Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2775
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:1 Aug 2005 22:37:23 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Engine question- Answered (sort of)
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

2. RE: Engine question- Answered (sort of)
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. RE: Body pulling and water leak.
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: DeLorean Dome Lights
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Turbo Delorean for Sale
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: The angle drive
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. trying to contact Eric Weber
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

8. Fan Fix Dual 2 x 2 wiring
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

9. Re: Body pulling and water leak.
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. waterpump issues/steering wheel column
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Fan Fix Dual 2 x 2 wiring
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

12. Re: Fan Fix Dual 2 x 2 wiring
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

13. Steering shake
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Cleaning Fuel Injectors
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

15. DeLorean website moved/updated...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

16. Re: Re: Fan Fix Dual 2 x 2 wiring
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

17. RE: Re: Fan Fix Dual 2 x 2 wiring
From: "Sweet, Paul" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

18. Re: Fan Fix Dual 2 x 2 wiring
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

19. Re: Replacing the fuel pump
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

20. Re: Musty odor
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

21. Re: Cleaning Fuel Injectors
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

22. Re: Steering shake
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 01:39:02 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Engine question- Answered (sort of)

I apologize for the lack of information. I was exhausted and cheezed
off when I posted my question.

It was certainly strange. The engine idled fine, the only difference
in behavior was a heavy stumble upon moderate acceleration and a
noticable loss of power. Once you were at speed, it seemed fine.

There were no gauge indications out of spec either, (temp, oil
pressure, RPM).

Next day, I performed a compression check and all was well. My spark-
plugs were text-book examples of properly wearing plugs. (No
fouling, detonation, proper temperature range). I did find a valve
cover bolt that had backed out, but when I performed a vacuum leak
check it didn't seem to be a factor. Nonetheless, I screwed it back
down and took the car out. All signs of hesitation were gone, and
all power was present. I've driven it several times since to make
sure, and put my foot in the floor in an attempt to make the
symptoms reappear but all is well.

Personally, I think the car heard me swearing under my breath that
if a head gasket had blown again that I would trade it in for an '05
Mustang and decided to correct itself.

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:16:13 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Engine question- Answered (sort of)

Rich,

You should have sworn under your breath that you'd trade it in on a Yugo.
You
might then be driving the worlds only 700 HP DeLorean!   ;)

-Joe Kuchan
]

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:21:38 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Body pulling and water leak.

The accelerator cable. And the steering column

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 02:20:26 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Dome Lights

It took me a while to find the tilt/telescope addjuster as well.

The second dome light is centered below the rear window (used to illuminate the rear
luggage shelf.

- Geoff

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 02:57:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Turbo Delorean for Sale

I am finishing up the revival of an 81 Delorean I found abandoned in a
gas station for 10 years. I put an Island Twin Turbo kit in it and
basically went over the whole car. It is an 81, ridged hood, grey
5-speed with 20,000 miles. It is a nice driver that has some cosmetic
issues yet to be done. Anyone interested e-mail me for details. I am
looking to get $20,000 for it. Except for the radio and the turbo kit
I kept it basically stock (with all the recalls and upgrades).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757 (this is the vin of my automatic)

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 03:34:54 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: The angle drive

Lubrication, lubrication, & lubrication.

Make sure the new angle drive & lower speedo cable are kept lubricated
on a semi regular basis.

I like the stainless lower cable that DPNW carries. Nice piece of
hardware.

Lower speedo cable & stock angle drive are two notorious weak points.
Once both are replaced, you should be hopefully trouble free for a
good while since you say the upper cables are fine.

Good Luck,

-Joe

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 06:09:42 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: trying to contact Eric Weber

I am trying to contact Eric Weber and the e-mail address listed on
www.exoticdmc.com does not seem to be working, if anyone on this board
knows him, please ask him to contact me.

Thank you,
Ben Ferguson
VIN 10365
captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:52:57 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Fan Fix Dual 2 x 2 wiring

JOhn Hervey or group,

I just bought the Fan Fix Dual 2 x 2, and wired it this morning.
However, on the plug with the orange wiring, there's a single wire
also attached to the left orange wire (facing the relay compartment),
that is red with a black stripe.  The blade connector for this wire
was not in the plug. Perhaps it slipped out.  Which space in this plug
does this wire go?  Below the orange wires, or above it?

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 02:37:42 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

The evaporator can only be removed from inside the car, and only with
the freon and cooling lines disconnected. You have to take apart most
of the dash. BIG job.

The freon and heater lines have to be disconnected to remove the body
from the frame too. This is, in my opinion, the biggest pain in the
neck about the body pull. Otherwise it's remarkably easy - I've gone
from start to separation in under 5 hours (using a lift).

