dry but mostly out of the sun.

The reason some people are opposed to using dah mats is that they can
trap moisture underneath and cause mold and stains.

For some people it's a fashion thing, like the way your grandparents
would put plastic on the furniture....

- VB

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:49:19 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Sounds great, but don't call it a DeLorean.  I think we should let the
DeLorean name live back in its time of the early '80's, the way it was
conceived, designed and built.  I hope people don't come after me with
pitchforks because they don't like my opinion, remember, it's just some
Vermonter's opinion :-)

Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:52:10 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Hi Rob, I only ever argue with Bill :-)

I've seen it twice and although I can't recall which car the first one
was, the second was a factory right-hander which has been in a museum
for years, so it's unlikely to have been re-worked since the factory.
Certainly everything else on the car was original

I think the fix is still valid, creeping or not. It may well be easier
to re-glue the window in its runner than adjust the guides, especially
with those botls prone to snapping.

Open ended question: If the glass doesn't move, and the guides don't
move - why do they go out of bonk? Poorly fitted new?

Martin

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:57:47 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Just pull them apart. You're pulling the glass rather than flexing it
and it's unlikely to break with that force applied. They fairly often
come adrift on their own, so with a bit of applied force, they come
apart quite easily, unless of course someone's already re-glued it....

(wrote that bit before Rob's post - I always handle dropping glass so
carefully because in my experience they can come apart so easily. Maybe
I need to do a few more windows!)

Martin
(with scratched up hands after doing a pair of regulators on Friday)

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:21:16 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

Bob,

On this one point I will agree with you.  If Houston or Rob would make a
standard upgrade to a Hemi or other great engine that could be supported
by them and the online forum, only then would I step up to the plate.

Jack.

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:30:54 -0400
From: "George Ryerson" <gryerson_at_dml_se.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Missing service manual pages.

I have all of the "D" service manual in digital format. Will be happy to
email any or all sections if you have a fast enough internet connection.