The gas tank will stay in the frame. You'll need to disconnect the
filler hose and the vent hose (the large and small one that go up to
the filler neck). And the ground wire that's connected between the
tank and the filler neck.
-------
The coolant leak is probably the hoses that come out of the back of
the water pump, not the pump itself. There's also the possiblity that
the heater pipe under there has rusted through, or the y-pipe o-rings
have failed (very rare). If you go to all this trouble change the
pump anyway.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> Hi all.
>>
>> -->
>> Also.. Is there any way to pull the pontoon and get the AC

evaporator

>> out of it without opening the AC system? I think they system is

still

>> charged and if it is I'd rather not have to deal with recharging it
>> again even if it means more work to get the body pulled.  I'll hook

the

>> gages to it this afternoon and check for freon pressure.. If the

system

>> is empty then this question is moot.
>>
>> Another question is, do I need to pull the gas tank as well or will

it

>> drop with the frame?
>>
>> Lastly, my next question isn't about pulling the body.. It's about

the

>> green lake I have in the valley of death.. The previous owner said

the

>> car needed a waterpump, but when I started looking at it closer and

with

>> a flashlight, the water leak seems to be somewhere on top of the

engine

>> and not the waterpump.. Anyone have any suggestions as to what

could be

>> leaking? Could it be something as simple as a hose or a clamp or
>> something alot more severe. It's not a very fast leak. The cooling
>> system builds up pressure when the engine runs and seems  to be

working

>> fine.  This question is kind of premature, as i'm not going to do

much

>> to the engine until after I get the body off and the frame finished

and

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 05:31:11 -0000
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: waterpump issues/steering wheel column

I was out and about the other day when I pulled out of the local gas
station after getting something to drink..I noticed the engine was
sounding a little funny but didn't really think much about it until
I noticed that the temperature guage was rising...FAST.

So I pull over, thinking that I was leaking coolant somewhere and
that was the cause of the overheating and was checking the engine
compartment when I noticed the water pump pulley was completely
sheared off (I'm almost 100 percent positive by the rusted state of
the waterpump that it's an original one) and had miraculously
managed to snag on one of the belts.

So I get the car towed back to my garage and leave it until I can
fix it, which happened to be this weekend.  I work a really weird
schedule, so this was really my only opportunity to get it
fixed..the fact that the PA tech session was in a week and this
could not have happened at a worse time!  This is where two
individuals come in.

I would formally like to thank Rich Acuti and Mike Cohee for helping
me to get the new waterpump installed.  Words cannot describe my
thanks for their help, but I want to publicly say THANK YOU! as well
as YOU ROCK  ;)   Since I had to work on Friday night, I gave them my
keys and garage door opener and they were nice enough to come over
while I was at work and disassemble my engine to get the waterpump
removed.

Then as if that wasn't enough, Rich took all of his day on Saturday
to help me install one of Hervey's new stainless pulley waterpumps
(Thanks to you too John for shipping that out quick in such a dire
emergency!), when he had planned to do his A/C that day.
And of course Mike helped me put the rest of the car on today,
taking time out of his busy day...and has helped me on numerous
times getting my car up to par.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Bill
Robertson, who I had the privelege of meeting about 3 weeks ago when
he came up this way and helped me install a new angle drive and
steering column bushing.  This was no easy job and took several
hours!  I also got to see his carbeurated Delorean and must say I'm
impressed.  The amount of room he has with his carbeurated engine
leaves lots of imagination for upgrades and modifications most PRVs
probably couldn't do in the engine compartment  :)

So again, THANK YOU!  You are all great amazing people and it's good
to know that the Delorean community has people like you to keep "the
dream" alive!!

Jack

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:12:23 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Fan Fix Dual 2 x 2 wiring

To add to this, I did not see the fan light come on when the fans
operated (and the fans did operate on my test drive, with A/C on.).

Where is this light located on the center console?  If a blown bulb,
is it easy to change?  Perhaps the wire I discussed has something to
do with power to the dash light?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...>

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:22:00 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

In my experience John will darn near answer the phone while he's in the
shower. Did you call him?

Dave S

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:28:41 -0000
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Steering shake

Hi,
my car has been put back together and things are going well.  I do
have a steering shake though, but don't know why its happening.
Here's some history

New Parts:
Steering Rack
Upper/lower ball joints
tie rods
wheel bearings

The car will drive fine, but once I hit a bump is starts to shake.
When I'm on the highway going much faster, the little bumps seem to
be magnified and the shake is bad.  When I'm on a flat service
though, I don't have a shake.  It doesn't seem to be the tires then,
right?  The shake isn't a side to side thing...its my whole steering
wheel going crazy.
The steering column is secure.  The steering bushing looked good. I
had two other experience delorean owners look at it too and both
said it looked fine.  I do have a replacement if need be.
Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Erik

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:56:26 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Cleaning Fuel Injectors

When I change plugs and wires next month, I would also like to clean
my fuel injectors, if it's easy to do so.  Are these difficult to
remove - do I have to watch frozen threads, etc.?  I have an
ultrasonic cleaner that I can use.  Also, how important is it to
replace fuels lines?

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 13:02:46 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: DeLorean website moved/updated...

Hey Guys,

Wanted to post that after a long couple of years getting my design
business up and running, I finally had an opportunity this past weekend
to get my DeLorean website moved off of Geocities and onto a real
server.  You can see the newly updated site at:

www.terradisedesign.com/delorean

There are still a few things that need to be finished...like the
projects and maintenance section.  I do however have a good amount of
new photos uploaded of Pigeon Forge and the parts cars, along with links
to my ebay store...so it's officially a commercial site now.  All
excellent condition parts sell for half of the regular vendor price
because they are used, and most of the useful stuff I have is listed,
but not all...so inquire if you need something in particular that's not up.

Thanks for your attention, and I hope you enjoy the site!

Josh
jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:00:05 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Fan Fix Dual 2 x 2 wiring

Take a look here:

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/Fanfixdual2x2.jpg

There'e a picture showing the wires.

Jace

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:12:32 -0400
From: "Sweet, Paul" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

I have seen these pictures already, which does not show the "extra" wire
I have attached to one of the orange wires in the plug.  It is a
red/black striped wire that looks like the connector blade slipped out
of the plug.  I just want confirmation of where I need to plug it into,
if needed at all.

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:21:34 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Thanks John, for returning my call.  The extra wire was what I
expected.  Per John, he started adding this extra wire (which
connects to the plug between the two orange wires) to activate
the "Cooling Fan Failure" light on the console when the fans are
running.  I think he just started doing this, but leaves the wire
loose for those that find the dash light annoying.  I, myself, like
the feature, as after some overheating problems due to the original
undersized circuit breakers, the dash light gives me some peace of
mind.

Thanks again, John!

Paul

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:46:11 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing the fuel pump

Robert, I'm going by memory here, so bear with me...

The worst part about it is getting into the tank itself.  First,
disconnect your battery and then the leads on the pump.  Then
disconnect the send and return lines from the top of the pump.  From
here, you can pop the boot out but be careful as the pickup and return
lines inside the tank are attached to the baffle.

If you are planning to replace the pickup screen (recommended when you
replace the pump) or any of the hoses or baffle, you should drain as
much fuel out as you can.  I used a cheap pump from Harbor Freight and
an empty gas can.  Get it down to practically nothing if possible.
Now is a good time to clean the inside of the tank.

Remove the clamp on the bottom of the pump and the clamp around the
pump.  It should just slide out of the boot.  You may have a heck of a
time getting the send line off of the check valve and might have to
cut it.  I ended up replacing mine as they were factory originals
anyway.  Unless your check valve is bad, you can re-use it but you
should install new copper washers.

>From here, just install your new pump and make sure all clamps are
tight before you put it back in.

I don't think I missed anything...

Johnny
5518

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:32:17 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Musty odor

Thanks Brandon.
I checked with Warren at DMCH and according to him I think only the
drivers side is still available or was it the pasenger? Anyways, if
I do it, I want both sides to match. I am having my seats and
carpeting ozoned tonight as a matter of fact. the condition of the
carpets and seats are rediculousley perfect, I would hate to replace
anything if I don't have too. I'll let you know how the ozone works.

I have vin # 3947 81' Black Auto.

Thanks for your input. we'll see what happens. Ron Wester actually
said there is a vendor out there sellin D carpet. I want to wait and
see what happens with the ozone before i do anything.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> Hey Byron,
>>
>> I'd check with DMCH again on those carpets as I recently talked

with

>> James and he said that they have new carpet to replace any

carpeting

>> in the D.  I was recently asking him about re-dying the carpets

and

>> I can't seem to find anyone who has done this.  Anyone out

there???

>> I figure I might replace my floor carpets as they stink as well

from

>> the car sitting outside too long.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, I know some people have replaced the padding
>> which you should be able to pickup from Lowe's or somewhere.  Then
>> just wet-vac the carpets and spray lots of Febreeze? lol.
>>
>> Anyways, let me know what happens if you try to clean them as I

will

>> have to do the same sometime in the near future.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brandon
>> Vin 3323
>>

>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_m...>

done

>> removing

panel

>> from

thou

the

>> of

when

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:22:22 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning Fuel Injectors

Paul,
Here's my two cents on this topic.

If those are the original fuel injectors don't bother wasting time or money
on cleaning them. I tried cleaning mine first, and they were pretty bad,
which did help. I wasn't thrilled still on the performance of the engine and
then replaced mine with new injectors. That made the biggest difference in
idle and running.

Your fuel hoses are plastic and over twenty years old. You can do the risk
assessment. REPLACE THEM.

Dave Sontos

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:22:34 -0000
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Steering shake

The same thing happened to me when I was driving my car home for the
first time after I bought it.  Under 40 mph, there was no shake (also
no shaking if the car was sitting still)...however at 70 mph, the
shaking was so violent that I was literally seeing double.  The
steering wheel would start to shake, and then the whole car started
shaking BAD.  Eventually, the shaking went away for the most part.  A
few weeks later, I was getting the tires changed on it when I looked
closely to find that my tires were literally falling apart at the
treads.  After I got the new tires on it, the car rode as smooth as
could be, at any speed.  Not sure if that problem translates to your
car though, especially if your tires are relatively new...

Eric C
VIN 1776